Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 4:52 PM

Default WHY Turner's???

So San Diegans, why does everyone want to meet at Turner's in Kearny Mesa? I know SoCal Gun just closed and some the guys at the American Shooting Center basically tell you to get lost if you want to do a PPT, but Turner's is SOOO SLOOOW! I just completed my fastest ever PPT at Turners: one hour, twenty minutes total (both trips); the longest one was over three hours!

I always try to use the Glock Store on Murphy Canyon Road; not many people know about it, but they're fast, give great service even though I don't own a Glock!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM
CGSSA Associate

I haven't had a problem with them. As long as we are dropping names, I also like Iron Sights.
Old 11-22-2012, 7:23 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I generally like Turners, and spend $$ there frequently. However, PPT's are always unbearable. The constant blame by the store staff on their "really slow computers" is very tiresome. It seems odd that you can go in and buy stuff quickly, but PPT's are handled at the speed of molasses.
Old 11-23-2012, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

First - LOTS of FFLs in San Diego! Don't go to the big, well-known places, because:

Second - PPTs are a huge PITA and expense for FFLs. Pay attention to all the silly paperwork and requirements and the time and effort it all takes and the possible cost of making a small mistake. Then look at the $10 that is all they can charge for it.

Call around. Ask when would be a good time to do a PPT. Buy something else while you're there. Check out Gussler in Santee... he's a "kitchen table" FFL, and all he does is transfers. Pay him the $10 (+$25 DROS) that's all he's allowed to charge, and then drop a few more bucks in his tip jar.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 11-23-2012, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
First - LOTS of FFLs in San Diego! Don't go to the big, well-known places, because:

Second - PPTs are a huge PITA and expense for FFLs. Pay attention to all the silly paperwork and requirements and the time and effort it all takes and the possible cost of making a small mistake. Then look at the $10 that is all they can charge for it.

Call around. Ask when would be a good time to do a PPT. Buy something else while you're there. Check out Gussler in Santee... he's a "kitchen table" FFL, and all he does is transfers. Pay him the $10 (+$25 DROS) that's all he's allowed to charge, and then drop a few more bucks in his tip jar.
Gusslers is $40 for the transfer + the $25 DROS. Still the cheapest in town unless you know of someone else.
Old 11-23-2012, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
Gusslers is $40 for the transfer + the $25 DROS. Still the cheapest in town unless you know of someone else.
Mechanic,

Are you talking about a PPT, or having him receive a gun through the mail? The legislated max fee for a PPT is $35 total ($10 to the FFL and $25 to the gov). That doesn't mean I haven't had to stop cashiers from trying to charge customers more from time to time.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 PM
CGSSA Associate

I've done ppt at Iron Sights and Turners KM. Took all of 15 minutes. I do support the other lgs as well; however, when you start adding in drive time and gas money spent, maybe working with whoever's local to you isn't such a bad thing.
Dealing with people who flake on appts or don't bring enough documentation to do a ppt is another thing....
Old 11-25-2012, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdurso View Post
Mechanic,

Are you talking about a PPT, or having him receive a gun through the mail? The legislated max fee for a PPT is $35 total ($10 to the FFL and $25 to the gov). That doesn't mean I haven't had to stop cashiers from trying to charge customers more from time to time.
Basically I have found a guy who has a LOT of MaTens. Just the one I want and the price is a bunch below retail (did I say it was in stock)
Anyways I have been looking to get it transfered. He is an FFL in Michigan. So from the list I found of FFL's I have found in the San Diego area they all range from $40 to $150 JUST FOR THE TRANSFER not including DROS fee.
http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html
Another list. It has gone all over the place. I transfered a pistol about 3 years ago at California Police equipment for 10 bucks!!! I called them last week and they said out of state would be $75!!! Wow have they changed. I will do whatever I need to do but obviously I would like to find someone local, inexpensive, easy to deal with, someone I don't mind doing more business with. I know people need to make money to stay in business so I never look for freebies. I am not one of those.
Old 11-25-2012, 3:16 PM

Talk with Gussler - he can receive through the mail shipments as well as PPT-DROS stuff.
Old 12-05-2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Basically I have found a guy who has a LOT of MaTens
I have no idea what this is? a pistol? If it is a pistol and it is not on the CA DOJ roster of handguns approved for sale in CA (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/) it can only be brought into the state via single shot exemption (for semi-autos) or single action exemption (for revolvers) and that is likely to cost significantly more.

Quote:
He is an FFL in Michigan... ...they all range from $40 to $150 JUST FOR THE TRANSFER not including DROS fee.
That's what happens when the state mandates they do PPTs for $10, they have to make it up somewhere else. Every government inference in the free market sends out shock waves of unintended consequences.
Old 12-08-2012, 9:48 PM

the only Turner's employee ive found that great with PPT's is Andy at the KM store.
"The gun has played a critical role in history...an invention that has been both praised and denounced...served hero and villain alike...and carries with it moral responsibility. To better understand the gun is to better understand history."
Old 12-28-2012, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham View Post
the only Turner's employee ive found that great with PPT's is Andy at the KM store.
Agreed. He is a good dude.
Old 12-28-2012, 5:12 PM

Also remember that you will need to pay tax on an out of state firearm as you make the transfer. And virtually all of the LGS charge you $10 for the needless lock that everyone has ten or more of....
Old 12-28-2012, 8:34 PM

Wiser Owl Tactical on Miramar Rd is the only place to do a PPT in San Diego. 20 minutes and $35 which includes DROS. The staff is friendly as well. Check them out, they deserve our support especially with prices like that.
Old 12-29-2012, 5:03 AM

Egon, I've lived in San Diego my whole life and had no idea! A gun store on Miramar Road?!? I've got to check it out.
Old 12-29-2012, 7:53 AM

FWIW Poway Weapons & Gear is a great shop and SUPER PPT friendly!
http://www.weaponsandgear.com/
Old 12-29-2012, 9:17 PM

jjdurso, they only set up shop a few months ago and advertise in the commercial sales marketplace. The $35 fee is for PPT or Out of State transfers and that includes the DROS which is unfriggin believable. I PPT'ed a Glock 26 there from another member here on Calguns about a month ago and it went as easy as could be. I also bought a S&W M&P .22 that cost me less than $400 out the door (tax and DROS included) as a special order though them. I later purchased an AR-15 lower and the rest of the parts to put it together. Their Gunsmith is also really nice and does great work but he has to learn he needs to charge money for all of the work he does. They don't have a lot in their showroom yet but if your looking for something ask them and they can probably get it at competitive prices.

P.S. I have also spoken to them about doing SSE transfers and they are very interested in getting started doing that as well. Going to see if it might be possible to get a CZ-P07!
Old 12-30-2012, 6:12 AM

This is all music to my ears Egon; I'm currently doing an SSE at Direct Action Solutions in Solana Beach, but Miramar would be much more convenient.

I'm not sure about your P07, but I have a 9" barrel and magwell block for the Shadow, SP01, Czeckmate, Jericho 941 (Baby/Uzi Eagle), Bul Storm and the Tanfoglio Witness series. I'm willing to rent for SSEs (to help defray the costs of making it).

Edit: I just saw a picture of a P07 barrel and the barrel I have will most likely not work, it looks more like a Glock .40 barrel than a CZ75 barrel.

Last edited by jjdurso; 12-30-2012 at 7:31 AM..