Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences Discuss Concealed Carry Permit/License classes here.

Old 03-11-2013, 5:18 PM

I had the pleasure of attending LFI's CCW 16 hour training course the weekend of 3/9-3/10/13. I found Wes and Joe to be extremely knowledgeable, professional and entertaining. Anyone who has ever sat through 8 hours of class room training knows how boring it can be... but not in this class. The usual, can do this, can't do that discussions were peppered with real world scenarios based on actual experience. All of the questions asked were answered professionally and factually.

On the range, safety was the number one priority, as it should be. The initial shooting drill was a bit of a surprise; and a pleasant one. Wes was spot on with his assessment of my shooting issues and very helpful in pointing out areas where they could be improved upon onsite and on my own time. The drills were well planned and repeated until everyone had them down pat. Corrections were polite, factual and prompt.

There are lots of people who profess to be firearms instructors. Wes and Joe are among the few that truly know what they are doing. I will be attending more of their training.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale
Old 03-13-2013, 5:53 PM

I just completed my renewal with Wes and Joe. Very entertaining with emphasis on range safety. Two of the most knowledgeable guys you will meet. Money well spent.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:36 PM

I completed my renewal training today with Wes. Wes is still as knowledgeable, entertaining, safe and energetic as ever. It was clearly evident during the qualification (shooting) portion that Wes is a teacher first. He took time to help several in the class work through various issues, and always in a respectful, encouraging manner.

As always, money well spent. It seems everyone and there brother is running ccw classes these days, but Wes is top notch in all respects.

Thanks again, bro.
My guns haven't killed any friends or family ever since I sat down with them and had a long talk about how that behavior just isn't acceptable in my household. I encourage all gun owners to sit down with their guns and have the same talk. Its the responsibility of all gun owners to ensure their guns just don't go off on their own killing people.
Old 03-28-2013, 9:30 AM

I took my 16 hour course with Wes a few months back. I really enjoyed the class and felt Wes and Joe did a great job and made things very easy. I look forward to taking some more advanced courses with them in the future and I was just approved this week for my CCW and will be picking up my permit next month so is like to thank Wes and Joe with LFI for offering such a great class and allowing me to attend and obtain my ccw permit with their help and training. Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-2013, 8:14 PM

I recently finished up Wes and Joe's level 4 CCW class. And like the previous three, very safe, very informative, and everyone was given pointers.

As you progress through their CCW classes, the sizes get smaller and the content builds on previous classes.

They encourage you to push yourself in speed while keeping center of mass accuracy. If you are getting "match type groupings", they speed you up. If you are getting "nuns and lawyer's kids", they slow you down and evaluate what you are doing.

Well worth the added cost especially with the added attention to helping people improve their abilities and not just pushing you through

FWIW:
CCW 3 was one handed techniques: both strong hand and weak hand. This included drawing, reloading, shooting, AND malfunction clearing.

CCW 4 was multiple "positions" such as kneeling, face down, sitting, and face up. The day ended with shooting out of a car Seven people total in the class so there was a LOT of personal attention and lots of individual tips.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up LFI classes, Lagomarsino's Firearms Institute

LFI classes, Lagomarsino's Firearms Institute: Excellent, safe, attention to detail, expert with a variety of weapons, passionate, distinguished certs, knowledgable, experienced. Ok, got some of the adjectives out of the way. I've taken several classes from Wes and I can say without hesitation that I highly recommend taking any firearm's class from him. Whether it's pistol, rifle, shotgun, self defense, or competition, Wes can greatly improve your skills, knowledge, and safe handling of your weapon. If your familiar with the gun world, he's also studied under some of the finest instructor's in the country having taken classes at Frontsight, and taken classes with Massad Ayoob, Rob Pincus, and Mike Seeklander. And I'm sure a lot more that I'm not aware of. You can tell Wes love's all kinds of firearms and loves teaching other's. He cares and it shows. I always finish his classes feeling more confident, safer, more knowledgeable, and with my skills improved. If your looking for a great all around class and instructor, look no further. Whether your LEO or a CCW, you know that carrying a gun is one of the most sobering things you can do. Take your training serious, and God forbid were ever in a shoot, but if we are, we and our family need to be kept safe by our willingness to train hard and defend ourselves and those near us. Be safe and train hard with quality instructors.
Old 04-09-2013, 3:38 PM
CGN Contributor

Ready to re-new LTC in Sacramento next month. LFI (Wes and Joe) is my first choice for training in this county!
Old 04-22-2013, 8:03 AM

Default Great Class

I took my 4 hour renewal course from Wes last week. I have taken several classes from other instructors in the past and this was by far the best. His knowledge of CCW laws and gun laws in general is outstanding. Wes takes the time to make sure that there is a complete understanding by the student. His application of personal experience only enhanced the delivery of information. I honestly feel that I have become a better gun owner for taking this class. I highly recommend to anyone that needs this class or just wants to learn proper technique and gun safety, Wes is your guy. If you are looking for a free pass for a certificate, look elsewhere.
Old 05-09-2013, 3:49 PM

Thumbs up Awesome class

I recently took my CCW class from Wesley and it was a great experience, I learned a lot in this 16 hour class and feel very informed on not only what is required of me as a CCW holder but also what laws pertain to me and how and where I can carry. I took his course due the reviews I found on here and from one of my college profs. I must say that I will most definitely be returning for additional training from Wesley and Joe.

Contact Wesley & Joe http://www.lfiguns.com
Old 05-17-2013, 7:55 AM

Outstanding instructor.

I took a CCW class with Wes and Joe recently. My wife had taken the same class and said it was really great - she was spot on. Wes is just awesome (Joe is also awesome, but this review is about Wes.) This man knows his material and backs it with experience. He was able to take a very serious and often dry subject and make it fun, accessible, and applicable to the individual.

Within the first few minutes Wes had the class laughing at at ease. A consummate professional, I never felt uncomfortable or nervous about approaching Wes or asking questions - even on the range, where anxiety naturally runs high. He is eager to help and excited to educate his students. While one can never be 100% prepared to apply this subject manner in the real world, I believe I am one huge step further in the right direction after such great instruction.

I feel absolutely privileged to have such a resource available here in the Sacramento area and will certainly be back for more classes. I highly recommend LFI for your firearms training.

If you happen to find yourself in the Stockton area, he's a mean resource for site-seeing and travel recommendations as well
Old 05-17-2013, 9:27 AM

Got an email from Wes reminding me that I need to do my renewal in a couple months. Gotta love reminders, I knew it was coming up but to have him send me a reminder is the kind of customer service I hope for and he provides. Wes is the man and I can't wait to see him again.
Old 05-19-2013, 9:44 AM

Thumbs up LFI Training

Just finished taking one of Wes's courses. The training rocked. Wes kept the class engaged and provided a ton of valuable info. I've attended FS and can say Wes's training is better; both on the range and in classroom. He provided one-on-one training and convinced me to change my grip and stance from the Weaver that FS teaches to the Isosceles stance. These changes improved my shooting. I plan to take more of his classes. Why travel to Nevada when Wes is local and provides better training?
Old 05-20-2013, 9:19 AM

When choosing a CCW class for my sac permit I was tempted to take the path of least resistance and just find the cheapest, closest class at the earliest possible date, get my certificate and be done with it. I was hesitant at first to spend the extra $$ and drive the extra distance involved with the LFI class. But after reading many reviews, I figured that compared to the total cost and time commitment, the difference wasn't that much and it would be worth it to be safe and maybe get something more than a piece of paper out of it.

This past weekend I took the class with Wes and Joe and can safely say that I a good choice. Class size was under 20, so lots of opportunity for asking questions and individual attention. They run a very safe class, on and off the range. Everyone in the class qualified, but that's not because they're giving a free pass, nor is it because everyone came to the class already able to qualify. It's because they take the time to work individually with each student help them succeed. They stated that it's not always the case that everyone in the class qualifies, so don't take this as a guarantee of qualifying. If you're especially thin skinned, you may be bothered by their utter lack of political correctness, which they seem to take some pride in.

I left the class with the all important piece of paper, but also with new knowledge and skills, and with a renewed interest in continuing my training. I plan to take further training from them in the future.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM

My wife finished her 16 Hour course two weekends ago and had a lot of fun. Wes took his time with each student and helped work on a few improvements with my wife's grip and trigger pull.

I also was there in the first part of the last day to qualify with my second gun. Wes was VERY accommodating. Thanks Wes!
Old 06-13-2013, 9:08 AM

Default Amazing!!!!

What a great class! Excellent information,and fun interaction lessons. I never thought I would enjoy a renewal course but Wes made it a blast!! I walked away with tools I did not posses before taking the course!

Thanks Wes!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 3:10 PM

Completed my CCW renewal class with Wes this week. I had my initial class with him 2 years ago. I had a great time again, Wes makes learning an enjoyable experience. He makes sure you leave with the information and tools you need.
Clay
Old 10-11-2013, 9:38 AM

I attended a CCW class (16hour two day) with Wes at the Sac Valley Shooting Center. He was Professional, Safe and knowledgeable.

I would recommend to anyone. His class cost more for a reason, I think it is worth it to pay for his level of trraining. The state requirement is the lowest level of ability. He will remind you how important training is. He will explain your responsibilities as a CCW holder. He will also make it very clear this is not a joke, this not a movie. be prepared for the **** storm if you have to engage someone with your CCW. Make sure the decision is the right one.

Range time was safe safe safe and fun. After my qualification I was still able to throw soem rounds down range while others were qualifying. One guy was not safe, he was no longer firing. Wes handled the situataion professionally and immediately.

If you want a Bulls$%# class take someone else if you want to feel more competent in your undertanding regarding your CCW take Wes's class.

He uses the computer with projector to pull up the DOJ website and actually site the law. You get to see it in black and white. I felt really comfortable seeing the statutes compared to somebody trying to quote them. He then provided the links for this information.

Thanks Again Wes, Good Game.....

Old 10-14-2013, 8:07 PM

Default LFI

As you can see ive been a member for a few months but have never posted. I just like to keep up to date on whats going on and view classifieds. So I dont post. BUT........I have to this time. Not because Wes told me I had to, but because I needed to. So here I go.

I searched/reserached for months in preperation for my CCW instruction and it always pointed to Wes. No BS with this guy. Very fun, very informative, and most of all...........I felt safe! Wes is at the top, in my opinion, in the nation as a competitive shooter and his knowledge of law is second to none. Your confidence with handling a gun and skills to be a better shooter will improve significantly. I recommend him to all who would like to better there skills and or knowledge of gun safety and gun law. Thanks Wes!
Old 10-14-2013, 9:41 PM

Wes is the sht. He is as good as you could expect from an instructor and he runs a super safe ship all while being laid back and friendly. Instruction shouldn't be based on price alone and should be on what you are actually going to be taught.

An Ivy league education is much more expensive than a degree from a community college, but you are going to get the best education possible at the more prestigous and equally more expensive school.

The only negatives I can give are that the chairs in class aren't all that comfortable and that the course isnt 4 days instead of 2. We just didnt have the time to really talk about everything that can happen when using a firearm in a public area. Wes being a ex-LEO had a lot of insight from all sides of the equation and was able to give the real life examples that arent written in the firearms laws.

The biggest things I took from the class are that I need more work on shooting (which I am now signed up for a different class from him) and that you should try to avoid using your firearm until there is no more time left and you MUST use it.

His goal is to teach you to be safe, both from threats and also from prosecution as well as being accurate if you are required to shoot you weapon.
Old 02-05-2014, 9:31 AM

Thank you for all of the kind words and support. I will continue to learn & grow so I can teach the most up-to-date and best information available.

Take care and stay aware,
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 02-05-2014, 1:01 PM

Took my 16 hour CA CCW class and UT class with Wes a couple weekends ago and it was one of the best classes I've ever taken. Wes is an awesome instructor and makes sure you leave the class feeling confident and ready. Not only did I take with me a library of knowledge, but he took a few minutes to help me improve my shot placement and what I was doing wrong that I had no idea I was doing as well as a nice trick to help correct it. Wes is extremely knowledgeable and knows both the law enforcement side and civilian side of carrying and there is no question that he could not answer. I'd recommend him to anyone who wants to take a CCW course as well as anyone who wants to take a basic firearms course. If you are on the fence and debating on choosing a lower priced class, don't. This IS the class to take for anyone who is serious about learning and you will not be disappointed. I'll definitely be back.

Thanks Wes,
Zack
Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Just got done with my Renewal with Wes. Took his class 2 years ago also. My Son has also been to a couple of his classes. I wouldn't use or recommend anyone else. Great classes with great instructors. Thanks Wes!

Brian.
Old 03-05-2014, 9:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Just completed the 16 hour initial CCW course offered by Wes for Sacramento County, and I can't anything additional to the thread that hasn't already been said.

He lives up to every bit of the kudos that are given to him here and other places on the Internet. I would recommend him without hesitation to anyone looking for CCW training (or any other firearm training, for that matter.)

If you need CCW training, he should be at the top of your list.
Old 03-06-2014, 8:11 AM
In Memoriam

Great thread! Now I'm really pumped for my 16-hr Initial course. 1st weekend of April can't come faster!

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 03-07-2014, 5:20 AM

Just finished my renewal class with Wes. I took my initial 16 hour class with him and Joe 2 years ago. Wes is a great instructor and truly cares. He's got a real-life story for most situations and they drive home the reality of the world we live in.
Old 04-07-2014, 2:58 PM
In Memoriam

Finished Wes's 16 hour initial last night and like everyone else has said..Outstanding! All the information I was looking for and then some. Qualification was fun and after all the quals, it's dueling tree time

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 04-07-2014, 6:29 PM

Wes is an amazing guy. He is real life. A true stand up guy and instructor. He works with you until you get it. I would recommend him any day of the week!
Old 03-30-2015, 6:13 AM

I highly recommend Wes Lagomarsino. Wes is a highly skilled instructor that has the knowledge to instruct as well as the ability to PERFORM. Wes is passionate about all things gun related from gun safety to gun law & rights but most passionate about a students ability to effectively and efficiently navigate and survive a potentially life threatening situation with an avoidance mindset first and deadly force as a last resort. Wes uses a combination of wisdom, experience and humor to bring color and life to topics in an effort to tap a variety of learning styles. Wes is also a continuous learner committed to personal development, always looking for opportunities to learn, grow and evolve. (pretty rare for an expert) This is why you will aways walk away from a class with Wes better than you arrived no matter how many times you have taken it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2015, 8:22 PM

I took Wesley's 16 hour CCW Initial and it exceeded my expectations.
Wesley has a very strong background in firearms. He trained with the best people in the industry and he gathered all the valuable tactics and skills to deliver to you. Wesley has Small tips that will significantly improve your shooting. Wesley isn't afraid to actually do the drill. He's not afraid to mess up. He is honest and he will show you the mistakes he made. Wesley is a good shooter.
He will throughly explain why he does it a certain way with science.
This class is worth any penny and it is a good deal. The kinds of knowledge and expertise Wesley brings you is worth more than the $250. Wesley is one of the few instructors that actually cares for his students.
We learn more than the law in this class
Old 10-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

another good day at Wes's class. Just took my second renewal course..so 4 years now.

I will be back again...safe- fun -learned better gun handling

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 11-17-2015, 8:01 AM

What's the sign of a great instructor? It is that he is also a good student continuously striving to improve and stay relevant.

I was in an advanced training class with Wes and found him to be a very humble and respectful student. I appreciated the info he was providing guys in class while he himself was a student. That showed me that he's a good instructor.

I always recommend Wes' class for students getting their CCW or are looking for training.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 AM

I don't want to begin a new post where people can state their reviews. Hopefully bumping this one will allow people to continue posting here.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 04-10-2017, 6:49 PM

Default Recertified again with Wes!

Just recertified and changed counties with my ccw, drove all the way from Tahoe to come take my class/training with Wesley. Many other classes and trainers available to me locally, however none of them are in the same league with Wes, I would happily drive from any corner of this state to train with this man. Top notch training and information every time, no bs and most importantly no egos getting in the way. I'm proud to know and call this man a friend. My friends this man is the real deal, and he definitely practices what he preaches. For superior instruction with real life experience and scenarios without the attitude and cockiness, go see this man!
Old 09-21-2017, 4:21 AM
Veteran Member

Took the ccw course with Wes. The guy is a great instructor. Very knowledgeable. Dude has great humor. He goes above and beyond the criteria in his teachings. Will be taking more of his classes when I have available time. And definitely will be referring Wes to all my friends and family. Knowing what I know so far about Wes, he's the kinda guy I would gladly fight alongside with.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 AM

I see this thread has not been updated in a while and I want to share my experience with Wes and LFI institute.

I had my 3rd CCW renewal this past weekend 3/10/19. I had never taken an LFI class before. The class was held out at Sac Valley Shooting Center.

Long story short, Wes is awesome. He is down to earth, laid back (except for firearms safety. RIGHTFULLY SO) and made everyone feel comfortable while cracking jokes here and there.

We ran through all of our shooting quals (Im Sac county) decently quick. He gave each student attention and feedback when needed. During a cease fire we BS'd and he played with my walther ppq and let me play with his p10c, shared his grip techniques (after watching him literally shoot a fly off of my target at 10 yards with a shield I was ALL EARS).

After some other students and I were done and other students had more guns to qual with, there was some friendly competition on steel targets with other students on the far side of the shooting bay. It was a blast.

Wes shared some techniques on reloading, grip, stance, topping off, and lightly touched on bio mechanics of the body and why you should or should not do certain things. Which IMO is above and beyond the "typical" ccw class. You DEFINITELY get your moneys worth from this class.

Anyone who lives in the Placer, El Dorado, or Sac area NEEDS to take a class with Wes. I will be signing up for his Handgun 2 & 3 class in the next few months. He has a wealth of knowledge from training with many different "big wigs" in the industry from self defense minded shooters to competition shooters.

LFI and Wes are excellent. NOW GO SIGN UP FOR HIS CLASS'S!