Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-27-2013, 3:18 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Default Lenovo laptops?

I'm looking for a new laptop and the Lenovo models with 650M or 660M video cards are about what I'm after, any experience with them? The other laptops I am looking at are Asus, trying to spend around 800.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
I'm looking for a new laptop and the Lenovo models with 650M or 660M video cards are about what I'm after, any experience with them? The other laptops I am looking at are Asus, trying to spend around 800.
Be careful with some of those laptops out there.

With this whole CLOUD crap rolling in it seems that some folks think that WE (end users) would RATHER have a thinner laptop and so we would buy our software all online and have it installed over the internet as well...

I was given a Lenovo today and it was VERY thin, so thin in fact that it had a 500 GB HD but no optical drive in it. Now I have to hook up a dvd via USB or pendrive in order to install office for someone. MINOR inconvenience but I really prefer a notebook with ALL I need contained. This is my first Lenovo that I have seen. I can't imagine all of them being like this but I am not your average guy and I have tools that others do not and the office girl that gave this to me would have no idea on how to make an internal dvd burner into an external drive via usb kit to install her software without buying it ALL AGAIN online...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 04-30-2013 at 5:31 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 AM

I am using a Lenovo laptop right now. I'm pretty impressed. I bought this laptop (Y570) with an i7-2620QM and GT555M for only $699 about a year ago. The lenovo laptops seem to be built pretty sturdy, have few bloatwares, and are priced very competitively.

In your case, $800 range, the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 seems to fit the bill pretty well.
Old 04-28-2013, 6:35 AM

Also have 2 Lenovo laptops and they are both pretty rock solid
Old 04-28-2013, 7:18 AM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Thanks that Y500 model is exactly what I am after.
Old 04-28-2013, 7:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My backup laptop is an old Lenovo, from 2008. No issues yet and still running well.
Old 04-28-2013, 7:38 AM

I have one from 2009 and it's working fine. I travel by car and plane a lot so it does get banged around in the bag a bit. I am more partial to my Mac though.
You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you're going to do are, 1) Call someone with a gun, 2) Pray they get there in time.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM

Tested a number of laptops for a large client. Lenovo came out on top, ahead of Dell, HP, and others. Not by much, but we looked at long term support, memory, boot times, etc. Support was the deciding factor.
Old 04-30-2013, 4:20 PM

Pair of Lenovo factory refurbed Think Pads here, bought them for their skeletons. Pretty stout.

I echo stilly's comments, the "cloud" mentality is dumbing people down faster than you can imagine.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 04-30-2013, 4:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
Pair of Lenovo factory refurbed Think Pads here, bought them for their skeletons. Pretty stout.

I echo stilly's comments, the "cloud" mentality is dumbing people down faster than you can imagine.
Not only dumbing people down, but adding the risk of your data being hacked, and/or used as marketing fodder.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I have always had IBM and now Lenovo laptops. They are some of the best out there - specially for the money. I have yet to destroy one.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 05-02-2013, 4:10 AM
Calguns Addict

I have an IBM Thinkpad that I'm using now, and it has been very reliable. It has lived this long when my other Toshiba and MSi laptops have both died. If my Thinkpad dies tomorrow, after 7 years of use, then I've got my money's worth and I would buy a Lenovo to replace it. My Toshiba lasted only 3 years before it died and the MSi was used by my daughter and lasted only 2 years before it developed problems.
Old 05-02-2013, 4:17 AM

I did support for a company that had about 900 Lenovos. They make decent laptops, but most brand name manufacturers have comparable products for similar price points. The sales margins are very slim on mid-priced systems, so you have tons of options. These things were better quality when they were under the IBM name. Lenovo is a value brand.

Lenovo features
- Heavy duty hinges, but weak bezel. No more broken hinges, but if someone can't figure out where the release button is to open the laptop, they'll crack the bezel by trying to pry the laptop open.
- Several other manufacturers offer thinner, more stylish laptops at the same pricepoints. Lenovo's aren't very stylish at all. They're blocky and whether its new or 7 yrs old, the styling is the same...boring.
- Rubberized casing. Makes it easy to hold onto when carrying it like a notebook. However, the rubber gets scratched easily and can quickly make the laptop look old and beat up.
- Magnesium frame. Frame is supposed to be stronger than a normal laptop...but how often does someone actually bend a frame or crack a motherboard? Drops usually result in a broken hinge, cracked screen, or broken case. Those all still happen with a magnesium frame, and not noticeably less.
- Phone support is comparable. All the big names have similar call centers, regardless of whether in the US or India, etc. That can always change quickly.
- Onsite support is usually comparable also. Unless you're close to an official service center, warranty work will usually be performed by a 3rd party contractor that is "Lenovo" certified, so that service is luck of the draw as the same guy can be certified to work on other brands too.

I'd recommend buying a 11"-13" ultrabook because they're so portable you'll want to carry it around more often. It's like a gun....a .22 on you is better than a .45 at home. If you get something with an SSD, you can easily get away with going with a slower cpu
Old 05-02-2013, 4:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post

With this whole CLOUD crap rolling in it seems that some folks think that WE (end users) would RATHER have a thinner laptop and so we would buy our software all online and have it installed over the internet as well...

I was given a Lenovo today and it was VERY thin, so thin in fact that it had a 500 GB HD but no optical drive in it. Now I have to hook up a dvd via USB or pendrive in order to install office for someone. MINOR inconvenience but I really prefer a notebook with ALL I need contained. This is my first Lenovo that I have seen. I can't imagine all of them being like this but I am not your average guy and I have tools that others do not and the office girl that gave this to me would have no idea on how to make an internal dvd burner into an external drive via usb kit to install her software without buying it ALL AGAIN online...
Thinkpad laptop build quality and support are top-notch in comparison to a lot that's out there (IMO). Lenovo support went above and beyond once and made me a customer for life. I've used three X-series (no optical drive) over the past few years - I've needed an external DVD drive exactly 0 times. I have broken plenty of laptops but my Thinkpads keep on chugging. Note I hear mixed things on the cheaper Ideapad line.
Old 05-02-2013, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post

LOL this is going to blow your mind my friend, but most laptops made in the last 4-5 years do not come with a cdrom drive. cd/dvd's have been on their way out for a while now. By today's standards, they're slow and low on storage space. You could buy a usb thumb drive that is big enough to store all of your various software cd's, and they will also install much faster. You only have to store that single tiny device, and since installs are usually a 1 time thing, why carry the extra weight of a cd/dvd drive?

If you really need an optical drive, you can get a slim external drive that easily stores in your laptop bag. When you need it, you just plug the drive into a usb port. They're about $25.

Last edited by NoSpam; 05-02-2013 at 4:31 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We buy hundreds of Lenovo notebooks for our users. They are find basic notebooks. Nothing fancy. They are durable for what you pay for them which is why we buy them (think on the go sales people dropping them, leaving them in the trunk of the car, throwing them around, etc). Their crappy Access software sucks *** so be prepared to remove it. It conflicts with everything Windows 7 tries to do... nightmare software.

For my personal notebooks I get Acer or Asus (my current main notebook is an Acer G series) but their warranties aren't fun to deal with should you ever need it.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM
In Memoriam

Cheap and good.

optical drive? There are work arounds.
Old 05-02-2013, 1:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
You will enjoy this then:

Old 05-02-2013, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

the company I work for gives us laptops and I have been using the T series for the last 14 years, on Monday I get an upgrade from my T400 to a T430. the only one we ever had problems with was the T30's there was a problem with one of the memory slots at a flex point and it would always take out that slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 05-02-2013, 4:04 PM

I've had Lenovo notebooks for work and find them a mixed bag. I had 2 in the last year that had the motherboard go bust, yet I've had the same cheapo Dell go strong for years as my home computer.

Everyone has a different experience but I thought I'd throw mine out there.
Old 05-02-2013, 4:32 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

No experience with those models, but the brand is highly dependable. My work laptop is currently an old T60 running Ubuntu. I could walk into IT at any time and have them swap it out from something from this decade, but the thing is too rock solid.
Old 05-03-2013, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
I've had the same cheapo Dell go strong for years as my home computer.
Dell is many things, but cheap is not one of them.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'm using a loaner "G" series 560. Pretty basic but has been doing well for me for a few months now. Their "smile dock" is pretty annoying as I can't un-install this since this is not mine. I can't seem to hold onto enough money to buy the Lenovo that has a Nvidia video card for games:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834312431
R.I.P. Thomas C.