Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 12-31-2011, 4:43 AM

Default Gimple-Seed

I am a one handed shooter – right had, left hook.

Looking at the GI sling recommendations and various pics and videos of sling use technique, I suspect that I would just be sitting around for half the time fumbling around trying to move slip rings around, or trying to sling up in ways that are physically clunky or may just be impossible.

So far, a fixed 2 pt sling worn diagonally seems to be most usable, using the tight loop in the forearm as a hook-hold.

Of course, I am now, at best, an 8 MOA shooter kneeling (uhg!), so I could be (and likely am) completely wrong about sling type and use - hence my desire to do an upcoming course at Chabot.

So, my question – Should I just show up with my simple 2 pt sling and work with it? – Should I buy the recommended GI sling and give it a try? Any other sling types that y’all think might work?

I will likely be using Marlin 60 for my first event.
Old 12-31-2011, 8:19 AM
Banned

not to be offensive but, couldn't you use a peg on the hook hand and stuff the peg in a receiver hole in the stock or a platform? It would seem that the hook isn't helping is what I'm getting at. If you have another option, explore it. Your left hand needs to be able to provide positive direction to the muzzle. The other hand just works the trigger.

ching sling may help but needs a 3rd swivel stud. It'll help pull the rifle onto the hook hand if you set it up right, unfortunately it was designed by a 2-hander and I don't know that your hook design is compatible.

Wait.. I got it, mount a good thick beanbag on your hook. that'll give the stock something to sink into a bit.
Old 12-31-2011, 9:13 AM

Appleseed has a team of volunteers who specialize in finding a way to "make it work".

Members of the Adaptive Appleseed Team have been notified of your request for input and should be providing input in the near future. Stay tuned!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM

KnowFear,

If I understand you correctly, you have full use of your right hand, and you have a prosthetic hook in place of your left hand. Is this correct? I assume you are right eye dominant, yes?

If so, I see no reason to not try the GI web sling. The only issue you may have is adjusting things with one hand. One way around that is to have three slings, one for each of the positions (hasty for standing, loops for sitting and prone) and use QD swivels. That way you can just set it and forget it. But I would just start with one sling and see how it goes as far as adjusting with one hand. You may develop a technique that will work for you.

As far as supporting the fore end of the rifle, you do not want to grip it anyway. Gripping the fore end makes for bad shooting. If you can change out the hook for a "cradle" (envision a piece of PVC pipe cut in half lengthwise), it should work nicely. Simply place the fore end into the cradle. If you attend an Appleseed event, we will teach you how to find your Natural Point of Aim. You will then shift your NPOA to bring your sights onto the target by pivoting around your left elbow. We will teach you how to do that. No need to grip or apply pressure to the fore end in order to aim.

Please let me know if you do not have the capability to fabricate the cradle. I would be glad to help you out. Best wishes.

unbridled_liberty
Adaptive Appleseed Volunteer
http://www.facebook.com/unbridled.liberty

Project Appleseed National Website: www.appleseedinfo.org
Find shoots in your area: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.html

Last edited by Unbridled Liberty; 12-31-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 PM
CGSSA Leader

^^ What they said.

We've had shooters on the line who were wheelchair-bound, minus an eye, minus a leg... In every case we figured out a way to get them shooting and shooting well. You might be surprised at how well.

Don't let it stop you or even discourage you. I would, however, recommend that you post here where and when you plan to try an Appleseed, so we can get those specific instructors spun up and prepared. But it really won't be a problem.

The Marlin 60 is a good choice. Later in the day we may want to try a couple of things to speed up your preparation time (viz., loading) but we do that at every shoot, so don't worry about it. Your equipment will work fine once we figure out the best sling approach.
Old 12-31-2011, 1:16 PM

What a great bunch of folks here - I appreciate the suggestions.

Slings are cheap, so I might as well get a few styles and try them out at the event, and I like the quick disconnect idea.

Looks like a few upcoming events at Chabot soon, will post here when I find a good date.
Old 12-31-2011, 4:38 PM

KnowFear - I'm the local shoot boss for Chabot, just wanted to let you know I'm aware of your interest and issues. Let me know when you're coming out to a shoot, and we'll be ready. (I'm Nero over on the Appleseed board.)

Better yet, come out to one of my Saturday AM light rifle classes at Chabot - see:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23542.0

and we'll experiment with your setup there rather than when we are both under time pressure.
Old 01-02-2012, 3:43 AM

Will do. Ordered some slings, QD's, and a Boyds stock. Will go to one of the Saturday Light Rifle events later this month or early Feb.

Thanks all, this is going to be fun.
Old 01-02-2012, 3:49 PM

KnowFear,

Hey, if you don't mind, after the shoot please post up your experience on the Adaptive Appleseed forum http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=265.0

We always like to see Riflemen adapting, persisting and overcoming. And your experience may help someone else. Best wishes in 2012!

UL
Old 01-03-2012, 5:44 AM

I will happy to write up my experiences.

Another Q - Prone position, without a bipod (awk!) looks like it will be most problematic for the one-hander. I've looked through the pix on the appleseed sight, but not quit understanding how the sling is configured. Can anyone point me to some pix that show the position of sling/arm/rifle clearly?

I suspect I will have to fab up something like an angle iron or half tube to tack on to the stock (along the lines of what UL suggested above), and want to give it a cursory try before I show up at an event.
Old 01-03-2012, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowFear View Post
I will happy to write up my experiences.

Another Q - Prone position, without a bipod (awk!) looks like it will be most problematic for the one-hander. I've looked through the pix on the appleseed sight, but not quit understanding how the sling is configured. Can anyone point me to some pix that show the position of sling/arm/rifle clearly?

I suspect I will have to fab up something like an angle iron or half tube to tack on to the stock (along the lines of what UL suggested above), and want to give it a cursory try before I show up at an event.
How about a video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKyU2mPWIY

UL
Old 01-03-2012, 3:47 PM

perfect!
Old 01-12-2012, 4:50 PM

So, here is what I came up with:

- New Boyds stock - I love the original Marlin emblemed stock, and don't want to ding it up. Also, the quasi-pistol grip matches up fairly well with my other rifle.

- Scope moved forward to match up with scope placement on my other rifle. Also, it seemed that I was getting pretty close to the scope in prone position, and wouldn't want to get an eyebrow doughnut. (Maybe I am doing something wrong in prone position?)

- 2 slings to avoid need for awkward time consuming single sling adjustment. It turns out that I don't need to construct any sort of rail or slot, and that the sling tension works just fine against the "V" formed by my hook side and the pull knob.

Hopefully the 2 sling thing is ok to use during the Appleseed training. And, of course, I won't be using the bipod, but want to have is attached un-deployed, since that is how the rifle will be used in the future.

Old 01-12-2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
So, here is what I came up with: ....
- Scope moved forward to match up with scope placement on my other rifle. Also, it seemed that I was getting pretty close to the scope in prone position, and wouldn't want to get an eyebrow doughnut. (Maybe I am doing something wrong in prone position?)
Eye relief issue could be scope placement, or perhaps the length of pull of the stock is short on you.

Quote:
Hopefully the 2 sling thing is ok to use during the Appleseed training. And, of course, I won't be using the bipod, but want to have is attached un-deployed, since that is how the rifle will be used in the future.
Nothing wrong with the two slings, particularly given the circumstances. Only question is whether it's going to be easier to get them on & off your suppport arm than to adjust the length. You can adjust length one-handed once you get practiced at it; it's actually easier on the rifle where you can keep tension on the sling.

How much weight is in that bipod? Could get annoying standing position.
Old 01-12-2012, 6:08 PM

Not sure what optimum geometry of stock length/eye relied *should* be, but I just matched it up to how the FA91 is. Not much flexibility in scope placement for the FA91, and I wanted the Marlin to be as much like the FA1 as possible for the class. If all goes well, I may try the FA91 Sunday afternoon

No problem changing it around, other than re-sighting in the scope at the class.

Bipod is light weight aluminum, but can also be easily removed if need be - it's a sling-stud attachment type mount.

Don't worry, I gave it my best guess as to how things should be set up, but will be doing what the experts say at the class.

Off to the AS website to sign up me-n-my daughter! Unfortunately, daughter may only get to attend Saturday due to work sked.
Old 01-12-2012, 6:50 PM

....or not, Feb 18/19 Castro Valley is already sold out
Old 01-12-2012, 8:31 PM

Quote:
April still has 28 slots available!
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2632892051
Old 01-15-2012, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Don't let that stop you. Call the contact person listed on the event page and tell them you want to attend but it is sold out. He/she will know the range and if it may be possible to squeeze you in or not. Or, if they get enough extra people, they may be able to acquire another range bay and instructors to accommodate. Or, if the range is not too far, show up anyway. I have never been to an Appleseed where someone who is pre-registered does not show up for some reason. But I would still call the contact person ASAP and tell them that you are coming. That way they can at least put you at the head of the waiting list. Best wishes to you and your daughter. You are going to have a great time!

Oh, and be sure to pick up some straws from McDonald's to use as speed loaders.
Old 01-15-2012, 8:44 AM

No worries - I am juggling the email list here. So far a friend and my daughter are on for Saturday at least. If it is just us 2 or 3, we will contact the admin to see if Castro Valley is open. If a few more want to go, we will probably sign up for Sacramento for Saturday, and play it by ear for Sunday.

Either way a few of us will be showing up somewhere.

I always look for an excuse to get some extra tri-glicerides and highly salted fatty lipids, so I will be sure hit McDonalds (even though I already got one of those 120 rd tubulars from Midway)

Last edited by KnowFear; 01-15-2012 at 8:54 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

In another thread here the shoot boss (PurplePeople, who posted in this thread) was saying that they've set the limit conservatively so that they can shoot under the limited cover if it's pouring. If the weather looks good a couple of days before the event they'll add in more slots.