Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 04-09-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Newbie Questions

Hey guys,

(I am over 21, Real ID CA resident and current real gun owner)

Exploring ideas to get a SS MCX .177 as both a training tool and a less-than-lethal home defense rifle. Am looking at a couple of Amazon sellers.

Now my question is that I read somewhere on Youtube that both Federal and CA has (or at least had) laws requiring all airguns to have certain areas marked in red or orange (flash hider/fake silencer/stock/grip, etc.), while the items carried by Amazon resellers (at least on their pictures online) donít seem to have any color markings.

Will there be any problems ordering them online to be shipped to and used by a California resident like myself?

Thanks
Joe
Old 04-09-2020, 2:36 PM
retired Goon

First issue...

In order to legally sell something and ship it to CA, it needs a CA mandated Prop 65 warning.

Some vendors do not offer/sell items with the CA required Prop 65 warning label, so Amazon/eBay/etc will not sell/ship it to a CA address.

Second issue...

Under CA laws, BB/pellet guns and airsoft are considered imitation firearms.

CA imitation firearm laws requires imitation firearms to have a brightly colored exterior. [PC 16700(b)(5)]
However, .177, .22, .25, .30, .357, .45, .50, and .58 caliber bb/airguns are exempt from the coloration requirements. [PC 16700(b)(3)]

It's CA illegal, for a non-exempt person, to remove or alter the coloration on an imitation firearm in order to make it look more like a real firearm. [PC 20150(a)]

It is CA illegal to openly carry/display an imitation firearm in public places. [PC 20170]
Exemption to this if it's in areas where it is legal to discharge firearms [PC 20175(l)] or if the imitation firearm is brightly colored [PC 20175(m)]

Therefore...

When shopping online, you need to ensure that the product you are buying has the CA mandated Prop 65 warning.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-09-2020, 3:41 PM

Typically, the air powered guns with red tips are 6mm bb's. Look into the Umarex Glock 17 Gen 4 CO2 bb pistol for a very, very realistic replica that functions very much like a 9mm counterpart.
Old 04-09-2020, 4:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephsli View Post
Hey guys,

(I am over 21, Real ID CA resident and current real gun owner)

Exploring ideas to get a SS MCX .177 as both a training tool and a less-than-lethal home defense rifle.
Seriously? Are you thinking if you display your somewhat realistic looking air rifle, the bad guys are going to turn tail and run away? Good luck with that. Costco has some good deals on Coffins for your future reference...
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 04-09-2020, 4:30 PM

Shooting someone with a pellet gun in any scenario is a bad idea. They will beat you to death with it.
Old 04-09-2020, 7:31 PM

Ok guys - I just shelved the idea of buying an airgun altogether. Thx
Old 04-11-2020, 8:52 AM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnlover View Post
Typically, the air powered guns with red tips are 6mm bb's. Look into the Umarex Glock 17 Gen 4 CO2 bb pistol for a very, very realistic replica that functions very much like a 9mm counterpart.
With the ranges closed, I just use it to supplement my dry practice...

(That being said, the Umarex/Elite Force Glock 17 is NOT a true replica. It requires a Glock 21-sized holster)

_
Old 04-11-2020, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

I got an airsoft p226 and love it, I use it to practice rapid target acquisition. I bought it after watching the video in the second post on this thread https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1585127

Had me convinced!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:31 AM

Airguns are great tools for the job intended. For training, I love them. For target practice, loads of fun. For hunting, they are great. But for self defense, I wouldn't think of it.

Remember -- handguns already suck at stopping threats. But they're much more portable and concealable giving an advantage in SOME scenarios where a rifle or shotgun is either impractical (up close and personal) or impossible to have on you. A handgun's limits aren't just the platform but even the cartridge. Even a .357 or .44 out of a rifle is entry-level stopping power in the land of rifles. So an airgun in .177 just isn't a serious tool for self defense.

If you want an inexpensive self defense tool with some additional benefits, consider getting self defense training (such as Krav Maga) or martial arts with self defense applications (BJJ, muy thai, etc.). Entry level training in any of those disciplines will beat a .177 anything as a tool to save your life.
Old 04-13-2020, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
With the ranges closed, I just use it to supplement my dry practice...

(That being said, the Umarex/Elite Force Glock 17 is NOT a true replica. It requires a Glock 21-sized holster)

_
That looks like a lot of fun. Is that airsoft ot bbs? Do u use anything behind the targets to keep it from going through or do they just bounce off.

This has me seriously considering picking something like this up. Id probably need to plant some privacy plants to blocky neighbo view first. Their windows point directly into my backyard.

Last edited by SoCal326; 04-13-2020 at 4:18 PM..
Old 04-15-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
Shooting someone with a pellet gun in any scenario is a bad idea. They will beat you to death with it.
I don't know... pretty sure this one will do some damage:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umare...a300b60a1c0e10
Old 04-15-2020, 11:21 PM

50 cal airgun will surely maim- but you only got 3 shots. Also, pumping up the canister to 4500 psi is a chore. For home defense, I'd also bring a backup melee 'sidearm' like a sledgehammer, bat, bowie knife or whatever else cause if the shots misses head or vitals - now you gonna have to dance.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:12 AM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal326 View Post
That looks like a lot of fun. Is that airsoft ot bbs? Do u use anything behind the targets to keep it from going through or do they just bounce off.

This has me seriously considering picking something like this up. Id probably need to plant some privacy plants to blocky neighbo view first. Their windows point directly into my backyard.
These are Airsoft BBs - biodegradable (or else my Wife won't allow me to litter the backyard).

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/TSD_T...rds_White/1436

No, nothing special in my targets. Simple cardboard USPSA metric targets. The pellets either stick to it, or go through. They rarely bounce off (well, unless I am using them on coffee cans).

Good for me that I do have a high fence.

Yeah, you should pick it up. In spite of my last match being in late Feb and hadn't had any live fire; I finished second in my division in a local USPSA match (beating higher-classed shooters, as well).

_

Last edited by rodralig; 04-28-2020 at 11:14 AM..
Old 04-28-2020, 6:10 PM

Just had a few beer's after my monthly Costco trip. Thinking about buying one before come to my senses. Which green Gass one should I get.
Old 04-28-2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Just had a few beer's after my monthly Costco trip. Thinking about buying one before come to my senses. Which green Gass one should I get.
I got the bb version. Most of my friends think it's real at first glance/touch. It even breaks down like a real Glock. No slop in the slide like other co2 pistols. I also have the SIG P365. I'm torn between which is my favorite, but they both rock.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umare...77_BB_Gun/4806
Old 04-28-2020, 6:49 PM

I like it but I feeling like if I can use propane it would las a lot longer than co2....ahhhhhh, maybe both.
Old 04-28-2020, 6:58 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnlover View Post
I got the bb version. Most of my friends think it's real at first glance/touch. It even breaks down like a real Glock. No slop in the slide like other co2 pistols. I also have the SIG P365. I'm torn between which is my favorite, but they both rock.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umare...77_BB_Gun/4806
The Umarex/Elite Force Glocks, though authorized and, as you said, breaks down like a real Glock, are not true-sized replicas. I have the G17, but it will NOT fit in a G17 holster. I had to get the G21 before I could even it use it for holster practice. This is a known issue in forums.

Additionally, I got the CO2 rather than Green Gas. Although there is more wear on the gun, it just performs better... Also, it is easier to get the 12g CO2 cartridges than Green Gas. The only downside I see is it's more expensive in the long run.

_

Last edited by rodralig; 04-28-2020 at 7:03 PM..
Old 04-28-2020, 8:32 PM

This is my next one. If reviews mean anything, then I'm in for a treat.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sprin...77_BB_Gun/4816
Old 06-19-2020, 2:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Back from Lithuania. Still running from folks in Esotonia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
If I was a criminal and I broke into mccauly caulkin's home and that little jerk shot ME with a pellet gun, you bet I would beat his *** before I left the house.

You do not EVER use a pellet rifle to protect your home. never ever unless it is a full auto and has a 4000+ hopper and fires full auto at around 900 fps...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...