Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 7:28 AM
CGSSA Associate

Default BLM San Diego

If any ladies from San Diego are interested , we have been having clean ups/ shoots out on BLM land at least twice a month. I have noticed the lack of female participation , and would be interested in any ideas that would encourage some of our women members , and even more new shooters to come out and enjoy shooting outdoors .

Here is a link to the ones I have been doing .
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=683704
Any questions or comments would be appreciated.
Thank you!

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...5#post27536285

Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson
Old 02-12-2013, 1:47 PM

I am completely new to the forum and have been shooting for about a year. I have never shot outdoors. Could you tell me what is BLM? I am in San Diego.
Old 02-12-2013, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

BLM = Bureau Of Land Management

BLM Main Website
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en.html
Old 02-12-2013, 2:01 PM

Awesome thanks.
Old 02-12-2013, 4:13 PM
CGSSA Associate

It is the public land where we can shoot , hunt, ride atvs, wander around etc... There is very little if it left here in SAn Diego , so we try to keep it as clean as possible. It is nice to be outdoors enjoying nature, and shooting in a more relaxed environment than an indoor range.

Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson
Old 02-12-2013, 7:04 PM

I'm a female out of SD and have seen the advertisements for the BLM clean-up in the SD sub-forum.

Here's the thing.....while I would be interested in getting involved, it's not a good idea for a woman to head out into the desert with a bunch of male gun owners she doesn't know. Plus, I don't have a 4-wheel drive vehicle and so I wouldn't be able to drive myself and would have to hitch a ride with gun toting strangers. I'm sure you're all nice fellas; but, it's a safety thing.

That's probably why you're not seeing lots of women in attendance....

BK
Old 02-12-2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I'm a female out of SD and have seen the advertisements for the BLM clean-up in the SD sub-forum.

Here's the thing.....while I would be interested in getting involved, it's not a good idea for a woman to head out into the desert with a bunch of male gun owners she doesn't know. Plus, I don't have a 4-wheel drive vehicle and so I wouldn't be able to drive myself and would have to hitch a ride with gun toting strangers. I'm sure you're all nice fellas; but, it's a safety thing.

BK

Truth!!, and smart. I am not a chick but I agree with her, and I have never been on this thread, just saw BLM. Ive been wanting to volunteer, I could bring out my niece but she does not count as a lady (Guys) But I will be looking out for the next BLM pick up.

Last edited by EL_NinO619; 02-12-2013 at 9:31 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 9:44 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

good post, BK!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

BK
While I understand where you are coming from… sometimes you need to take a leap of faith… I’ve met so many calguners and they are outstanding people… I’m sure anyone willing to clean up BLM land would be excellent company.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:

BK
Just bring your own guns... Now everyone is on equal ground. Sam Colt made all men (and woman) equal...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
Old 02-13-2013, 6:09 AM
CGSSA Associate

That is also why we meet in a neutral location to meet and greet before we head out. Or you could always bring a friend as a chaperone. But part if it is an act I faith. So maybe come to the meet up spot and get to know the others, and then next time head out to the clean up spots. Hopefully we can have a meet at a local range as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:

BK
you are too right.. I wasnt think about going alone however. Bring my gun toting boyfriend. LOL
Old 02-13-2013, 5:13 PM
CGSSA Associate

If any ladies would like to come to the next one, they can PM me and I will give them my contact info. Also my girlfriend would like to have some other ladies to shoot with when we head out.

Old 02-13-2013, 5:25 PM
CGSSA Associate

I will be planning a trip out to BLM on a Sunday and I will be encouraging guys to bring their families or significant others.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 PM
CGSSA Associate

What about having a ladies-only cleanup, if there is enough interest? Lead by sdfire and/or musick (San Diego C3 cleanup leaders) of course? Then the numbers would be stacked.
I don't think all of the cleanup areas require a 4WD. sdfire can correct me on this.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

I'm a guy but did my first clean up & some shooting with sdfire. This was last week. I didn't know what to expect, who would show up, & where we were going. I had no idea! sdfire & I drove out, cleaned up 2 spots & did some shooting, it was fun. I rarely shoot with people I don't know really well. I can understand the trust/being safe thing. Bring your BF's & a pair of gloves maybe, meet some Calgunners & have some fun. I'll prolly head out there mid-week.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 AM

I was out there on the 16th and some idiot left his ap test exams and glass out there. I bring my little girl and her friends and The group i go with always brings the wives and we make it a family event.

Bad Kitty if you would like to go out then meet up with us one day in town and chat in a public place that way you get to know the group your going with nad can feel safer being out in the mountains with us
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM

I guess I better chime back in here as I seemed to have given the menfolk the impression that I am some kind of weak and scared girl.

I am not afraid of attending Calguns events. I am an assertive and confident woman. I have attended Calguns events before without any problems. Since I don't have a boyfriend, I attend Calguns events by myself.

Where I think the men are not following me is that BLM land clean-ups are different. Meeting up with Calguns at a gun show or going to shoot with Calgunners at P2K....not a big deal since those are public places in populated areas where I can leave if I need to do so.

On the other hand, BLM clean-ups are in the open desert, at unpublicized locations, with strange men who are carrying guns and with whom I would need to get a ride.

No....bringing a gun does not make a woman an equal match for 10+ armed men alone in the desert. Sorry to say that.

Yesterday's BLM clean-up didn't go as planned....right??

I happened to log in to CG yesterday morning to see some really angry dude posting a lot of angry messages to the clean-up thread, yelling at another CalGunner about not getting a ride to the clean-up. He made vulgar and physically threatening statements against the other Calgunner right in public on the forum (those posts have since been deleted). THIS is why I have reservations about going to BLM land with men I don't know. Yesterday's events don't help anyone's case.

Plus, as far as I can tell, the group split up and ended up breaking off into smaller groups to clean up areas apart from one another. Again, I wouldn't feel good about splitting off to a secluded location with 2-3 guys away from the main group.

It's not fear....it's common sense for a woman.

I would LOVE to go out and shoot on BLM land. I sometimes get to shoot out in the desert in Nevada and it's fun. But, with a bunch of dudes I don't know....some of which apparently have anger problems?.......eh....no.

I hope you will please forgive me for sharing my thoughts. I'm not trying to lecture anyone or rub salt in yesterday's wounds. I just think that, if we want CG to be all-inclusive, then it's important that we acknowledge the issues.

BK
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper96 View Post
Bad Kitty if you would like to go out then meet up with us one day in town and chat in a public place that way you get to know the group your going with nad can feel safer being out in the mountains with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss_hk View Post
What about having a ladies-only cleanup, if there is enough interest? Lead by sdfire and/or musick (San Diego C3 cleanup leaders) of course? Then the numbers would be stacked.
I don't think all of the cleanup areas require a 4WD. sdfire can correct me on this.

Ok...so again...I just want to clarify that I'm not scared of you all. I work in public safety for cryin' out loud. I work with random members of the public and I do lots of awkward and scary things all the time. LOL And again, I *have* been to CG events before.

That said, I don't like beating a dead horse. I like taking action and solving problems. In order to have positive, forward motion, I think we can branch off of what sapper and hoss have suggested. If we could rustle up a handful of women who would be willing to go and carpool together....that would be a step in the right direction.

Even before that, though, it would probably be better to have a CG meet-up at a range. I think some of the women I've heard from don't have as much experience with firearms and some might feel hesitant on account of thinking they're too novice. Let's get women interested in CG before we start trying to lure them into the desert. Yes?

I don't like being the jerk who gives opinions and then expects others to do the work. So, I am volunteering to lead a range meeting for (men and women). I am also willing to volunteer to be a "women's chairperson" for San Diego C3 if you think it would help to have a woman to serve as a POC for other women.

BK
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Ok...so again...I just want to clarify that I'm not scared of you all. I work in public safety for cryin' out loud. I work with random members of the public and I do lots of awkward and scary things all the time. LOL And again, I *have* been to CG events before.

That said, I don't like beating a dead horse. I like taking action and solving problems. In order to have positive, forward motion, I think we can branch off of what sapper and hoss have suggested. If we could rustle up a handful of women who would be willing to go and carpool together....that would be a step in the right direction.

Even before that, though, it would probably be better to have a CG meet-up at a range. I think some of the women I've heard from don't have as much experience with firearms and some might feel hesitant on account of thinking they're too novice. Let's get women interested in CG before we start trying to lure them into the desert. Yes?

I don't like being the jerk who gives opinions and then expects others to do the work. So, I am volunteering to lead a range meeting for (men and women). I am also willing to volunteer to be a "women's chairperson" for San Diego C3 if you think it would help to have a woman to serve as a POC for other women.

BK
Right on, BK ! Co-ed range meetings, with a C3 on site is a great idea.

You don't need to be the 'women's chairperson'. You can be just a C3 who is a woman. All you need to do is send a PM to Pennys Dad, the honcho of the C3's and tell him you're interested. We need more women in leadership positions in Calguns. I'm a C3 in Sacramento and I'm VERY interested in getting a larger membership among women and girls.

That said, you can certainly forward women's interests in Calguns as a C3.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 AM

BadKitty, you are deadon right on everything!
men don't get it because the literally don't have watch their backs in the same way as we do.
given some of the creeps that do frequent calguns, well, i'm surprised that some of the guys aren't a bit more careful themselves.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
You don't need to be the 'women's chairperson'. You can be just a C3 who is a woman. All you need to do is send a PM to Pennys Dad, the honcho of the C3's and tell him you're interested. We need more women in leadership positions in Calguns. I'm a C3 in Sacramento and I'm VERY interested in getting a larger membership among women and girls.

That said, you can certainly forward women's interests in Calguns as a C3.

Thanks, BonnieB, I see what you're saying. I guess I was confused because hoss_hk is already the C3 Leader for San Diego. He further identified two other fellas as the "San Diego C3 cleanup leaders". I thought that meant that there were some kind of sub-committees within the C3 which report to the C3 leader. So, I was suggesting I could be the women's POC. I certainly didn't mean to imply that a woman is only fit to be a junior helper - I just didn't want to step on the current leadership's toes!

Maybe I could talk to hoss_hk and Penny's Dad about it and see what the best course of action would be. Thanks again for helping clarify.

BK
Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Remind me, what is C3?

BZ, BadKitty, excellently put. Too bad the women who tag along with their boyfriends/husbands probably won't read your warning, but the guys might and think twice about bringing them in the future. Should give them something to think about for themselves as well.

Is it possible to organize such cleanups privately and just have a group that knows each other well and trusts each other?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 PM

You got it, BK. Contact Pennys Dad and Hoss_hk and I'm sure they'll be glad to have your help and make you a full fledged C3

In Sacramento, both Lazyme and I are C3 Leaders. Some areas have several, there's enough work to go around and then some.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 02-17-2013, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-dragon View Post
Remind me, what is C3?

C3 stands for "Calguns Community Chapters" - a network of volunteers across the state who help promote CalGuns on a local or regional level.

Here's the section: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=183

BK
Old 02-19-2013, 2:04 PM
CGSSA Associate

We actually haven't gone out to the desert yet. Some of the areas we go to are accessible by most cars and trucks near main roads. While I do agree that a woman should be careful about going out to BLM with a group of men they don't know, they could come to the meet up spot before hand and at least get to know some of the other calgunners. The meet up spots are always in a very public place near coffee shops, gas stations, grocery stores, etc... so everybody feels comfortable and can get any last minute supplies.

I would also like to have a casual meet up at a coffee shop or restaurant to compare spots that people know of every now and then. Anybody is more than welcome to come to one of these events and get out from behind the safety of their computer screens, and meet some others.

I would be more than happy to organize an all women's event With your help Badkitty. We could start at a local indoor range, or SBRGC and go from there. Just PM me if interested.

Old 02-19-2013, 2:08 PM
CGSSA Associate

Default private group

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-dragon View Post

Is it possible to organize such cleanups privately and just have a group that knows each other well and trusts each other?
I would not mind at all taking a small group of friends out to some spots to clean/shoot. Just PM me and we can discuss details further.

Old 02-19-2013, 2:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

BK

You could have just told me you didn't want to ride with me! Kidding.

I'd be happy to see anyone go out and clean up, the last time I was there it was a mess.
Old 02-20-2013, 1:06 PM

I am also a member at P2K and did not know that Calgun members meet there to shoot. Again I am super new to the forum. Think meeting there to shoot would be great.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:11 AM
CGSSA Associate

South Bay rod and gun club is a good range as well . It is outdoors, and they have a lot more room for more shooters, and the cease fires to set up targets aren't as obnoxious .

Old 02-21-2013, 6:35 AM

Quote:

BK
Here is a meet at Iron sights on 3/6.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=708048
Old 02-21-2013, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
You lookin' for one?

leg humper sighting in the Ladies Forum!
word to the wise, seabee, this thread was created as a leg humper free zone by the owner of calguns.
knock it off or the mods will be alerted....yeah, yeah, you're a good guy and joking around......we've heard that before.
and reading the context of BK's post, she was explaining why she hasn't participated in the clean ups....and you made it apparent why calgun women won't.
thanks.
Quote:
Old 02-21-2013, 7:41 AM

Quote:

BK
BK-

I am a RSO at Lemon Grove Rod & Gun Club in Alpine CA. In order to further you goal of a co-ed get together for Calguns members, my wife (also a RSO) and I are willing to host an event at Lemon Grove for a get together. The event would probably have to be hosted in our pistol pit which also allows shotgun, and rimfire rifles. The rifle range has very few open dates on weekends, and scheduling would be problematic. If you get this idea off the ground, PM me and we can set dates and times. BTW, Lemon Grove is a private club, so I would have to sponsor on all in attendance. Event would be free, but I would have to limit it 20 or so as there are only about 15 shooting stations. There would be a scheduled meet time at the front gate to get in. If this one went well, I could make it a semi regular event.

Last edited by missiondude; 02-21-2013 at 7:46 AM..