Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-22-2017, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Confused as hell

Hey all,

I got to shoot some of my traditional-style muzzle loaders for the first time the other day, and I have been thinking about trying out a hunt with one.

I am trying to get clarification of the non-lead rules for muzzle loaders. According to what I can find on the DFG regs website, the only limitations are that it must be .40 cal or larger, and use ammunition certified as Ca compliant, and that is about it. The CA compliant list just certifies it as non-lead, it doesn't certify it as totally legal for hunting (says right on the page - ain't that something?)
However, when I run a Google search, I run across these two websites:

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/artic...by-state/#cali

https://www.knightrifles.com/califor...unting-season/

Both of these sites list additional restrictions on the weight in grains of the projectiles that you can use in a muzzleloader.

It appears that at some point, these websites copied/pasted from the DFG regs, but I can find no reference on the DFG page about projectile weight requirements. Did they delete them or something?

I am confused, because Tombob Outdoors got some patched round balls certified for use in CA, but these projectiles don't meet the weight requirements.

Can anyone clarify this for me? I hate to call a game warden and ask, because we all know that asking an LEO about what is legal or not will get you a different answer every time....not to mention they have no duty to provide accurate info.

Some help would be fantastic, thanks in advance.

I hate this state.
Old 09-22-2017, 7:25 PM

Default Confused as hell

I use Barnes TSX all copper in 45/70 with a crush rib sabot for my 50 cal inline rifle. They are CA legal.

But perhaps when you say "traditional" you're not talking about an inline ML that can shoot more modern sabot+bullet type loads... in which case im afraid I can't help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by sbsyncro; 09-22-2017 at 7:29 PM..
Old 09-23-2017, 1:32 PM
Calguns Addict

You can buy sabots with the Barnes non-lead bullets in them.
I have used them and they are the very best combo for a muzzle loader for hunting. And accurate. Deer dropped like hit by lighting. I hunted in Nev during their muzzle loader season. We tried other projectiles including pure lead and the Barnes outdid any of them.
We used the barnes bullets that had the very large hollow point and came already to load. We also used Pyrodex powder. I used both a traditional and an in-line rifle. They are 54 and 50cal.
Old 09-23-2017, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
You can buy sabots with the Barnes non-lead bullets in them.
I have used them and they are the very best combo for a muzzle loader for hunting. And accurate. Deer dropped like hit by lighting. I hunted in Nev during their muzzle loader season. We tried other projectiles including pure lead and the Barnes outdid any of them.
We used the barnes bullets that had the very large hollow point and came already to load. We also used Pyrodex powder. I used both a traditional and an in-line rifle. They are 54 and 50cal.
Super helpul....thanks!

Do the Barnes come preloaded in Sabots, or do I have to put those together?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2017, 9:04 PM

If you're shooting a roundball in a traditional muzzleloader, these are your only options. Expensive compared to lead but I've used them and they shoot well.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ITX...ctinfo/TXRB50/
Old 09-24-2017, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

The Barnes come preloaded for the ones I got. There was 10(as I remember) to a card.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM

most traditional muzzle loader have a slow rate of twist 1 in 60 to 1 in 72 that wont stabilize sabot bullets. Lyman has a 1 in 32 barrel for their planes rifle that will stabilize some of the sabot rounds
Old 09-24-2017, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

My T/C Renegade has a 1-48 twist and will do fine.
Yes some that are designed for only round ball has a slower twist and will not work.
My inline has a 1-28 twist and is super accurate with the Barnes sabot bullets.