Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-29-2017, 7:19 PM

**update** I wanted a multi purpose gun. For 20 gauge, didn't want to drop too much $$, but still something nice. Shot a couple different shotguns this week ( Citori/Condor Supreme/Stevens) These belong to the range. Anways, after handing the CZ redhead, it felt right for both the wife and me. Purchased it today.
I'm saving some cash for my own dedicated 12 gauge. Though unclear if I will get another CZ or go the Browning/Beretta route. Time will tell. For now excited to shoot the CZ when I can pick it up from my FFL.

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 09-29-2017, 8:48 PM

The Redhead should serve you well for many years...ENJOY!!!
Be glad you didn't choose the Condor. A friend of mine bought one, it broke and needed to be replaced in less than 1 month. The replacement was on better, broken and needed to be replacement in less than 1 month...He said no and demanded a refund, they agreed.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Why do you think that you have to retire it? Is it because of how it is choked?
I am getting an Ithaca/SKB 280 and I will probably shoot some steel through it. It is choked IC/IC.
SKB 280s are good stuff. I have one in a 20ga, with the 25" barrels. The only thing that I have changed on it was adding a Kick-Eez pad. Kills clays and birds deader than heck. Mine is choked M/F, though.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
The barrels are thin walled, choked M/F and chrome lined. It was manufactured in about 1971. I called Briley a few years ago and was told retrofitting chokes would "difficult" (I took that as a "no").

Your 280 may be rated for steel, but I would check first.
Interesting. I have a Garcia era 12g Beretta (BL2), I had Briley put thinwall chokes in. The barrels were too thin for any other aftermarket choke. It was marked M/F but in reality it was F/XF.

I had them install thinwalls in a Garcia era Beretta 20g Silver hawk too, but it had enough meat. It had been choked F/F.

Turned a couple of relics back into shooters.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 09-30-2017, 3:56 PM

I think the chrome lining was part of the issue. Great for shooting and cleaning, but apparently it does not tap well. Some barrels in this model are just too thin. You have to send them back there to find out for sure.

Briley has gotten godawful expensive too - like $500-$600 for threading an O/U plus 5 chokes. Think I will just save this one for out of state hunts