Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-02-2016, 3:18 PM

Default pro's and con's of registering vs not registering.

Hello, I am a new rifle owner and just purchased my first rifle just in time before the law changes next year.

1. My question is do we have to register it again as a RAW or can we just choose not to register it.

2.What are the pro's and con's of registering vs not registering.

3.Are you guys going to register your AW's?

4. If i choose not to register, would i need to modify my rifle?

Again sorry if these are newbie questions, I am new to this and would like to make sure i learn the laws CORRECTLY. There are so many invalid sources out there. Some people are telling me to register it and some are telling me not to register it, im so confused. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-02-2016, 4:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackdoorBlammer View Post
Hello, I am a new rifle owner and just purchased my first rifle just in time before the law changes next year.

1. My question is do we have to register it again as a RAW or can we just choose not to register it. Per Gun Attorney Don Kilmer, YES, you have to register it. Even though it was supposedly already registered when you bought it. Of course, you can choose not to, See below

2.What are the pro's and con's of registering vs not registering. Depending on how vigorously enforced the law is, you could face confiscation of your non-registered AW's and possibly jail time and/or fines. Registered of course means you can go to the range without fear of the above BUT you are now on a Government "LIST" (Moot IMHO as it was registered when you bought it)

3.Are you guys going to register your AW's? Many will, Many won't

4. If i choose not to register, would i need to modify my rifle? Yes. You would need to render it featureless. Pin collapsible stock, Remove flash-hider, remove or modify pistol grip to make it Un-pistolgrippy.

Again sorry if these are newbie questions, I am new to this and would like to make sure i learn the laws CORRECTLY. There are so many invalid sources out there. Some people are telling me to register it and some are telling me not to register it, im so confused. Thanks in advance!
Answers in bold BUT... all of the above is only very reasonable speculation until CA DOJ releases its regulations in regard to all of the BS laws passed this summer past. Meanwhile... Congratulations on your new rifle
What did you get?
Old 12-02-2016, 4:50 PM
Banned

Don't forget...you can't sell or transfer an AW. And there are destination requirements.

Don't register your rifle. Buy a bolt action upper and you're good to go...Keep the other upper for the day you need it or the law is repealed.

or

Get a .22lr upper, or conversion kit.

The registration covers Center-fire semi-automatic action rifles...NOT rim-fire, or Bolt Action.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 12-02-2016, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

"Un-pistolgrippy"...I like it!
Old 12-02-2016, 4:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I want a post count of 1.....NOT FAIR!!!! (whine whine whine)
Old 12-02-2016, 5:05 PM

If you Register, you can always un-register down the road if you want.

From DOJ AW FAQ:

Quote:
If the characteristics that make my firearm a category 3 assault weapon are removed, can I cancel the registration? Can I sell it as regular (non-assault weapon) firearm?

Yes. If the defining characteristics establishing a firearm as a category 3 assault weapon are removed, it is no longer an assault weapon and the registration may be canceled. However, once the registration is canceled, you can never replace the characteristic(s) that make it an assault weapon, or you will be in possession of an illegal weapon. To cancel an assault weapon registration, contact DOJ at (916) 227-2153. Once the registration has been canceled, the firearm can be sold or transferred like any other firearm (non-assault weapon).
Old 12-02-2016, 5:20 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post

From DOJ AW FAQ:
You would think that ^ would make this decision very easy for people, but for some reason it doesn't. Lots of very stubborn gun owners refusing to see that registration might actually benefit them more than not registering, or at the very least, it wouldn't likely make things worse for them. Their loss. I'll be registering every lower I own - there's plenty of time to buy more for featureless/compliant purchases and builds in the future, not sure why everyone is in such a big rush to buy or make featureless rifles right now. The kneejerk reaction with gun owners is usually to do exactly the opposite of what a liberal state government asks, without any regard to what each thing actually means for them. I think if a liberal legislator passed a law that said "Everyone is entitled to 1 free gun of their choice per year, no strings attached", most calgunners would reply "LIKE HELL am I going to comply with that!! On free gun day, I'm going to go pay double the MSRP for one instead, that'll show them! Damn hippies trying to tell me what to do."

Don't get me wrong, the AW ban isn't exactly a gift from the liberals. It's not. But that doesn't mean the best course of action is, by default, to do exactly the opposite of what it says.

Even if you can't de-register, just replace the lower with a non-RAW one, remove the evil features, and voila, you can do whatever you want with it again.

But alas, if you do choose to register, prepare for an incoming bombardment of comments about being a sheep from 1/4 of the members here. The same 1/4 of members who will cry and moan in 5 years about how they wish they had a RAW or two they could play with, but missed their chance. It's not like I'm speculating here - go back and look at threads about RAWs from 5-10 years after the last AW registration in 2000. Nobody ever said "Man I'm so glad I'm not one of those sheep who (at the time) get to shoot large-capacity magazines with their pistol grips and adjustable stocks and free-state magazine releases. Sucks to be those guys. Hey has anyone seen my mag magnet? Nevermind I found it, it's over here by my thread protector. What was I saying? Oh ya, those guys who registered were suckers."

Last edited by CandG; 12-02-2016 at 5:37 PM..
Old 12-02-2016, 5:20 PM

Pro for registering is that the guys working for the governments job just got easier when your number is called they will come knocking because they know you got it.
Old 12-02-2016, 5:24 PM

A lot of Calguns will register. But the majoroty of gun owners in CA WILL not comply or know about it.
Old 12-02-2016, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
Pro for registering is that the guys working for the governments job just got easier when your number is called they will come knocking because they know you got it.
And as for the guns already registered?
Old 12-02-2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
And as for the guns already registered?
Have LEO burn them.
Old 12-02-2016, 5:41 PM

Default do a little reading on this website

You have to make the decision to register or not for yourself. The only way to do that is to spend a significant amount of time researching all the nuances of the law. If you are already a gun enthusiast you should be able to comprehend it all much faster than your average CA citizen. If you were to buy a few cases of good beer or wine and spend every other evening reading relevant conversations on this website, you would not only be well informed, with your hypothetical drinking and typing, you would also be a good representation of an average cal guns member at 7 in the evening. Most important thing, shoot that new gun.
Old 12-02-2016, 8:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

OP is trolling.............

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 12-02-2016, 9:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
OP is trolling.............
Yep.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 12-03-2016, 7:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Have LEO burn them.
Cool bro, will do.
Quote:
Have LEO burn them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 8:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My AR 7.5" pistol, custom made and engraved, will be registered so I can keep shooting it here. There are no work arounds for the pistol.

The other AR rifles, I'll wait and see.
Old 12-03-2016, 8:56 AM

I converted mine to featureless and kept the parts so if I move or the law gets repealed ( not in my lifetime I'm sure. )

#1 reason so I don't give those blood suckers any more money then they already take. Every dollar you give them they will use to further erode your 2a rights in California.
Old 12-03-2016, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post
Don't forget...you can't sell or transfer an AW. And there are destination requirements.
This is the most overlook requirement of all in terms of AW registration in my opinion. And it is the one that keeps me from registering my rifles. I think a lot of people will get nailed because of this.

Quote:
Don't register your rifle. Buy a bolt action upper and you're good to go...Keep the other upper for the day you need it or the law is repealed.
It's nice and good as long as you get rid of that 5.56 upper with the evil feature on it. Remember Constructive Possession? Even in the case where you ditch that flash hider on the upper, when paired it with the lower, the lower must be featureless too. That is, it must be free of collapsible stock and a pistol grip.

Quote:
or

Get a .22lr upper, or conversion kit.

The registration covers Center-fire semi-automatic action rifles...NOT rim-fire, or Bolt Action.

Adapt and overcome.
Same here. Constructive Possession in both cases.

OP, if you're truly new to firearms, the best bet is either registration or going featureless. Don't roll the dice with your freedom and gun rights by playing cat and mouse with the system. It's not worth it. At least, that's how I do with mines.
Old 12-03-2016, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

Has someone stopped to ask what gun OP has? Everyone assumes it's an AR or AK, but the answers are different if it's a 10/22 or a mini-14 or a Rem 700.
Old 12-03-2016, 9:46 AM

Most laws are only as good as to which they will be enforced. Everyone running chicken on this thread and others, need to understand the majority of LEO in this state have no desire to enforce these BS laws on the good guys. They will take AW's away from the folks who are felons, gangmembers, and all around bad people, but they will not be looking for the average Joe firearms owner who failed to register. I am not talking out of my ***, cuz I live around it everyday. My advise is to continue to shoot your firearms as always, just strive to be that average Joe.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:28 PM

If one registers does it become a RAW on the Federal list or only CA's?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackdoorBlammer View Post

1. My question is do we have to register it again as a RAW or can we just choose not to register it.

2.What are the pro's and con's of registering vs not registering.

3.Are you guys going to register your AW's?

4. If i choose not to register, would i need to modify my rifle?

LOL. You know exactly what you're doing.

Old 12-04-2016, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
LOL. You know exactly what you're doing.
I think you're right. Created account, 1 post, then immediately logged off and hasn't been on since.
Old 12-04-2016, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
My AR 7.5" pistol, custom made and engraved, will be registered so I can keep shooting it here. There are no work arounds for the pistol.
The DFM is a compliance mod for a pistol. No registration.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 AM

I think the next move will be charging people who have registered "assault weapons" a registration fee per year, just like what you pay for car registration. And also with prop 63 being a success for the antis, you can bet there's going to be plenty of anti gun ballot iniative coming and the sky is the limit on what BS that might entailed. No, we are no longer in the climate we were in during the last assault weapon registration. They are embold
Old 12-05-2016, 5:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSteveGT View Post
I think the next move will be charging people who have registered "assault weapons" a registration fee per year, just like what you pay for car registration. And also with prop 63 being a success for the antis, you can bet there's going to be plenty of anti gun ballot iniative coming and the sky is the limit on what BS that might entailed. No, we are no longer in the climate we were in during the last assault weapon registration. They are embold
next they are going after detachable magazine rifles. And before someone says , it, No they didnt do that this time.
Old 12-05-2016, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSteveGT View Post
"If I could’ve gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them — Mr. and Mrs. America turn ’em all in — I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren’t here."
-Sen. Feinstein (D-CA)

Well, the votes are here now....

Old 12-05-2016, 8:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
"If I could’ve gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them — Mr. and Mrs. America turn ’em all in — I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren’t here."
-Sen. Feinstein (D-CA)

Well, the votes are here now....

No they aren't. The Republicans have the majority.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-05-2016, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
No they aren't. The Republicans have the majority.
I know the quote was regarding the National AWB of '94, but having been said by Di-Fi who is a CA senator, figured it was relevant at the state level as well, which is decidedly NOT Republican majority. And by votes, I mean citizen voters, not legislator voters. The votes in CA are most certainly there for "round 'em all up" legislation, if it was packaged up and presented as a "for the children" proposition. All it would take is a pro-pot or pro-gay rider and it would pass with flying colors.

Last edited by CandG; 12-05-2016 at 8:53 AM..
Old 12-05-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I know the quote was regarding the National AWB of '94, but having been said by Di-Fi who is a CA senator, figured it was relevant at the state level as well, which is decidedly NOT Republican majority. And by votes, I mean citizen voters, not legislator voters. The votes in CA are most certainly there for "round 'em all up" legislation, if it was packaged up and presented as a "for the children" proposition. All it would take is a pro-pot or pro-gay rider and it would pass with flying colors.
The word you are looking for is democrat super majority. I see that one public school healthcare bill coming back where it was a bunch of stuff dealing with schools and a "Oh by the way, turn in all assault weapons" shoved in at the very end.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbutay View Post
If one registers does it become a RAW on the Federal list or only CA's?
It's all CA bull****...
Old 12-05-2016, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I think you're right. Created account, 1 post, then immediately logged off and hasn't been on since.
Thank you.
Old 12-05-2016, 3:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTrader View Post
This is the most overlook requirement of all in terms of AW registration in my opinion. And it is the one that keeps me from registering my rifles. I think a lot of people will get nailed because of this.

It's nice and good as long as you get rid of that 5.56 upper with the evil feature on it. Remember Constructive Possession? Even in the case where you ditch that flash hider on the upper, when paired it with the lower, the lower must be featureless too. That is, it must be free of collapsible stock and a pistol grip.

Same here. Constructive Possession in both cases.

OP, if you're truly new to firearms, the best bet is either registration or going featureless. Don't roll the dice with your freedom and gun rights by playing cat and mouse with the system. It's not worth it. At least, that's how I do with mines.
There is no constructive possession
Old 12-05-2016, 3:40 PM

All the people that register their AR's are part of the problem with this state, and probably believe prop 63 is a good thing and voted in favor of it. You give the government way to much credit to come and track you down or pull you over to bust you with your un-registered rifle. Sacramento, the gun Nazis, and DOJ still have no clue what they are doing about the wording of these laws, let alone getting a handle on enforcing it. If you truly believe in your constitutional rights, then you have to hold to them because we need a culture change in California.
Old 12-05-2016, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Un-pistolgrippy.
Best new phrase of the day. You win CalGuns.net for the day.
Springfield Armory & Smith&Wesson & Remington & Henry & Marlin
------------------------------------
"Why does anyone need an AR-15?
You mean you don't know? So what kind of reporter are you? It's easy! It's a great friggen gun!" - Alan Korwin, 2015
Old 12-05-2016, 4:04 PM

Register keep your gun
Don't register go to jail
Old 12-05-2016, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
I'm sure that will be a simple, quick and inexpensive process...
Old 12-05-2016, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

my vajay jay hurts

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 12-05-2016, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtenShooter View Post
All the people that register their AR's are part of the problem with this state, and probably believe prop 63 is a good thing and voted in favor of it. You give the government way to much credit to come and track you down or pull you over to bust you with your un-registered rifle. Sacramento, the gun Nazis, and DOJ still have no clue what they are doing about the wording of these laws, let alone getting a handle on enforcing it. If you truly believe in your constitutional rights, then you have to hold to them because we need a culture change in California.
Lol, here we go again... If someone disagrees with you, you accuse them of being liberals. If someone didn't vote for Obama I bet you called them racist too.

You're right, very few people will get arrested merely for having an unregistered AW. But it could certainly turn an otherwise routine and uneventful police encounter about something else into a really bad day.

I suppose you're immune from things like getting pulled over, or having girlfriends call the cops on you when they go nuts, or someone having a medical emergency in your home, or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
my vajay jay hurts
Apply some of this ointment 2x per day

Old 12-05-2016, 9:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtenShooter View Post
Okey dokey. So, do you wanna be the test case when you get pulled over and arrested for having an illegally configured weapon? S**t happens you know. I promise to visit you in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepug99 View Post
Register keep your gun
Don't register go to jail
It is not that simple...

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...