Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 01-26-2019, 7:24 PM

Default 2019 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 4 (Friday, Jan 25, 2019)

2019 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 4 (Friday, Jan 25, 2019)

See intro comments/context at the beginning of the Day 1 post. To Day 4…

NNs/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) – Alexander Arms, Annealing Made Perfect/AMP, Best Dxx Gun, Big Horn, Dillon Precision, Eberlestock, Fierce, Harris (bipods), Howell Munitions, Innovative Arms, IR&D, JP Enterprises, Kowa, MagnetoSpeed, Precision Hardcore, PPU, Target Vision, Snowy Mountain Rifles, and Western Powders.

Accuracy Solutions – was showing their F.A.S.T chassis (the “F” stands for Eduardo Abril de Fontcuberta, who the chassis was designed “with” – he’s the “head” of the Ko2M); decoded, it’s a McRee Precision chassis with an integrated, very robust version, of their BipodeXt (Archimedes lever) extended bipod; initially available in both Rem 700 LA and Savage LA inlets, CT and 50 BMG action inlet versions will be available by Summer; initial models available in early April for under $1000, $1200ish for the CT/BMG models. Pics (see News page – the grip is standard AR fitment but is not the one to be shipped with this chassis). They were also showing a shrouded, front-exhaust muzzle brake, which they will be importing from Sogaard & Nicholson/S&N of Denmark – available in 338 LM- and CT-capable models at approx $200, available in Mar. See https://www.sogaard-nicholson.com/mo...auPuoq19CQ6j28

Accu-Tac – advised that they have made a bipod line update (actually a replacement – all but the 50 cal model), adding several feature improvements; the new models are identified with a “G2” in the model name, see http://www.accu-tac.com/bipods); they also advised that an ARCA mount is coming in March [Buyers – if you like the new specs, watch for the “G2” ID in the seller’s description and on the part.]

AG Composites – advised about their new “Gunner” model (not on display), compared to their Apline Hunter, there are angular/linear features on the buttstock and forearm and the forearm is about 1” longer; sorry, missed availability, please call

Athlon Optics – advised that they have added a new reticle for their Cronus BTR 4.5-29×56 scope, see https://athlonoptics.com/product/cro...s1-ffp-ir-mil/

Blackwater Ammunition/BWA – (on Thursday) I was very privileged to speak with Mr. Nicola Bandini, Founder Partner and CEO of Blackwater Ammunition. We spoke regarding a cartridge shown in one of the new Blackwater Ammunition "catalogs", the "10x100 BWA". Suffice to say, after speaking with him, it appeared he would probably have preferred that it not have been pictured or captioned in anything available for public consumption. This cartridge is part of a firearms "ecosystem" (my word, not his) that might well be a game-changer for ELR and other extreme distance "application" shooting. Beyond my pinioning, Mr. Bandini was kind enough to allow me to post that he expects to field the entire ecosystem (in-house-developed, commercially-available, rifle thru ammunition offerings) by or at SHOT Show 2020. That's all I was told it is OK to say...for now. Stay tuned as I hope to post "updates" as development progresses.

Dave Manson Reamers – advised that they have reamers, in stock, for the Tubb 33XC and 37XC.

Explorer Cases – was showing their new long rifle case, #13513 (53 1/8 interior length), available now, see https://kodiakdefence.com/Tactical-Sniper-Rifle.php

Kodiak Defense – a new (to me) rifle builder out of Canada, offers a 338 LM build, the “Talon Sniper .338 Lapua Magnum Weapon System”, see https://kodiakdefence.com/Tactical-Sniper-Rifle.php

MOA Rifles – advised that they have added the 338 LM Ackley Improved (AI) chambering option for their Extreme series rifles.

NECO/QuickLOAD – a 12/31/18 data update is available to QL owners, it adds a 12/18 CEB bullet data update and powder-description additions (“C”, for copper fowling reducing and/or “T”, for temp sensitivity reduction capabilities of that powder). There are also some added powders for shooters in Europe (powders not typically available in the US). NOTE: David Tubb, when pulsed on NECO’s recommendation not to use “Tubb Dust” with “C”-identified powders, David replied (by e-mail), “I would use it with ALL.”

Noreen Firearms – I spoke at length with Phillip Noreen, President of Noreen, regarding their new “ELR” rifle. [YES, that rifle was already on my News page back on 1/12, and posted about on forums. However, given some “responses” posted on SH, I felt more coverage was appropriate.] This rifle is based on a DLC-coated, McMillan TAC 50-clone action with Noreen-sourced and chambered barrel, in a Cadex or XLR chassis. Rifles will be available chambered in .50 BMG, .50 DTC, .416 Barrett, .375 or .408 CT, and 338 LM. They will be offering both rifles and stand-alone actions. Of note, the bolt is one-piece in 9310 (not identified on their product page). The rifles will run approx $6500 with the Cadex chassis and $5500 with the XLR chassis. Target pricing for the action is under $2000. They will also be offering billet 6061 aluminum magazines, clones of the McMillan, for approx $250, available in April. I asked Phillip whether they might offer customers the option to go sans-barrel (giving customers to opportunity to source barrel and chambering elsewhere), and he said they probably would. Pic and info at https://onlylongrange.com/elr-bolt-action-rifle/

Northrop/Grumman (Lake City) – St. Marks Powder/SMP and Northrop/Grumman both had booths at SHOT, looking for major-players in the ammo world. In speaking with the Lake City rep I was told that they already have a “Match” line of .50 BMG ammo (M33 variant) in production (for a non-commercial customer). They said it shoots “2-3” mean radius groups at 600 yards” and that, in that rep’s opinion, the associated brass is as good as Lapua or RWS. I asked whether a new customer (2+ million rounds/year and up) could option for 100K of their order in “match”…said they probably could. The idea being to showcase the customer and provide that customer a second-front sell opportunity. I also passed along the suggestion that they check with the editor of FCSA’s Very High Power/VHP magazine on doing an article on that ammo…and their “claims”. He took down the booth number and sounded interested in pursuing. We’ll see.

Trigger Tech – advised there will be a two-stage version of their R700 model by Summer.

Ultimatum Precision – advised that their 338 LM bolt face action is now looking like Summer (2019); it will be a line extension of their approx .820” body diameter, 3-bolt-lug action design – a very nice design with tight tolerances and no lug raceways (uses the bolt release internal protrusion, and a corresponding slot in the bolt body, for alignment). See pics of the pre-338 LM version at https://www.ultimatumprecision.ca/pr...eadline-action

Velocity Triggers - advised that their R700 trigger is now (best guess) May.
ELR - anything shorter is point blank.

Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA), Webmaster and Marketing Assistant
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 01-31-2019, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the updates Oscar!