Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-22-2014, 7:55 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
Anyone with a link for the Application for OC?
http://ocsd.org/civicax/filebank/blo...x?BlobID=31601

http://ocsd.org/civicax/filebank/blo...x?BlobID=31602

http://ocsd.org/about/info/services/ccw
Old 02-22-2014, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Orange County Sheriff Announces CCW Policy Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase1 View Post
Are they still going to talk to our employers? ( when applying for ccw)

They may confirm you actually work there and don't have any workplace violence type of issues, but that's it.

I think once the interviews start happening they aren't going to have time for much other than to run your background. OC never did "knock and talk" interviews with your neighbors or employers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Doheny; 02-22-2014 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-22-2014, 9:52 AM

I need to move OC then because in San Bernardino county I hear they send a letter to your employer & speak to neighbors that's too much info IMO
http://i.imgur.com/H1tHhXm.jpg
Old 02-22-2014, 9:55 AM

I tried doing a search specific to OCSD. Does anyone know the practical qualification requirements they will be using (multi stage, multi distance, off hand, etc.)
Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.BeBoT View Post
I tried doing a search specific to OCSD. Does anyone know the practical qualification requirements they will be using (multi stage, multi distance, off hand, etc.)

It's, been a while, I don't remember, but it was very easy.

Sent from my iPhone; pardon any typos.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Im concerned with this contacting a neighbor business.

I have some neighbors I trust, but I have one next to me that I'd rather not have him or his rather large extended family know I have a firearm in the house.

I understand they could glean some useful information from your neighbors in determining character, but not at the expense of becoming a potential target for burglary.

Any input is welcomed.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:53 AM

easier to call for an appointment or email?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
easier to call for an appointment or email?

Email

Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Orange County Sheriff Announces CCW Policy Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
Im concerned with this contacting a neighbor business.

I have some neighbors I trust, but I have one next to me that I'd rather not have him or his rather large extended family know I have a firearm in the house.

I understand they could glean some useful information from your neighbors in determining character, but not at the expense of becoming a potential target for burglary.

Any input is welcomed.

OC previously didn't contact neighboring businesses, so I doubt they'd do it now. Besides, if someone wants to burglarize you, I doubt knowing you now carry a pistol will increase those odds.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:58 AM

I emailed Melissa Friday morning at 11:35 and haven't heard back yet.

Anybody else who emailed on or after Friday heard back yet? If so, what appointment times were you given?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:58 AM

Do you submit your application packet first or just bring it with you on your interview date?

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM

Thanks.

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 02-22-2014, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
I emailed Melissa Friday morning at 11:35 and haven't heard back yet.

Anybody else who emailed on or after Friday heard back yet? If so, what appointment times were you given?
From what I have heard, she is not there on Fridays.
Old 02-22-2014, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
OC previously didn't contact neighboring businesses, so I doubt they'd do it now. Besides, if someone wants to burglarize you, I doubt knowing you now carry a pistol will increase those odds.

Trust me. If these folks knew I had guns I can guarantee someone in that family would break in the first time I left home.

I have a good safe and a damn good GSD. I just don't need the drama.
Old 02-22-2014, 1:51 PM

I contacted Melissa via email on Thursday night and she got back to me that evening at 11pm! Guess she's working long hours with the new backlog??

Anyways my appt is for July 1st. We're finally getting somewhere.
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 02-22-2014, 2:10 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinverted View Post
The joke is on us. Both OCSD CCW appointment phone numbers are going straight to voicemail that is full this morning. They do forward to another voicemail box that is also full. I called for an hour and finally got through.

It's 2-21-14 and my appointment date to turn in my paperwork is 6-4-14.

3+ months to just turn in my app to request to exercise my 2nd amendment rights is absurd.
No, its called a flood of applicants. Sacramento experienced the same thing, I was one of the first after the Sykes case who applied here, within 3months people were getting pushed back by 3-6 months. It WILL GET WORSE as others grow a pair and decide to finally try for a ccw.

I have friends who waited and were nervous about denials when I applied after Sykes. I applied in June, by December I was packing. It got streamed line for a few months the next year when the department hired (2) detectives to assist Amber Wong (who until then had been doing everything herself and only handled ccw's part time). But as more and more people began to submit applications, it all bogged down again.

OC is larger then Sacramento, you guys probably have (1) person who handles CCW's right now and they probably only do it part time like Amber did, that person normally had 4-5 apps a week, now they are getting hundreds of apps a day.

Be realistic.
Old 02-22-2014, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerup949 View Post
When will we break down the Moral Character Clause? I can see them approving for self defense now but denying for petty crimes and tickets.
Ok. Before I comment I want to say clearly that my next statement is not an attempt at cop bashing or a cue for anyone else to do so. I am going to do my best to walk on eggshells here, for the sake of civility and getting down to a logical answer.

Some of what I have to say is based on hearsay,
and I will identify those points.

A lot of people are worried about tickets and other petty crimes from many moons ago. Let me address this one point. Hear comes the hearsay part.

I have heard in my travels that a lot of people when interviewing to become a cop, admit to having tried marijuana or other drugs in their youth. I have also heard (more hearsay) that if you are a person that is trying to become a cop and claim you have never imbibed, you are looked at as suspect.

Now IF, this is true. Big IF, why would it be a disqualifier for a citizen to carry because of these reasons, and not a cop.

Again please!, I don't want to hear "because they are special" comments, and all the other sarcasm. This is a serious question to a problem that may hamstring good law abiding gun owners from getting to exercise a constitutional right.

Now, if my hearsay is not fact, then the question is moot.

Maybe some LEO can chime in on this if appropriate, and correct me if I am wrong.

I did for a fact, read that in Florida they lowered their standards for recruits because they could not find any that had a spotless record. I realize we are talking Florida, and that doesn't mean we do the same in California.

I'm just looking for a solution that is fair for all. Now, I'm not saying that if a cop has a ticket or smoked a joint in his past, he should lose his gun. What I am saying is that if it is ok for one man to do this and carry, it should be ok for the next man to do the same, regardless of his position in life.

In other words, lets not let the politicians play anymore games with our freedoms.

Again, please don't turn this into something it isn't. Most of the cops I have met in my life were ok with civilians having guns as long as you were not a dirtbag. My beef is not with them, it is with the people in charge.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2014, 2:33 PM
Made in the USA

^^^ your assessment is spot on...

in my teens to early 20s, I had a very good friend who's father was a prominent law enforcement official (I will leave it at that)... I know first hand that many LEO are far from "moral" in MANY aspects... some of the things I came to know would make an average Joe look like a thug...

Later in life I've had acquaintances that are LEO (and DOJ at one point)... they have more tainted past than most people I know... I have always been under the impression that being less than truthful when applying for LEO position would not only disqualify, but could be criminal... from what I can tell, there are people that find ways to keep certain parts of their life under-wraps (and become law enforcement anyway).

But to your point... if someone applying for CCW disclosed the things I've known about the above - there is no way in hell they would get a permit.
Old 02-22-2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
My request went in at 3:15 by email. My appointment is July 8 at 3:00 received this morning at 7:00 by email.

I cannot believe that there are more than perhaps 200 people who having read the article in the OC Register picked up the phone or emailed for an appointment yesterday. I could be wrong but it appears as if the OCSD is purposely delaying appointments. If they accepted only 2 per day starting yesterday, that would mean about 200 people are ahead of me. 2 apps per day though!
Hope they streamline the process and add a lot more people to handle the load.

OC has a population of 3,000,000. If 2% of the population desires a LTC (60,000) at 2 per day that would be 30,000 days. Assuming 250 work days per year it would take 120 years to issue those permits...better get in line now!

Of course, with a $200 licensing fee, those 60,000 licenses comes to $12,000,000 for the Sheriff, way more than enough to fund some more bodies processing applications.
Old 02-22-2014, 2:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post

OC has a population of 3,000,000. If 2% of the population desires a LTC (60,000) at 2 per day that would be 30,000 days. Assuming 250 work days per year it would take 120 years to issue those permits...better get in line now!

Of course, with a $200 licensing fee, those 60,000 licenses comes to $12,000,000 for the Sheriff, way more than enough to fund some more bodies processing applications.

I have to imagine they'll eventually streamline the process. Eventually, I think the local agencies will scream and DOJ will take it over.

Sent from my iPhone; please pardon typos & edits.
Old 02-22-2014, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill billy View Post
Excellent news Sean. Now if we can get LA to do the same.
“Bottom line is the sheriff is going to abide by the law,” said Lt. Jeff Hallock, a spokesman for O.C. Sheriff Sandra Hutchens.

Now let's see if the other Sheriffs will follow the law as well.
Old 02-22-2014, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

If a local police chief was smart, they'd jump on the issue bandwagon, devise a one day process...apply, live scan, watch a 4 hr training video on the law (or recognize an NRA course), and issue a license after reviewing the DOJ return...and rake in the dough.
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/

Last edited by Liberty1; 02-22-2014 at 5:16 PM.. Reason: Change 1/2 hr training to min. required
Old 02-22-2014, 3:32 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1813-2013 View Post
If a local police chief was smart, they'd jump on the issue bandwagon, devise a one day process...apply, live scan, watch a 1/2 training video on the law (or recognize an NRA course), and issue a license one hour later after reviewing the DOJ return...and rake in the dough.
That assumes that you could find a local police chief of a city large enough to matter who isn't appaplectic about CCW
Old 02-22-2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
If a local police chief was smart, they'd jump on the issue bandwagon, devise a one day process...apply, live scan, watch a 1/2 training video on the law (or recognize an NRA course), and issue a license one hour later after reviewing the DOJ return...and rake in the dough.
Since Good Cause has been found to be self-defense and Good Moral Character is likely to be "not prohibited from owning firearms", the only reasons for requiring that you apply in the county you live has gone away.

They should open it up so that you can apply to any sheriff in the state. With an potential of $200,000,000 in license fees let in some free enterprise and allow the sheriffs compete with each other based on customer service. I'm pretty sure the Sheriffs of Trinity and Modoc counties would love the business (and the cash).
Old 02-22-2014, 5:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Since Good Cause has been found to be self-defense and Good Moral Character is likely to be "not prohibited from owning firearms", the only reasons for requiring that you apply in the county you live has gone away.

They should open it up so that you can apply to any sheriff in the state. With an potential of $200,000,000 in license fees let in some free enterprise and allow the sheriffs compete with each other based on customer service. I'm pretty sure the Sheriffs of Trinity and Modoc counties would love the business (and the cash).
That is going to take a change in PC - 26150(a)(3)
Quote:
(3) The applicant is a resident of the county or a city within the
county,
or the applicant's principal place of employment or business
is in the county or a city within the county and the applicant
spends a substantial period of time in that place of employment or
business.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-22-2014, 6:18 PM
Veteran Member

Default just curious

For those who already have ccw ..one gun .. how much did you ended up paying ? Application .. finger print .. doc fee .. gun armory fee .. training fee ..etc
Old 02-22-2014, 6:41 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
If a local police chief was smart, they'd jump on the issue bandwagon, devise a one day process...apply, live scan, watch a 4 hr training video on the law (or recognize an NRA course), and issue a license after reviewing the DOJ return...and rake in the dough.
with all due respect - it's foolish to think this will ever be based on revenue... and it has nothing to do with "smart"...

CCW is and will always be politically motivated... its a chess match on many levels... Pro 2A can boast (and should) about "win"... but revenue will never be a factor...

It's been proven many times over - with issues WAY bigger than CCW - that increasing taxes will generate whatever revenue is desired... and to think that CCW fees will decrease that demand/fact - is naive.
Old 02-22-2014, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
with all due respect - it's foolish to think this will ever be based on revenue... and it has nothing to do with "smart"...

CCW is and will always be politically motivated... its a chess match on many levels... Pro 2A can boast (and should) about "win"... but revenue will never be a factor...

It's been proven many times over - with issues WAY bigger than CCW - that increasing taxes will generate whatever revenue is desired... and to think that CCW fees will decrease that demand/fact - is naive.
What motivated some states to issue CCW to out of state people? I've wondered in the past if revenue had anything to do with that.
Old 02-24-2014, 8:24 AM

Melissa emailed...
Old 02-24-2014, 9:44 AM

I just sent an email to Melissa and the email bounced back as recipient not found.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 PM

I just sent Melissa an Email ,so far its gone through .
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM

I got through via phone earlier today. Appointment for Aug 27
Old 02-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly105 View Post
I got through via phone earlier today. Appointment for Aug 27
Already pushed out till April ****
  • Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0
  • CZ P10c Optics Ready
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islabaseball View Post
Already pushed out till April ****
Consider yourself lucky. I emailed Friday morning & my appt is September 18th.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:24 AM

Automated reply saying we're busy and will get to you when we can.

Old 02-25-2014, 8:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
Automated reply saying we're busy and will get to you when we can.

Email, you will get through quicker without holding the phone to your ear for an hour. Someone in another thread reported that they have a new email address for permits:

CCWpermits@ocsd.org

Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
That assumes that you could find a local police chief of a city large enough to matter who isn't appaplectic about CCW
Agreed. Tustin PD (though not a large department) just swore in our new Chief last week. I called today to see if the new Chief issued LTC. The girl I spoke to called back within five minutes and advised that they do not issue carry permits and to contact the OC Sheriff to apply.

If you live in Tustin and have applied with OCSD, if asked by the interviewer if you tried to get a permit through Tustin first, Megan (who was very polite on the phone) advised that Tustin PD does not issue permits.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Email, you will get through quicker without holding the phone to your ear for an hour. Someone in another thread reported that they have a new email address for permits:

CCWpermits@ocsd.org

I had emailed Ms. Soto and got that reply. I'll try this new email address next. Thanks

Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Default fishy

I contacted them Friday and have an appointment for late summer. I'm happy because it has been my dream for a long time to have a CCW, but I am sad it so delayed.

With that being said, the more time that has gone by has had me thinking, Is anyone else skeptical about OCSD jumping on the bandwagon immediately? Why would a semi anti-LTC sheriff almost instantly bend over? Life has taught me that most things that are too good to be true usually are. Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkppy View Post
I contacted them Friday and have an appointment for late summer. I'm happy because it has been my dream for a long time to have a CCW, but I am sad it so delayed.

With that being said, the more time that has gone by has had me thinking, Is anyone else skeptical about OCSD jumping on the bandwagon immediately? Why would a semi anti-LTC sheriff almost instantly bend over? Life has taught me that most things that are too good to be true usually are. Thoughts?
You could say that the sheriff sees the writing on the wall, especially the wall that lists the current lawsuit against her which is very similar to the Peruta case.

http://michellawyers.com/mckay-v-sheriff-hutchens/