Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
So you sent scanned copies of everything they need?
Yes, everything scanned and emailed.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalPI View Post
Yes, everything scanned and emailed.

Thx
Old 01-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

just got back from my 11am appt. got renewed!
walked in, gave Yolanda my check, chit chatted for a bit & I walked out with my renewed ccw for 2 more years. same pic as before, no live scan. she didn't need the original docs of anything, all the scanned/emailed forms were sufficient for her.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddogg View Post
walked in, gave Yolanda my check, chit chatted for a bit & I walked out with my renewed ccw for 2 more years. same pic as before, no live scan. she didn't need the original docs of anything, all the scanned/emailed forms were sufficient for her.
Cool.
Old 01-30-2016, 9:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddogg View Post

Good to know. You're lucky your date is ahead of the rush that will be occurring in June.
Old 02-01-2016, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

Since mine expires this May 2016, I think I will start filling out the renewal application.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2016, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstnpete View Post
Since mine expires this May 2016, I think I will start filling out the renewal application.

Me too. I already have my GC worked out, I think fairly well. I may submit a wee bit early just to get ahead of the crowd.
Old 02-08-2016, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funthea View Post
Me too. I already have my GC worked out, I think fairly well. I may submit a wee bit early just to get ahead of the crowd.
I'm sending my application this week.

Old 02-10-2016, 3:55 AM

Good to hear ruddog. Did you wait until exactly 90 days?
Old 02-10-2016, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post
Good to hear ruddog. Did you wait until exactly 90 days?
Per OCSD, you must be exactly at 90 days (or less) to submit your renewal.

They do not accept early renewals.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 02-10-2016, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

My CCW expires 5-20-16.
I just Priority mailed my renewal application this morning. Yolanda should be getting it tomorrow. I will see when she emails me notification to take the 4 hour certification.

Old 02-11-2016, 3:36 PM

Can anyone that has successfully renewed their CCW pm me in regards to GC statements?
Old 02-11-2016, 3:40 PM

^ me too

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2016, 3:47 PM

When I did my renewal, I e-mail everything in instead of mail it in. All communication was done via e-mail and only time I need to go in is to pick up my permit.

From ruddogg's experience, the process was rather quick if you have all docs ready; he end up losing about 2 months worth of time as new 2yr period starts from date you pick up, not date your old one expired. 90 day is ultra safe, you can shorten that period at your own discretion.

For good cause, I have heard so many "easy" good cause that works in current system. including but not limit to: shoot very often and carry valuable (firearm) to and from shooting range; early morning or late jogging/walking pets, etc. Be creative and come up with scenario that works for you and chances of getting one is very good right now.
Old 02-11-2016, 4:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
When I did my renewal, I e-mail everything in instead of mail it in. All communication was done via e-mail and only time I need to go in is to pick up my permit.

From ruddogg's experience, the process was rather quick if you have all docs ready; he end up losing about 2 months worth of time as new 2yr period starts from date you pick up, not date your old one expired. 90 day is ultra safe, you can shorten that period at your own discretion.

For good cause, I have heard so many "easy" good cause that works in current system. including but not limit to: shoot very often and carry valuable (firearm) to and from shooting range; early morning or late jogging/walking pets, etc. Be creative and come up with scenario that works for you and chances of getting one is very good right now.
When did you renew?

Yeah, chances are 90 days will cause one to lose some time off their old permit. However, it's a non-issue as long as OCSD is going to continue to issue (no pun intended.) The main downside is having to go through mechanics of gathering your stuff, writing your GC, submitting it, etc.

Those of us who had permits under Corona will remember the "Avid Shooter" Good Cause. It was essentially what I bolded above: You shot often and the transportation of your guns gave you a higher risk of being jacked and your guns stolen and put into unlawful circulation. With that said, "Avid Shooter" was the Good Cause that the current sheriff got rid of when she took office. Those with that GC had their permits recalled. Interesting how things have come full circle and that GC is now being accepted.
Old 02-11-2016, 4:20 PM

My renewal was back in last October, but ruddogg's renewal was more recent.

And no, Hutchens was not the one that got rid of the "Avid Shooter" GC, it was done under than interim Sheriff Jack Anderson. Bill Murphy at FTA was pushing the "AVID SHOOTER" GC and guys at Turner's were pushing it for him. My suspicion is this cuts into Greg Block's gravy train so he pull strings within OCSD to kill that good cause at that time. Note the date of the link below, Hutchen's was NOT the sheriff at that time.

ETA: Correction. Based on the time of below link (08/14/2007), Carona was still the sheriff when the Avid Shooter GC go canned. Carona did not resign until 1/14/2008.

http://calccw.com/Forums/general-ccw...-read-now.html

What Hutchens did was pull some CCW that was issued to the Carona's good boy club and require every permit holder to re-submit their GC for review. I think it went by name of "Professional Service" as a volunteer corp which at the time they were being issued badges but does not have the full LEO power, hence the need for CCW permit.

Last edited by CWM4A1; 02-11-2016 at 4:37 PM..
Old 02-11-2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:

And no, Hutchens was not the one that got rid of the "Avid Shooter" GC, it was done under than interim Sheriff Jack Anderson. Bill Murphy at FTA was pushing the "AVID SHOOTER" GC and guys at Turner's were pushing it for him. My suspicion is this cuts into Greg Block's gravy train so he pull strings within OCSD to kill that good cause at that time. Note the date of the link below, Hutchen's was NOT the sheriff at that time.

Didn't know that. Thanks. Good to know.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2016, 6:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

ETA: Correction. Based on the time of below link (08/14/2007), Carona was still the sheriff when the Avid Shooter GC go canned. Carona did not resign until 1/14/2008.

What Hutchens did was pull some CCW that was issued to the Carona's good boy club and require every permit holder to re-submit their GC for review. I think it went by name of "Professional Service" as a volunteer corp which at the time they were being issued badges but does not have the full LEO power, hence the need for CCW permit.
I recall that it was Hutchens who revoked permits:http://www.ocregister.com/news/permi...concealed.html.

I know this because I'm one of the one's who had theirs recalled and I wasn't a even member of Carona's "good boy club." Whether it was called "Avid Shooter or "Transportation of Valuables", it didn't fly with Hutchens and she had such permits recalled.
Old 02-11-2016, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't know if I will be able to renew this summer. my renewal is in September. i don't think i will be able to renew it and will have to do the process all over again. being on active duty here in Texas and the very limited time off we do get will preclude renewing and taking the 4 hour class.

no biggie i do when i get home. i'm serious about getting no time off. the whole post is off this coming Monday and the weekend guess who are the only ones working that's right the people i came here with.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-11-2016, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampcrip View Post
Can anyone that has successfully renewed their CCW pm me in regards to GC statements?
Me too! Please. I have something written out but would welcome peer review.
Old 02-11-2016, 7:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I don't know if I will be able to renew this summer. my renewal is in September. i don't think i will be able to renew it and will have to do the process all over again. being on active duty here in Texas and the very limited time off we do get will preclude renewing and taking the 4 hour class.

no biggie i do when i get home. i'm serious about getting no time off. the whole post is off this coming Monday and the weekend guess who are the only ones working that's right the people i came here with.
Well that sucks.

The one good thing is they MIGHT not make you take your LiveScan again. They'll notified of subsequent arrests and there shouldn't be a need to LiveScan again assuming they haven't told DOJ they no longer need to track you. With that said, they may very well make you jump through all the hoops.
Old 02-11-2016, 7:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well that sucks.

The one good thing is they MIGHT not make you take your LiveScan again. They'll notified of subsequent arrests and there shouldn't be a need to LiveScan again assuming they haven't told DOJ they no longer need to track you. With that said, they may very well make you jump through all the hoops.
i expected to start the entire process all over again anyways because of me being gone. if we are lucky and i mean lucky Peruta is decided in our favor and hopefully with that Hutchens will go back to SD being the only cause needed for CCW.

the process really wasn't an issue and it was pretty easy anyways. there are more places to go and take the training that before so that's a plus right there. i still have my folder with all the stuff i did to get my initial permit.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-11-2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
I recall that it was Hutchens who revoked permits:http://www.ocregister.com/news/permi...concealed.html.

I know this because I'm one of the one's who had theirs recalled and I wasn't a even member of Carona's "good boy club." Whether it was called "Avid Shooter or "Transportation of Valuables", it didn't fly with Hutchens and she had such permits recalled.
You had two events mixed. Avid shooter GC got nipped in 2007 as I explained; Hutchens technically never "revoke" any permit, she cleverly use "early expiration" for anyone she seems not having a good enough good cause to her when she took over. That's why I can't stand people who think either Hutchens or Block is great because fundamentally neither one are friend of carrying right.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
i expected to start the entire process all over again anyways because of me being gone. if we are lucky and i mean lucky Peruta is decided in our favor and hopefully with that Hutchens will go back to SD being the only cause needed for CCW.

the process really wasn't an issue and it was pretty easy anyways. there are more places to go and take the training that before so that's a plus right there. i still have my folder with all the stuff i did to get my initial permit.
You can renew by e-mailing most of docs, and see if you can find an instructor that can work around your schedule. When you start the renewal process they will keep the live scan active, even if you didn't pick up the permit in time before current one expired.

If you truly let the permit expired (i.e. didn't even submit renewal paperwork), than you do have to start all over again including live scan, not to mention the higher initial permit fee and training cost. Suggest to ask OCSD's CCW unit to see what they would do to help you keep it as renewal instead of having you do it over again.

Last edited by CWM4A1; 02-12-2016 at 4:13 AM..
Old 02-12-2016, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My CCW expires 5-20-16.
I just Priority mailed my renewal application this morning. Yolanda should be getting it tomorrow. I will see when she emails me notification to take the 4 hour certification.

yea like CWM4A1 said, no need to "snail mail" it in. Just scan & email it to OCSD. Your Live Scan is already on record, no need to do again for renewal.

as for the 90 days, I tried to submit back in Dec before the 90 days, Yolanda told me to hold off till Jan. I submitted about 1 week before exactly 90 days & she took it.
Old 02-12-2016, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

OCSD already received it. Just waiting for an email reply.

Old 02-12-2016, 9:09 AM

For peer review of GCS - PM a couple of the old timers here that post knowledgeably and ask them if they would read your statement.

I had good luck and everybody was very supportive. My statement ended up being strong enough to serve as a widely publicized example.

Mine is here in the Good Cause thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4&postcount=36
Old 02-19-2016, 7:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
OCSD already received it. Just waiting for an email reply.

Just heard from Yolanda and my renewal packet is now with the investigator. And will be contacting soon.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:38 PM

Great thread. I have a bit of time before renewing, but I have a question. When I got my initial permit, it was without GC. Will this impact my renewal process? I would assume I just will be expected to identify a legitimate GC. Thanks all.
Old 02-19-2016, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbe Busoni View Post
Great thread. I have a bit of time before renewing, but I have a question. When I got my initial permit, it was without GC. Will this impact my renewal process? I would assume I just will be expected to identify a legitimate GC. Thanks all.
You will need to articulate good cause for needing the permit. It is not just automatically renewed like a driver's license.
Old 02-19-2016, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbe Busoni View Post
I'm assuming you mean you received your permit with self defense as your good cause instead of "without a good cause."

It's up to the IA to determine what will fly or not.
Old 02-19-2016, 2:54 PM

Subscribed...
Old 02-19-2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
I'm assuming you mean you received your permit with self defense as your good cause instead of "without a good cause."

It's up to the IA to determine what will fly or not.
Yes, good point. I was assuming he was in OC. There are some counties that still accept self defense as a valid reason.
Old 02-19-2016, 5:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just heard from Yolanda and my renewal packet is now with the investigator. And will be contacting soon.

You snail-mailed hard copies of your docs, is that correct?
Old 02-19-2016, 6:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Update from the CCW unit regarding renewal:
Should be done in 3-4 weeks.

FWIW, I scanned and emailed everything to them. I also took my training ahead of time and submitted an amendment for a 3rd firearm (ditching my revolver). They gave me the thumbs up 5 days ago.
Old 02-20-2016, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You snail-mailed hard copies of your docs, is that correct?
Yes, I did priority mail and arrived next day.
With tracking confirmation.

Old 02-20-2016, 6:00 AM
Veteran Member

Per Yolamda, as long as the list is followed....it's ok.

Old 02-23-2016, 6:33 PM

On the CalCCW Facebook page, Mr. Block wrote to send your renewals in 120 days prior to expiration. The information is from Melissa and it changed from 90 days to 120 days last week. This is a new policy change because of the high influx of renewal applications they are receiving. I now need to send mine ASAP.

Here is the link to the post: https://m.facebook.com/groups/116438...25512664126796

Last edited by glock21sf; 02-23-2016 at 11:16 PM..
Old 02-23-2016, 10:58 PM

Wow 6 months early huh... That makes it a 1.5 year permit. The guy above got his turned around in a month... Hopefully next person to go in can ask about this directly. That might be the case and I'm assuming Greg Block is right but still .... 6 months.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:07 PM

Wait on that link I don't see anything about 6 months only a suggested 4 months by a member. Greg Block linked ocsd policy which stated 3 months... Or am I missing something?