Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-19-2014, 9:51 PM

Default Deep cell battery for thrower

Hey all, I just bought a Do All White Wing thrower and have some questions as far as what kind of battery to get. I know I need a deep cell but what size am I going to need. I'm going to be going on a camping trip with a bunch of friends at a spot near Manzanar (the Japanese internment camp during WWII) and we'll be throwing about 500 targets.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

My google-fu found a recommendation from a knowledgeable person who maintains five dc powered throwers and he recommended an Interstate SRM-27. It's a marine deep cycle with high cranking amps. Just guessing but bringing a set of jumper cables to recharge it if needed might be a worthwhile precaution for the first outing to see how it goes.

Looks like a cool trap thrower, very jelly Have fun!

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 02-20-2014, 4:18 AM

How about a Harbor Freight solar charger?
You can get a really nice one if you have the money, OSH or Camping World.
I bought a HF for less than 20 and according to my volt meter, it does what it's supposed to for my needs.
Just sayin.
Old 02-20-2014, 4:58 AM
CGSSA Associate

Buy two 6 volt AGM batteries. You won't be disappointed.
Old 02-20-2014, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri750 View Post
How about a Harbor Freight solar charger?
You can get a really nice one if you have the money, OSH or Camping World.
I bought a HF for less than 20 and according to my volt meter, it does what it's supposed to for my needs.
Just sayin.
The solar charger idea is solid, but I've had issues with the HF models x2, they seem to be short-lived. I bought this one and it's held up after about a year's worth of intermittent use.

Old 02-20-2014, 8:18 AM

I've read a lot of good reviews on "Goal Zero" products, would something like this work, or should I get a separate battery and charger?

http://www.goalzero.com/p/166/goal-z...ator-kit/24:2/
Old 02-20-2014, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFerg1595 View Post
I've read a lot of good reviews on "Goal Zero" products, would something like this work, or should I get a separate battery and charger?

http://www.goalzero.com/p/166/goal-z...ator-kit/24:2/
Spendy option. What you need to know with something like this is how many watts it'll produce. Given the "150" in the product's name, I would guess that it's a 150 watt model, but that's just a guess. Didn't see any power info, other than 12vdc, in the description.

What you also need to know is the amp draw of the thrower, should be on a plate somewhere if it isn't worn off or painted over.

Amps = watts / volts or 12.5amps = 150watts (supposed) / 12 volts

If your thrower draws more than 12.5 amps, which it most likely does, then you'll need the battery. Such devices aren't typically made as a sole power source for your application.
Old 02-20-2014, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Since I could not find anything on the product regarding actual power consumption there is really no way to make a decent recommendation of battery sizing.

Post the marking on the provided power supply or on the device itself regarding power. Alternately you could use something like a watt meter or a "kill a watt" to directly measure the power during operation for say 10-20 clays then extrapolate to your target of 500 clays.

Once you have the power loading for the event than you can figure the amp-hr capacity requirements for the battery.

Forget about using a solar panel to recharge any decent sized battery or you will be waiting a long time. A small generator like Honda EU-1000 or 2000 will charge a decent sized deep cycle battery in a few hours. Depending on the current draw of the thrower you might be able to just run it directly off a generator. Make certain you consider the continuous output capabilities and not the peak output for the generator (e.g. the EU-1000 supplies only ~8 amps continuous).

Might as well take a few old fashioned manual throwers just in case.

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 02-20-2014, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Do not overthink this.
Get a group 27 deep cycle battery.
Take a set of heavy duty jumper cables Which you should allready have. to recharge it if needed.
Or a small generator and battery charger.
Old 02-20-2014, 9:47 AM

Did all the calculations and found out that the interstate SRM 27 will power the thrower for about 3000 throws. That's more than 3 times what I need. So it looks like there's no need for a charger. Thanks everyone for your help, I'm fairly new to this forum and all the help and friendliness I've gotten on here is incredible.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

as always, COSTCO has some of the cheapest battery prices and the 100 month warranty...

Have fun on the trip...

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

I use the costco deep cycle batteries in both my trucks and my toy hauler. I like the stud terminals on top. I use wing nuts to hold the battery cable rather than hex nuts.......no tools needed to disconnect a battery. Top post cable ends always get stretched out and this doesn't happen with a ring terminal. I also crimp my own ends on cables when needed. Use dielectric grease on any electrical connections. It keeps them from corroding. I rewired most of my 79 pickup and used the grease. 6 months later there isn't any corrosion on the battery cables. It keep air and water from getting to the connections.

The costco batteries seem to last about 5 years. Some of mine sit for a long time without being used or charged. For the price, the life doesn't seem bad. Luckily I can use the same size battery in all three vehicles, so that means all 5 batteries are the same and can be swapped in a pinch.
Old 02-20-2014, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^ Except that deep cycle batteries should not be used for starting engines. They are not designed for the quick very heavy draw of a starter. This would not apply if they are deep cycle/start batteries.

Deep cycle batteries are designed for a lower constant longer time draw such as a trolling motor or lights etc in a travel trailer/motorhome.

The best ones to get would be the golf cart batteries. That is what we use in the trailers/motorhomes/live aboard boats etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 6:43 PM

I have a Walmart marine car sized battery. I have the thrower and also the wobbler and have never came even close to draining the battery.
Old 02-21-2014, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Do not overthink this.
Get a group 27 deep cycle battery.
Take a set of heavy duty jumper cables Which you should allready have. to recharge it if needed.
Or a small generator and battery charger.
+1
Or get long jumper cables and start your engine when the thrower slows down. You can use short jumper cables if you're good shots.

Old 02-21-2014, 6:00 PM
Superfluous
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENVYGREEN View Post
I have a Walmart marine car sized battery. I have the thrower and also the wobbler and have never came even close to draining the battery.
Bingo. ENVYGREEN nailed it.

To the OP. You should of asked for people that actually OWN a thrower with a wobbler to post up a good answer.

I've had the same battery for 2 years + on my White Wing thrower.
My cheap car battery will run a motor driven thrower with a motor driven wobbler for 4 hours easy. NON STOP use. Keep in mind the wobbler motor is running all the time. That is a constant battery draw.

The thrower motor works only when refilling the thrower for the next clay.
Therefore it has intermittent use.

Below is the Battery data.

My battery is a Super Start Economy battery from O'Reillys.
Part # Super Start® Economy - Battery 24/24R48

I think I paid 69 bucks for it on sale. I use a solar charger to juice it up the day before we take it out. If it's heavily overcast. I will use my little Shumacker 6 /2 amp automatic charger till it reads charged. I charge at 6 amps.
(Model SE-82-6)

Since I am sitting right next to my White Wing thrower out here in the garage. I will check my battery voltage. The last time I used it was around 2 months ago with a bunch of Calgunners out at Christmas Tree lane. It has been sitting in my garage since then with no charger on it.

I am using a Amprobe AM240 to read the voltage. I will back up the reading with a Fluke T5-600.

Gimme a minute here.............

OK... 2 months no charging and it was used for around 4 hours on the last trip. Below is the voltage test data.

Voltage test 1with AM240: 12.70 volts
Voltage test 2 with Fluke T5: 13.0 volts

My point is. Buy the biggest cheap azz car battery for around 60 - 80 bucks.

Don't let the voltage get below 10 volts. And it will last you YEARS.

Thats my experience. Yours may be different.

-T

Last edited by Twystd1; 02-21-2014 at 6:03 PM..
Old 02-21-2014, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Group 27; battery you find in an ancient Cadillac. Good luck humping that into the boonies... I like the $500 solar battery charger option. But if the shooting site is accessible to a car, just jumper to the thrower off the car or truck...
Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
^^^ Except that deep cycle batteries should not be used for starting engines. They are not designed for the quick very heavy draw of a starter. This would not apply if they are deep cycle/start batteries.

Deep cycle batteries are designed for a lower constant longer time draw such as a trolling motor or lights etc in a travel trailer/motorhome.

The best ones to get would be the golf cart batteries. That is what we use in the trailers/motorhomes/live aboard boats etc.
I double checked those costco batteries today. They are a marine deep cycle. They are listed at 700 and 500 amps. One ratings is cold cranking amps and the other is marine cranking amps. They are 85 amp hour batteries. It appears they are made for starting boats and RV's. They may not be ideal for an auto battery but they seem to fit my needs pretty well. I have seen auto batteries with higher CCA ratings. My 88 K5 Blazer 350 tbi is easy to crank over. The 406 sbc (in my pickup) at 10.2:1 CR with 12 degrees of initial advance would sometimes work the stock starter a bit. I usually run a gear reduction starter and it has no problem on these batteries.
Old 02-22-2014, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^ OK So the costco are the start/deepcycle dual purpose kind. They work for both applications. That is what I used in my boat.
A straight deep cycle battery is not a good choice for a start battery. The dual purpose kind works fine and was designed to starting and deep cycle use.