Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-11-2012, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
It seemed pretty explicit in the final portion of the ruling that the panel was remanding the case to the district court for permanent injunction and a statement of unconstitutionality. Sure seems to me like the carry law is going to be tossed after 180 days.
They said the total ban was unconstitutional but that doesn't mean the court will just say "180 days are up, no carry laws, carry guns openly or concealed even into state prisons." If that was the case the repubs could use this as an opportunity to seriously repeal virtually every gun law on the books with the threat of just letting constitutional carry be the law of Illinois.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 12-11-2012, 1:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djandj View Post
So Gene, are you saying that ILL, the most anti-gun state around, is simply going to let this 180 days lapse and NOT re-write the law to allow some limited application so it passes muster? See I'm betting that a "some" carry law will not be struck. NO carry at all is constitutionally difficult, but yet, here in CA the vast majority of us will NEVER see a CCW and yet, no one is anywhere close to overturning the Sheriff's perrogative. So why wouldn't ILL simply put together a draconian policy and say good luck. Just like DOC did after Heller.
Did you see the B-slapping that chicago got in Ezell for trying to do that with their shooting range ban BS?

Every time they try that crap they just piss off the courts more and tighten the noose around their own neck.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 12-11-2012, 1:28 PM

Call me an optimist but I feel compelled to update my pre-completed California Concealed Carry application....

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the 9th Circuit rules in a similar fashion, we should all be lining up orderly and single file at the Sheriff's office, right?

Old 12-11-2012, 1:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Folks,

Courts don't get to write laws - only strike them. The law that would be struck on day 181 is the law that makes it a crime to carry a loaded handgun openly or concealed. If there is no new law passed or if the Governor vetos a good law, Illinois becomes Vermont.

Yes really - as a matter of law.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-11-2012, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
^Chris, what language you are referring to? The panel addressed NY law, but they said they disagreed with their reasoning.
I was responding prematurely to the language that described the NY statute as more moderate than the Illinois ban. I initially took that as approval. Having now read the decision, I see that the majority was disapproving (if a bit gently) of the NY decision. I do wish the criticism were more forceful, but at least the panel's disagreement is in the text.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 12-11-2012, 1:33 PM

Oh boy wouldn't that be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Folks,

Courts don't get to write laws - only strike them. The law that would be struck on day 181 is the law that makes it a crime to carry a loaded handgun openly or concealed. If there is no new law passed or if the Governor vetos a good law, Illinois becomes Vermont.

-Gene

Old 12-11-2012, 1:33 PM

Ok, dumb question. With this decision being pretty clear in stating that carry is a right outside the home will it have any impact in the legislation requiring states to honor each others CCW permits? Will this perhaps give the legislation a push over the hump so a Florida permit is good in XXXXX state?
Of course this is all for legislation consideration after we Thelma and Louise off the "fiscal cliff"

Old 12-11-2012, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Folks,

-Gene
That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Pistolero View Post
I was responding prematurely to the language that described the NY statute as more moderate than the Illinois ban. I initially took that as approval. Having now read the decision, I see that the majority was disapproving (if a bit gently) of the NY decision. I do wish the criticism were more forceful, but at least the panel's disagreement is in the text.
You have to realize something about Federal Appellate Judges. There are very few of them. They know each other. They go to the same conferences. They like each other. They do not call their peers idiots. They explain why they arrive at a different conclusion than their peers.

Like all generalizations, there are exceptions to the above. For example, Posner and Scalia have little love for each other.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:40 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post
Ok, dumb question. With this decision being pretty clear in stating that carry is a right outside the home will it have any impact in the legislation requiring states to honor each others CCW permits? Will this perhaps give the legislation a push over the hump so a Florida permit is good in XXXXX state?
Of course this is all for legislation consideration after we Thelma and Louise off the "fiscal cliff"
I'm sure this case will be especially useful to at least get carry permits issued to nonresidents for states in the 7th.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post
I would think at a minimum in states that require a permit, it would require them to issue permits to non-residents if they do not already do so.

I think give it several more years after all states have gone shall-issue/ConCarry, etc and it just becomes more accepted most states will prolly realize its more of a pain in the arse to try and micromanage it and it will go the way of a drivers license, you just have to have one from somewhere.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 12-11-2012, 1:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Folks,

-Gene
Well then... the NRA needs to take full advantage of what I stated Repeal FOID, repeal all Chicago gun laws and implement state firearm pre-emption similar to Florida. Repeal waiting periods, tear that "gun show loophole" even wider haha. We need to rollback as much as possible. The anti-gunners literally have no choice. They will practically be forced to beg for ONLY shall-issue legislation and for us not to touch their other anti-gun accomplishments.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
^
Old 12-11-2012, 1:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You could say that Pol Pot was more moderate than Hitler but that doesn't mean you approve. The reasoning of the Kachalsky opinion was highly criticized for basically ignoring Heller and utilizing what was effectively rational basis.

Quote:
^
Old 12-11-2012, 1:47 PM

The antis have at least one card to play from my estimation. Without a state shall issue law, I think Chicago can create their own ccw system, which would only pretend to be fair. The pro gunnies need to get the shall issue law passed with language to prevent that, unless I'm wrong.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
Well then... the NRA needs to take full advantage of what I stated Repeal FOID, repeal all Chicago gun laws and implement state firearm pre-emption similar to Florida. Repeal waiting periods, tear that "gun show loophole" even wider haha. We need to rollback as much as possible. The anti-gunners literally have no choice. They will practically be forced to beg for ONLY shall-issue legislation and for us not to touch their other anti-gun accomplishments.
Victory sure tastes sweet, doesn't it?
Old 12-11-2012, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
You have to realize something about Federal Appellate Judges. There are very few of them. They know each other. They go to the same conferences. They like each other. They do not call their peers idiots. They explain why they arrive at a different conclusion than their peers.

Like all generalizations, there are exceptions to the above. For example, Posner and Scalia have little love for each other.
Maybe that congeniality could be the new model for interaction on calguns. We could also look at the grace with which Alan Gottlieb disagrees with his most vociferous opponents.

Ok, quickly now, back to the topic :

This decision may be all the cover that the Il legislature needs to finally act on shall-issue. if they're smart, they'll just do it and blame it on the court, if they must.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 12-11-2012, 1:50 PM

Quote:
I was responding prematurely to the language that described the NY statute as more moderate than the Illinois ban. Having read the decision, I see that the majority was disapproving (is a bit gently) of the NY decision. I do wish the criticism were more forceful, but at least the panel's disagreement is in the text.
No worries. I thought I may have missed something. I'm still elated over this great victory. I think this decision will help inform the 9th Cir. in Peruta and Richards. I am optimistic (and praying) that we win in the 9th.

Ten months ago I speculated that we had a decent chance to win carry in the Appellate Courts. It sure feels good to have another win.

Old 12-11-2012, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
The antis have at least one card to play from my estimation. Without a state shall issue law, I think Chicago can create their own ccw system, which would only pretend to be fair. The pro gunnies need to get the shall issue law passed with language to prevent that, unless I'm wrong.
I believe you are correct. Illinois has a system of home rule units, where cities and counties that are sufficiently large are given a huge amount of power over their jurisdictions. The state can only overrule their laws by passing legislation that specifically applies to home rule units with 3/5 majority in both houses of the legislature.
Old 12-11-2012, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
I believe you are correct. Illinois has a system of home rule units, where cities and counties that are sufficiently large are given a huge amount of power over their jurisdictions. The state can only overrule their laws by passing legislation that specifically applies to home rule units with 3/5 majority in both houses of the legislature.
Yeah, knowing what we know I don't think the NRA will let that fly. They are going to establish state preemption of some sort whether it's just for concealed carry or gun laws in general. They have almost all the power now. As long as they have 51% of the votes in at least the senate or the house then they could just refuse to vote on any bill that doesn't include the right reforms and I think they might have that 51% that will support major pro-gun reforms.

Quote:
^
Old 12-11-2012, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just can't believe how awesome this decision is. The panel squarely dealt with the second amendment. No dancing around the issue, no coy tactics. It is pure 2A awesomeness. There is no doubt in my mind that this case is the biggest win we have had since 2010 in McDonald. It's pure joy. I'd quote some of it for you, but it's an easy read and everyone should take time to read it. It's not written in legalese.

Big congrats to David Sigale and SAF. Whoo Hoo!

Yes, it IS written so that an Ordinary Mortal can read/understand it. That's pretty unusual for an Appellate Court.

And, yes, it is especially gratifying that it was a pure a 2A case. No dancing around at all.

As for references to Kachalski, it delivered as big a smack-down to the 2nd Circuit as one Circuit gets with another. Clearly written to be a Circuit split. Which we're going to have & need.

Because all of the speculation about what kind of law the Ill. legislature will write is meaningless. Rahm is the mayor & so Rahm will make the decision as to whether to appeal or not. You can bet your lungs on it; he'll appeal. Which (as was the case with Heller & McDonald) is going to be a good thing for us.

The reasoning here may or may not help with the PRK carry cases. Nothing here is binding, but it is persuasive. If the 9th goes along, we'll still have a split because of the 2nd Circuit.

There's not a lot of time for anything to affect the reciprocity Bill. But, it MAY provide 'cover' to those on the fence IF it does come to a vote.

I especially liked the bit about how the other 49 states do things. Nothing here will matter to the PRK legislature, but the gong has been sounded; crap that applies in one state only ain't gonna fly for much longer.

Its not often that that I laugh out loud while reading Appellate Court Opinions, but this one giot me doing so twice: I'm with randomBytes in liking the reference to slashing a "Santa with Elves" painting. But my favorite was the reference to sex on the sidewalk. THAT one is definite keeper. It supported the logic of that part of the Finding AND was real damn funny.

The Raisuli

Now, where is KCBrown to tell us all why this is really just a massive loss?

WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
Old 12-11-2012, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

What an unmititgated win this was! As IrishPirate has already said - SUCK IT ANTIS. This is the smackdown we've all been waiting for since Heller. All those *****footing lower courts, all those let downs and 1-steps-forward-and-3-steps-back, all those lying, conniving, cowardly anti-gun judges - and finally a panel steps up and stops the BS. How is it that only the 7th circuit has judges with integrity??

Good lord, I feel great. What a great day!

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 12-11-2012, 2:10 PM

Earlier in the thread someone posted that Hawaii dismissed. But I see some evidence that plaintiff in the Hawaii case has filed supplemental authority citing Moore v. Madigan. So, any confirmation on the dismissal?
Old 12-11-2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
Yeah, knowing what we know I don't think the NRA will let that fly. They are going to establish state preemption of some sort whether it's just for concealed carry or gun laws in general. They have almost all the power now. As long as they have 51% of the votes in at least the senate or the house then they could just refuse to vote on any bill that doesn't include the right reforms and I think they might have that 51% that will support major pro-gun reforms.
I agree, and I would think there are plenty of legislators from outside the major cities who would want shall issue over no permit needed. I just hope the pro-gun side doesn't over play their cards trying to hold out for more than they can get, and in doing so allows Chicago to go back to their old tricks.

For their sake at least, I don't live there.

(on a side note, I just saw in my work e-mail the title "IT Alert: Illinois Office" and for some reason checked it in case it was relevant lol, nope just internal stuff haha)

Last edited by stix213; 12-11-2012 at 2:19 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 2:17 PM

Default Only chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_D View Post
I'd be suprised if Illinois didn't go the way of CA and have a CCW statute in name only for all intents and purposes.
As a resident of the state of Illinois (only stationed in Ca).

They can draft legislation all day but outside of Chicago sheriffs will grant CCW all day long. Back when they tried to make it a law the had the full support of most of the sheriffs outside of Chicago and even volunteered to hold trial CCW's in Peoria (central IL).

Rock On !!!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Folks,

-Gene

That's my take as well.

So, being that this is how things work, I have a question for all those gloating about how gunnies can now force the Ill. legislature to write a decent "Shall Issue" CCW law:

Why would you want to? No new law on the books means that Constitutional Carry becomes the law of the land in the Land of Lincoln. Giving Ill. residents the freest possible exercise of the Right. Why on earth would any decent gunnie want anything less than that?

The Raisuli

WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
Old 12-11-2012, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

We may not, but legislators will.
Old 12-11-2012, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulay El Raisuli View Post
That's my take as well.

So, being that this is how things work, I have a question for all those gloating about how gunnies can now force the Ill. legislature to write a decent "Shall Issue" CCW law:

Why would you want to? No new law on the books means that Constitutional Carry becomes the law of the land in the Land of Lincoln. Giving Ill. residents the freest possible exercise of the Right. Why on earth would any decent gunnie want anything less than that?

The Raisuli
It's all about what the Antis want to give us. FOID + virtual constitutional carry is now the default choice if they don't get a bill passed. We might be able to trade constitutional carry for permitted carry, but get rid of FOID cards, or enact pre-emption, or whatever else we want. At this point, if the Antis balk, all we have to do is remind them that if no bill is passed, we get universal permitless carry for FOID holders. It's all about what they're willing to do to avoid that, and we'll find out soon enough!
Old 12-11-2012, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's my take as well.

The Raisuli
Because perhaps without the legislated protection of a CCW there would be things like a rash of "disturbing the peace" arrests by Chicago PD as retribution. Just a thought. Do you really trust them to respect the right when it's now just in a completely undefined, nebulous state?

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 12-11-2012, 2:31 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimeo View Post
IL is not the most anti-gun state. It does contain perhaps the most anti-gun metro area, but statewide, there's a pro-gun majority.
That's NOT what their laws or voting record indicate.
Old 12-11-2012, 2:33 PM
Mostly Harmless

This just arrived in my mailbox from NRL-ILA:

"The National Rifle Association is funding this case. The Illinois State Rifle Association is a co-plaintiff in this case."

What was SAF's involvement?
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 12-11-2012, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Why on earth would any decent gunnie want anything less than that?
This is politics. Everybody in the Il legislature has their own little chess game going, and guns are only one little piece of that. To the legislators, this ruling is a big pile of trading stock, and they are working up their letters to Santa right now.

What I'm saying is a legislator is going to get more of what *he* wants by horsetrading a little while assembling a bill.
Old 12-11-2012, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not really. They were separate cases litigating the same thing but in different district courts within IL. However they were combined on appeal. Moore was an SAF funded case and Shepard was an NRA/ISRA funded case if it matters to you.
Nos. 12-1269, 12-1788
MICHAEL MOORE, et al., and
MARY E. SHEPARD, et al.,
Plaintiffs-Appellants,

vs.

LISA MADIGAN, ATTORNEY GENERAL
OF ILLINOIS, et al.,
Defendants-Appellees.
Appeals from the United States District Courts for the
Central District of Illinois and the Southern District of Illinois.
Nos. 3:11-cv-3134-SEM-BGC and 3:11-cv-405-WDS-PMF—
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

"The National Rifle Association is funding this case. The Illinois State Rifle Association is a co-plaintiff in this case."

See the quote above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 12-11-2012, 2:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

On 5/12/11, SAF filed and funded the case Moore v. Madigan http://ia600603.us.archive.org/14/it...15.docket.html. On 5/13/11, NRA filed a similar case, Shepard v. Madigan. Both cases were addressed in today's opinion (at http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/moo...2012-12-11.pdf).

Alan Gura's oral argument at CA7: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/moo...2012-06-08.mp3

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-11-2012, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Default interesting, what if.

Quote:
Folks,

-Gene
I don't see Illinois not trying to go en-banc, if for no other reason than to stall.

Let's say they see the writing on the wall and just figure it is a lost cause, isn't Judge Posner the Chief Justice of the 7th, and they don't appeal, now what?

What if our side did nothing for 181 days except say no unless the carry bill was really good, then the state would be in non compliance.

So, here is my question.

If the court didn't tell Illinois outright that their weapon's carry bans are now void, could someone file a injunction against their enforcement under the following terms.

Individuals who have any of the following can carry loaded openly or concealed.

1. A firearms owners ID card.
2. Valid CCW permit from any state.

Sensitive zones will be defined as the following.

Secure areas of airports
Jails, prisons, court houses,
Legislative bodies,
School grounds with exception of parking lots so that parents can pick up and drop of children. School employees can store personal arms in their cars.

Schools defined as K to 12, not universities or colleges.

Private businesses can make establishments no carry and they can ask people who are armed to leave. Refusal to leave then becomes tress pass.

Require that carriers notify police officers that they are armed if their is an encounter.
Allow police to verify with probable cause that a person is not a prohibited person..

Still allow enforcement of all gun laws related to criminals.

Nicki
Old 12-11-2012, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
I don't see Illinois not trying to go en-banc, if for no other reason than to stall.

Let's say they see the writing on the wall and just figure it is a lost cause, isn't Judge Posner the Chief Justice of the 7th, and they don't appeal, now what?

What if our side did nothing for 181 days except say no unless the carry bill was really good, then the state would be in non compliance.

So, here is my question.

If the court didn't tell Illinois outright that their weapon's carry bans are now void, could someone file a injunction against their enforcement under the following terms.

Individuals who have any of the following can carry loaded openly or concealed.

1. A firearms owners ID card.
2. Valid CCW permit from any state.

Sensitive zones will be defined as the following.

Secure areas of airports
Jails, prisons, court houses,
Legislative bodies,
School grounds with exception of parking lots so that parents can pick up and drop of children. School employees can store personal arms in their cars.

Schools defined as K to 12, not universities or colleges.

Private businesses can make establishments no carry and they can ask people who are armed to leave. Refusal to leave then becomes tress pass.

Require that carriers notify police officers that they are armed if their is an encounter.
Allow police to verify with probable cause that a person is not a prohibited person..

Still allow enforcement of all gun laws related to criminals.

Nicki
You forgot, "The mere carrying of a firearm by a permit holder in non-sensitive places (as defined by this bill) shall never be considered a crime, including that of disturbing the peace." Or something like that.

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 12-11-2012, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
I'm not sure that is something they would want to do. After all, the en banc court might not be as kind as was the current panel. . . It depends on how they see the rest of the court acting if they try to go en banc.

And since the current panel gave them the 180 days to fix their laws, the en banc court might figure that if they rule within 120 days that Illinois only gets another 60 days to fix their laws? This could be a very difficult thing for them.

Quote:
So, here is my question.

If the court didn't tell Illinois outright that their weapon's carry bans are now void.
I may not be on point on this one, but my brief response is that the court did tell the State of Illinois that their carry ban is void. But they get to act as if it is not void for another 180 days so that they will not be without a legal/regulatory schema in order to deal with the carry issue.

I'm probably not saying it right. . . But the law was found to be unconstitutional and thus has been struck down.

If you buy something on credit you owe the money immediately. But according to the terms you may not actually have to make a payment for several months and you may not have to finally make good on the full amount due for years. But you owe the money immediately.
Old 12-11-2012, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
And since the current panel gave them the 180 days to fix their laws, the en banc court might figure that if they rule within 120 days that Illinois only gets another 60 days to fix their laws?
Does that mean ff they decide to go for en-banc, it means they are confident they can win at minimum an injunction on the 180 limit and/or some sort of guarantee of the clock being put on hold?
Old 12-11-2012, 3:26 PM

So...someone explain to me how it is that Illinois gets the honest judges, when you consider the pool from which they're selected?
"It is a ghastly but tenable proposition that the world is now ruled by the insane, whose increasing plurality will, in a few more generations, make probable the incarceration of all sane people born among them."--Clark Ashton Smith
"Every time a pro-terrorist Tranzi hangs, an angel gets his wings."--Tom Kratman
Old 12-11-2012, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

DeFacto constitutional carry if they dont agree on restrictions? Muahahaha brady is peeing their pants right now.
Old 12-11-2012, 3:36 PM
Administrator

Someone asked if Chicago could create its own prohibition.

I don't think so.

The original complaint asked for
Quote:
1. This action for deprivation of civil rights under color of law challenges Illinois’ statutory prohibitions on “Unlawful Use of Weapons” (720 ILCS 5/24-1) and “Aggravated Unlawful Use of Weapons” (720 ILCS 5/24-1.6) to the extent that they prohibit otherwise qualified private citizens from carrying handguns for the purpose of self-defense.
Presuming later proceedings did not substantially modify that request (haven't read the whole set), todays's opinion would include two significant parts of Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/Art. 24
Quote:
Sec. 24-1.6. Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon when he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries on or about his or her person or in any
vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person except when on his or her land or in his or her abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm; or

(2) Carries or possesses on or about his or her
person, upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town, except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his or her own land or in his or her own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm; and
(3) One of the following factors is present:
(A) the firearm possessed was uncased, loaded and immediately accessible at the time of the offense; or
(B) the firearm possessed was uncased, unloaded and the ammunition for the weapon was immediately accessible at the time of the offense; or
The very specific and inclusive language of (2) suggests that this is assumed by the legislature to be a state-law issue; I don't see anything like 'the Legislature intends to occupy the whole field of the regulation of the carry of weapons' so I can't be more assertive on the point. (Such language might be somewhere, but I don't see it; IL law is not my specialty.)

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-11-2012 at 3:40 PM..