Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:16 PM

[QUOTE=redhemi;22238126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbles View Post
Thanks for the info. Kind of like changing socks and underwear at the same time. If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did all that cost, in particular the SACS work?

When it went to the Custom shop I had them flush cut and crown the barrel, FO front sight, cut front strap chain link design like MSH, blend supplied magwell and coat in black the bead blasted areas of the gun. Cost was a shade over $600 and that was around 7 years ago. She still looks and functions as well as when I got her back.
That's great. I was gonna guess more (but what do I know). I like the front strap chain link design. I imagine it offers additional grip without being too aggressive.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine is great. No complaints except 1911's are expensive - even the cheap ones. I also saw another LOADED come in from SA that seemed to have issues or it was over dirty and under lubed. Mine was not like that. Triggers do seems to vary a bit. In related news, RIA triggers are typically great even on those old Tacticals or the double stacks or whatever. But I have held some RIA's that felt like they want to cut you... various things need to be dehorned. If not the safeties, the grip. YMMV. Loaded could use some checkering, but I understand that is $1000 more on a 1911
Old 10-18-2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Mine is great. No complaints except 1911's are expensive - even the cheap ones. I also saw another LOADED come in from SA that seemed to have issues or it was over dirty and under lubed. Mine was not like that. Triggers do seems to vary a bit. In related news, RIA triggers are typically great even on those old Tacticals or the double stacks or whatever. But I have held some RIA's that felt like they want to cut you... various things need to be dehorned. If not the safeties, the grip. YMMV. Loaded could use some checkering, but I understand that is $1000 more on a 1911
Another vote for the SA 9mm.
Never held or fired a RIA 1911.
Old 10-20-2018, 9:07 AM

Well I was able to fondle both the SA and Kimber 1911s at the gun store this week. The Kimber felt nice and had the FO front sight, but the finish was lackluster. The SA looked better, and comes with 2 mags, but had some sharp edges. Overall I preferred the feel of the SA, but if I were to get one I see a FO front sight, G10 grips, and possibly a non-ambi safety in its future.

Going to polish up and take some pictures of my R1 today. Final step before putting the R1 up for sale is to find a SA in 9mm to shoot at a range and see if it’s the right fit.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5&G23 View Post
Mine was the most unreliable new handgun I've ever purchased. Very tight fit and slide just wouldn't reliably feed a round after the first one. First 10 mags would not feed rounds 2-9 without being manually pushed into battery.

I'd clean and notice shiny spots beginning to appear in slide and frame grooves due to wear fitting. Re lube, and back to the range. Began to run better at about 200 rounds and could run complete mags. Took it to a colder weather climate and had consistent feed issues again - lube was stiff in the cold temps. Clean, relube with fresh CLP, and it runs again.

Tried to run some old reloads I had, and several would not go into battery even with manual pressure. Same rounds would feed fine in my G19. Seems chamber is tighter than a Glock.

Bottom line, I like it but would not trust it for self defense. I got it as a range toy and cheaper to shoot than my 1911 45. Definitely not a "rattler" like one poster has.

I'm confident by the time I've fired 500 rounds it will be running smoothly in stock configuration. That said, I'm not an expert in 1911's and mine may be a candidate for an expert to inspect.
Just PMd you, but for everyone else, this seems to be a common problem with new Springfield 1911's because they only use red Locktite to secure the ejector and it works itself loose, eventually permanently jamming the gun in battery. The simple fix is to send the gun back to Springfield where they will fix (I assume, pin) the ejector so it doesn't happen again.

I heard about this problem when my gun started acting up this way. None of my other 1911s had ever behaved this way. I thought there was a problem with the slide, too, because the loose ejector somehow left some friction marks on the frame, but lube wouldn't help. My smith ID'd the problem immediately and tried to re-set it with new locktite, but it was only a temporary fix. Fortunately, their service department was lightning fast with their turnaround. I haven't had a single problem since the fix and the gun shoots flawlessly.

Last edited by Handgunther; 10-20-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-20-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhorton1 View Post
Well I was able to fondle both the SA and Kimber 1911s at the gun store this week. The Kimber felt nice and had the FO front sight, but the finish was lackluster. The SA looked better, and comes with 2 mags, but had some sharp edges. Overall I preferred the feel of the SA, but if I were to get one I see a FO front sight, G10 grips, and possibly a non-ambi safety in its future.

Going to polish up and take some pictures of my R1 today. Final step before putting the R1 up for sale is to find a SA in 9mm to shoot at a range and see if itís the right fit.
If you live in NorCal, I demo'd one at The Gun Range in North Highlands.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handgunther View Post
Just PMd you, but for everyone else, this seems to be a common problem with new Springfield 1911's because they only use red Locktite to secure the ejector and it works itself loose, eventually permanently jamming the gun in battery. The simple fix is to send the gun back to Springfield where they will fix (I assume, pin) the ejector so it doesn't happen again.
If it is so simple (and it most likely is), why dosent SA get their *%#* together and make it right the FIRST time?...Cost?.....So what!.....We spend enough time dealing with crappy workmanship in everything and everyone else in life, our favorite tools shouldn't be the same way. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I'm sick and tired of this BS.
The more I learn in gun life, I'm really starting to believe that you have few options: buy your gun in kit form and have someone qualified and experienced build it; pay for quality that works the first time; or settle for middle of the road production pieces that you know will have to be returned.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Never held or fired a RIA 1911.
A RIA doublestack for $425 or $450 is pretty much a steal and on-roster but they are milspec style and rough IMHO.

I think for most people, the Match is the way to go, or maybe the Citadel, which is more like the old Tactical.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
If it is so simple (and it most likely is), why dosent SA get their *%#* together and make it right the FIRST time?...Cost?.....So what!.....We spend enough time dealing with crappy workmanship in everything and everyone else in life, our favorite tools shouldn't be the same way. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I'm sick and tired of this BS.
The more I learn in gun life, I'm really starting to believe that you have few options: buy your gun in kit form and have someone qualified and experienced build it; pay for quality that works the first time; or settle for middle of the road production pieces that you know will have to be returned.
I wonder if this is an example of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." People post about problems, not a gun that works. I assume the vast majority of production guns fall into the latter category, otherwise a company's reputation would be crap and they would presumably fix the issue for future production models if it was common enough. I don't think most "middle of the road" (i.e. standard) production guns will need to be returned.

Your broader point is why I expanded the OP's question about how good the SA 1911 9mm is. It's a question that's generally applicable to any gun, I suppose. You summarized the 3 options very nicely.

1. Use a standard production gun ($-$$)
2. Have a master gun smith tune up a standard production gun ($$-$$$)
3. Buy a semi-custom or custom gun ($$$-$$$$)

If I do buy the SA 1911 9mm (or any other 1911), I will go with option 2 and send it to Brett Cifaldi. The fact that Mr. Cifaldi actively contributes to Calguns (including this thread) says a lot about his commitment to us. That plus the high quality of his work means he will have my business.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
A RIA doublestack for $425 or $450 is pretty much a steal and on-roster but they are milspec style and rough IMHO.

I think for most people, the Match is the way to go, or maybe the Citadel, which is more like the old Tactical.
Thanks for the advice. I think my friend has an RIA 1911 (not sure which model). I'll have to try it next time we go shooting.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:40 PM

I'm at the point in life where it is going to be semi-custom and beyond only, at least when it comes to sidearms. For rifles and social shotguns, having what you want worked over (or DIY personal touches) has long been the norm.
Old 10-20-2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
I imagine they can't permanently fix these bugs because they can't make any physical changes to their guns without having to re-register them with the California as a new version which would make it subject to micro-stamping - just my theory. Probably BS. QC is probably the primary culprit.

All I know is that most of the new handguns I've purchased in the past two years have gone back to the factory for simple repairs or replacement - 5 of 7 guns. No manufacturer I've bought from has been exempt. Once fixed, they're all great performing weapons. To be fair, some things don't show up until after a couple hundred rounds and things work themselves into and out of place.

S&W 640 Pro - Cracked Trigger
CZ Tactical Sport - Missing pins, safety fell off
S&W M27 - Chip in the blueing. Exchanged by S&W for [very nice, extremely tight fitting] new M27 during 10-day W/P
Springfield 1911 9mm - Loose extractor
Dan Wesson PM7 - Burst firing/trigger problem

I've come to expect most new guns will need tweaking before they'll perform to the user's expectations. It's why I much prefer to buy non-MIM, well-cared for used guns from trusted sellers.

Last edited by Handgunther; 10-20-2018 at 3:55 PM..
Old 10-20-2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Itís all about cost, SA like most manufacturers have cut costs to the bone, squeezed every penny together until they screamed- they donít really care about quality. They recognize most people who buy their guns wont shoot them hard or recognize the issues. If the average buyer shoots a couple of hundreds rounds a year, using the gun as a plinker why worry about it? For the 2-3% like us who shoot the gun and know what it should be, they know that we will send it back to them and its cheaper as a company to fix the squeaky wheel or better yet for SA people like me who buy it for the frame, throw everything else in the trash and send it to a smith to build it into a good gun.
Old 10-20-2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
Itís all about cost, SA like most manufacturers have cut costs to the bone, squeezed every penny together until they screamed- they donít really care about quality. They recognize most people who buy their guns wont shoot them hard or recognize the issues. If the average buyer shoots a couple of hundreds rounds a year, using the gun as a plinker why worry about it? For the 2-3% like us who shoot the gun and know what it should be, they know that we will send it back to them and its cheaper as a company to fix the squeaky wheel or better yet for SA people like me who buy it for the frame, throw everything else in the trash and send it to a smith to build it into a good gun.
Without knowing how much the guns should actually cost, it sounds like they are doing it the way they should at both the low and high end of the price scale. If the majority of guns are bought by casual shooters, the price and quality point means they can afford a decent and generally reliable product. More serious shooters can buy a higher end model or send any model to SACS (or a different smith) to get the kind of gun they want.

Just like the car world: there's the base model Corvette or 911, and then there's the ZR1 or GT3RS. Something for everyone.
Old 10-20-2018, 6:10 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1484584

buy his
Old 10-20-2018, 7:06 PM

This is the first thread where I've read negatives about SA 1911 Loaded in 9mm. Obviously I don't check this forum very frequently but I don't recall any threads trashing said handgun previously.

Mine is very accurate and has almost no recoil. Almost in line with FN FiveseveN.
Old 10-20-2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavelinFangs View Post
This is the first thread where I've read negatives about SA 1911 Loaded in 9mm. Obviously I don't check this forum very frequently but I don't recall any threads trashing said handgun previously.
Understand that anytime you hear of someone praising Springfield Armory's customer service they're subconsciously letting you know that Springfield Armory's QC makes their customer service necessary. You don't get an outstanding CS reputation without first having a crap QC reputation.

That and their insistence on using that goofy .220" radius on their BTGS. WTF, use the same radius every other company uses.

For what they charge for their guns there's no excuse for the QC issues.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

I love mine!! Very soft shooting and accurate as hell.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 10-20-2018, 11:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
Thanks. Already had contacted him.
Old 10-21-2018, 8:04 AM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

as most have said, pretty good gun except for a somewhat mediocre trigger (for a 1911) and sharp edges.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
NICE! Congratulations. (I assume you mean the FBI and not the 9mm) Only 10 more days. Tick-tock...
No, the $3500 FBI model is still sitting there waiting for YOU! It's been there since last Spring. I bought the SS 9mm, it's excellent.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
He ain't selling it.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

With my actual Springfield LT stainless and RO both in 9mm still with their stock MIM hammer, MIM sear, MIM disconnector, 3 finger leaf spring, a 2.5 - 3 lb trigger job can be achieved. I just wanted to see if they will actually hold over time and countless firings and dryfires. I really thought they would not hold and will either get lighter then runaway, or just get heavier and heavier. If feels a lot better than the stock trigger, but not as clean as a custom tool steel hammer/sear/disco that will cost you around $175. I did replace my mainspring with a 17lb Wolfe, both cap, strut are Titanium, and extended steel firing pin replaced the Titanium firing pin.

If you’re investing money on a match trigger job I would suggest buying the hard sear and hammer as a minimum. What’s the average gunsmith fee (not including parts) for a match/competition trigger job nowadays, $120? I heard someone is charging $200 for a 1.5 lb trigger job in a 1911.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine

Last edited by JTROKS; 10-21-2018 at 1:02 PM..
Old 10-21-2018, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Crumbles there is one for sale and not far from you.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482885
Old 10-21-2018, 9:16 PM

Hey thanks a lot. I saw that but passed. He's asking the same price as new, so the time (4 hrs to drive there and back twice) and gas aren't worth it.
Old 10-22-2018, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey thanks a lot. I saw that but passed. He's asking the same price as new, so the time (4 hrs to drive there and back twice) and gas aren't worth it.
Sent you a pm. Sorry for the double post. Gl finding your pea shooter.
Old 10-22-2018, 1:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I like mine, it shoots pretty well. The only issue that I've had is the slide not locking back on an empty magazine. But I can live with that for now. Just ... don't shoot til slide lock!

I use WC 10 rounders with it, maybe that's part of the "not locking back" thing.

But not enough rounds through it. I should shoot USPSA SS with it to work it out.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 10-22-2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
Understand that anytime you hear of someone praising Springfield Armory's customer service they're subconsciously letting you know that Springfield Armory's QC makes their customer service necessary. You don't get an outstanding CS reputation without first having a crap QC reputation.

That and their insistence on using that goofy .220" radius on their BTGS. WTF, use the same radius every other company uses.

For what they charge for their guns there's no excuse for the QC issues.

True words, their custom shop is getting a lot of work these days fixing their 1911s and EMPs, lots of issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-23-2018, 1:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I hate sending a pistol in for whacked fits like MV posted. I love 1911s and my Springfield Armory 1911s in 9mm are keepers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5AE23461-5472-414E-9D95-84D98D8B8F62.jpg (19.6 KB, 117 views)
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 10-23-2018, 2:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I did the opposite, but I really believe if you are looking at spending near a grand on a Loaded 9mm 1911, or maybe $1350 on a Colt 9mm 1911... you should take a long look at the CZ Tac Sport. I like my Loaded, but I am pretty sure I'd rather have the Tactical Sports... which means I will probably have both someday.
Old 10-24-2018, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
True words, their custom shop is getting a lot of work these days fixing their 1911s and EMPs, lots of issues
That's how you get their custom shop folks to work on your gun for free. It's like buying a 1911 and getting the aftermarket work for nothing.
Old 10-24-2018, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
That's how you get their custom shop folks to work on your gun for free. It's like buying a 1911 and getting the aftermarket work for nothing.
Yeah, and that's why a $600.00 gun costs $1,000.00.
Old 10-24-2018, 9:06 AM

Quote:

Except my experiences with the custom shop was that they were not very good, 2 trips back and my gun went to a private Smith. The custom shop once was good - now not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-24-2018, 9:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm guessing in the Custom Shop, they have the guys who add value to the gun (checkering, etc, etc) and then the guys who repair things. Same shop, same tools, different guys with different jobs.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!