Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 PM

Default Are you now, or have you been a party to a lawsuit in the last 5 years

this is on the santa clara county application....

a few months ago I got a letter in the mail about a company I worked for 3-4 years ago, and they were paying out old employees because there was some class-action law suit against them and they lost... Since I was one of they employees they paid, and I took the money, does this make me a party to a lawsuit even though I wasn't technically part of the process?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I would list it. Better to have it on there and have them say it isn't anything to worry about than to have them find it during a search, and say you lied. I was the executor of an estate back in 2009, and the insurance company sued the estate and all of the possible beneficiaries to get an official ruling on who the money was going to. I listed the case number and a short explanation, and the clerk said that was fine.

-Mb
Old 02-27-2014, 9:58 AM

A case with a disposition? List it!!! Good Moral Character still applies, don't give the LEO a reason to deny you.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Huh?

I have been a part of several class action lawsuits. I would never list those. Ever. I don't think class action suits is the goal of that question. Why? Me being a part of a class action lawsuit against Asus for a bad GPS chip is irrelevant and technically, you often do not even know you are a part of the class action suit until maybe a year in. So right now, you could be part of a class action suit you are not even aware of. A suit started by someone else that you get pulled into by no choice since you bought the product. That is not the intent of that question. So, I think advice about class action lawsuits needs to tread lightly.

WTS: Gun stuff & things WTB: Glock 19 Gen 3

Last edited by glock_this; 02-27-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Okay Glock, they are playing games. Do you really want to give them an excuse to deny you? Exactly how long would it take you to write basically the same thing that you just wrote in your post on the piece of paper? On the other hand, not writing it, even though you think it isn't relevant, could be considered to be perjury by somebody trying to be a stickler for the rules. Remember, they are looking for reasons to deny people. Don't hand them the ammunition they need just because you want to say that it doesn't matter. YOU are not the one making the decision here. What you think does or does not matter, or should or should not count is irrelevant. Assume they are hostile, and fill out the paperwork accordingly.

-Mb
Old 02-27-2014, 11:08 AM

When it comes to a CCW you always side with caution and disclose everything, no matter how remote it is. They will evaluate the relevancy of the information and determine if it requires further investigation.

Itís never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayerís teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah I'll stand by my opinion on this one. I'm putting nothing relative to any class action lawsuit that got my a free GPS dongle.

I always always error on the side of caution - and don't feel odd 1 bit about not disclosing class action lawsuit details in any way. Some of the concern for form answers talked about around here I get 100% - but on this one - not worried.

BTW some of you might be involved in class action lawsuits right now and are totally unaware of it because you didn't get the notice yet or you through it out.

IMHO this is NOT the lawsuit details they seek by asking that question. I think putting class action suit stuff is just cluttering your app with not needed gibberish that causes them to slow & read closer. No thanks.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:59 PM

I own an auto repair shop and although I have never been cited or found to do anything wrong by the bureau of automotive repair I still got sued in small claims court by the customer. I didn't lose but I guess I should add it and let them decided
Old 02-27-2014, 1:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Civil actions shouldn't ZERO bearing on the exercise of civil rights.....especially in today's litigious society.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 02-27-2014, 1:35 PM

I take it as listed as the plaintiff or defendant. Owner of a business and your business was sued - yes list. Class Action against ASUS or 1-800-flowers - no do not list. Class Action against former employer - questionable so go with list. Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-27-2014, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamalpias View Post
I own an auto repair shop and although I have never been cited or found to do anything wrong by the bureau of automotive repair I still got sued in small claims court by the customer. I didn't lose but I guess I should add it and let them decided
See now this makes total sense to certainly list as this is directly a beef with you by someone else or by you with someone. What that beef is could matter to a CCW. It, for example, could matter for their moral character research.

A class action lawsuit is not something you bought by yourself or was bought against you by name, it is something you get caught up in as an entity (a group) because you happen to be on record for having bought a product. The fact you got $13 from Ford while the attorneys got 7.5 million for a class action over bad floor matts is not what the CCW application is looking for relative to "lawsuits". IMHO and using simple logic.

Old 02-27-2014, 1:40 PM

Unless your name appears as plantiff or defendant, your not a party in a lawsuit.

And afterwritting that and knowing about the auto business suit, were you listed?? I'm betting its the Business, check the papers.

NRA Member
NAGR Member
CGF Member
GOA Member

Last edited by majtom94; 02-27-2014 at 1:47 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 1:55 PM

Guys.....we are way over thinking this. I think the logic behind this question is to weed out the people who have multiple lawsuits stemming from fraudulent activities. IE Bad Moral Character.

Say member Tamalpias, owner of the auto repair shop, has 28 lawsuits against him for fraud, poor repairs, using used components and charging for new, inflating repair bills etc. That would be an example of POOR moral character.

Being part of a class action suit is nothing. If you have knowledge of it, list it and move on. Dont list it, and technically you have lied on the form.