Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-02-2013, 6:51 PM

Default CA Department of Park and Recreation

CA Department of Park and Recreation is taking applications for State Park Peace Officers

Here is the link if anyone is intrested.

http://jobs.ca.gov/Bulletin/Bulletin...examCD=3PR0902
Old 08-02-2013, 8:06 PM

Tagging for when I get home
Old 08-03-2013, 10:43 AM

The new training facility is top notch. DPR is cranking out good officers.
Old 08-12-2013, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galli1565 View Post
The new training facility is top notch. DPR is cranking out good officers.
Sadly, their recurrent training is lacking. Low pay too. But, in today's economic depressed times, its still a job.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-12-2013, 9:09 PM

Thank You.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:16 PM

every State Park Peace Officer I've ever met has been friendly and professional. When you're out in the middle of no where requesting a second unit, they're there.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhhlexxxis View Post
every State Park Peace Officer I've ever met has been friendly and professional. When you're out in the middle of no where requesting a second unit, they're there.
Never said they were unfriendly or unprofessional. Santa Cruz is "middle of nowhere?"

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-14-2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Never said they were unfriendly or unprofessional. Santa Cruz is "middle of nowhere?"
You clearly don't know how much unincorporated county we have. Sometimes it takes 40 minutes just to get there.
Old 08-15-2013, 5:38 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRevn View Post
STATE PARK RANGER CADET

Final File Date: 08/19/13
Monthly Salary: Range A : $ 3211.00 - $ 4187.00

Since the pay described is for the "CADET" position, I think that is just the pay you will receive while in their academy.

The Range A pay for a Ranger isn't much higher than the cadet pay...only a couple hundred bucks/month.

Quote:
You clearly don't know how much unincorporated county we have. Sometimes it takes 40 minutes just to get there.
There is a LOT of country out there, around Santa Cruz. Once you're outside the city and off of the main highway, it's real easy to be hours from anything, especially if you go out on foot.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sorry, still bored.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Pay sucks but its a cop job and gets your foot in the door. lateral after a few years if you hate it. better than nothing
Old 08-13-2013, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro6golf View Post
Pay sucks but its a cop job and gets your foot in the door. lateral after a few years if you hate it. better than nothing
True.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-14-2013, 8:02 PM

STATE PARK RANGER CADET

Final File Date: 08/19/13
Monthly Salary: Range A : $ 3211.00 - $ 4187.00

Since the pay described is for the "CADET" position, I think that is just the pay you will receive while in their academy.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 PM

The other problem is how long the application process is. I got my conditional offer after three years in the process. Still waiting for an academy start date....
Old 08-15-2013, 7:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorman View Post
CA Department of Park and Recreation is taking applications for State Park Peace Officers

Here is the link if anyone is intrested.

http://jobs.ca.gov/Bulletin/Bulletin...examCD=3PR0902
That is the exam, by the way, not the application. To apply for state employment, you must pass the exam, which puts you on a list. Once you are on the list, then you are eligible to apply for open positions. You are only reachable (which means you will receive application notices) if you are in the top 3 ranks. With veterans points, the top tier starts as high as 110. Usually 3rd rank is people who score 95.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
That is the exam, by the way, not the application. To apply for state employment, you must pass the exam, which puts you on a list. Once you are on the list, then you are eligible to apply for open positions. You are only reachable (which means you will receive application notices) if you are in the top 3 ranks. With veterans points, the top tier starts as high as 110. Usually 3rd rank is people who score 95.
Interesting stuff. By any chance are you a SPPO? I talked to someone at the dept and they said that the current process is that this batch of applicants will be used in an academy no earlier than January of 2015 and they would use this list of applicants for up to 3 academies. Hopefully they run 3 academies so more people can get jobs!
Old 08-27-2013, 6:14 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyson1311 View Post
...is that this batch of applicants will be used in an academy no earlier than January of 2015 ...
That sounds about right.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I'm not. I just know how the state hiring process works.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Don't be sorry. Thank you for shedding some insight as to how it works. I know that its certainly a long process!
Old 08-27-2013, 6:31 PM

wow, I finally found a job that pays less than mine
Old 09-10-2013, 1:18 PM

Did anybody else apply for this and/or hear back about being admitted to the exam?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Gonna bump the thread. Did anyone else apply?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM

I applied, took all the tests (as well as interviewed) and was accepted.
I was scheduled to attend the 6 Month Academy in Monterrey as I recall. I own a home in Southern CA and and after finding out the pay, I had to opt out. Sad, I really wanted to do this and eventually work in the Gorman OHV area.

The pay is literally peanuts and you cannot make a house payment until you are at least 5 years in. Well...at least not a house in the South Bay LA area.
It was a great experience and everyone I interacted with was professional and courteous. The written test is challenging if you have been out of school for a while, while the physical test was easy (as long as you were in relatively decent shape).

This was easily 7 years ago.

Remember, this is a state job which is already implementing furloughs. My brother is a supervisor ranger in the Malibu area. He is doing quite well and works a lot of overtime for the studios who like to film in the State Parks (this requires a Rangers presence). He has been with them quite a while and has a few perks for sure. If you got in back in the day you are set. I don't believe it's as lucrative these days.
Old 09-24-2013, 2:59 PM

Thanks for that information. I definitely agree that the pay is lacking, especially because as far as I have found, that is one of few LEO jobs that actually require any sort of college degree. (While its an associates, its still more than many LEO agencies want) I've heard that with ranger jobs, the "pay is partially in sunsets".

I am trying to get into law enforcement and enjoy the outdoors, which is why I applied.

I have seen other forums where people have gotten this particular job and it seems as if one of two things happened: They either loved it, managed with the pay, and stayed with it possibly looking to get some longevity or eventually move up (both of which get more pay) or wanted more pay sooner and changed LEO agencies. I figure that if I get in and regardless of what happens, the experience, training, and having my POST will be worth it. Personally, i'll take a job I enjoy and get paid a little less over a job I don't really want but like the paycheck (To a certain extent, anyways).

Hoping to schedule some ride alongs after the written test so I can really get an idea of what the job is about because online research and forum posts can only get you so far.

Last edited by Garyson1311; 09-24-2013 at 3:02 PM..
Old 09-24-2013, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

While you certainly have to be able to make ends meet, there are far more important things than how many dollars you make at the end of the year. If you really enjoy the outdoors and maybe other aspects of LEO work such as search and rescue, working OHV trails, etc, this may be your job.
Old 09-24-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
While you certainly have to be able to make ends meet, there are far more important things than how many dollars you make at the end of the year. If you really enjoy the outdoors and maybe other aspects of LEO work such as search and rescue, working OHV trails, etc, this may be your job.
Agreed. That's pretty much why I applied.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I retired from State Parks after an enjoyable career most of it working in Santa Cruz Co. I came to parks from another agency so I did not attend their academy but instead a regional police academy. I did instruct at the parks academy for many yeas and it is a good operation.

Yes there is better pay, I was offered work at the other agencies in the area but liked working in parks so much that I could not leave until an on the job injury finally ended it for as an SPPO.

I went to work for the University of California in non LEO job and retired from that as well. I do occasional gigs for the parks as a retired annuitant.

Working as a ranger was the best job I've had and I would not have traded it for anything. My pals at parks and in the local L.E. community are my family. I highly recommend it too anyone who enjoys the out of doors and working with people.

Last edited by psango; 09-24-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Old 09-25-2013, 6:34 AM

Thanks for that post and the insight. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the SPPO position but there is hardly anything online. I am glad that you loved your job and im sorry you suffered an injury. If I get in, I really think I would love the job just as you did.

If there's any more insight that you would be willing to offer, such as what a "day in the job" is like, or additional ways to prepare, tips for the hiring process, or anything else a seasoned ranger would tell a prospective cadet, I would love to hear them and possibly pick your brain if you would be willing to share info with me either through this forum, PM, or phone.

Again, thank you.