Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-14-2014, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

My understanding is that after receiving the livescan results, or maybe, after interviewing, (not sure which,) the 90 day clock for the required timely processing begins. We will hopefully know more this coming week, if the new policy here is announced, as some were informed. My info is second hand, btw.

Last edited by otteray; 06-14-2014 at 9:47 PM..
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 PM

Has there been a new announcement of Santa Cruz's new CCW policy yet. I can't find anything.
Old 06-21-2014, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

Here it is
Old 06-21-2014, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteray View Post
Quote:
Note: Based on current law, the Sheriff does not consider self-defense or generalized personal safety concerns to constitute sufficient “good cause” for the issuance of a license. The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has issued a recent opinion to the contrary which would change current law if finalized in its current form (Peruta, et al., v. County of San Diego, et al.). However, because of a recent motion filed by the California Attorney General to intervene in that case, the Peruta decision is not yet final and is therefore not yet law. It is unclear at this point whether the Peruta opinion will be finalized in its current form or subject to further appeal. If and when the Peruta decision becomes final, the Sheriff will follow the law as the Sheriff understands it.
Well, at least they're upfront saying they're anti-CCW....

Actually, he's kind of deceptive in trying to make it seem like "current law" states that self-defense is insufficient Good Cause. The law allows any sheriff to accept self-defense as sufficient GC, just like they do RIGHT NOW in Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Fresno, Kern, Ventura, Orange, and MOST rural counties!

And I like how he requires that applicants get 2 licensed professionals to put in writing that they think the applicant should be allowed to bear arms (costing the applicant more time, money, and effort):

Quote:
2. If directed: provide written evidence from a licensed physician that the applicant is not
currently suffering from any medical condition that would make the individual unsuitable
for carrying a concealed weapon. All costs paid by applicant.
3. Complete psychological testing, as directed, by an authorized psychologist used by the
Sheriff’s Office. The cost to the applicant may not exceed $150.00.
(emphasis added)

Bottom line: Sheriff Wowak, like most urban sheriffs, is nothing more than "a politician w/a badge & a gun"....

220+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 06-21-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Well, at least they're upfront saying they're anti-CCW....

Actually, he's kind of deceptive in trying to make it seem like "current law" states that self-defense is insufficient Good Cause. The law allows any sheriff to accept self-defense as sufficient GC, just like they do RIGHT NOW in Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Fresno, Kern, Ventura, Orange, and MOST rural counties!

And I like how he requires that applicants get 2 licensed professionals to put in writing that they think the applicant should be allowed to bear arms (costing the applicant more time, money, and effort):

(emphasis added)

Bottom line: Sheriff Hart, like most urban sheriffs, is nothing more than "a politician w/a gun and a badge"....
Just for clarity.
Regards,
Mike
Old 06-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboma View Post
Just for clarity.
Regards,
Mike
The new policy's .pdf has Wowak's name on the letterhead as does SCSO's website: http://scsheriff.com/

Last edited by Paladin; 06-21-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Old 06-21-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The new policy's .pdf has Wowak's name on the letterhead.
Considering the way Hart came into office and the fact that he is INDEED nothing more than a politician with a badge, I guess it doesn't matter what name is on the doc.

Thanks Paladin,
Mike
Old 06-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboma View Post
Considering the way Hart came into office and the fact that he is INDEED nothing more than a politician with a badge, I guess it doesn't matter what name is on the doc.

Thanks Paladin,
Mike
I just edited my reply to also mention that Wowack's name (and image) is on the SCSO's website.

Is Hart the next sheriff? If so, I don't think he takes office until 2015 January.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I just edited my reply to also mention that Wowack's name (and image) is on the SCSO's website.

Is Hart the next sheriff? If so, I don't think he takes office until 2015 January.
Yes, Hart won the election. It makes sense that he would not take office immediately. But as we can see from this latest policy release, nothing in Santa Cruz is going to change anytime soon.

Regards,
Mike
Old 08-28-2014, 3:49 PM

Is there any current cal guns effort focused on changing the Santa Cruz County Policy? Happy to help if there is. Also is it worth applying now with self defense as GC with the hope that Peruta will still be finalized?
Old 08-28-2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMedeiros View Post
Is there any current cal guns effort focused on changing the Santa Cruz County Policy? Happy to help if there is. Also is it worth applying now with self defense as GC with the hope that Peruta will still be finalized?
I also would like to know if Calguns Foundation or other have any plans for Santa Cruz county. I know a fair amount of people that would like to get a ccw in the county(me included). I would like to help if posibble.
Old 08-29-2014, 9:06 AM

CalGuns Foundation is aware. Not sure what they are planning on doing. They said they would send them a letter.

https://twitter.com/CalgunsFdn/statu...46101139333121
Old 09-04-2014, 3:51 AM

To put things in perspective the Sheriff's Office does not even provide CCW's for its Sheriff's Correctional Officers who deal with criminal's every hour of every shift. I wish you all luck and I'll be following your endeavors.

Last edited by TLark; 09-04-2014 at 4:12 AM..
Old 09-05-2014, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLark View Post
To put things in perspective the Sheriff's Office does not even provide CCW's for its Sheriff's Correctional Officers who deal with criminal's every hour of every shift. I wish you all luck and I'll be following your endeavors.
That still doesn't make their actions against the public excusable.
Old 09-05-2014, 7:27 PM

Completely agree^, but it shows your where they stand as far as CCW issuing. If they feel there own LE personnel aren't deserving of a CCW for viable threats to there safety then why would a public citizen be granted one. I really hope you guys make progress and change the views of the Sheriff/County. In turn hopefully it loosens the policies on its own personnel.
Old 11-15-2014, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

From the "CCW UPDATE" link on their homepage (http://scsheriff.com/):

CCW UPDATE

Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards recently articulated by the Ninth Circuit in Peruta v. County of San Diego should be aware that the decision has not yet become final. Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

Applicants that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta will be processed in the order they are received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Office with instructions on how to complete the process.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Office and County Counsel are currently revising the process for issuing CCW permits.
(emphasis added)

I'll update the OP and the thread title now.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-18-2015 at 8:23 PM..
Old 09-11-2015, 9:04 PM

anything new
Old 09-12-2015, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Hippie View Post
anything new
Nope.
Peruta has to be resolved first.
Old 09-18-2015, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
From the "CCW UPDATE" link on their homepage (http://scsheriff.com/):

CCW UPDATE

Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards recently articulated by the Ninth Circuit in Peruta v. County of San Diego should be aware that the decision has not yet become final. Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

Applicants that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta will be processed in the order they are received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Office with instructions on how to complete the process.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Office and County Counsel are currently revising the process for issuing CCW permits.
(emphasis added)

I'll update the OP and the thread title now.
I don't know when they changed it, but there is now a new "CCW UPDATE" linked on their homepage:

Quote:
CCW UPDATE

Members of the public seeking to obtain a CCW permit under the standards articulated by the Ninth Circuit in Peruta v. County of San Diego should be aware that on March 26, 2015 the Ninth Circuit ordered that the Peruta case be re-heard by a larger panel of judges. At some point in the future, the Ninth Circuit will issue a new opinion addressing the issues discussed in the Peruta case. Until the Ninth Circuit issues a new opinion, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office will continue to review applications for CCW permits under the standards it utilized prior to issuance of the original Peruta decision.
Well, at least they're actively monitoring Peruta and revising things as it progresses.

Old 09-19-2015, 8:27 AM

Quote:
I don't know when they changed it, but there is now a new "CCW UPDATE" linked on their homepage:

Well, at least they're actively monitoring Peruta and revising things as it progresses.
It has been there for almost a year.

Old 09-19-2015, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsn0w View Post
It has been there for almost a year.

That was the 1st update (which, as you can see, I had added to the OP on 2014 Nov 15). I'm talking about the 2nd update, the one about Peruta being taken en banc which I added to the OP yesterday.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:02 PM

looking at the Sheriffs office website they have a CCW policy in place as of 6/18/16. Has anyone applied?

Last edited by sbcfd; 10-05-2016 at 11:15 PM..
Old 10-06-2016, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcfd View Post
looking at the Sheriffs office website they have a CCW policy in place as of 6/18/16. Has anyone applied?
Many applied and all denied.
After Peruta was put into a suspended state thanks to Att. Gen. Harris, we were sent a letter from the S.O. explaining our two choices: Go forward with the request (and get denied) or be put on hold until Peruta was ultimately decided (Circular file.)
Old 12-11-2016, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Many applied and all denied.
After Peruta was put into a suspended state thanks to Att. Gen. Harris, we were sent a letter from the S.O. explaining our two choices: Go forward with the request (and get denied) or be put on hold until Peruta was ultimately decided (Circular file.)
this county is still a no go huh?
Old 12-11-2016, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Cities of Watsonville and Scotts Valley may have recently issued a few licenses through their own PD, and not the SO. How many or why, I do not know.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Cities of Watsonville and Scotts Valley may have recently issued a few licenses through their own PD, and not the SO. How many or why, I do not know.
Anyone have any more/new info re. this?

ETA: I briefly looked over their PDs' websites and did not find any CCW info.
https://cityofwatsonville.org/197/Police
http://www.scottsvalleypd.com/

Last edited by Paladin; 07-21-2017 at 10:44 AM..