Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM

Lightbulb Take a Kid shooting day?

I've been to a few great calgun shoots, but what about a meet focused on teaching new young shooters without the intimidation of a public firing line? I've seen many calgunners offer to meetup with other new young shooters.
Why not get a larger group of kids together?
It would certainly be more fun shooting among other kids than next to a cranky old guy shooting a 7mm magnum.
It would be an opportunity for kids to shoot their new .22's they got for Christmas and share ammo for those who cannot get some.
Maybe we can get a private range at Burro and do a BBQ?
Old 12-07-2013, 7:06 PM

Great idea!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 AM

I'd love to take my son and contribute funds/supplies for the BBQ and range fees
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM

My 12 year old son and I wouldn't mind joining. We would not mind sharing our .22 handgun and rifle either.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Great idea!

Please let me know where and when.
Old 04-05-2014, 5:34 PM

Took my 11 year old this morning.
I have had him shooting a BB gun and break action pellet gun at my shop for a few months when he comes to work with me to know how to handle a rifle, keep his finger off the trigger, and respect for weapons in general.
Today was the first time he touched a real gun and we went to an isolated area at Steele Park and he did great!

Last edited by FCbully; 04-05-2014 at 5:57 PM..
Old 04-08-2014, 3:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did this event ever get off the ground? My kids would love it , and I've got about 5k loose rounds (ya I've been hoarding)
Old 04-13-2014, 8:33 PM

Ya'all should check out the Appleseed Project. While they don't have kid-specific days, they enjoy teaching kids as well as adults.
Old 04-16-2014, 4:30 PM

I had a get together with a couple of friends and their kids in December in Burro Canyon - ages were from 9 - 13. Seven kids on the range, a lot of .22's, reactive targets and one timed stage at the end to round things off... it was a blast (pun intended).

This being the long version of - yes - a taking your kid shooting day sounds great... as long as the youngsters are mature enough to maintain their focus on safety.
www.gebhardsolutions.com
Old 04-16-2014, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

Sound great, where & when ?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

i took my wife's little 13 year old bro shooting this saturday. Shot my SKS, first time ever. he was scared of recoil but i taught him about bone support and proper shooting position and after he shot he said " that wasnt bad at all!" he was pumped
Old 04-29-2014, 7:48 AM

I take my 13 and 8 year old regularly but would like to take them to a event with more kids. I have a few .22 rifles and pistol ,so willing to share.
Old 04-29-2014, 2:53 PM

I did an Appleseed last weekend (it was a terrific event!)

This weekend we are taking the Scouts to the range for the day.

You never know when you will make a difference in the life of a youth. Don't miss the opportunity by sitting on the couch.
Old 05-01-2014, 7:23 AM

I have a 3 and 5 year old so far i am teaching them gun safety . i figure once his 8 he will be ready on the range with 22"s at this point i am focusing gun safety and him to follow direction . have fun and be safe..
Old 05-15-2014, 8:42 PM

OK I am willing to head this project up and do it soon. (its getting HOT in the IE) I have an 8 year old that loves going shooting. I figure we could go to Steel Peak or maybe we could go to a Regular range. I am always on the hunt for 22rnds a I usually have 2000 or more rounds. BUT i would need volunteers for things like RANGE SAFETY officer, gathering and logistics for equipment, and while i do consider myself a saftey NUT I would like someone that is an expert on the subject to be an instructor for the kids (if infact that is the kind of outing we all would like to have with the kids a "gun safety outing" Hit me up if you would seriously like to do this I am up to help out any way possible.

"From the deadly sword deliver me; rescue me from the hands of foreigners whose mouths are full of lies, whose right hands are deceitful." - Psalms 144:11

"I haven't seen my morals in a LONG time! When I threw out stupid morals I felt that it allowed me to really love people and look past perceived flaws and downfalls" - FremontJames
Old 05-21-2014, 9:21 PM

Anyone????

"From the deadly sword deliver me; rescue me from the hands of foreigners whose mouths are full of lies, whose right hands are deceitful." - Psalms 144:11

"I haven't seen my morals in a LONG time! When I threw out stupid morals I felt that it allowed me to really love people and look past perceived flaws and downfalls" - FremontJames
Old 05-22-2014, 5:42 PM

I'm interested, but being a kid myself (16), I dont think anyone would want me to be RSO or anything. Count me in, and let me know if anyone has any idea where to get affordable .300AAC so I can bring my new AR.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercityshooter View Post
Anyone????
I'm am still up for this. I can contribute some funds for range and also food,snacks and drinks... Let's set up a date
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKat660 View Post
I'm am still up for this. I can contribute some funds for range and also food,snacks and drinks... Let's set up a date
OK sounds good in all my off time (which I dont have much of) I will start looking for an outdoor range that might help us out or just give a some kind of deal on an outing.

Old 05-25-2014, 3:07 AM

also give me Ideas on what kind of shooting day you all would like to have (ie. instructional day, fun shoot day, saftey day) what if any should there be an age range? I mean anyone can come out but what should we be catering this day for. Ideas people Ideas.

Old 05-25-2014, 3:25 AM

Quote:
also give me Ideas on what kind of shooting day you all would like to have (ie. instructional day, fun shoot day, saftey day) what if any should there be an age range? I mean anyone can come out but what should we be catering this day for. Ideas people Ideas.
If you can get a group together I am more than down for helping out. I usually bring my daughter out too shoot too, she is 7 and a somewhat competent shooter (she can field strip an ar rather quickly)
Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I'd like a fun shoot day.. I have some targets, clays and AR500 steel for the lil ones.

Last edited by BigKat660; 05-31-2014 at 10:47 PM..
Old 05-29-2014, 10:48 PM

Just an update guys. Sorry I have not had any time to look for a range for us to have this event at. I will be volunteering at the Shooting fair this Sunday in Corona so I will be asking them about having our event at their Range in the near future. Next week I should have some time off so I will be able to inquire with some other ranges. So far I only have the following people wanting to go:

Me +2
Montana +1
BigKat660

If you would like to go please either post you want to go or PM me (and also how many people you plan to bring) and I will add you to the list. It is looking like we will holding this event sometime in June/July. One last note EVERYONE please say how far you will be willing to drive to attend this event. Thanks

Old 05-29-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Just an update guys. Sorry I have not had any time to look for a range for us to have this event at. I will be volunteering at the Shooting fair this Sunday in Corona so I will be asking them about having our event at their Range in the near future. Next week I should have some time off so I will be able to inquire with some other ranges. So far I only have the following people wanting to go:

Me +2
Montana +1
BigKat660 +1 maybe 2

If you would like to go please either post you want to go or PM me (and also how many people you plan to bring) and I will add you to the list. It is looking like we will holding this event sometime in June/July. One last note EVERYONE please say how far you will be willing to drive to attend this event. Thanks
Taking my 13 Year Old also
Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm in , plus my
11 yo daughter
15 yo son
24 yo son
FYI Perris outdoor range is about to open .
Old 05-30-2014, 8:25 AM

Quote:

Me +2
Montana +1
BigKat660

Im in SD, willing to drive 1-1.5 hours so anywhere in the IE really would probably be the most central area.
Old 05-30-2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana View Post
Im in SD, willing to drive 1-1.5 hours so anywhere in the IE really would probably be the most central area.
Sounds good thanks

Old 05-30-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjack68 View Post
I'm in , plus my
11 yo daughter
15 yo son
24 yo son
FYI Perris outdoor range is about to open .
Me +2
Montana +1
BigKat660
1badjack68 +3

Thanks for reminding me about the Perris range I forgot about them opening soon. I will try to call them on Monday or Tuesday.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Any word?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 AM

Nothing that I am aware of ...
Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 PM

Sorry guys I have been running into red tape after red tape on this. Seems like no out door ranges want to host this event unless one or more of us is a FULL member. Which is understandable. I am open to suggestions of places to go.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoduel View Post
It would certainly be more fun shooting among other kids than next to a cranky old guy shooting a 7mm magnum.
I wonder if this is what kids think of me at the range, but 7mms are on the wimpy side as far as I am concerned. I am not old, and I am not cranky

Well, maybe cranky to the kids that love Obama.
Old 06-19-2014, 1:40 PM

i would love to lend a bunch of targets for the kids to shoot when you get a date and place hit me up i will have a couple dueling trees and a bunch of reactive stuff also willing to donate for snacks and drinks you amy ask Greg at lytle creek firing line he runs the place tell him andrew from ar500 sent you 951-782-7438 he may be willing

check out our starter kit HERE and start shooting steel
located at 1785 w arrow route upland cal 91786
Old 06-22-2014, 8:07 PM

OH YEAH!!!!!!
GIT SOME!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1092.jpg (98.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1100.jpg (99.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:50 AM

Did this event happen? I just came across this thread and would be interested in helping out any way I can.
Old 08-18-2014, 7:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No not yet, location seems to be the hold up
Old 08-18-2014, 9:08 PM

I'm still ready and offer stands for snacks and drinks.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
I can RSO. And will bring the kid..
You got me there. What's RSO ? LoL
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 PM
CGSSA Leader

Range Safety Officer

Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purer00r View Post
Range Safety Officer