Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of this product?
Great idea!!! 14 38.89%
Not so impressive. 13 36.11%
I would buy one. 4 11.11%
Awesome product. Definitely marketable. 12 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2013, 8:19 PM

Default Vehicle Handcuff Holster

As an officer or deputy on patrol, where do you keep your extra handcuffs? Do they roll around loosely in a door pocket, buried in a patrol bag, or maybe in the trunk of your vehicle? Some LEO’s I know loop their cuffs on the handle/shaft of the spot lamp but that still can be inconvenient getting them off when you need them. After hearing LEO stories and seeing the problem I figured there had to be a better way to equip those protecting our communities.

As I previously mentioned many on patrol, mostly still in Ford Crown Vics, loop their extra handcuffs on the spot lamp. But as we know the Crown Victoria is no longer in production and is being replaced by the Taurus, Charger, and Caprice sedans. And the issue remains on where is the best location to keep your extra cuffs. The spot lamp? For some models the shaft is so short that the handle is directly against the A-pillar. There isn’t room at all to loop any on. The shaft of the spot lamp is very long on others making is awkward and creating an annoying rattle. My point is there has never been an efficient way of storing additional handcuffs. And especially for those patrolling solo without a partner, how quickly can you detain multiple suspects with JUST the cuffs you can employ from your duty belt? When back up in still en route or simply unavailable the necessity for you to detain all suspects if need be becomes an officer safety issue as situations escalate.

I’ve developed a vehicle accessory specifically with our LEO’s in mind to enhance their safety while on duty. After experimenting with Kydex and making holsters for side arms, magazines, etc. I transitioned what I learned to an entirely different platform; vehicles. I designed a vehicular handcuff holster that is currently patent pending and is the sole reason behind the launching of RTI LLC.

My holster design is unique in several ways tactically giving our LEO’s an extra hand. The holster is strategically located on the A-pillar near to where most operators are already accustomed to reaching for their spares. The holster stores the handcuffs securely, quietly, and in the most conveniently accessible location in the vehicle without obscuring the driver’s field of vision or creating additional obstacles when entering or exiting the vehicle. The holster is extremely light weight and low profile. The holster is also universal because of its "open box" shape. This feature allows the holster to accommodate different handcuffs regardless the chain/link type or if its a hinged cuff. Best of all, my patent pending design requires no hardware or adhesive to install while maintaining its position and orientation. This means if a department does not equip an entire fleet with this holster design it will still allow the operator to install and uninstall with ease.

Please comment, feel free to ask questions, and participate in the poll at the top of the page.

Thank you fellow CalGunners!!!

Last edited by rntaylor87; 06-07-2013 at 3:52 PM..
Old 06-06-2013, 8:32 PM

Maybe I missed it - what vehicles will you make it for? A passenger side version or driver only? I think it's an interesting idea, but price point would be the ultimate deciding factor for me.
Old 06-06-2013, 9:23 PM

Driver and passenger sides for all models of police vehicles. It will also come in a double cuff variant.

Last edited by rntaylor87; 06-07-2013 at 8:58 AM..
Old 06-06-2013, 9:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Where are the side impact airbags located in the new rigs?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-07-2013, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Where are the side impact airbags located in the new rigs?
The side impact curtains on all new law enforcement sedans are located in either the B-pillar or headliner in addition to the thorax airbags deployed from the side bolster of the seats.
Old 06-06-2013, 9:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks "cool", but if I needed more than the 3 that I had on me, I just got the flex cuffs out of the duty bag on the passenger seat. Unless you can offer it for dirt cheap, I just don't see it being practical. I also would be worried about the cuffs becoming a projectile in an accident.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Extra set goes over passenger spot light handle... Never had a problem with it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 PM

I like the idea of the holder..
Does it just snap onto the A-pillar?
Can it be removed for the end of shift? Will it break at the tension points?
My patrol car is shared with others so I don't want it walking away,,
Old 06-07-2013, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue187 View Post
I like the idea of the holder..
Does it just snap onto the A-pillar?
Can it be removed for the end of shift? Will it break at the tension points?
My patrol car is shared with others so I don't want it walking away,,
Yes, it simply snaps on the A-pillar molding. The holster uses the interior structural supports on the inside of the OEM molding. These supports correlate with the holsters main points of contact which actually bear little to no stress at all. And peace officers without take home cars were considered in the making of this product. The holster can be easily and quickly installed or removed at shift changes for those of you.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM

I think its a cool concept. I pretty have the same questions as above. But also as stated above, I carry 2 cuffs on me, so if I need to get more I'm sure Ill have the time to get to my bag. I'd be interested to see what other items could be placed there.

US Army Combat Engineer 03'-08' 1st Cav
Old 06-07-2013, 12:20 AM

Both extra sets go on the back of my vest I wear for patrol. I like your idea though and definitely think its marketable.
Old 06-07-2013, 9:25 AM

If you can make that a cup holder you will be rich.
Old 06-10-2013, 9:40 PM

Redvines... Lol
Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

I probably wouldn't use one (at least not in my current assignment), but I know some guys who definitely would. It's certainly a good idea and if you start selling them I will spread the word around.

Have you considered other types of attachments such as one for a large flashlight? I know many guys who don't keep their big lights on their belt but rather in their sap pockets. When they get into the car they place them in the side of the door. A holder for for those might be something to think about too. Or maybe one for cans of chew...
Old 06-11-2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
I know many guys who don't keep their big lights on their belt but rather in their sap pockets. When they get into the car they place them in the side of the door. A holder for for those might be something to think about too.
A holder for a Streamlight SL20 series flashlights would probably sell.
Old 06-11-2013, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVines View Post
A holder for a Streamlight SL20 series flashlights would probably sell.
Sure would.

As far as this cuff holder deal. Why on earth would you need them in your car... if so carry a ton of zip cuffs (per individual agency policy)... as the only time you would be going to your car to get cuffs should be the time you require a ton for a riot type situation.

FOLKS WHO NEED THIS DISCLAIMER NEED MUCH MORE THAN THIS DISCLAIMER.
Old 06-11-2013, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm, I don't get it. As others have said, if you need more than the two you carry on one's Sam brown, use your partner's or flex cuffs.

Other than watching bad re-runs of "COPS," from the east coast where some back there like to place cuffs around a spot light handle, I've never ever seen anyone in LA County carry that way. Nor Orange, San Berdo or Riverside for that matter.

Also, when exiting a patrol car, the last thing I want to do is have something in my gun hand, especially since my other hand has a flashlight in it.

Again, why????

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Chew holder-----> +1!
Old 06-11-2013, 5:02 AM

If you can make one to fit the B post in an international and Ford F-series I bet tow companies would buy them. I hate my light rolling around on the floor.
Old 06-11-2013, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Tourniquet holder would be a better idea to me....
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM

My second pair of cuffs is either on the spotlight handle of my side (depends if I'm driver or radioman that night) or hanging from a belt keeper on my backside.

Neat idea, but I dunno how practical. And if any of it screws into the trim that might kill it for a lot of guys. Pool cars = don't GQ it up.
Old 09-14-2013, 8:55 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlDuche View Post
My second pair of cuffs is either on the spotlight handle of my side (depends if I'm driver or radioman that night) or hanging from a belt keeper on my backside.

Neat idea, but I dunno how practical. And if any of it screws into the trim that might kill it for a lot of guys. Pool cars = don't GQ it up.
A little OT and just my 2 cents as a retired leo, but you may want to reconsider hanging a pair of cuffs on the spotlight handle. Tho it obviously hasn't occurred or you would have probably mentioned it, a code 3 pursuit with a lot of turns or worse, an accident, might result in those cuffs causing injury to you or your partner if they come off and go flying. Please, no discussion about this from any member that turns this completely OT; just something to think about. Be safe.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 PM

22 the part about modifying the trim. I was wrong, sounds like a temp install. Which makes me curious how long it would last...might be an idea for plainclothes though.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you have the time to get back to the patrol unit to get the handcuffs out of this holder, then you have the time to get the handcuffs out of a extra bag.

With a holder like this, it would be easier to forget about the taking the handcuffs out of the vehicle. So there is a good chance that you would loose them to another officer when you came back to work
Old 06-29-2013, 8:50 PM

I would definitely be interested in a double set....
Old 09-13-2013, 6:43 PM

BTT
Old 09-15-2013, 6:28 AM

On my belt. If my cuffs aren't on me, they're no good to me.
Old 09-15-2013, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

I carry two cuffs on me and two more in my war bag along with a bunch of disposables. It's a cool idea, but I'm not sure if I'd really use it.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 09-20-2013, 6:12 PM

I like the idea but as others have pointed out it may not be practical. I carried two sets on my belt and 2 flex cuffs wrapped around my belt under the gear. That's 4 cuffs in all. I would think by that time backup would be there or safety would be an issue where you would wait for back-up before approaching a situation that required cuffing 4 people.
Flying objects in a crash or high speed pursuit and it coming loose is also a concern.
Again its a neat idea, I'm sure there would be people interested but not sure its practical, price point would also be an issue. One other thing is if it can't be installed and removed in 60 seconds or less I'm not sure I would want to do that every shift.

just my 2 cents

Always confirm it for yourself. Ignorance is no excuse.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac380 View Post
I like the idea but as others have pointed out it may not be practical. I carried two sets on my belt and 2 flex cuffs wrapped around my belt under the gear. That's 4 cuffs in all. I would think by that time backup would be there or safety would be an issue where you would wait for back-up before approaching a situation that required cuffing 4 people.
Flying objects in a crash or high speed pursuit and it coming loose is also a concern.
Again its a neat idea, I'm sure there would be people interested but not sure its practical, price point would also be an issue. One other thing is if it can't be installed and removed in 60 seconds or less I'm not sure I would want to do that every shift.

just my 2 cents

I can see everyone's concern for flying debris in a collision or pursuit. And I know not everyone utilizes the spot lamp to hang cuffs but keep in mind many do and not everyone carries flex cuffs or are allowed to per department policy. Understand the basic kydex holster concepts and usage. The cuffs are very secure and will not come out regardless of how aggressive you are driving and will only come out if pulled with enough force in one single direction.

In the details describing the holster above, it states the simplicity of installation with out the need for hardware. The holster does not require any tool or supplemental material to install. The holster can be installed or removed in less than 30 seconds.