Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-12-2011, 4:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

I mentioned this in another thread, but keep in mind that the incorporation process in CA is a several weeks to several months waiting game (my LLC took about 3 months). look into Legalzoom to compare the costs and services, compared to what an attorney will do.

www.rogtac.com

*Calguns 5% discount code: CG5
Old 12-14-2011, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Default 12/14/2011

Dear Calgunners,

So I met with an attorney today in regards to incorporating, and will be enlisting his services. After comparing what he can do vs. Legalzoom and others, betting your life and business on a lawyer is better than leaving it up to you and a website. The costs are roughly double for what you'd pay for with the complete package on a website. However, I will be able to get it done a bit faster, and there's always a real person I can get in contact with in a business SHTF. Not to mention I now know what is best instead of just what I want to do. What I wanted to do is an LLC, but what I was recommended to do was an S-Corp. Also, the corporation will be tailored specifically to my business instead of putting my idea into a cookie cutter mold and hoping it all bakes out well. Turns out I'm doing it at the perfect time as well with 12/16 being the start of a new fiscal year. My lawyer has a firm they partner with in Sactown so they will be personally filing my papers directly at the State office, which will save a great amount of time and allow me to put everything in the corporations name from the get-go leaving me fully protected.

In other news I have emailed the CLEO's secretary in regards to getting permission to be a Second Hand dealer. I also threw out seeing if he'll endorse high-cap and dangerous weapon permits. We'll see where that goes. I have a law enforcement background so I think I stand a better chance than most. We'll see. Doesn't sound like these are easy to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.

Last edited by TheExpertish; 12-14-2011 at 1:30 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 7:47 PM

Keep up the great work.

I am retiring from the Mil soon and plan on getting my 07/02 and set up a shop(Not in Kalifornistan).

You trials and tribulations are teaching me what to do. Thanks and keep up the battle!!!

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 12-21-2011, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

Default 12/21/2011

Dear Calgunners,

So I got Livescanned and put the COE application in the mail. Also heard back from the CLEO's secretary, and she said she forwarded my info to him and the Investigations Capt to see what's next. Not much else to report, and from here it's about 2-3 weeks of waiting or so for the COE, and Incorporation to be completed. I need my Fed tax ID to start the lease, and get the all important business license.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2011, 6:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadsdenarmory View Post
I also threw out seeing if he'll endorse high-cap and dangerous weapon permits.
Unless you have a local ordinance that says otherwise, you don't need anyone's permission for a large capacity magazine permit. You just ask for one in writing when you send in your LCM application. Something along the lines of, "I need a LCM Permit so I can sell to my local law enforcement."
Old 12-22-2011, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Unless you have a local ordinance that says otherwise, you don't need anyone's permission for a large capacity magazine permit. You just ask for one in writing when you send in your LCM application. Something along the lines of, "I need a LCM Permit so I can sell to my local law enforcement."
Okay, good to know. You only need the endorsement for the dangerous weapons permit?

Quote:
Old 12-22-2011, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Also, with the standard capacity permit (aka high cap), buying firearms to sell to those out of state is also a reason. You can't compete if you can't sell what they want and you are a FEDERAL Firearms Licensee. Sometimes you have to order a firearm and swap out the magazines and sometimes you get firearms with those magazines when it is supposed to come with 10 round magazines.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadsdenarmory View Post
Okay, good to know. You only need the endorsement for the dangerous weapons permit?
I believe those are so cost prohibitive, I wouldn't worry about that anytime soon.
Old 01-04-2012, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

Default 01/04/2012

Happy New Year Calgunners,

So, not a whole lot to update with because of the holiday's. However, I did speak with the Capt. of Investigations yesterday. He's one of the few guys who's been around long enough to remember the last brick-and-mortar gun store in this city. He was extremely helpful and offered some additional resources. Best part of the conversation was when he asked what resources I was currently using and I told him "Calguns". His reply was, "Yes, Calguns is a great source". Pretty neat to hear from a top level LEO. Enjoy the compliment and I will add more updates as they come.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2012, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Default 02/09/2012

Dear Calgunners,

Well there has been marginal progress since my last update. Still no COE and I think I'm on week 6. Apparently 8 weeks is the norm as of now. My corporation filing should be done within the next week so that's a huge plus. I drug my feet a bit on that due to funds, but the tax return is coming soon and I'll have what I need to get everything else I need. More hurry up and wait though. Seems the lead times on all government permits of any kind are taking longer this year. Just looking forward to setting up accounts and getting things on order.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2012, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertish View Post
Dear Calgunners,

Well there has been marginal progress since my last update. Still no COE and I think I'm on week 6. Apparently 8 weeks is the norm as of now. My corporation filing should be done within the next week so that's a huge plus. I drug my feet a bit on that due to funds, but the tax return is coming soon and I'll have what I need to get everything else I need. More hurry up and wait though. Seems the lead times on all government permits of any kind are taking longer this year. Just looking forward to setting up accounts and getting things on order.
Keep up the good work brother. You will get there, slowly but surely. I am still jealous you are taking these steps and can't wait to follow in your footsteps.

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 02-11-2012, 8:20 AM
Banned

It's 120 days processing time and the lady is just processing November 2011 so it's going to be a wait. I sent out my COE app first and then got my city permit, sellers permit, DBA, and lastly just sent out my FFL app and hopefully COE and FFL come in about the same time and ready to go...
Old 02-21-2012, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe67 View Post
It's 120 days processing time and the lady is just processing November 2011 so it's going to be a wait. I sent out my COE app first and then got my city permit, sellers permit, DBA, and lastly just sent out my FFL app and hopefully COE and FFL come in about the same time and ready to go...
What city are you doing your ffl?
Old 03-07-2012, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Default 03/07/2012

Hey Calgunners,

So I finally got my COE today....finally. I let out a big "whoohoo" and "yessss" in the post office when I saw the envelope. Says it was issued 02/25, and was mailed on the 28th, so pretty much 90 days. However, still have not gotten word on my incorporation which is frustrating. As you can see the updates will be slow in coming at this point, but I hope to keep making steady progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasehiso View Post
What city are you doing your ffl?
I've been telling people here and there, so I may as well announce it now. My shop will be located in my home town of Carlsbad, CA. It's actually going to be only 2 blocks from the police station.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2012, 7:14 PM

I am sure u will get it bro. Keep it up!!!

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 03-09-2012, 9:01 AM

I would strongly suggest you send in your CFD application NOW.
If you have your COE, FFL, Sellers Permit and City Business license, then send the application to get on the centralized list ASAP. It is a least a month on that one too.
Old 03-11-2012, 1:40 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertish View Post
. However, still have not gotten word on my incorporation which is frustrating.
The incorporation wait time is probably the longest of all the wait times you have to deal with. Even with expedited service, you still have to wait for them to get to your application. It is painfully slow and pretty much holds you up to getting the business rolling. Use this time to start building a website, even if you aren't going to do e-commerce. Start lining up distributors, manufacturers, supplies (shipping, operational), software (business, tax). Talk TB Designs and get some cards and/or logo designed....don't get them made yet, in case you want to add your FFL#.

www.rogtac.com

Old 03-21-2012, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

Default 03/21/2012

FINALLY! Just got word from my lawyer today...

Quote:
Hi Jason,

We finally received the articles of incorporation back from Sacramento today. We will order a minute book and obtain an FEIN. We should be ready to finish organizing the corporation by early next week.

I wish this hadn't taken so long. I was surprised by the delay.

Best regards,

Eric
Finally, the next step of this process can be started.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2012, 9:06 AM

Gadsden, the wait is not long, keep up your morale. I've waited for half a year to get to the point I'm at now, and I'm not even finished!

Considering the fact that I had my LLC running for 3 years before I applied for FFL, which is the lucky part so I could skip the incorporating part. I'm in LA County, and my process went from ATF to currently getting licensed(business license) took 6.5 months back in early Sept. It'd take another 2 months, conservatively projected, to finish the entire process. That's how bad they are right now on short staffed. I call it no staff!

1. ATF took 2 months from submission to receiving license
2. Zoning took 3 months on researching ATF & CalDOJ requirements
3. LA County Licensing takes 6 to 8 weeks to verify and deliver a license after inspection
4. CalDOJ takes another 4 to 6 weeks to place me on the list and provide the 5 digit number

I think we should start a support group for all applicants in my kinda deep water doing 'woosaa woosaa' to help relieve the stress and frustration during the process.
Old 03-22-2012, 9:08 AM

I don't know about up North, but down here, it gets extremely frustrating. So somewhat be prepared.
Old 03-22-2012, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazn123 View Post
I don't know about up North, but down here, it gets extremely frustrating. So somewhat be prepared.
Yeah, I was expecting to be doors open as at least an accessory and ammo dealer last month. I'm not stopping now. Just wondering whether to apply for my 01, or 07. I'm leaning more towards the 07.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2012, 8:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Not sure if you have done this already, but while you wait on things, go ahead and buy a domain name and start working on a website, even if you don't plan on selling online. Get a working web page and start working on getting links to it. Down the road, when and if you decide to sell online, you will get better search results.

Btw, anyone know a good ecommerece-minded web designer? Time to let a professional give my site a make-over.

www.rogtac.com

Old 03-31-2012, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogtac View Post
Not sure if you have done this already, but while you wait on things, go ahead and buy a domain name and start working on a website, even if you don't plan on selling online. Get a working web page and start working on getting links to it. Down the road, when and if you decide to sell online, you will get better search results.

Btw, anyone know a good ecommerece-minded web designer? Time to let a professional give my site a make-over.
Do you need a designer or developer? Designer I have which I can refer, developers I have but keepin for myself...
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Default 04/15/2012

Hey Calgunners,

So some real progress. After much delay due to moving and a wonderful case of the flu that just won't quit, the wife and I signed our S-Corp papers and made the company official. Now the rest of this daunting process and truly begin and get this snowball rolling downhill. For those of you going through this process yourselves, I am adding to the timeline a bit unnecessarily since I am funding it out of my meager pockets when and where I can.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2012, 4:05 PM

Great Work!!!!!

DarkSkySolutions.com

Last edited by Dark Sky Solutions; 07-25-2013 at 3:51 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Default 04/23/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCrazyJ View Post
Yeah!!!!

A shop with customer service!!!!!
Everyone, meet my business partner, haha.

Yes, like any goal that involves commitment and perseverance, don't go it alone. It's like exercise, you need someone to help hold you accountable, and to encourage each other when the enthusiasm wains.

To add we have our CA Seller's Permit, and have been able to start setting up wholesale accounts. Lease is going to be signed shortly, and today I applied for the city business license. Of course the lady I talked to on the phone was not the one I spoke to or emailed before, so she was a bit unsure of it all, but said she'd find out. I'm not too worried.

Tomorrow it's off to the bank to set up the account, and send out the FFL application.

Quote:
Old 04-24-2012, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Default 04/24/2012

Hey Calgunners,

So I went to the bank to set up the account, and also purchased my domains. Giving more of a priority to the webstore instead of making it very secondary as I initially planned. Set up accounts with a couple more distributors. A fax machine or the ability to scan signed documents is a MUST. A few old timers want you to snail mail the actual applications and copies, but that's just how it goes. Also spent about 30 minutes last night in the jacuzzi mapping out marketing ideas. You need to write these things down. For starters it helps you remember everything because you're mind is going a million miles a minute, and in 10 different directions. It helps you organize thoughts, and sometimes what sounds like a good idea is less than that when it's looking back at you on a Steno pad.

Quote:

Last edited by TheExpertish; 05-08-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Expertish, just made my way through your journey! It's exciting! Keep it up and thanks for sharing your experience. I'll now be in part living vicariously through you for my FFL persona!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Default 05/082012

Hey Calgunners,

So more progress. The lease application has been submitted so fingers crossed there. We held off a bit just making sure it's what we wanted, and glad we did because we decided to go a bit smaller for starters. The landlord is very flexible and we have the option to move up to the original one we wanted in short order when we're ready. More distributors to set up with. Really wish I had come up with a game plan and even started sooner with who I wanted to set up accounts with. Knowing the products you want to carry and their profit margins are essential for your business and marketing plan. Speaking of marketing, also coming up with some great and unique ideas to make us stand out. Very excited!

Quote:
Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Congrats on all your work and you'll be in our prayers! it's really been a treat to read what you've done so far right on man!
Old 05-08-2012, 3:29 PM

Keep us posted

DarkSkySolutions.com

Last edited by Dark Sky Solutions; 07-25-2013 at 3:51 PM..
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 PM

This is a really fascinating thread. Thank you for doing this!
Old 05-09-2012, 8:09 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say hi with our "Customer Service" user id. Just payed for the Retailer/Vendor Status and will be posting Calgun's only specials under this id. We might spring for our own forum eventually.

As you can see the links only lead to godaddy for now, but working on the websites shortly. Just been 7 years since I built a website so I'm feeling a bit challenged.
Old 05-10-2012, 2:37 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIguns View Post
As you can see the links only lead to godaddy for now, but working on the websites shortly. Just been 7 years since I built a website so I'm feeling a bit challenged.
GoDaddys WebSite in a night is a good place to start while putting your site together. Good Luck! Watching and dreaming from the shadows.

“The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.”
― Patrick Henry

Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Default 05/27/2012

Happy almost Memorial Day calgunners,

So, the lease is ready to sign, and opening 2-3 new wholesale accounts a day. The big focus is still on our eCommerce site. Being I'm doing this myself I needed a out-of-the-box template solution for the store. After much debate and research we ended up going with Magento Go. This is exactly what I wanted from Shopify, but it will work with Payment Alliance International who is an NRA endorsed merchant services provider. The can work for the site and our POS system when we get it. Even better, when we expand to our next phase it all integrates with Lightspeed. We ended up choosing Google Apps for our email hosting, and will probably get our SSL from godaddy since that is where we purchased the domains. Only issue is that Magento charges $99 to install a 3rd party SSL. I've heard there are limitations to Magento Go, but we'll see how it goes. Next on the list is the FFL process.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2012, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

It's coming along!! Sweet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2012, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Default 06/06/2012

Hey Calgunners,

So rethinking the eCommerce side. Magento Go is over my head, and we'd be limited by my ability to add products at my limited IT knowledge pace. As it turns out several distributors now offer turn-key solutions direct from their catalog to your site. Only issue is the monthly and setup fees are a bit hard to swallow if just starting out on your dime. However, you can basically pay to have access and sell an entire distributors catalog which can be close to 250k products in some cases, and still have room to add your own.

Also, I'm taking my first NRA Instructor certification course this weekend (pistols) so I can offer beginner classes and be HSC certified. It's an extra tool to help better the business.

Quote:
Old 06-06-2012, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Smart idea on the NRA certification!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk🔫
Old 09-12-2012, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Default 09/12/2012

Okay, as a long overdue update here's where things stand; Things are literally at a dead standstill. I have not signed the lease and subsequently have not applied for my FFL. This is due to errors on my part and a lack of longer term planning instead of just trying to bulldoze my way through the process. Biggest issue is still money. Here's my tips to avoid getting stuck.

1. Do Your Homework First - If you're read this far and followed the proper steps this should be a no brainer.

2. Have Cash - Granted it won't take alot to get things afloat, but it sure helps to have it in advance, or enough of a revenue stream from a current job or otherwise to support the operation til it can support itself. In other words, don't quit your day job. It is possible to start small or even from home in some counties.

3. Get A Website - It's the 21st century. If you're not prepared to go eCommerce then at least have a page dedicated to showing people where you are and what you offer. If you're not tech savy add it to the tally of expenses you need to be able to cover. It's not cheap either.

4. Use Credit Wisely - As a new company you will find distributors willing to give small lines of credit to newbs. It's just like personal debt and has to be used in line with a marking and/or business plan. Err on the conservative side.

5. Group Buys - As a new retailer it can be tempting to use Calguns to meet some of those lofty distributor buy-ins with a group buy. To some they can be advantageous if you're experienced with the dynamics of a GB. To others they can be a bane from hell. As a retailer, my suggestion would be to let an experienced member be middle man and run it for you. If you want good examples of GB's run right look no further than AIMSMALL. If you want to see one go badly, well...I'm sure you know where to look.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 AM

Great thread Expertish!

I have set up 5 companies. The first on was set up by a lawyer before I was on board. The other companies were incorporated using www.incorporate.com. They were cheaper and easier than Legalzoom. They even have an option to expedite the filing with the state.

LLC vs. S-Corp vs. C-Corp: I asked everyone I knew in business to explain the difference between LLC and Inc. The only answer I got was "LLC has 40 years of case law; Inc. has 180 years of case law." I finally found an answer in an old text book on corporations. Inc. require buy-in money and profits payouts (K1's) to be based on the number of shares owned. With an LLC you can buy-in or payout based on any agreement made between the members. Also an LLC has less internal paperwork. However, the state charges an additional $700 tax to LLC's.

Other advice. When renting, don't personally guarantee the lease. Places are hurting to get space filled. There is no need to take on any additional personal liability. Business credit cards are personally guaranteed. So keep that in mind if things go bad. I would also suggest you put all your private property in a family trust as well as buy an umbrella insurance policy.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by Curtis; 09-13-2012 at 12:09 AM..