Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:59 AM

Default FYI alternative fuel source (sort of)

I have an account with a commercial fueling company. (AKA "cardlock").
A cardlock is basically an unmanned fueling station typically for fleet fuel management, commercial use. Anyway, back in 2015 there was a big fire in my county and several small towns had to evacuate, of course, everyone needed fuel at the same time and there were lines at the 2 gas stations that had backup power. They promptly ran out of fuel. Mass pandemonium, people really did start to panic, there was some extremely reckless driving and various squabbles on the 2 lane highway outta the mountains.

Anyway, I remember that day and there was NO LINE and no one else getting fuel at the cardlock, I was able to purchase diesel with no issues. All this rumour about the whole country running outta diesel fuel got me to go stock up (I know...) So, yesterday I was able to purchase 200 gallons of red (offroad) diesel with no issues ( no rationing, no dramatic price increases yet). You have to open a credit account with them and you are invoiced monthly. But anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there for the forward thinking among you.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:56 AM

Its probably pretty good advise except I don't know the cost. I don't know their business model but am not one to likely seek them out these days. Still if you depended on a fuel source and this was an option why not?
Old 11-01-2022, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Buy drums of diesel and stabilize it if you want to have emergency reserve.
No chance of a power outage and you can't pay for or pump fuels.

Xfer pump will help with fueling up.

Sta-Bil makes some good stuff for gas/diesel storage. We keep fuels at the ranch.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-01-2022, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve almost opened account several times,
Too bad you can store diese long term in those blue barrels as I can get
Pretty easily sometimes

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759

Brand NEW Apple MacBooks and Mini for sale
Old 11-02-2022, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
I’ve almost opened account several times,
Too bad you can store diese long term in those blue barrels as I can get
Pretty easily sometimes
I use reconditioned 55 gallon steel barrels that formerly held elevator hydraulic fluid, Otis/thyssen krupp etc etc just leaves them on various jobsites around the state. I take them home 2 at a time in my prius believe it or not! They work fine for fuel storage. I have a dual filtration system on a hand crank pump for dispensing. Not sure why you couldnt store fuel in the plastic drums, are they not strong enough?
I havent bothered to put fuel stabilizer in them, or biocides. I keep them full so theres minimal to zero chance for water condensation which is the main ingredient for contamination.
Old 11-03-2022, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

With the increased amount of "biodiesel" being mixed in biocides are needed.

Always have 3 55 gallon metal barrels full on hand.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

I just keep a well vented shed (with vents high and low on all 4 walls and roof), with some shelves holding multiple 5 gallon metal fuel cans. I use diesel and gas stabilizers and rotate every 6 months. Works just fine and the 5 gallon cans are just easier to handle with the small self siphoning hose I use.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-07-2022, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
With the increased amount of "biodiesel" being mixed in biocides are needed.

Always have 3 55 gallon metal barrels full on hand.
I buy strictly red diesel, my theory is that because it's "offroad" (untaxed) there is zero biodiesel in it(there is no indication on the pump warning about biodiesel content) and I think zero California winter additives....