Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
Do you really want to play russian roulette with your baby's health?
No.
Old 05-07-2013, 3:01 PM

Would I take my new born to the shooting range? No I wouldn't but I also wouldn't call this father an idiot either. You don't even know how close he took him to the firing line. People say I shouldn't take my son to the golf course because he might get hit in the head with a golf ball. They call me all kinds of stuff but I don't care i'm going to take him with me and enjoy it. I guess I shouldn't take him anywhere in the car in case i get an a accident too.
Old 05-07-2013, 3:26 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

I wouldn't call him an idiot but I would take a moment to point out the risk he was taking. If I was unknowingly exposing my child to toxic substances with lifelong consequences, I would hope that someone would have the humanity to inform me.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 05-07-2013, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I wouldn't call him an idiot but I would take a moment to point out the risk he was taking. If I was unknowingly exposing my child to toxic substances with lifelong consequences, I would hope that someone would have the humanity to inform me.
Be forewarned, then. Don't have children.

Last edited by leadchucker; 05-07-2013 at 3:48 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 3:52 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadchucker View Post
Somehow I missed where the dad let a blanket touch a wall.
You obviously have never been responsible for a newborn. Their stuff goes everywhere. I could not count the times I have cleaned a dropped binky or bottle with my own mouth for lack of a better implement. It's called "love".

I could just MYOB, but I am letting you know beforehand because I am not a callous A-hole

Old 05-07-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
You obviously have never been responsible for a newborn. Their stuff goes everywhere. I could not count the times I have cleaned a dropped binky or bottle with my own mouth for lack of a better implement. It's called "love".

I could just MYOB, but I am letting you know beforehand because I am not a callous A-hole
Too late. I have already raised two. And I promise you I never spit on anything they would put in their mouths. Talk about contamination!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

I don't know about your mouth but it was on the floor is far worse than any contamination in my mouth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-08-2013, 5:30 AM

The dad may have something to worry about when the mom finds out.

“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Old 05-08-2013, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunker951 View Post
Would I take my new born to the shooting range? No I wouldn't but I also wouldn't call this father an idiot either. You don't even know how close he took him to the firing line. People say I shouldn't take my son to the golf course because he might get hit in the head with a golf ball. They call me all kinds of stuff but I don't care i'm going to take him with me and enjoy it. I guess I shouldn't take him anywhere in the car in case i get an a accident too.
I was just there last Wednesday and the path that leads to the rifle range goes past the shotgun shooting area. There were several people shooting clay not more than 10 feet or so away from the path. I am sure there is lead all over the place. The father is an idiot. What was so important that couldn't wait until someone could watch the baby?
Old 05-08-2013, 1:33 PM

It's really true, that the earlier the exposure to lead, etc., the worse it is. Little children are the most vulnerable and there's no question about it. Because it's CUMULATIVE exposure, which is to say, no one gets lead poisoning from one exposure, it's repeated doses that do the damage.

When pencils still had lead "leads" in them, children and adults got poisoned gradually, by licking the ends, for decades. (Yes, they really did it. Ask your grampa). Now pencils have graphite in them, because someone noticed lead poisoning symptoms showing up. I'm not persuaded that graphite is good to eat, but people rarely lick the ends of pencils any more. Pewter was a common food container throughout history and yep, has lead as a major component. It's a miracle the species survived.

Bringing it to parents' attention to such risks in a polite and reasonable way is a good thing to do, they may not know. However, attacking a parent for keeping his child close is not going to get the desired result, or any good result at all.

Let's give good advice and let's be civil about it.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 05-08-2013 at 1:46 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
When pencils still had lead "leads" in them, children and adults got poisoned gradually, by licking the ends, for decades. (Yes, they really did it. Ask your grampa). Now pencils have graphite in them, because someone noticed lead poisoning symptoms showing up. I'm not persuaded that graphite is good to eat, but people rarely lick the ends of pencils any more. Pewter was a common food container throughout history and yep, has lead as a major component. It's a miracle the species survived.
Not only that, but gasoline (think exhaust) contained lead, plumbing solder contained lead, brass plumbing fittings contained lead, the paint on cribs (yum!) contained lead, heck, most paints contained lead, wheel weights were lead, yada yada yada. We cast bullets, we cast fishing weights, we cast scuba weights, we cast (and played with) lead soldiers, we lined the valleys on our roofs with lead sheet, etc. Hell, lead was all around us, being ingested daily, yet it seems like we have more and more kids with learning and behavior disorders now than ever before, even though we have less lead exposure than ever before. Personally, I think the lead problem is overblown, as are most environmental issues the liberals push.

As for the shotgun range and lead, now there might be more of a valid concern regarding airborne lead dust, though most shot that I see is pretty clean and dust-free (after all, it's dropped into a liquid to harden).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
What was so important that couldn't wait until someone could watch the baby?
Maybe mommy was around. But, still, I agree. What was so important that he would risk his baby's hearing being damaged? To me, that is the main issue.

Last edited by leadchucker; 05-08-2013 at 4:26 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 4:28 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
the paint on cribs (yum!) contained lead

Well, that explains a lot

Old 05-08-2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Well, that explains a lot

Quote:
I don't know about your mouth but it was on the floor is far worse than any contamination in my mouth
And you know this how? Did you have your saliva tested before slobbering on baby's binky and sticking it back in his mouth? There a quite a few illnesses with which you can be contagious before symptoms appear, some of which can even prove fatal to an infant. If my baby was addicted to a pacifier, I would wait until I could wash it properly- baby will survive without it for a while. I'm sure now you're glad I let you know about the risk. I could just MYOB, but I am letting you know beforehand because I am not a callous A-hole
Old 05-08-2013, 6:24 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

And you know this how? Did you have your saliva tested before slobbering on baby's binky and sticking it back in his mouth? There a quite a few illnesses with which you can be contagious before symptoms appear, some of which can even prove fatal to an infant. If my baby was addicted to a pacifier, I would wait until I could wash it properly- baby will survive without it for a while. I'm sure now you're glad I let you know about the risk. I could just MYOB, but I am letting you know beforehand because I am not a callous A-hole
Quote:
Kids who sucked on pacifier cleaned by their parents' spit were less likely to develop allergies than babies whose pacifiers were rinsed in water.

The study found that harmless bacteria transferred via pacifier from a parent’s mouth to their child's actually stimulated their immune system, helping the child build defenses to allergies.

"There is the theory that maybe we’re keeping our kids a little too clean, so we’re seeing more allergies," said Dr. Ronald Ferdman, a practicing pediatrician specializing in immunology and allergy at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.

The scientists looked at the pacifier-cleaning tactics of 184 infants and their parents, and swabbed the babies’ mouths starting at 4 months old.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...206299061.html

Last edited by five.five-six; 05-08-2013 at 6:28 PM.. Reason: Perhaps in your case MYOB would be the best pollicy
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well this one only took 30 or so posts before it turned into a fight and a mere 80 posts for Obama got into it (not even sure how that happened).

Father of 3 boys (22, 19 and 16) and I would NOT take them to a range when they are car seat age.

Putting aside the lead issue (as I'm not sure one outing would have any lasting effects) . . . the real issue is the noise as all it takes is a few exposures to have measurable hearing lose.

As new shooter I took my boys who are full grown to the range. We bought 4 pairs of those $18 ear protectors. 2 of my boys complained it was to loud. Oldest said it was to loud but he was having to much fun. We went back in and got ear plugs to wear under the ear muffs and it was better. Since then I've invested in much better noise cancelling ear muffs.

Point here is I would never take the boys to do anything that has risks until they were old enough to tell me they did not like it or want to do it. An infant does not have that ability.

So failure on the father in my opinion . . .
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream

Last edited by calif 15-22; 05-17-2013 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2013, 2:35 PM

There is not an over the ear protection system that is a good as inside the ear plugs. Every hearing protection system has a db rating, most don't pay attention to the numbers.
If we paid attention to every potential danger, we'd never leave our "clean room" and never ever reproduce. Death is certain no matter how well we think we protect each other. Do you really want to live "hear" any longer than necessary?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-19-2013, 8:13 AM

Jesus F ing Christ. What a bunch of whinny women ... My generation grew up In houses panted with lead based paint, no seat belts, no helmets, and duct tape was the most advanced hemostat of the time. We swam in the creek and played smear the queer... We had BB gun fights and dirt clod wars.... We made ramps form fence boards and buckets.... No wonder things are how they are..
The difference between some mall ninja weekend shooter and someone who has MARKSMEN in his blood is just that..that child I'd just being indoctrinated into the life that he was born into.. My son sat in his high chair at 1 with play tools and a plastic pistol and mimicked me as I worked on mine.. I would take him to the range and stand by the cars and let him hear the noises. Get him acclimated ...
I have friends that have their infants in the garage while they work on cars.. Plenty of fumes and potentially toxic materials arround....
I think you pussies need to go ride a bike with out a helmet and MYOFB ....
Old 05-19-2013, 8:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbones View Post
Jesus F ing Christ. What a bunch of whinny women ... My generation grew up In houses panted with lead based paint, no seat belts, no helmets, and duct tape was the most advanced hemostat of the time. We swam in the creek and played smear the queer... We had BB gun fights and dirt clod wars.... We made ramps form fence boards and buckets.... No wonder things are how they are..
The difference between some mall ninja weekend shooter and someone who has MARKSMEN in his blood is just that..that child I'd just being indoctrinated into the life that he was born into.. My son sat in his high chair at 1 with play tools and a plastic pistol and mimicked me as I worked on mine.. I would take him to the range and stand by the cars and let him hear the noises. Get him acclimated ...
I have friends that have their infants in the garage while they work on cars.. Plenty of fumes and potentially toxic materials arround....
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
And all that bad stuff turned you into a cranky old man.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Bassbones I agree with everything in yout post except one. Your son "standing by the cars in the parking lot" is way different than an infant in a car seat at a range bench. The noise is much louder there. I would not care about the lead as the exposure in small and limited. The noise however would be a concern.

Took my son to Reeds and some nut was rapid firing a hand cannon. We had to leave it was so loud.
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 05-19-2013, 7:04 PM

Ill put money on it savage didnt allow him on the firing line. or grant, or sebastian or johnny or beull. those guys would send him packing. I dont do ears and eyes til i get up to the pro shoppe on the rifle range.

i promise you with hot brass flying they wouldnt let a little one past the gate.
Old 05-19-2013, 7:14 PM

what our post starter didnt mention until page three? was he didnt go on the firing line... wasnt shooting yet just walking a round with his dogs and baby in a car seat.

you, sir, are an alarmist... and have a strange relationship with the truth...

Last edited by shotlady; 05-19-2013 at 7:26 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotlady View Post
what our post starter didnt mention until page three? was he didnt go on the firing line... wasnt shooting yet just walking a round with his dogs and baby in a car seat.

you, sir, are an alarmist... your time would be better spent at a gynacologist's office getting that stinch looked at. pretty good bait though, you hooked me.
And maybe you should spend your time better by going to an optometrist because it was the second page and a totally different incident and a different place.
Old 05-19-2013, 7:36 PM

true that...like i can read through all the whining some of these posters shouldnt be buying ammo, they should be buying vagisil.

i garan- god- damned -tee ya this guy wasnt on the firing line. OT dont do business like that.
Brandi

Last edited by shotlady; 05-19-2013 at 7:44 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 8:05 PM

Quote:
true that...like i can read through all the whining some of these posters shouldnt be buying ammo, they should be buying vagisil.

i garan- god- damned -tee ya this guy wasnt on the firing line. OT dont do business like that.
Brandi
I think you are missing the point of the discussion. It's not that he was shooting it was because he was exposing his newborn to a potentially harmful environment.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:07 PM

Have you been there? its not potentially harmful, i promise you the car ride over is much more dangerous LOL
i would walk a new born on the same path. yes and i am momzilla crazy protective. I take my two prized sons (marines) there all the time.

perhaps yer right, i certainly dont understand the point of this discussion when its a non issue.

Last edited by shotlady; 05-19-2013 at 8:12 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Have you been there? its not potentially harmful, i promise you the car ride over is much more dangerous LOL
i would walk a new born on the same path. yes and i am momzilla crazy protective. I take my two prized sons (marines) there all the time.

perhaps yer right, i certainly dont understand the point of this discussion when its a non issue.
Yes, I have been there and I know how close the path is to the firing line for the clay shooting area. If you would walk your newborn on the same path then you too are stupid. Why don't we just give the libs another reason to take away our gun rights.
Old 05-20-2013, 6:19 AM

ohh now im stupid. bet im a racist too.. yep you sound that lame. those paths are not the firing line. they are near the clays but not in the firing line.

point is yes id take a kid to this gun range on the same path. the kid here wasnt taken on the firing line but on the walk way paths to the rifle range. our original poster was economical with the truth and didnt state this father wasnt on the firing line. which is a whole other discussion.

Id have ear and eye protection on my kid just as i would myself. no i wouldnt put my kid on the firing line or the bench behind it. I wouldnt bring my toddler and shoot. you cant watch what you are doing, what others are doing and your kid at the same time.

I challenge you to promote safety and gun ownership and safe handling more than i have. having a patch and a shopping list doesnt mean safety. I can see you indiscriminently shoot off your mouth with out knowing who or what is stupid.

tell you what, ill treat you to a range day or night at ot. ill even throw some ammo to you and youll see just how stupid i aint. hell, even bring yer chinese sks i have range safe 762x39.

Last edited by shotlady; 05-20-2013 at 7:25 AM..
Old 06-05-2013, 3:14 PM

Disregarding danger to a child's health just because his parent(s) are morons doesn't make you a rugged individualist believer in personal rights, but rather a callous dip****. "Hurr durr, my mommy used to drink a shot of whiskey everyday while she was preggers with me, and it didn't hurt me any. Nope-nope-nope."

P.S This post does not constitute a request for Njineermike's opinion. MYOB.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterbox View Post
Disregarding danger to a child's health just because his parent(s) are morons doesn't make you a rugged individualist believer in personal rights, but rather a callous dip****. "Hurr durr, my mommy used to drink a shot of whiskey everyday while she was preggers with me, and it didn't hurt me any. Nope-nope-nope."

P.S This post does not constitute a request for Njineermike's opinion. MYOB.
I wasn't going to give any since I haven't touched this thread in a month. Buy a calendar and get someone to explain how it works.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 06-06-2013, 12:42 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If the kid is too young to tell you the ear protection isn't sealing correctly, the kid is too young for the range IMO.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM

by some of these responses i can tell that there are a lot of young city people on here.one day at the range for that infant is nothing to the years of houses, baby cribs and toys painted with lead base paint.all the little kids and baby's would chew and gnaw on all those things for days.its because of people like some of you we can no longer ride in the back of pick-up trucks, ride our bikes without helmets and smoke em if we got em. some of you guys need to relax a little
Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM

I wonder where the mom was...

I take the MYOB approach on many things but that just makes no sense. Why would you want to change a *****ty diaper while you are shooting?

Kids better off at the house till it understands wtf is going on.

Last edited by Just-in; 06-12-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 5:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Wonder why the range itself does not have some restriction on this type
situation. Pete
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 06-13-2013, 8:32 AM

You are taking the chance of damaging your child's future. I really don't think it's worth the risk.
Should I say something to the guy, yes, I believe so. Not to belittle or attack the guy, but maybe a little education. If he's a long time shooter then I can only assume he doesn't really give a crap about his kid(s).
Mind my own business..........the kids health care expenses may be mine and your responsibility in the future, I refuse to accept paying for stupid!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
by some of these responses i can tell that there are a lot of young city people on here.one day at the range for that infant is nothing to the years of houses, baby cribs and toys painted with lead base paint.all the little kids and baby's would chew and gnaw on all those things for days.its because of people like some of you we can no longer ride in the back of pick-up trucks, ride our bikes without helmets and smoke em if we got em. some of you guys need to relax a little
Yeah, back in the day we would ride in the back of dad's truck,,on the freeway Race bmx style all over the place with no helmet,,,lead based paint,,mmmm tasty! and yes I stole some of my old man's Pall Mall's it was the 70's,,,am i lucky I lived?,,,I think so anyways!

It all depends on where you live and what your doing,,,But an infant at the range,,,,f'ing really?? It's 2013 and MORONS are everywhere you turn,, could you even imagine rolling around Los Angeles with your kids in the back of your truck,,,, Now if I'm down on Pismo Beach doing 5 mph,,sure why not,,,I can't depend on others not doing stupid things,,hence i stay out of the way and pay attention to others. In 1950 Calif population was approx 10 million and now it's close to 40 million,,you figure it out

I suppose that asbestos under the " tile " is no big deal either tileguy,,,

cheese
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Did the rangemaster stop the guy
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffme View Post
....the kids health care expenses may be mine and your responsibility in the future,...
Ah, embracing socialism as a valid excuse for leveraging your point of view. What a good.....comrade. Maybe call the authorities and have his children hauled off to State ward for their own good. Either way, socialism will cost you dearly. I refuse to accept paying for your socialism.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
.one day at the range for that infant is nothing to the years of houses, baby cribs and toys painted with lead base paint.all the little kids and baby's would chew and gnaw on all those things for days.its because of people like some of you we can no longer ride in the back of pick-up trucks, ride our bikes without helmets and smoke em if we got em. some of you guys need to relax a little
And you know this how?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseball View Post

I suppose that asbestos under the " tile " is no big deal either tileguy,,,
It isn't a problem until you expose it and start up that belt sander.

And with that closing comment, this thread is done..

Last edited by Turbinator; 06-16-2013 at 6:17 AM..
Closed Thread