Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 09-19-2011, 9:01 AM

Default After Action Report Corona 210 Sept 17/18 2011

Well Corona 210 has come and gone, what a blast, you shoulda been there...

Feel free to post picture links, stories here and you can read (and if you register over there) post message on the Appleseed's forum here

Hope to see you all again on the Appleseed trail, but don't forget, bring your friends and family to the next one.

See the Appleseed schedule here to find other Appleseeds around the state, we are at Corona every month.

Cheers
Phil aka "V" on Appleseed
Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 AM

"Repost"

My son and I were in yellow flight and benefitted so much even though we could only attend one day. At the end of the day my boy had improved so much he really wants to go back and get that badge!

I am very grateful for the instructors helping my son Jordan and I. It was only Jordan's 2nd time shooting the 10/22 and his 1st time was a week ago for a quick familiarization and zero. I was struggling to help him get prep for the stages and watch his safety and then get myself prepped and in the bubble before the stages start!

Steve 7.62 helped very much with this... and Kent's knowledge, demos,teaching and professionallism was admirable.

I learned I need to fit a stock to my son as the carbine stock is just too big I wish he'd grow.. And it's really hard to help my child and also prep myself in 2 minutes without steaming up my shooting glasses. When I take my twins I will sit out!
I have alot of dryfire to do as I could only manage 150 at the end of first day. Jordan got almost all 3 in the 400 yard target at the end of day and improved so much! Oh and I won the raffle for an LTR which is perfect because I have 3 kids that can all go on the line at the same time in the future!!!

Thank you very much!!
Phil
Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Oh and I have relied too much on optics the techsighted 10/22 I used is a great trainer. I recommend optics for kids especially unless they are seasoned with Irons. I will get my badge with Irons.

Regards!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great time!

re: iron sights - it just depends on your eyesight. Mine's a little marginal so I can appreciate how if mine was just a bit worse it would be really hard to shoot the slow fire target accurately.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM

I had a blast! I was in a great group (Pink Floyd Flight) of good people and awesome instructors. I can't wait till my next seed.

I almost forgot to add. I love my new Cold Steel knife.

Last edited by Rich2011; 09-19-2011 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 09-19-2011, 4:02 PM

I had a really great time also. I was on the blue flight. The flight boss Chris was great at giving us instruction & helping us when we needed. I learned allot & can't wait to go to the next one schedule allowing. I believe a saw when Rich2011 won his Cold Steel knife, I was in the same tent sitting behind him. I can't complain either because I won the Marlin Model 795 & all the goodies that came with it. If you have never been to one I highly recommend that you go to one.
Old 09-19-2011, 4:15 PM

I had an amazing weekend. The instruction was excellent, and it was formatted in a way that built brick by brick a solid shooting foundation. I was worried that Saturday would be 5 hours of talking followed by a little shooting, but that wasn't the case at all. I wasn't able to shoot a rifleman's score, but I vastly improved between Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. I went from hitting nothing at all on the first redcoat target of the weekend, to barely missing just two shots on the redcoat target Sunday afternoon. All of that was thanks to the instructors, the instruction itself, and the friendly and helpful attitude of everyone involved in the weekend.

I can't wait to come back, and I will be bringing more people with me. Everyone should experience an Appleseed!

Last edited by dtjester; 09-20-2011 at 8:03 AM.. Reason: Update my AAR
Old 09-19-2011, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtjester View Post
Tagged to follow this thread, and post my AAR when I get to a computer
You know, if you click on "thread tools" above it and go from there it will email you when anybody adds to the thread.
Old 09-19-2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
You know, if you click on "thread tools" above it and go from there it will email you when anybody adds to the thread.
thanks but i'm on the app on my phone, this was easier than figuring out how to subscribe and gives me a placeholder to put my AAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Bay Basser View Post
...I'm safe and they smell like snuggle bear now.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 PM

Default Green flighter

Appleseed 210 was crowded, but I had an absolute blast. The instructors were awesome. I did not improve like I expected to, but I learned a lot. I will definitely be practicing on my own and will come back for my patch.
Old 09-21-2011, 3:47 PM

Default There were 150 people at least there...

and a bunch of them were calgunners.... where are all the comments. Everyone still recovering from the exertion?

I'm asking people to get photo's up on the Appleseed AAR, I saw a lot of cameras so I know they are out there, but not many people have commented -- on either site.

Thanks to all those who have commented and I'm glad they are positive and everyone had a good time - that makes all the effort of our volunteers to put these things on worthwhile.

But comment on anything, good or bad, like Bob said, thats how we improve.

There are four new rifle owners out there (Calguns, Turners and Appleseed), plus a $500 gift certificate winner from the CRPA. I know, apart from the Garand winner they are all in jail waiting for the 10 days....

So once again, thank you to all our sponsors and everyone who turned up.

Cheers
V

Last edited by V; 09-21-2011 at 3:51 PM..
Old 09-21-2011, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I am in this photo! But I am not the proud new owner of a Garand :\
Old 09-21-2011, 9:36 PM
CGSSA Leader

There's a ton of new pictures at the Appleseed Forum. Feel free to contact us for copies.
Old 09-22-2011, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nick Garner from SportsTalk4Kids reported on the event.

Check it out!

-Peter
Commerce without morality
Science without humanity
Worship without sacrifice
Politics without principle
- Ghandi, Mohandas (The Blunders of the World)
Rights without responsibilities
- Ghandi, Arun
Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM

I had a GREAT time. As for everyone I met at Appleseed this weekend, I don't think one could find a FINER group of folks anywhere. I felt very 'At Home'. The instructors are absolutely top notch and very passionate. Unbelievable considering they are all volunteers! I admire the heck out of them!

V is asking for photos so Ive attached a couple of photos my wife took while we were there, Three of the four are of me, cant help it, the photographer was biased.

Matt (Orange Flight)

Last edited by msteel; 02-07-2013 at 8:51 PM..
Old 09-22-2011, 7:56 PM
CGSSA Leader

Hey, Matt!

You left out the best part -- your new Rifleman patch!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Hey, Matt!

You left out the best part -- your new Rifleman patch!
Hey Rocketman!

Thanks again for all the help I got from you and the other instructors, I mean it sincerely!!!

You see, I have always considered myself a half-way-decent shot, but I've been struggling for years with consistency. With the knowledge and techniques I learned over that weekend I can clearly see the problems and bad habits that plagued me and how to get past them. In all honesty; While I am quite thrilled that I managed to shoot a Rifleman score, the knowledge I gained means far more to me then a patch. I'm already looking forward to attending another Appleseed to see if I can get threw it using a centerfire rifle with iron sights. After all, our forefathers didn't have fancy optics!

Besides, Ive got a few newbies already that are intrigued and need to be introduced to Appleseed, so " I'll Be Back! "

Yea, 210 is cool. but knowing what I know now? Stick-a-round, I'm just getting warmed up!

MSteel (aka Matt)