Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 01-20-2019, 8:54 PM

Default Magpul Rigger, no Idea on price yet.

Sure why not, I like the company, products, look of this knife.

https://youtu.be/tyFyn_xnzKo

It is pretty sweet.
Old 01-20-2019, 9:29 PM

Hell ya
Old 01-20-2019, 11:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I was reading somewhere this is going to be very expensive.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
I was reading somewhere this is going to be very expensive.
Read somewhere $500 first run of 300? Pass.
Old 01-21-2019, 2:16 AM

Ohh, if it's over $75 that's a hard pass for me
Old 01-21-2019, 2:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i am trying to rack my brain to think of a "collector grade" piece that magpul has ever built or designed.

the only thing i would buy of theirs are their mags because they are cheap. i bought their mbus pros too on a whim but they arent better than troys. what quality part have they come out with that was truly impressive?
Old 01-21-2019, 2:28 AM
facultatem excelsis
CGN Contributor

No way, not interested even for $80.

I suspect unusable pocket clip that jacks up your clothes and can't be used one-handed, plus it's generic looking and lame profile.

Old 01-21-2019, 2:39 AM

That’s gonna be the Magpul china doll of knives
Old 01-21-2019, 3:32 AM
Calguns Addict

For Magpul fanboys only.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 01-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Tanto shaped tips are terrable as an everyday knife. I have an Emerson CQC7 thats been collecting dust for 2 decades.
Old 02-07-2019, 2:28 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Tanto shaped tips are terrable as an everyday knife. I have an Emerson CQC7 thats been collecting dust for 2 decades.
I have a CQC7 also, and carry it regularly. I actually enjoy tanto blades, I think they have their benefits, and can open boxes just as good as any other knife!

Jerry
Old 02-07-2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
what quality part have they come out with that was truly impressive?
SGA shotgun stock set, I have them on my Rem. 870, awesomely functional and truly innovative, but if you’ve never shot them you wouldn’t know and will probably just keep on hatin’...

Have a nice day

MM
YES! OAKLAND SUCKS! STAY AWAY! Seriously it'll kill you *dead*! There are people that LOOK different than you! They eat strange FOOD and do WEIRD THINGS for ENTERTAINMENT! There are... bees... and small dogs.. and people on bicycles.. and the streets run RED... with bbq sauce.

STAY AWAY FROM OAKLAND!

Last edited by MeatyMac; 02-07-2019 at 3:36 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Wanna sell it? Shoot me a PM...

MM
Old 02-07-2019, 3:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
SGA shotgun stock set, I have them on my Rem. 870, awesomely functional and truly innovative, but if you’ve never shot them you wouldn’t know and will probably just keep on hatin’...

Have a nice day

MM
If you think their SGA is impressive or innovative, don't look at the Mesa Tactical Urbino. That would give you a stroke.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
If you think their SGA is impressive or innovative, don't look at the Mesa Tactical Urbino. That would give you a stroke.
You believe Mesa invented the short LOP pistol grip shotgun stock, really, that’s kinda funny Maybe their Limbsaver butt pad makes it innovative

I use Mesa’s shell holders, great product, still not innovative

I prefer the SGA because it’s a hybrid between a pistol grip and standard grip stock, the SGA buttstock can also be fitted to the M14 Blackfeather stock allowing non-free State M1A owners a legal modular stock option...Its truly unique, innovative and adaptive to other platforms.
Old 02-08-2019, 7:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
You believe Mesa invented the short LOP pistol grip shotgun stock, really, that’s kinda funny Maybe their Limbsaver butt pad makes it innovative

I use Mesa’s shell holders, great product, still not innovative

I prefer the SGA because it’s a hybrid between a pistol grip and standard grip stock, the SGA buttstock can also be fitted to the M14 Blackfeather stock allowing non-free State M1A owners a legal modular stock option...Its truly unique, innovative and adaptive to other platforms.
um, mesa did invent it for the 870. no one did it before them for the remington 870. they also developed the telescoping stock for the 870 and then had others copy them. if you had experience with it you would understand that it isnt simple a length of pull (you meant short LOP im sure) mod but far more options for height adjustments to cheek weld than the SGA which you have to buy another kit in order to get only two heights.
Old 02-08-2019, 7:38 AM

Looks like something Quartermaster makes?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
i bought their mbus pros too on a whim but they arent better than troys. what quality part have they come out with that was truly impressive?
I like MBUS Pro's more than Troys for sure... but I am not paying $400 for a Magpul folder.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Very basic with great materials. I'd say price is equal with hinderer, Stryker, sebenza etc. Im in. Ther lock looks very interesting
Old 04-27-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Price is $425. They are selling them in 200 lot production runs they release every 2-4 months. Made BY Magpul, not contracted out to anyone else. Titanium handles, S35VN steel, ball bearing pivot, etc - nothing new really.

First run was this all black one. Second run will likely be the same materials but with a stonewash finish on the blade and scales. Third run looks like it will be a stonewash blade with black micarta scales. It looks like eventually they will start putting out actual production models and not just do limited runs. They also mentioned they may be doing a less expensive version of the knife in the future.

I don't particularly care for this knife. Yes it is undoubtedly a nice knife. It looks good and the materials are great, but they are asking for a premium knife maker's price on their first ever folding knife. This looks to be marketed at the typical high speed low drag Magpul fanboy and not an actual knife enthusiast/hobbyist. Honestly for the type of hard use equipment they manufacture and sell, this knife should have been sold with phos bronze washers, and not bearings.

The secondary locking mechanism is nothing new. Ruike (A subsidiary of Fenix flashlights) has this feature on knives that are $30. It is simply a lockbar blocker. Ball bearings are also found on knives $30 or less (ex: My Ganzo FH31 I just purchased has what appears to be ceramic ball bearings, carbon fiber on top of G10, and D2 steel for under $30).
Old 04-27-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What can a clip point, drop point, spear point, sheepsfoot, warncliffe, razel, etc do that a tanto cant? For everyday purposes a tanto is just fine.

This knife is not a tanto though. Modified warncliffe or reverse tanto would be more accurate. The cutting edge is straight throughout and there is no extreme change in angle of the cutting edge as you would see on a traditional tanto blade. This blade will perform no differently than a sheepsfoot shaped blade.

0.17" blade thickness won't make it super slicey especially since the grind only goes up about halfway the height of the blade, but it's a good balance of slicing and durability. Website doesn't specify if it's a hollow grind or a flat grind but if I had to guess I would say flat grind.
Old 04-27-2019, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

They just wanted to make a knife. No guarantees it will be a great one. Just because SUREFIRE makes great lights, didn't mean they could make great knives. Same here. It isn't their specialty. As far as price, they say if they feel like it they might do future releases more like a production folder where the price would be much lower. Most people are going to be surprised if a mag accessories company hits a home run with a midtech folding knife.

I'd be surprised if it beats a $200 ZT (who makes great knives and that is their specialty). I have been wrong before.
Old 04-27-2019, 2:17 PM

Someone here is selling one for $2500.
Old 04-27-2019, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
Someone here is selling one for $2500.
Lmfao if someone is actually dumb enough to buy it they deserve to be robbed of their money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2019, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Your right, that Magpul is not a Tanto, and it looks like it is ground on both sides of the blade so It probably would not give me the trouble Tantos has. My dislike of Tantos come from my CQC7 and another Benchmade I had (Stryker?) For the 99% of the uses I need a 3-4" pocket folder for, they suck. Opening a box, the cutting edge near the tip is parallel to what your cutting, either you have to tip the knife heavely to use the tip or drag your knuckeles along the box to cut where the main edge and front edge meet. Slicing a long piece of cardboard, it wont cut straight since one side is flat and the other sided is sharpened at an angel like a lopsided wedge. Gently using the edge of a knife to peel a sticker or tape off something, I don't want an inch of flat blade scratching the surface when just a tiny bit of a curved blade would be touching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
What can a clip point, drop point, spear point, sheepsfoot, warncliffe, razel, etc do that a tanto cant? For everyday purposes a tanto is just fine.

This knife is not a tanto though. Modified warncliffe or reverse tanto would be more accurate. The cutting edge is straight throughout and there is no extreme change in angle of the cutting edge as you would see on a traditional tanto blade. This blade will perform no differently than a sheepsfoot shaped blade.

0.17" blade thickness won't make it super slicey especially since the grind only goes up about halfway the height of the blade, but it's a good balance of slicing and durability. Website doesn't specify if it's a hollow grind or a flat grind but if I had to guess I would say flat grind.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Looks pretty horrendous imho, and it's going to be prohibitively expensive to boot. Magpul fanatics will buy them up, I'm sure but I'm a hard pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
Looks pretty horrendous imho, and it's going to be prohibitively expensive to boot. Magpul fanatics will buy them up, I'm sure but I'm a hard pass.
It looks as good as a pump shotgun all Magpul'd or a perfectly good bolt gun all Magpul'd... hahah. IMHO. Yeah, kind of like a Quartermaster or one of those FURY's at BIG5 (15 years back). Kind of a retro design, huh.

Best thing Magpul has done lately besides mags is the SL line of carbine handguards. Love those things.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

I really liked the way the Surefire Charlie profile and blade shape looked... it was just a lot of other things that sucked. Grinds, action, flipper that wouldn't flip, lock-stick, etc... not their wheelhouse.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I really liked the way the Surefire Charlie profile and blade shape looked... it was just a lot of other things that sucked. Grinds, action, flipper that wouldn't flip, lock-stick, etc... not their wheelhouse.
yup, mine is rusted a bit too.