Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-22-2013, 4:24 PM

Default ...

Last edited by UN3178; 01-27-2017 at 2:29 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 4:26 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

My first hand gun was a blue Model 19-4 6". Highly sought after, not sure of the price, I would guess $600+.

Triple
Old 03-22-2013, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Nickel Model 19-4 is my guess. What do I win?

I think $600 is a little hiigh on the value, but you might get it in CA because it isn't on the roster. In a free state, that is a $400 revolver. My Model 19 would be the last revolver I'd give up. They are great shooters. Feed it a lot of .38 and carry it with .357.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 03-22-2013, 6:51 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

I can't disagree with you, since the Model 19 was my first weapon purchase it would of been nice to keep it, but once I purchase a couple of Python's, the ole 19 just lost it's luster.

Triple

Last edited by TripleThreat; 03-22-2013 at 7:09 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 7:04 PM

What you got there is a NICE REVOLVER.
Old 03-22-2013, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
I can't disagree with you, since the Model 19 was my first weapon purchase it would of been nice to keep it, but once I purchase a couple of Python's, the ole 19 just lost it's luster.

Triple
I sold my Pythons when they hit $2,500. They're nice, but too heavy to carry and nobody works on them. The 19 is the best carry .357, and the 27 is the best target revolver. The Python tries to do both, and in the end I don't get the prices.

Quote:
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 03-22-2013, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
I think $600 is a little hiigh on the value, but you might get it in CA because it isn't on the roster. In a free state, that is a $400 revolver. My Model 19 would be the last revolver I'd give up. They are great shooters. Feed it a lot of .38 and carry it with .357.
Pretty much this. I always get envious when I read people post in the S&W forum about guys finding these at gun shows for $300-$400. They always get good deals.
Old 03-22-2013, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
I sold my Pythons when they hit $2,500. They're nice, but too heavy to carry and nobody works on them. The 19 is the best carry .357, and the 27 is the best target revolver. The Python tries to do both, and in the end I don't get the prices.
Yea, they're practically the most beautiful revolvers (arguably guns, period) and have sweet triggers.. but for the money I'd rather have a plethora of Rugers and S&Ws. Really sturdy and great warranties. Best thing about S&W's warranty is that if you have a local authorized S&W gunsmith near you, you can have them fix your gun and S&W will cover it. Saves the time of waiting for your gun to be shipped there and back, though every time I've had to send one out to S&W it took no more than 2 weeks.
Old 03-22-2013, 8:52 PM
In Memoriam

Pre panic about $500-ish depending on mechanical condition. Would be worth more with the original stocks on it. Any idea where they are? If it left the factory with the nickel plating there should be an "N" stamped on (I believe) the rear face of the cylinder and on the side of the frame under the grip.

Many consider the M19 to be one of the finest combat revolvers S&W ever made. If I inherited that it would need to be pried from my cold dead hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

Last edited by Fishslayer; 03-22-2013 at 8:55 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorenut View Post
Yea, they're practically the most beautiful revolvers (arguably guns, period) and have sweet triggers.. but for the money I'd rather have a plethora of Rugers and S&Ws. Really sturdy and great warranties. Best thing about S&W's warranty is that if you have a local authorized S&W gunsmith near you, you can have them fix your gun and S&W will cover it. Saves the time of waiting for your gun to be shipped there and back, though every time I've had to send one out to S&W it took no more than 2 weeks.
The fit and finish on pretty much any Colt made prior to WWII puts the Python to shame. The Pythons are very nice revolvers, but their myth seems to far exceed their reality. They are very nice, but pricing them in the same range as a Hamilton Bowen built, Turnbull finished revolver is nuts. I have a few 1950s and 1960s Pre-27s and 27s, and they are every bit as nice as my Pythons.

S&W Customer Service is also outstanding in my experience. I had them repair a 629 for me and do an action job on a 1961 Model 27, both to my satisfaction.

Quote:
Old 03-23-2013, 3:29 PM

That is a pinned barrel , I would never sell that one.
Old 03-23-2013, 5:15 PM

A pawn shop near me had 19-4 for $450 last week. The only difference is that it had wood grips instead of condoms. I almost got it right then and there. Talked myself into it over night and went back the next morning..... It was gone.
Old 03-23-2013, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorr931 View Post
I know its S&W. What is the general price range?
In 1979 NIB was $202. It was my first gun. Now $500 to $600.

Thanks for sharing, brings back fond memories