Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 03-08-2019, 6:31 PM

Default Limb cracks?

Hello, new to archery. I just bought a recurve and have been playing with it for the past few days. I heard about limb cracking and decided to take a look. At first glance, all seems well. But when i look really closely, i see very fine lines that crawl up the limbs. I can't FEEL anything. What do you think? Anything to worry aboot? Pics linked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-03-08 19.24.31.jpg (88.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-08-2019, 9:20 PM

Check to make sure your brace height is correct. It would help to have a draw scale.
I had an issue when I was getting into trad archery. Brace height was too tall so I was reaching the bows full draw weight before I had reached my body’s full draw. The last few inches did not want to give much. I never heard cracking though. I have seen a bow break in half at a archery rendezvous, I don’t think it made any noise until it broke. I believe he modified the shelf / arrow rest himself and it was to much. He was lucky it didn’t hit him in the face.

If you are worried you can set the brace height lower to lessen the weight of the draw. You may need to change arrow spine if you go real low.
Old 03-08-2019, 9:25 PM

Don’t pull so hard

I don’t have any idea. Call Ralph at turners in fountain Valley. He will know.
Old 03-10-2019, 1:05 PM

Can't tell much from the pic, and I am a compound guy. I check my bows by rubbing a cotton ball up abd down the limbs. If the cotton catches and/or snags, take it to a reputable to have it checked over.
Old 03-10-2019, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like the same cosmetic defect I have on my ILF limbs. They shoot fine, emailed Lancaster about it They said that it was cosmetic and they gave me a partial refund for the blemish. No issues with them shooting or breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Not at all. Trump is a loser and will lose amazingly on Tuesday. It's going to be so big, we are all going to be sick and tired of how much he loses on Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Nah, no sense in replying to the personal attacks/baiting.

Last edited by mossy; 03-10-2019 at 7:55 PM..
Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 AM

I wouldn't sweat it. As others have said, run a cotton ball over it to see if any splinters are lifting. Vertical lines are pretty common. Horizontal ones are more worrisome to me. If you hear or feel a crack during the draw cycle, then definitely stop & either get it fixed or hang it up for good.