Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Default Placer - Updated Process

I just picked up my permit today. Timeline for reference:

Initial Interview: 8/27
Interview Confirmation email: 9/9 (13 days later)
Live Scan: 9/27
Live Scan Confirmation email: 11/21 (55 days later)
Pick-up: 11/25 (4 days later)

3 months from beginning to end.

The process has changed a tad bit in two spots. You can no longer pre-sign your permit if you livescan at the PCSO. This is the first change. This removes the need to have your livescan executed at the PCSO. I recommend getting your livescan executed as quickly as possible at any PO after you receive your confirmation email. I waited for the PCSO and this slowed me down by 3 weeks since they had changed the policy.

Once you receive your Livescan confirmation email you make an appointment at the PCSO to pick up the permit. You will sign, thumbprint and pick-up your permit all in the same visit! This is the second and final change to the process.

In hindsight i could have had this in 2 months if i had known about the process changes beforehand.

Hopefully this information helps others.

Thanks,
JD
Old 12-17-2013, 1:34 PM

I also recently got my CCW in Placer County, start to finish was 100days, very very easy process...
Old 12-22-2013, 8:50 AM

What an improvement! Mine took 9 months start to finish.
Thanks for the info,
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 PM

I just received my notice of approval this morning.... I need to schedule an appointment to pick up. Hopefully I can get it tomorrow. My timeline was:

Took class, and called to get interview appointment - May 19th
First available appointment, Sept 9th -110 days
Notice to get livescan, Oct 30th - 51 days
Livescan: 11/4 - 5 days
Notice of approval: 12/30 - 56 days

So, not including the wait to get my interview, 112 days. That's basically three and a half months from interview to permit. That's a long time if you ask me... If you count the wait to get the interview, you're looking at about seven months from the time you think you want to get a CCW permit to issue... YMMV
Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 PM

Picked up my CCW this morning... Date of issuance was marked Dec 13th. So it took them two weeks to getting around to sending me an email, after it was all done, waiting for me.
Old 01-01-2014, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasD View Post
Timeline for reference:

Question: How can one be approved for a carry license before the results of their LiveScan have been returned?

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-01-2014, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Question: How can one be approved for a carry license before the results of their LiveScan have been returned?
I'm not sure I follow your question. I don't thank either of the above examples state that the LTC was approved before the LiveScan results were in.
Old 01-01-2014, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasD View Post
I just picked up my permit today. Timeline for reference:

The process has changed a tad bit in two spots. You can no longer pre-sign your permit if you livescan at the PCSO. This is the first change. This removes the need to have your livescan executed at the PCSO. I recommend getting your livescan executed as quickly as possible at any PO after you receive your confirmation email. I waited for the PCSO and this slowed me down by 3 weeks since they had changed the policy.

Once you receive your Livescan confirmation email you make an appointment at the PCSO to pick up the permit. You will sign, thumbprint and pick-up your permit all in the same visit! This is the second and final change to the process.

In hindsight i could have had this in 2 months if i had known about the process changes beforehand.

Hopefully this information helps others.

Thanks,
JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellonPopper View Post
I just received my notice of approval this morning.... I need to schedule an appointment to pick up. Hopefully I can get it tomorrow. My timeline was:

Took class, and called to get interview appointment - May 19th
First available appointment, Sept 9th -110 days
Notice to get livescan, Oct 30th - 51 days
Livescan: 11/4 - 5 days
Notice of approval: 12/30 - 56 days

So, not including the wait to get my interview, 112 days. That's basically three and a half months from interview to permit. That's a long time if you ask me... If you count the wait to get the interview, you're looking at about seven months from the time you think you want to get a CCW permit to issue... YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellonPopper View Post
I'm not sure I follow your question. I don't thank either of the above examples state that the LTC was approved before the LiveScan results were in.

According to statute, you are not obligated to obtain training before your application is approved. You got your training before the LiveScan was conducted- so either you proceeded without an approval of your application by paying for and obtaining a certificate (which you are not obligated to do) or the issuing agency is having you jump through a super-statutory policy that defrauds applicants of application fees and money spent on training when they decide to deny a carry license application.

The statutorily complaint process is;

1) Submit application with 20% of the local fee and $95 for LiveScan
2) Get fingerprints rolled.
3) Receive determination (approval or denial) in writing from issuing agency. (Within 90 days from initial application or within 30 days of the LiveScan results- whichever is longer)
4) Get your training and certificate.
5) License is issued upon payment of the remainder of the balance owed for local fees.

If Placer doesn't do this, they are taking more money than they are entitled to if they deny an application.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-01-2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
According to statute, you are not obligated to obtain training before your application is approved. You got your training before the LiveScan was conducted- so either you proceeded without an approval of your application by paying for and obtaining a certificate (which you are not obligated to do) or the issuing agency is having you jump through a super-statutory policy that defrauds applicants of application fees and money spent on training when they decide to deny a carry license application.

The statutorily complaint process is;

1) Submit application with 20% of the local fee and $95 for LiveScan
2) Get fingerprints rolled.
3) Receive determination (approval or denial) in writing from issuing agency. (Within 90 days from initial application or within 30 days of the LiveScan results- whichever is longer)
4) Get your training and certificate.
5) License is issued upon payment of the remainder of the balance owed for local fees.

If Placer doesn't do this, they are taking more money than they are entitled to if they deny an application.
I chose to get my training first because I was offered a smoking deal on the training class. This is completely separate from Placer Co, and they have no stake in the training. So that aside, I don't see any difference from the process you state above, than what I followed. And from the training course I took, they assisted you with the submission process, and provided you with an entire packet for the process, and all the paperwork needed for the Utah non-resident CCW which is good for 36 other states. I wouldn't want to take this training 'after' the interview, but I guess there is no requirement either way. So, after I took my class, I believe the fees I paid were in line with what you state above. But your question didn't state anything about the training course.
  1. $20 to submit application, which is completed on your interview date.
    You need to be approved by the Sheriff's dept to move forward to LiveScan.
  2. THEN you pay your $95 to whichever agency you decide to get it done at. Nothing to do with the county.
  3. When your LiveScan comes back good, Then you go pay your $80 final fee and pick up your CCW

I can't see from this that Placer is collecting any fees out of the norm.
Old 01-06-2014, 5:17 PM

I am currently a CCW holder in Redding and may have to move to Placer County later this year. Shasta Co. is basically a "shall issue" county. Is Placer as 2nd Amendment oriented about showing "cause" for issuance?
Old 01-06-2014, 7:32 PM

I don't know in comparison, but they were certainly there to help. The officer that did my interview basically said he was my 'advocate' to help me through the process. I gave him my good cause, and he had me add some things to tweak it to just be sure.

I think of it this way. It was as if the Sheriff wants to be shall issue, but he wants you to provide him a good cause so he could justify his approval of your permit, in the event it was questioned under scrutiny. Think of him needing to defend your right to carry to an Anti. If that makes good sense, then you're good to go.

It wasn't like a test, and if you didn't get it right, you don't pass. They're definitely pro 2A...
Old 01-06-2014, 8:42 PM
Banned

Everytime I think about the nonsense we have to endure to get a permit I think of places like AZ, Fla, Ga, Va, Wa, and think to myself what a wonderful world. Sorry just get irked everytime I here the steps people go thru.
Old 01-22-2014, 1:39 AM

Im in the same boat, I have a ccw from sacramento co and will have to move to placer co later this year. The thought of applying for placer co ccw gives me the chills, not in a good way.
Old 01-22-2014, 5:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
Im in the same boat, I have a ccw from sacramento co and will have to move to placer co later this year. The thought of applying for placer co ccw gives me the chills, not in a good way.
Sacramento issuance standards are pretty arduous so they may just give you one without making you go through all the BS.
Old 01-22-2014, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
I have a co-worker that moved from Sac to Placer. It was very easy for him to get a Placer permit. The interviewer even said if you have already held a permit and only surrendered it due to a county change then there should be no problem. Sure enough, 2.5 months later his permit was ready.

JD