Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2018, 9:14 PM

Default Course Critique - Gray Ops Fundamental and Intermediate Handgun Course

Hi Everyone,

Not much of a poster, and more of a lurker, but I wanted to share my past weekend's handgun course I took with GrayOps Firearms Specialty Training at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.

I had a CCW for 4 years until the jurisdiction that issued me my CCW decided not to renew it because I had "no current threats." Yeah. So my CCW expired and is expired until I get a new one issued by an alternate jurisdiction. Being from a different jurisdiction, I was required to re-take an initial 16 hour CCW course. I have taken a few courses from GrayOps in the past and liked the format and the instructors and so I stuck with them. I originally trained with them through a recommendation by a friend and I now recommend GrayOps to people as well. My original CCW course and the renewal was with different outfits, which were both fine, but like I said, I like Gordon and his group. The CCW course is GrayOps Fundamental and Intermediate Handgun course. Two full days of education and training.

Class Name: CCW Training Course (Fundamental & Intermediate Handgun)
Date of Class: May 5-6, 2018
Class Location: Sacramento Valley Shooting Center
Class Duration: 16 hours over two days
Weather: Probably in the low 80s that weekend. Slight breeze. I beat the Sacramento summer heat.
Gear Used: I qualified with my Glock 26 and Glock 19. I used a Foxx OWB Hybrid holster and a Fobus two magazine paddle carrier. Some pants from LA Police Gear. I shot Speer Lawman, 124gr. I like the Speer stuff because it shoots "clean" and my hands aren't black at the end of the day. Before the California "ban" on mail order, I stocked up from SG Ammo, who were awesome. I learned that you can still buy mailorder, but it has to be through an FFL now. Maybe I can still order through them in bulk to make it worthwhile.

I typically use the Foxx OWB holster during the winter when I carry under a jacket or something. I have their IWB hybrid holster for when I don't have a big outer layer to cover up. It doesn't have an adjustable cant to it and is slightly tilted forward, so some people may not like that, but it works for me. The Fobus paddle pouch is a no frills magazine holster and gets the job done. It did have the two little nubs that would dig into my skin, but I shaved it down with my Dremel after the first day and it seemed to help. Never noticed it before, but it definitely bothered me this past weekend.

Having trained with GrayOps before, I knew what to expect and it was what I expected. You start off Day 1 in the morning with an "in class" portion under the awnings where you cover the important fundamentals (i.e. treat all firearms as though they're loaded, etc.) The emphasis always being safety. We discussed the current state of the law in California as well as the Country.

Day 2 also starts with an "in class" portion. Most of the class are holdovers that just completed Day 1 the day before, so it's mostly familiar faces by then. You review safety again and after some discussion, you're back out in front of the targets.

The nice thing is that you're getting "in class" education the whole time, without having to sit behind a desk. My initial CCW course was basically two full days of class and a range qualification. But to fill that time, it's basically stories. GrayOps puts the firearm in your hand and starts building your skills and confidence immediately and from a practical standpoint, I think this is very good.

One of the things I really like about GrayOps is the LEO background of Gordon and his team. They bring real life experience to the table and real life stories. Although it's unlikely that I'll ever have an encounter like they've had or that their colleagues have had, the scenarios make for good brain food.

We went through about 200 rounds on the first day and probably another 250-300 rounds the second day. Plenty of shooting. We shot from one knee, two knees, left side sitting, right side sitting, 180 degree turn around, one handed strong side, one handed weak side, etc. We did a drill that demonstrated just how long it takes to react, draw, and shoot....in relation to someone who decides to charge at you with a knife (hint: if someone flashes a knife, make some distance between you and them)

I wouldn't have minded having additional time to focus on the specifics of California law because it's such a cluster. Carry here, but not here, and this city has a ban on this type of ammo and blah blah blah. It's terrible. I'm sure there could be a 4 hour course just on these nuances alone.

Sacramento Valley Shooting Center is a great set up as well. Outdoor range with multiple bays of various distances. Cowboy town is one area as well. They have actual restrooms with plumbing. Awnings along the backs of the range with picnic tables.

Thanks everyone, be safe and keep up the fight against those that just refuse to acknowledge the fundamental underpinnings of the Second Amendment and what it's for and why we have it.
Old 05-11-2018, 3:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I took a carbine class with them a couple of years back....it was a pretty good class, except for the part where Gordon told me my bayo lug made my gun illegal lol.

Thanks for the write-up

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk