Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
Would a riser mount make the Burris ff3 cowitness?
Too high already so more would not help.
Old 06-02-2018, 8:09 AM

My Aimpoint 2000 died some time back. I was informed they do not service anything over 10 years old.

I will not buy another one.

Replaced it with a Vortex.
Old 06-02-2018, 8:34 AM

K., I have only seen a prototype and do not know what the finished product of the SuperDot will look like. I have been asked a lot so there are definitely others interested as well. Certainly, the trucolor, 15,000 hours of battery life and 5-year warranty are big pluses for both products. I promise to pass along info on the SuperDot when I get some.
Old 07-12-2018, 5:42 PM

Just got a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 XDR for $179 brand new on E-Bay. My brother has the 5 X model and it's a great Red Dot sight and uses one AAA battery which can be changed without removing the sight. I also have a Holosun sight on my AR and will see which one of the two I like better. The XDR has a dot and a 65moa circle around the dot. You can choose which you want to use. I like the dot within the circle myself.
Old 07-12-2018, 6:59 PM

I'm a sucker for trying cheap crap once in a while, just to see what happens.
For $18, I'm having a Bush nell TRS-25 shipped from China for my first gen PC9.
Yes, it's split into two words.

I suspect that it will be plastic magnifying glasses with a painted oval dot taped to a flat black toilet paper tube, but I have been surprised before.
Old 07-12-2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Bushnell TRS-25 for $50?

If you must, the Vortex Viper and Venom are excellent choices, although they are bottom mount for batteries.
The venom is not a bottom mount battery.

I had a bushnell 25 on an AR in the past. Was not wowed, but for the price was not disappointed either. I've been waiting for the venom in 6 moa to come back in stock but maybe another bushnell is worth a shot. You guys are making me think.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:57 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quite a few of our customer's have bought the Vortex Crossfire Red Dot for their Ruger PCC 9's
sales@cstactical.com
916-670-1103

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 07-26-2018, 3:36 PM

That E-Bay Chinese Bush nell TRS-25 came in.

It's either an actual Bushnell, or the best clone I've ever seen.
The fit and finish is immaculate, no scratches on anything that I can find.
The dot is crisp, bright, and round.
I'm kind of wondering if it's actually a refurbished unit.

1/2 the price of a TRS anywhere else.
Old 07-26-2018, 6:54 PM

Works for me.
Going to get another one for my shotgun, maybe another couple just because I might need one for a future rifle.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:02 PM

Welp, finally got all the rails and junk and stuff needed to get this Bush Nell mounted on my first gen PC9.
FAIL.
Not enough MOA adjust to even come close with a generously varied cheek weld.
However. . . It plopped right on my Mossy 500 BullPup Unlimited, and was zeroed in 3 clicks.
Imma call that a gamble won, and never buy one again.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:24 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Bushnell TRS-25 for $50?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aye_dre View Post
nothing against the TRS-25 but my budget allows me to get something a bit nicer
Get something nicer, and sturdier.

I installed a TRS-25 on a Taccom rear optic sight mount, the red dot base came
loose after 100 rds - but worked well at 50 yds; some locktite blue was needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 08-11-2018, 7:40 AM

Default Nikon's SuperDot

I just ordered one and should have it late soon I hope. Backordered so apparently I'm not the only one who can't wait to try it out. Stopped By my local big box retailer and they had some but are sold out now. Under $200 gotta love the price.
Now I just need to decide what to put it on, handgun, shotgun, 9mm AR....?
Old 08-13-2018, 12:04 PM

Don't forget about the coupon code POPULAR on eBay (I think it's still active). I picked up a Trijicon 1x25mm MRO with co-witness mount for about $300.

Can't wait to try it out on the PC9.
Old 08-13-2018, 1:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Using the EBAY code, you can get a Nikon Spur shipped for $184. Not from all vendors, but definitely from BOTACH. $32 off.
Old 08-14-2018, 6:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Cabela's finally started carrying the Nikon Spur as well. If you collect rewards dollars plus gift cards, plus AJ, you could get it really cheap there.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/NIKO...9.uts?slotId=0
Old 08-18-2018, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nikon SPUR RDS is pretty nice. Here's a few pics compared to the Fast Fire III. SPUR also has a line painted on the housing on the rear, but not bright white like the FF3 - more beige. Nikon PIC mount is Picatiny only (would not fit on my WEAVER RAIL on a Mossberg 930 that has a FF3 on it. The notch is too slim on the Weaver to allow the Nikon to seat. That might be something important if you want to move these around. Nikon includes a nice tool with plastic (non-marring) battery cap tool on one end and a retractable flat head on the other for zeroing. No chance you scratch up the cap or lens with this thoughtful inclusion. Nikon is wider than the FF3 display and a tiny bit shorter. Seems to sit higher than the FF3 but view is a bit lower as pictured.

Nice RDS.

Box

Battery tool

No Go on a cheap Weaver rail.

Fits great on Ruger PC Carbine Pic Rail

Looking through the SPUR at the FF3
Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So my Nikon SPUR did end up on a PC Carbine. Because of the SPUR mount it would not fit my Ruger MKII MGW rail, so I ended up moving the FF3 to the MKII and put the SPUR on the PCC.

Definitely, that is an annoyance IMHO.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTactical View Post
Quite a few of our customer's have bought the Vortex Crossfire Red Dot for their Ruger PCC 9's
This is what I will be putting on mine, I have the SPARC on an AK and a couple of AR’s with Strikfires on them a gen 1 and a gen 2. I’ve had them for years and they just keep working great.

I will say a Primary Arms red dot would be a great choice also, I’ve got one of theirs also and it works great too.
Old 08-21-2018, 8:04 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
This is what I will be putting on mine, I have the SPARC on an AK and a couple of AR’s with Strikfires on them a gen 1 and a gen 2. I’ve had them for years and they just keep working great.

I will say a Primary Arms red dot would be a great choice also, I’ve got one of theirs also and it works great too.

We have open box display models going for great prices as well! https://www.cstactical.com/open-box-and-demo-items.aspx
sales@cstactical.com
916-670-1103

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 08-21-2018, 11:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
I have one RD-1 on a Sig522, but I am swapping it with a freed up TRS-25... I will put the RD-1 back on the included riser and use on an AR.
Old 08-21-2018, 8:36 PM
Banned

Just a heads up. You can get authentic Trijcon RMRs from $289.99-$436 BNIB.

This is every one they offer and that’s type 1 and type 2s. All below Optic Planets best prices. You have to be a member and they are out of Florida but I have not found any place cheaper.

For me there is no need to go cheap. Spend $350 and get the RMR you want. Or buy used from $200-$300.

At military exchanges the Sig Romeo 1 I saw yesterday for $236 with no tax. Also Docters are $286 bnib. So there are choices out there with good pricing and not the outrageous bull**** prices you see local shops in California trying to charge .

Pm me if you want the site.

Right now everyday pricing on a type 2 Trijicon RMR 3.25 moa optic is $404 will no tax and free shipping. They run a special and you can use a coupon code and get the same RMR for $289.99. Again way better than $599 that California shops charge.

I am sorry a lot of you have paid retail or over $600 for an RMR but remember COST is $289.

Last edited by Endless; 08-21-2018 at 8:42 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 5:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Just a heads up. You can get authentic Trijcon RMRs from $289.99-$436 BNIB.
Another way to look at it is that there is lots of value in a sight like a Crossfire RD-1, SPARC AR, Fast Fire III, the brand new Holosun Micros, Nikon Spur, etc...

Just look at the RMR that doesn't even come with a plate to seal the PCB and battery compartment... let alone a mount or even a cover. You do get that cool Pelican style case you never use though. Other brands are half the cost and come with covers, seal plates, two mount heights in the box, flip caps, see through rain shields, etc... my three RMR's came naked and that's ok mounting them on Glocks, but what if I wanted to put one on a shotgun or elsewhere? Included low mounts are a big deal. Even on the MOS Glocks I bought seal plate/screw kits. My MRO I bought with a AR mount, but there is no cover. A rubber cover that is a GIMME on a vortex or Burris costs $50. Even a Aimpoint PRO has two mount heights with a great self-torquing mount and flip caps in the package. Guess what micro RDS fails a lot at the range ? RMR's. Why do you think there are so many REVS. Just IMHO. I like the Trijicon tactical operator mystique too, just saying... a FastfireIII or Vortex whatever is great value and don't be shocked if your RMR isn't bullet proof. I could nitpick any of my RDS, especially Trij... not AIMPOINT though
Old 08-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Another way to look at it is that there is lots of value in a sight like a Crossfire RD-1, SPARC AR, Fast Fire III, the brand new Holosun Micros, Nikon Spur, etc...

Just look at the RMR that doesn't even come with a plate to seal the PCB and battery compartment... let alone a mount or even a cover. You do get that cool Pelican style case you never use though. Other brands are half the cost and come with covers, seal plates, two mount heights in the box, flip caps, see through rain shields, etc... my three RMR's came naked and that's ok mounting them on Glocks, but what if I wanted to put one on a shotgun or elsewhere? Included low mounts are a big deal. Even on the MOS Glocks I bought seal plate/screw kits. My MRO I bought with a AR mount, but there is no cover. A rubber cover that is a GIMME on a vortex or Burris costs $50. Even a Aimpoint PRO has two mount heights with a great self-torquing mount and flip caps in the package. Guess what micro RDS fails a lot at the range ? RMR's. Why do you think there are so many REVS. Just IMHO. I like the Trijicon tactical operator mystique too, just saying... a FastfireIII or Vortex whatever is great value and don't be shocked if your RMR isn't bullet proof. I could nitpick any of my RDS, especially Trij... not AIMPOINT though
They have EVERYTHING at cost, including the products you're talking about. Its not just Trijicon, its MOST brands. I think the Fast Fire 3 is like $160-$193 BNIB and they throw in a rail mount for another $35. Not sure if thats cheap as I have never bought a Fast Fire 3 or picatinny rail mount. The Holosun Micros are under $200 as well. Nikon Spur is like $170 bucks. They have a tactical version as well for $173.99. Again, I dont know if those are good prices. OK so I just looked at most vendors online the Spur is $215+. So thats a decent discount.

The type 2 Trijicon RMR 3.25 MOA optic is $404. Thats what I have been getting emails about. So I put up the price.

I also have emailed the links to members that have PMd me and Youtube reviews by a respectable gun guy and thats all they use as well.

Lastly again I want to add that every once in awhile you get a really good discount I believe with a coupon code and you can walk out the door paying $289 for the same $404 RMR. Obviously they sell out quick but they have hundreds of them at the time of sale. But everyday prices start at $358 for Trijicon RMRs.

Last edited by Endless; 08-22-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Old 08-22-2018, 11:48 AM

I just bought Nikon's SuperDot, I think I'll start with it on my Ruger 22/45 and then go from there. Looks like a great little Reddot and should work as expected.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
They have EVERYTHING at cost, including the products you're talking about. Its not just Trijicon, its MOST brands. I think the Fast Fire 3 is like $160-$193 BNIB and they throw in a rail mount for another $35. Not sure if thats cheap as I have never bought a Fast Fire 3 or picatinny rail mount.

I also have emailed the links to members that have PMd me and Youtube reviews by a respectable gun guy and thats all they use as well.
Sounds good to me. I will check them out. The best deal on the FF3's are when Burris gives them away free for buying another Burris product... like a AR536 scope for $265 including a free FF3... $135 per optic or so it good. My first one was free and another was about $140 with 20% off Cabelas GC and 10% AJ. Crossfire RD-1 I think I paid for half with Club Rewards. Got the RMR's and MRO similarly. Gotta love a bargain.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Using the EBAY code, you can get a Nikon Spur shipped for $184. Not from all vendors, but definitely from BOTACH. $32 off.
Both the tactical and normal Spurs go less everyday.
$170.

Last edited by Endless; 08-22-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I will check them out. The best deal on the FF3's are when Burris gives them away free for buying another Burris product... like a AR536 scope for $265 including a free FF3... $135 per optic or so it good. My first one was free and another was about $140 with 20% off Cabelas GC and 10% AJ. Crossfire RD-1 I think I paid for half with Club Rewards. Got the RMR's and MRO similarly. Gotta love a bargain.
Cant beat that. Got to love deals that give you free stuff. I wont complain!

Yeah check them out. I didnt believe they were that cheap then I signed up and saw the discounts. They can undercut most if not all vendors online and local shops.

BTW I sent you a PM with info.

Lastly they did send out a sale/coupon code today but unfortunately this time it’s for silencers and lowers.

Last edited by Endless; 08-22-2018 at 1:24 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 2:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Both the tactical and normal Spurs go less everyday.
$170.
That's a great price for no waiting or effort collecting gift cards or waiting for AJ kickback.

A lot of people are spoiled by 20% off Cabela's Gift Card hoarding, but now that it is not as easy to order ammo people don't use them as much. I still think it is worth it to plan ahead and get 20% off plus 7% or 10% even 15% more via Active Junky, stack rewards on top of that, and you can pay whatever you want for a Nikon Spur or whatever.

Starting at $220 for a SPUR - 30%... you buy it for $154 plus shipping unless it is a Club Code day where everything is another 10% off shipped free. Subtract any rewards bucks you might have, pay tax. I could get one right now for $120 shipped.

So if I join that site I'll have to be in buying mode for certain items with no rewards or gift cards saved, but the monthly fee seems reasonable. They probably carry brands that Cabela's doesn't have, but I didn't see Vortex listed.

How much is a Leupold Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50mm CCH FFP ?
Old 08-22-2018, 2:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
They can undercut most if not all vendors online and local shops.
Do they add tax into an order?
Old 08-28-2018, 1:36 AM

I have been checking out reviews of the Sig Romeo5 and may grab the bundle that includes the Juliet3 magnifier.

https://www.heartoftexasarmory.com/s...o5juliet3combo
Old 08-30-2018, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nikon has a new tube RDS too... P -Tactical Super Dot. Barand new so the prices are up there near MSRP, but under $200. Also Athlon has one that looks interesting around the same price as the Sig's and Crossfires, etc... Lots of options. I want ot see some reviews on the new Holosun micro heads-up (RMR/FF3) style sights.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Nikon SuperDot

Crufflers, You are correct on Nikon's new SuperDot. I just bought one and haven't mounted it up yet. I will definitely pass along my experiences with it once I figure out what I am going to put it on. Should be big fun getting it dialed in and I am sure if all goes well my son will commandeer it from me for hog hunting.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
I just bought Nikon's SuperDot, I think I'll start with it on my Ruger 22/45 and then go from there. Looks like a great little Reddot and should work as expected.
Just saw the Super Dot on Cabela's site. Your previous post makes sense now seeing the RDS.

What are you going to test it side-by-side with?
Old 08-31-2018, 6:28 AM

I do not plan on testing it against anything else, I will most likely put it on 3 different firearms, AR, shotgun and Desert Eagle and see which one I like it on the best. I thought about getting the Spur and I still may but I need the right plate for my G34. I have another manufacturer reflex on a G17 that I tolerate.
As soon as temps get into the low 90's I will get this done.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
I have another manufacturer reflex on a G17 that I tolerate.
As soon as temps get into the low 90's I will get this done.
Must be a Trijicon, hahah. Mine actually work great on Glocks with the seal plate but I had a few issues on a PPQ that has no seal plate.

Looking forward to the review.
Old 11-18-2018, 9:35 PM

@endless - would you mind PMing the info on that site? Am currently researching/shopping for a red dot for my PCC.

@crufflers - how are you liking the Nikon? Am considering the Burris style sight instead of the Holosun/Romeo cylinder style as it looks neater and less bulky.
Does the Nikon allow any level of co-witness?

cheers

Jon
Old 11-18-2018, 10:48 PM

Hard to beat the Bushnell TRS-25, I have 4 of them.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post
@endless - would you mind PMing the info on that site? Am currently researching/shopping for a red dot for my PCC.

@crufflers - how are you liking the Nikon? Am considering the Burris style sight instead of the Holosun/Romeo cylinder style as it looks neater and less bulky.

cheers

Jon
They are all about the same as far as co-witness. You will need to buy a rear sight replacement mount with rear sight relocation feature to get the co-witness. I am waiting for one too.

As far the RDS I have, I'd say, a tube style is optimal unless you do want the heads-up type then I'd go for a HOLOSUN or a BURRIS. Both come with a low mount and have better flexibility with existing mount plates for pistols if you move it later. HOLOSUN 507C is the same as a RMR. I like the reticle options on the HOLOSUN - circle, dot, circle dot.

Tube style that came with low-mounts, I have Crossfire RD-1, TRS-25... RD-1 is significantly better and costs more. I have a MRO and AIMPRO also, but they are on other rifles and I don't have low mounts to try them. I think an MRO would be nice, but larger.

Sorry not enough data on the Nikon Spur. Really not too much on the 507C either, but there are so many things I like about the 507C already I give it a pass. The low mount on the spur that won't fit weaver rails spacing and lack of pistol mount plates are significant CONS to me.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

cheers
Jon

I sent him a PM asking the same on October 26th and have received no return reply. His last post on Calguns was at the end of August so hope he's alright.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-20-2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
They are all about the same as far as co-witness. You will need to buy a rear sight replacement mount with rear sight relocation feature to get the co-witness. I am waiting for one too.

As far the RDS I have, I'd say, a tube style is optimal unless you do want the heads-up type then I'd go for a HOLOSUN or a BURRIS. Both come with a low mount and have better flexibility with existing mount plates for pistols if you move it later. HOLOSUN 507C is the same as a RMR. I like the reticle options on the HOLOSUN - circle, dot, circle dot.

Tube style that came with low-mounts, I have Crossfire RD-1, TRS-25... RD-1 is significantly better and costs more. I have a MRO and AIMPRO also, but they are on other rifles and I don't have low mounts to try them. I think an MRO would be nice, but larger.

Sorry not enough data on the Nikon Spur. Really not too much on the 507C either, but there are so many things I like about the 507C already I give it a pass. The low mount on the spur that won't fit weaver rails spacing and lack of pistol mount plates are significant CONS to me.
Thanks for the insight, @crufflers

Why do you feel the tube style is optimal? Is this due to the durability of the tube design, or more related to the dynamics of sight acquisition with a tube vs a reflex style? I am leaning more towards the reflex/Burris style as they just seem cleaner and fit into the profile of the PCC nicer.

Appreciate the advice - this is my first foray into optics.