Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-21-2018, 3:38 AM
Veteran Member

Default Out of the country for a while. Sell car or hold on to it until I return?

Well my number is up and I will be away from home for ~11 months. I was thinking about selling my car while away. The car is paid off, 2009. But, I would save on insurance and registration. I am paying over $2k in insurance a year. On one hand seems like a good idea. On the other hand seems like a giant PITA to sell in time and then get a new ride upon return. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 12-21-2018, 3:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Have you thought about registering as a non-operational / non-op with the DMV, that will at least save you some money on annual registration fees.
And I think your insurance probably would be reduced if the car is just sitting somewhere in storage.

Another big factor is what make model and year is the car?
For example... if it's a Fiat ,
they are thinking about getting out of the US market (once again) and it might be wise to get rid of it before everyone else knows that the Fiat Corporation may become a pain to deal with retarding warranties and some parts.

Last edited by sealocan; 12-21-2018 at 3:51 AM..
Old 12-21-2018, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Have you thought about registering as a non-operational / non-op with the DMV, that will at least save you some money on annual registration fees.
And I think your insurance probably would be reduced if the car is just sitting somewhere in storage.
This. I used to do this before I had a wife/house to take care of it.
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:18 PM

I would say keep the car, and do the non-op DMV registration and insurance as the others have already stated.

A one year pump isn't that much time to either save up for another vehicle and you'll get the additional headache of getting a new car when you get back to restart your life. Based on what you said for age and it being paid off in '09 it's not really going to depreciate that much more during the time you're gone.

The only time I sold off my POV's was when I was PCS'd overseas for three years and had no idea where I would be returned to.
Old 12-21-2018, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input. I wa dreading selling/buying since it's a hassle. I will talk to my insurance agent about those freaking premiums!

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Go with USAA, they will place the car in a non-op status, liability only basically. and put the car in storage or have a friend or family hold onto the car. (so they can start it, from time to time)

The interest rates will keep going up, its bought and paid for, keep it!
Old 12-23-2018, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalniro View Post
Go with USAA, they will place the car in a non-op status, liability only basically. and put the car in storage or have a friend or family hold onto the car. (so they can start it, from time to time)

The interest rates will keep going up, its bought and paid for, keep it!
Geico for me is a lot cheaper than USAA. And when I left for an extended period of time, geico put my policy in “storage” or something like that, basically so I wasn’t paying the collision portion. I never messed with registration but I only left for 3-4 months at a time.
Old 12-23-2018, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

If you like the car, keep it. Put Stabil in the tank and make sure it's topped off. Buy a Battery Tender brand battery maintainer and keep it hooked up for the duration. Change your insurance to the minimum. Make sure they know the car will not be driven. Maybe register as non-op. Might not be worth the hassle.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 12-23-2018, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies. I will keep the car. Not worth the hassle of selling, etc. It won't be driven but I have a place to store it and someone to look after it.

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member