Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-08-2013, 1:16 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I got tick bite fever from a tick in south africa. That was no fun.
Old 03-08-2013, 1:34 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Now that i think about it i might have had lyme disease too. I had a big *** ring on my leg from a tick. The doctor gave me antibiotics for it. But i dont think they knew about lyme disease back then lol
Old 03-08-2013, 2:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
This includes when arriving back to your home.....my wife won't let my hunting clothes in the house during turkey season....one too many have crawled on her that I brought in. They are very sneaky and will find places to hide and wait...pockets, hair, etc. inside shirts. 90% of the ones I've found haven't bitten yet. I would say last year I had over 100 I found on me throughout the season.
Brought one back from pig hunting last weekend. I found it while it was looking hungrily at my cat.
Old 03-08-2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
last year I picked 3 off of me with toilet paper crushing them in the paper and throwing it in the toilet without flushing. A couple hours later all 3 were on the bathroom wall wtf?? Apperently they dont drown too well and can crawl out of a toilet.
Gland you posted this. We live in a dangerous world and the biggest threats can come in small packages1
Old 03-08-2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Brought one back from pig hunting last weekend. I found it while it was looking hungrily at my cat.
@pie eater and napalmcheese

I posted about this and the threat a while ago, and I got in an argument with some moron who insisted that deer ticks are just ticks that are on deer when science tells us that there are specific species of ticks that carry lyme's disease as well as other virus types that can infect and cause disease in humans.

Regarding Africa including S. Africa that place in a cornucopia for disease the only place I imagine that could be worse would be India. Malaria, yellow fever, sleeping sickness....the list goes on

I looked at the roster for the East Africa Trading company during the 18th century in my school days and the average Englishman agent in Africa lasted about 3-6 months before they were buried and entered into the company roster or obituary. I knew the son of a president of Air France and he told me their employees who were based in Africa were still getting tropical diseases that the best doctors in France/Europe at that time could not diagnose or cure.

Last edited by Warrior King; 03-08-2013 at 8:45 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 PM

I'd just take that shoot through mesh off the blind, it's a PITA. Whatever you do don't shoot expandable broadheads or a shotgun through it, it'll catch the blind on fire.

DFG's Guide To Turkey Hunting

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...cumentID=23229

Here's our Turkey Hunting page for CA.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/califor...nfo-maps-links

If you're a bowhunter

http://www.jesseshunting.com/bowhunting-wild-turkeys
Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Got my Box Call yesterday and did a little testing of it outside, a little while later my daughter came home from school and we went outside to practice the call and in our yard was a turkey that must have came to my earlier call.

My daughter and I are excited. Today on the way to school she asked me if we were going to have better success than duck hunting (lots of fun but few ducks) I said Probably not but does it matter, she said Nope just getting out will be fun.
Old 03-12-2013, 1:00 PM
CGSSA Associate

That's a real good sign!!
Old 03-12-2013, 5:37 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

You have headnets and camo everything?
Old 03-12-2013, 7:22 PM

"You have headnets and camo everything?"

Good question. I have Cammo everything but plain green army pants does it matter if I am using a pop up blind?
Old 03-12-2013, 8:09 PM

My preference is to wear the 3D ghille type suits that bass pro makes on the cheap. They also used to have this nice small folding chair with a shoulder strap. Take a few mouth calls and I'm good to go. Once you start bringing blinds, etc you have to take it all down to move.

As far as guns go I just use an old 870. Sit up against free and work my calls with the gun in both hands... With mouth calls you don't need a steady grip and can get into the action faster.
Old 03-12-2013, 8:15 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbshooter View Post

Good question. I have Cammo everything but plain green army pants does it matter if I am using a pop up blind?
I wouldnt limit myself to just the blind. Maybe you can hear one 400 or 500 yards away gobbling all day and he wont come. You mite want to try and sneak to within 70 or 80 yards and call to bring him in. Or you mite get tired of sitting in that thing and want to stretch your legs. With the blind you are only going to be able to call to one small area. You could hike around and call into 50 areas the same size in a day which would increase your odds of killing one 50 times.

I think blinds are great if you know where birds are and nobody else is hunting them. But i just dont know about public land its tough.

The green pants should be fine.
Old 03-12-2013, 8:27 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

This is what i wear unless its super cold. There is a headnet tucked under my hat that i pull down when they get close. I just take cover behind a bush and call them right to me no blind or decoy

Old 03-12-2013, 8:59 PM

Hey brother where you hunting at? I've had great success in mariposa county in hunters valley three seasons in a row. I didn't read all the posts on here but I recommend hooks custom calls for your calls. There box call is 20.00 and there assassin bronzed glass call paired with a yellow heart striker is deadly. I think its good to get a gobble call I liketo gobble back at a bird to get him all riled up. As for decoys just get a few of the redhead hen dekes there like 20.00 the and a jake. I have used tom decoys but some younger birds might back down from a tom decoy but never a jake! Take care russ
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ209 View Post
Hey brother where you hunting at? I've had great success in mariposa county in hunters valley three seasons in a row. I didn't read all the posts on here but I recommend hooks custom calls for your calls. There box call is 20.00 and there assassin bronzed glass call paired with a yellow heart striker is deadly. I think its good to get a gobble call I liketo gobble back at a bird to get him all riled up. As for decoys just get a few of the redhead hen dekes there like 20.00 the and a jake. I have used tom decoys but some younger birds might back down from a tom decoy but never a jake! Take care russ
Well planning on Cache Creek BLM with my 11 year old daughter on the Jr Hunt day. Thanks for the tip on Hunters Valley I'll check it out. Ive got a primos box, slate and mouth calls, also a Crow call since a friend suggested they are good to get a response from turkeys. Thanks for the advice on a gobbler call I was wondering how people use those. I have a hen and jake decoy. I think Im good with gear now all I need is skill and some luck

Last edited by Newbshooter; 03-12-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 8:09 AM

Don't ever gobble-call on public land.

I've had guys shoot my decoys, always be safe. Don't ever assume you're alone.
Old 03-13-2013, 8:35 AM

I don't bother with the pop up blinds anymore, too often I set up and they went the other way. I carry a stakeout blind, but more often than not just camo and natural cover. Forget bug repellants, they stink....The best product available imho is perenthin, you treat you clothing and it last up to 6-8 washings, I haven't had a problem with ticks since I switched over.

Do you have a place to hunt? I have two great locations, one in Livermore and another in Fremont, both have great natural cover and offer very good hunting - I love to see young people get involved in the sport of hunting and would be happy to have you both come and try your luck.
Old 03-13-2013, 8:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

If you're going to stay in the blind, wear black.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM

I read a few responses and I don't recall anyone mentioning a blind stool to sit on. If you end of getting a blind, you may want to invest on comfortable stools to sit on for you and your daughter.
Old 03-13-2013, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by center_x View Post
I read a few responses and I don't recall anyone mentioning a blind stool to sit on. If you end of getting a blind, you may want to invest on comfortable stools to sit on for you and your daughter.
You're absolutely right! However since he is going to the Cache Creek area and there is no vehicle travel around forget it it. I wouldn't even advise a blind in this area. Its going to be hard enough just having his equipment along with his young daughter.

This place is big, has turkeys but is not pack in friendly. Keep the equipment to a minimum! FWIW there is a nice clean cheap motel 4 miles up the road in Clearlake Oaks too, and some places to eat.
Old 03-13-2013, 2:21 PM

I do have stools I used for duck blinds, got the blind to try out on suggestion that it would be easier to use with my daughter. Im a strong guy and don't mind the challenge of hiking with some extra gear. I'll be able to carry most of the gear , my daughter can easily carry her rifle,ammo and a small cammo pack that has some extra clothes if needed

I guess I'll pick up some stake out cammo if I decide to ditch the blind.
Old 03-13-2013, 3:01 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
I do have stools I used for duck blinds, got the blind to try out on suggestion that it would be easier to use with my daughter. Im a strong guy and don't mind the challenge of hiking with some extra gear. I'll be able to carry most of the gear , my daughter can easily carry her rifle,ammo and a small cammo pack that has some extra clothes if needed

I guess I'll pick up some stake out cammo if I decide to ditch the blind.
Check the weather if its going to be warm I just go out in my long sleeve t shirt in the morning no use lugging around a jacket all day if you dont need it. And although its snowed and rained on me up there most days you will be sweating walking around.
Old 03-13-2013, 3:08 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

And if its warm there are going to be snakes. They are still a little sluggish in the spring and I just use rocks to kill them if your daughter wants the rattles or you wanna fry one up.
Old 03-13-2013, 3:15 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Well planning on Cache Creek BLM with my 11 year old daughter on the Jr Hunt day. Thanks for the tip on Hunters Valley I'll check it out. Ive got a primos box, slate and mouth calls, also a Crow call since a friend suggested they are good to get a response from turkeys. Thanks for the advice on a gobbler call I was wondering how people use those. I have a hen and jake decoy. I think Im good with gear now all I need is skill and some luck
Personaly I would not use a jake decoy on public land.
Old 03-13-2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Personaly I would not use a jake decoy on public land.
Ive been getting all sorts of different advice on using and not using decoys on public land. the DFG said not to use because of the possibility of other Hunters shooting at it and possibly you, are there other reasons?
Old 03-13-2013, 5:07 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Ive been getting all sorts of different advice on using and not using decoys on public land. the DFG said not to use because of the possibility of other Hunters shooting at it and possibly you, are there other reasons?
Nope I would just worry about some dumbass peppering your girl. A hen decoy is not that bad but I would think a jake and a gobble call would probably bring in 20 other hunters.
Old 03-13-2013, 6:27 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I used to hunt public land a good amount for 2-3 years before I decided I was done wasting my time. I found that any gobbler that gobbled had a number of guys sprinting to it as it was a death sentence or at least an education. I would not bring a jake decoy on public and if you hear a gobble try to get to it as fast as possible but be aware it may be another hunter. In the end I learned the best way to hunt them is spot and stalk. The classic call em in only works with limited pressure and nobody around to sneak in on you and wreck your setup.

My experience was at spenceville and daugherty hill.
Quote:
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 03-13-2013, 9:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Between me and Pieeater, we have killed 200 turkeys. You come here with questions and we give you answers.

Forget the deeks, forget the blind, call the birds and see what happens. If you don't, so be it. You'll wish you listened to us. It's really that simple.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
I don't bother with the pop up blinds anymore, too often I set up and they went the other way. I carry a stakeout blind, but more often than not just camo and natural cover. Forget bug repellants, they stink....The best product available imho is perenthin, you treat you clothing and it last up to 6-8 washings, I haven't had a problem with ticks since I switched over.

Do you have a place to hunt? I have two great locations, one in Livermore and another in Fremont, both have great natural cover and offer very good hunting - I love to see young people get involved in the sport of hunting and would be happy to have you both come and try your luck.
Nice Toms! I don't know about NewbShooter but I would love to take you up on your offer for Livermore/Fremont. I'm in Brentwood and see all those Toms along 84 (on private land) taunting me! PM me if you are willing to allow me access/take me out there. I don't think my daughter will come but my wife will!
Old 03-14-2013, 2:07 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Between me and Pieeater, we have killed 200 turkeys. You come here with questions and we give you answers.

Forget the deeks, forget the blind, call the birds and see what happens. If you don't, so be it. You'll wish you listened to us. It's really that simple.
+1

Most people are going to focus on the dek not your blind so being shot is a little overplayed.......but you never know....I have a friend who in his first year of hunting stalked a dek from over 200 yards and when he got to about 50 yards the guys in the blind just started laughing their asses off. My buddy was the talk of the town for the entire season!

Here's a few from the last two seasons.
The one in 2011 had 11.75" bd, 1.25" spurs and weighed 22lbs. Both were shot on opening day on public land.

Good luck and stay out late!

Last edited by MJB; 04-01-2013 at 9:35 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 3:17 PM

Well I ordered some stakeout camo and some seat cushions, so I can leave the blind behind if its not working. Im going to scout out the area tommorow any tips on what I should be looking for other than obvious signs of turkeys (prints,fresh droppings) and how to navigate to the first spot I plan on setting up in the dark. Hoping to do some fishing as well while Im up there any tips on fishing in Cache Creek area?
Old 03-14-2013, 3:47 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Well I ordered some stakeout camo and some seat cushions, so I can leave the blind behind if its not working. Im going to scout out the area tommorow any tips on what I should be looking for other than obvious signs of turkeys (prints,fresh droppings) and how to navigate to the first spot I plan on setting up in the dark. Hoping to do some fishing as well while Im up there any tips on fishing in Cache Creek area?
Taperxys probably knows whats up with the fishing. I suck at fishing. If you have a chance checkout Smiths trout farm its just out of middletown. You catch thenm every cast there. Not sure what the bass are doing at the lake.

If its calm at first light you can hear for a long ways and they usualy make some noise on the roost then and when they fly down and hit the ground. Not sure how hot they are up there or if they are going to make a lot of noise right now midday. So early morning to hear them is your best bet.
Old 03-14-2013, 3:54 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

There are elk up there they just shedded keep a lookout for sheds while you are hiking around.
Old 03-14-2013, 5:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's the deal. You are hunting turkey 10 minutes from my house. If you are setting up at the cache creek wildlife area and working south. YOU WILL have lots of competition. If you go across the highway its all private and most of the turkeys are there for you to drool over. BUT as with all hunting, you never know.

N Fork Cache Creek doesn't open for fishing until late April.

If you hunt out by cowboy camp, you will have less competition but i have never seen a turkey out there and its a staging area for equestrian.

I have never hunted out there in either place but as with any public land, if the locals thought it was worth hunting out there we would. Thats one of the reasons why i want you to ditch the decoys and blind. You WILL need to be able to move quickly around the area to set up and not worry about blinds and decoys.
Old 03-14-2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Here's the deal. You are hunting turkey 10 minutes from my house. If you are setting up at the cache creek wildlife area and working south. YOU WILL have lots of competition. If you go across the highway its all private and most of the turkeys are there for you to drool over. BUT as with all hunting, you never know.

N Fork Cache Creek doesn't open for fishing until late April.

If you hunt out by cowboy camp, you will have less competition but i have never seen a turkey out there and its a staging area for equestrian.

I have never hunted out there in either place but as with any public land, if the locals thought it was worth hunting out there we would. Thats one of the reasons why i want you to ditch the decoys and blind. You WILL need to be able to move quickly around the area to set up and not worry about blinds and decoys.
like most have said....blinds are tough....taper is right about being mobile. It just makes things easier. The good part is you are going on junior weekend which should significantly reduce the crowds.

Everything Taper is telling you is right but it will take a very long time to be successful turkey hunting on public property unless you have incredible luck.

If I wanted to improve my odds as a first timer and just be able to enjoy nature I would try this....

Find where birds are hanging out.....the night prior to the opener...roost the birds.....

This means going out and calling at dusk and finding a bird that gobbles in the roost. DO NOT SPOOK THE BIRD! Get a gobble or two and figure out a general area. Set up as close as you can early in the morning. (Once roosted a bird rarely leaves).

Set up your blind...set up a HEN decoy and do very little calling. Call until you get the bird to gobble and then quit. When he gobbles back trust me he heard you and will come if interested.

Now, there are a million other techniques to get a bird in...things like if he's with hens or if he's gobbling on your call but moving away.....HOWEVER, those situations require understanding of the situation and what the bird is doing in reaction to the call. Many here will probably say try to out call the hen...etc. etc. You're not going to understand or know how to do that....in the end it will probably do far more harm then good.

I've learned more often than not....in just about any type of hunting.....less is more.

So in a nutshell...do your best to find birds...the night before is the absolute best time to locate a bird. Next setup reasonable distance....OH AND I FORGOT....UPHILL...This may piss some people off but whatever.. Turkeys 90% of time go to higher elevations during the day. They like to have a view...so to speak. If I had a choice I'll always pick uphill. They usually fly to a lower point and work their way back uphill. I think it's just easier that way.

I think mobile is great but I truly believe you will do more harm then good by being mobile. It takes a long while to understand run and gun and being successful. Set-up on an A.M. bird and hope for the best. Less is more when it comes to calling. Use the blind if possible because it will hide some movement. No matter what most people say I've never seen someone sit still enough for turkeys until they've F'ed up a few times.

Good luck my friend. Late season I will get you and your daughter out.

Last edited by jmonte35; 03-14-2013 at 8:04 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 5:29 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

50 lb sack of corn. Haul that in.
Quote:
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 03-15-2013, 9:02 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Lol i killed a bird that was full of corn once.
Old 03-16-2013, 6:50 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

If you dont have full size hunting boots and are wearing some kind of hiking shoe instead make sure you have on black green or brown socks. Its happened more than once when im calling one in and the person next is sitting down with their bright white tube socks showing.
Old 03-18-2013, 2:53 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

how was the scouting?
Old 03-18-2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
how was the scouting?
thanks for asking. we ended up do a very long 9 mile hike along a Ridge. Even though we saw a BLM worker who said there were turkeys all over the place the only sign of turkeys were some very far off gobbles a couple miles down in the valley where there was no easy trail to get down to check out. After the hike I found a different place to park and get into that valley easier so I going there on Friday and scout the trails and hopefully put a gobbler to bed. if nothing else be able to scout the trails that I will be hiking in the dark the next morning. This will be an easier hike for us when we have our gear. than the ridge trail

I see what you guys are saying about the blind, the terrain is fairly steep around there so even if I were to be able to locate the turkeys ahead of time I don't think I can set it up so its best to stay a bit mobile which I bought some gear for that as well.

On Sunday we went on a hike close to home and were able to practice stalking and calling in turkeys. I also been practicing my calls on a flock of turkeys I see near the road almost every morning when I drive my kids to school. Really excited to give it a try this weekend, if my daughter shoots a turkey that would be awesome regardless its going to be a great adventure!

I learned some other very important things on the trip
  • Bring much more water, my daughter drinks like a fish, even though I had a large capacity camel back we still ran out of water at the end.
  • bring better maps, I was using a crappy one I downloaded off the internet that didn't show the trails as well, so was not sure of where I was going. since then i have found some better maps and really looked over the area with Google earth.