Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 05-30-2013, 8:27 PM

Default Concealed Carry Purse

Ok ladies,
I've come to the realization that my most realistic way that I can carry is in a purse. I HATE everything I've seen in person. Many of the ones I see online seem horrid or not practical for me. What do you use? I really want one with a locking compartment, large zipper closured pockets and in leather that isn't ugly. I carry a pretty expensive lamb skin hobo now, and sort of want to keep it in the same look. Sigh. I don't want to give up style but know I must put function first. I find this problem with good outdoor shoes too....hehe
Old 05-30-2013, 9:19 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/h...-carry-purses/

Discussion and links to manufacturers.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-30-2013, 9:22 PM

I like this website. http://urbanmoxy.com/

I am loving this purse. http://urbanmoxy.com/Gina.htm

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 05-30-2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
I like this website. http://urbanmoxy.com/

I am loving this purse. http://urbanmoxy.com/Gina.htm
thanks...I haven't seen these yet. I saw a couple, but I'm not sure I want to spend over $300 on something I can't hold and check out in person. Why doesn't Coach or some someone like that make one? BOO!
Old 05-31-2013, 7:01 AM
Calguns Addict

What happens to the gun when the purse gets snatched?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Exactly what you expect.

But this thread is about getting a suitable purse after all those considerations have been evaluated.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 05-31-2013, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
At best I consider myself an amateur at appreciating the female figure.That being established,even I can understand why purse carry may be the only practical option for most women seeking to carry.

Unless the woman In question wishes to carry a micro pistol,its doubtful shell be able to hide a compact or full size handgun without printing badly.A cover garment helps,except her friends will likely wonder why she's always wearing jackets all the time.We guys might be able to stick a 5" 1911 down our pants without trouble,but this is quite impossible for most members of the fairer sex to pull off.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 05-31-2013, 7:32 PM

We women all have the same problem of carrying on the curvy female body, hence the jeans jacket in the dead of summer.

The specific carry handbags have a metal cable in the shoulder strap, so they can't be cut. As for someone grabbing it, which is notorious in SF, you just need to be situationally aware. It is a problem, because then they get not only your bag, but your gun as well.

The best known solution is to get one with a shoulder strap that is long enough to go cross-body, like a messenger bag, in urban situations.

Another idea is to get a holster that has velcro on one side, and have someone who can sew, put velcro in an outside zipper pocket. My sense is that if you lock the pocket, you won't be able to get to it quickly.

If you look through this forum, Bugguts put forward an idea on how to custom fit a holster to a tank top, similar fabric to Spanx. Again, this is a minor sewing project that any alterations shop should be able to handle.

I know of a woman who got a Galco Skyops holster for a Glock 27, (.40 calibre and is successfully concealing in the small of the back and also in the appendix position. Each has issues, but none of us can make it work squarely on a hip.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 05-31-2013, 8:04 PM

I've been fooling around with my Kahr CW9(unloaded obviously) just to see if I can even pull it off. Just straight up Mexican carry it's so obvious. Tried on hubby's holsters (not made for my gun, but still to get an idea, nope, not unless it's under a jacket. I also sit a a desk all day so IWB would be uncomfortable, it's too big for a flash bang, so it leads me to start with purse carry and keep trying to find a suitable on the body carry that I can conceal well enough. I live in a very rural area and don't worry to much about purse snatchers, but am aware and already have habits that would make it tough for someone to grab my bag. If in a city I'd probably carry something really small like one of the gun toting mama's little cross body bags.
Old 06-01-2013, 7:34 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

can you alter the interior of a Coach bag?
how about having it altered to hold a pistol sleeve?
or create a sleeve of your own?
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Have you looked at Coronado Leather. They aren't cheap but neither is a Coach purse. They have about 18 different styles for the ladies. Galco also has CCW purses. Good luck.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-01-2013 at 1:32 PM.. Reason: Let's make shopping easy!
Old 06-01-2013, 1:08 PM

Thigh holster... you should be wearing a skirt/dress anyways.. right?
Old 06-01-2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielbasavw View Post
Thigh holster... you should be wearing a skirt/dress anyways.. right?
hehehe.....wouldn't work for me. I hate dresses. I'm a slacks kinda lady.... maybe a shoulder holster with a blazer. Trial and error to ensue.
Old 06-01-2013, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
Have you looked at Coronado Leather. They aren't cheap but neither is a Coach purse. They have about 18 different styles for the ladies. Galco also has CCW purses. Good luck.
oh man....I am a brat I guess. It's a purse, not a husband! A couple of the Coronado are really nice, but I'm so picky. I'd rather spend the money on one that is nice however then get the ugly ones I've seen a gun shows (rhinestones and camo) or the ones with the pocket on the outside that screams "GUN!" sigh.....thanks though...the bison nubuck hobo is not too shabby, but yeah, the price is steep. I carry a lambskin bag right now that I just was lucky enough to find on a super clearance for $180, wish I could turn it into a CCW purse. BOO
Old 06-01-2013, 9:03 PM

Find yourself a pocket gun and it will fit in any purse, any pocket.
Old 06-02-2013, 7:05 PM

I will be carrying a Kahr CW9. It's pretty small, and I have a great little pocket holster in can fit in, I just want a zipped, locking compartment to carry it. I don't know about anyone else, but my bag gets pretty messy. No one needs a tic tac going up the barrel by accident
Old 06-02-2013, 11:05 PM

Ziploc baggie?
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 06-03-2013, 8:38 AM

A friend of mine has this in BLACK and loves it - does not lock but she does not put it down if it has her gun in it. Looks and feels like a nice black leather purse to me and has both regular pockets and zip pockets inside and out but not tacky at all. Does not print at all with the gun in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Toten-Mama...0278088&sr=1-9

Last edited by RunsWithGuns; 06-03-2013 at 8:48 AM.. Reason: Corrected Link
Old 06-03-2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithGuns View Post
A friend of mine has this in BLACK and loves it - does not lock but she does not put it down if it has her gun in it. Looks and feels like a nice black leather purse to me and has both regular pockets and zip pockets inside and out but not tacky at all. Does not print at all with the gun in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Toten-Mama...0278088&sr=1-9
thanks I've seen this one online and it isn't the best looking. You never know until it's right in front of you. I hate online shopping for stuff that matters :P I might have to check this one out.
Old 06-03-2013, 7:13 PM

https://www.guntotenmamas.com/cgi-bi...on&key=GTM1018
Ended up ordering this one I will give it a try. I'm still hoping to find a good on the body carry option that works.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 PM

Default Women's gear at local store

I don't know anything about purses, but you might want to check out the new women's section at El Cajon Gun Exchange (San Deigo County). The Sales Manager is a woman and she has convinced the store owner to devote some of the floorspace to women's gear. She has a rack of leather purses designed for concealed carry as well as other clothing products and a few gun rugs.
Old 06-14-2013, 5:54 PM

Tag . For women concealed carry bag.
Old 06-14-2013, 5:58 PM

Well, I've been using the gun toten mamas bag for about a week now. The leather is softening up well and it's ok. It's not all that pretty of a bag, doesn't lock and the leather wore off a tid bit on one of the straps. BUT the gun portion of the bag is great, ANY gun could fit inside, you might have to alter the holster, it comes with just a Velcro on one, so you could alter any other one for a larger pistol. It's reallt easy to access and draw while dropping or tossing the bag away from you(hoping the attacker/robber goes for the bag) I will certainly be getting at least one other in the future. Overall I give it a 10 on function, and a 6 on looks. Just in case anyone cared :P
Old 06-14-2013, 5:59 PM

tag?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoba View Post
Tag . For women concealed carry bag.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Administrator

'tag' is a way to follow the thread. In some forum installations, replying automatically subscribes that poster to the thread; Calguns is not set up that way, but you can use the User Control Panel to make that work.
Quote:
Default Thread Subscription Mode
When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.
Default Thread Subscription Mode:
The vBulletin way to do it thread-by-thread, without replying, is to use the Thread Tools drop-down and click on 'subscribe to thread' -

- Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Librarian; 06-15-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 5:51 PM

I know you're looking at purse options, but has anyone looked at the Remora holsters? This woman in these YouTube videos has a few about conceal carry options. She seems to be pretty successful in concealment even while wearing a bikini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izM0fiz6kk

-Keith
Old 07-10-2013, 5:17 PM

If you have a favorite purse or one you might want to buy and you are near Oceanside, contact Ares Armor and ask to speak with Jon who runs the sew shop, he might be able to alter something you actually like and put a tactical spin on it. Jon is fabulous at solving issues when he has the bag someone wants in front of him. He's not a good fashion designer but he is an amazing problem solver. His LP has many times complained about the lack of good options for women and I know he's been noodling on some solutions.

If you want an AMAZING German Shepherd, I know people www.ragnarshepherds.com.