Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Accessories

Scope Rings:

UTG "Airgun" .22 Integral Ring Mount
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Pro.../dp/B002TUSJV6
Note: Make sure to get the height and the tube size your scope needs

The dovetail rail is notorious for ring movement.
This integral ring will keep your scope solid.
Recommended to and from numerous 795 owners as the best ring option.

So I bought this scope, how do I know what height and tube size those ring mounts need to be?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehosha View Post
So I bought this scope, how do I know what height and tube size those ring mounts need to be?
Google seems to say its a 1 inch tube (you might want to search some more for yourself to make sure)
Bell size is 32mm

Not sure if they make a low profile one, I think they say the medium profile is usually good up to 40mm

So I'd say a medium profile 1 inch tube is what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Med...+.22++Integral
Old 09-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'd say a medium profile 1 inch tube is what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Med...+.22++Integral
Agreed.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
I shoot CCI bulk out of all of my .22s and don't recall every having a problem. Get pretty good accuracy too considering it's bulk. The Federal bulk was good too; I just got better accuracy with the CCI.
This is exactly my results too.
I have never had any type of failure with CCI Blazer 525 Bulk.

Federal also works but groups 1 inch up and 2 to the right for my zero set for Blazer. The groups also open up a bit (up to double)

Never shot Minimags, the bulk works so good for me I have not felt the need to spend the extra dough..

Quote:
Agreed.
Thanks for checking it out too! I'd hate to have someone order the wrong thing on account of me hah
Old 09-22-2012, 1:13 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, NP. I've got a 40mm scope in the medium mount and it works.
Old 09-22-2012, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

Hi all, new poster here. You can add me to the Marlin fanclub. Took my new 795 to the range today & it shot flawlessly. The CCI Tactical in the 375rd boxes work fine, I shot about 500 with no problems.

Only complaint I have is that I need some magazine loaders, loading that many rounds by hand hurts.

Old 09-22-2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Hi all, new poster here. You can add me to the Marlin fanclub. Took my new 795 to the range today & it shot flawlessly. The CCI Tactical in the 375rd boxes work fine, I shot about 500 with no problems.

Only complaint I have is that I need some magazine loaders, loading that many rounds by hand hurts.

baby uplula! theyre a bit pricey for a piece of plastic, but i say worth every penny. the first day i shot an entire box of 550 rounds and my thumbs might as well have been skinned. turners in so cal has them for about 35-40...i forget exactly how much i got mine for.
Old 09-22-2012, 6:05 PM

speaking of scopes...i have a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 BDC on the way in the mail...ive also got tech sights...i want to have both mounted so if my scope fails for whatever reason ive still got tech sights so i was thinking of getting high rise/see through rings with a cheek rest to go through the scope, and take the cheek rest off to use the irons...does this sound good? or are there better ways about this? im only asking because ive read that see through scope mounts on a dovetail rail like to move around.
Old 09-22-2012, 6:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooodstevenn View Post
speaking of scopes...i have a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 BDC on the way in the mail...ive also got tech sights...i want to have both mounted so if my scope fails for whatever reason ive still got tech sights so i was thinking of getting high rise/see through rings with a cheek rest to go through the scope, and take the cheek rest off to use the irons...does this sound good? or are there better ways about this? im only asking because ive read that see through scope mounts on a dovetail rail like to move around.
I have the scope in 3-9x40 and its an awesome scope. Has a little bit of a blue tint to it, but it really is a super clear optic. Built well, easy to use, and the BDC is great to use for any caliber. I'm using it on a .epi with a 22" barrel.
Old 09-22-2012, 7:26 PM

Speaking of cci mini mags from the previous page. I had a bad brick of 100. I was about to toss them out! They were almost all delayed firing. Though my marlin had a problem. Switched out to another brick and worked flawlessly so I assume it was a bad batch. No biggie. Federal bulk pack works awesome for me, along with cci mini mags, will be testing out remmy n&i golden bullet next weekend.

I still can't get over the new stock! It's so awesome! I just wish the mags were a bit cheaper I need more! Hahahah
There's danger lurking around every corner, that's why I propose we make all of our buildings round.
Old 09-22-2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchira! View Post
Speaking of cci mini mags from the previous page. I had a bad brick of 100. I was about to toss them out! They were almost all delayed firing. Though my marlin had a problem. Switched out to another brick and worked flawlessly so I assume it was a bad batch. No biggie. Federal bulk pack works awesome for me, along with cci mini mags, will be testing out remmy n&i golden bullet next weekend.

I still can't get over the new stock! It's so awesome! I just wish the mags were a bit cheaper I need more! Hahahah
how much did you get your mags for? i got a few from turners for 15 each. i dont know if that's considered cheap, but it was 5 bucks less than bass pro
Old 09-23-2012, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehosha View Post
Ive read the reviews of that scope, some people complain the reticle breaks after a while and it wont hold zero. Apparently very good when new.

I thought the quality of .22 scopes (with no recoil!) has long been settled. Is there a brand line .22 shooters should stick with, like Nikon for example, and nevermind the cost? Or, do cheapies ordinarily work fine? A Simmons scope should not be falling apart under the non-stress of a .22!

Last edited by CharlesV; 09-23-2012 at 3:04 AM..
Old 09-23-2012, 1:16 PM

Quote:
how much did you get your mags for? i got a few from turners for 15 each. i dont know if that's considered cheap, but it was 5 bucks less than bass pro
I ordered mine from midway. I checked turners when I bought it but they didn't have any nor knew if they were getting any in. I think I paid 15-16 bucks for them. I just wish they were like 5 bucks hahah
There's danger lurking around every corner, that's why I propose we make all of our buildings round.
Old 09-23-2012, 4:05 PM

any suggestions on a high rise mount/ring for a dovetail that doesn't walk? i plan to combine it with a cheek pad to make up the extra height to get a good cheek weld
Old 09-23-2012, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchira! View Post
I ordered mine from midway. I checked turners when I bought it but they didn't have any nor knew if they were getting any in. I think I paid 15-16 bucks for them. I just wish they were like 5 bucks hahah
If only they were...the turners i went to actually had alot of them. I guess it just varies from location to location.
Old 09-23-2012, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post

Looks like a fun day!
As mentioned the babylula is probably the best option. I love my AKLula, been thinking of getting a babylula.

Theres also this http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=87177

Quote:
It's rarely ever advised to use see thru mounts. They don't do a good job with the scope and they don't do a good job with the sights. Even with the stock pack idea I would highly advise against them.

Quote:
I get mine from CDNN, but they are out atm. They usually have them for 13.99 and often have shipping specials on the weekends
Old 09-23-2012, 4:51 PM

any other solution, chaos? I don't want to be without sights if my scope goes down

also why in particular do you not like see throughs?

if i take off the rear iron sight to replace with a scope, when i put it back will it still be sighted in if the sight radius has been slighty changed?

Last edited by dooodstevenn; 09-23-2012 at 5:14 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
any other solution, chaos? I don't want to be without sights if my scope goes down

also why in particular do you not like see throughs?

if i take off the rear iron sight to replace with a scope, when i put it back will it still be sighted in if the sight radius has been slighty changed?
Why don't I like them?
I already stated that they do a bad job at both things.

They are going to raise your scope too high:
Poor cheek weld or improper weld such as a chin weld
When zeroing your scope you will have to crank it to compensate for the height. This is bad because you may "bottom out" that dial or not be able to adjust the scope for farther distances.

They do not give great sight pictures.

They might "walk" backwards off the rail.

Also are you even sure they make see thrus that high? I would think most are designed for blade sights which are considerably lower then techsights.

My solution? Pick one.
That is what most people will arrive at. Often people ask about see thru's some head warning some actually try them and figure it out for themselves.
You can leave the factory sights on and if your scope fails pull it off.
If you have to have both? Then get a 2nd rifle...

Also its not like you are going to battle with this or hunting a deer.
If your scope brakes then pull it off. Don't have tools? Well then you'll just have to deal with it when you get home.

If you have to try it then at least try to find a "1 piece" see thru mount so at least you won't have to worry about scope ring walking
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Why don't I like them?
I already stated that they do a bad job at both things.

They are going to raise your scope too high:
Poor cheek weld or improper weld such as a chin weld
When zeroing your scope you will have to crank it to compensate for the height. This is bad because you may "bottom out" that dial or not be able to adjust the scope for farther distances.

They do not give great sight pictures.

They might "walk" backwards off the rail.

Also are you even sure they make see thrus that high? I would think most are designed for blade sights which are considerably lower then techsights.

My solution? Pick one.
That is what most people will arrive at. Often people ask about see thru's some head warning some actually try them and figure it out for themselves.
You can leave the factory sights on and if your scope fails pull it off.
If you have to have both? Then get a 2nd rifle...

Also its not like you are going to battle with this or hunting a deer.
If your scope brakes then pull it off. Don't have tools? Well then you'll just have to deal with it when you get home.

If you have to try it then at least try to find a "1 piece" see thru mount so at least you won't have to worry about scope ring walking
ahh, i see. Ive been thinking of getting a second rifle anyways, maybe i'll just throw a scope on the more accurate one and irons on the lesser and keep the tech sights for apple seed. If i take the rear tech sight off and put it back on with a slightly different sight radius, will that effect the accuracy of them? (assuming the windage and elevation knobs have not been knocked out of its zero)

Last edited by dooodstevenn; 09-23-2012 at 11:31 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

The tech sights are upgraded iron sights, so I'm not sure why you would use factory iron sights and then only put the tech sights on for Appleseed? Put the tech sights on and leave them on. Most any time you remove an optic or sight, you will have to re-sight the rifle. The only time you can get away with that good enough for it to actually hit where you are aiming at is if you buy a very good mount (they will say you can remove and replace and maintain _____ MOA).
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
The tech sights are upgraded iron sights, so I'm not sure why you would use factory iron sights and then only put the tech sights on for Appleseed? Put the tech sights on and leave them on. Most any time you remove an optic or sight, you will have to re-sight the rifle. The only time you can get away with that good enough for it to actually hit where you are aiming at is if you buy a very good mount (they will say you can remove and replace and maintain _____ MOA).
well, any suggestions to what to do with a scope and tech sights?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 AM

Just picked up the UTG mount recommended. Threw my prostaff on it I had from my .308 rifle. Going to try to sight it in Monday night.
Old 09-24-2012, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
well, any suggestions to what to do with a scope and tech sights?
Keep the tech sights on the 795 (since they are not universal sights and won't fit other firearms) and pick up an XT-22 to put the scope on
Old 09-24-2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Keep the tech sights on the 795 (since they are not universal sights and won't fit other firearms) and pick up an XT-22 to put the scope on
thats exactly my plan! but im conflicted between a savage mark ii and the marlin xt-22. i was able to feel and hold the marlin and i really liked it, but ive been reading the savage is more proven since its been out longer and a bit more solid. but i think it's a bit subjective but i don't want to be missing out on something thats a better value for your money, i can't find a savage to hold and try out so far, and if i can't find one in a few days im just going to get the basic marlin

i also read the length of pull on the marlin is slightly shorter than the savage which makes me think that the savage would be too long for me since the marlin was perfect
Old 09-24-2012, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

The savage being out longer is kinda not the whole truth...

The XT might only be a couple years old but it has a long history behind it.
Before it was the XT it was the 925 and before that the 25.
Marlin has a long history of renaming their rifles, which I have no idea why...

The XT adjustable trigger that is inspired by the Savages trigger is new.
Unproven? I've dry fired one and it was pretty light and had like no take up...

I don't know when the first 25 or MKII was made but I wouldn't doubt that the Marlin has actually been around longer...
Old 09-24-2012, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't know when the first 25 or MKII was made but I wouldn't doubt that the Marlin has actually been around longer...
Old 09-24-2012, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I ordered the wood stock for the Model 70 and modified it for my 795. I dremel'd it out, sanded it to the bare bone, finished sanded back to 300 grit and then applied some ebony stain followed by 7 coats of Tru Oil. It came out sweet!

Ordered the DIP bolt, and black trigger guard and trigger and the Picatinny scope mount. Parts should be in by this weekend so I can finalize this M795 project. Woo Hoo.
Old 09-24-2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:

you make a good point... i know the mark ii is free floated, is the same true with the marlin? can anyone else comment on whether or not the xt-22 is free floated?
Old 09-24-2012, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
I ordered the wood stock for the Model 70 and modified it for my 795. I dremel'd it out, sanded it to the bare bone, finished sanded back to 300 grit and then applied some ebony stain followed by 7 coats of Tru Oil. It came out sweet!

Ordered the DIP bolt, and black trigger guard and trigger and the Picatinny scope mount. Parts should be in by this weekend so I can finalize this M795 project. Woo Hoo.
Sounds awesome! We need photos of the stock!

Quote:
you make a good point... i know the mark ii is free floated, is the same true with the marlin? can anyone else comment on whether or not the xt-22 is free floated?
Not sure if it does or not.

Its really not hard to free float a barrel:
Tape the sides of the barrel channel with masking tape. (To protect finish if you slip)
Find a socket wrench socket (deep preferably) that fits into the barrel channel well.
Wrap a piece of sandpaper around it and use nice even strokes.

Takes like 5 minutes.
Go slow and test fit, when you can slip a dollar under it you are good!

See here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=411731&page=5

Not all plastic stocks have a clear defined channel, just sand the sides and any places of contact on the bottom.
Old 09-24-2012, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

The XT-22 is not free-floated from the factory. Does it need it? I'm not going to bother. Plenty of accurate enough, even when using bulk ammo. I might buy some match ammo one day just for the heck of it.
Old 09-24-2012, 8:36 PM

Quote:
The XT-22 is not free-floated from the factory. Does it need it? I'm not going to bother. Plenty of accurate enough, even when using bulk ammo. I might buy some match ammo one day just for the heck of it.
so i see many are marlin fans here huh?

if you do, please post the results!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 PM

at the moment im leaning towards marlin. even though its not free floated i watched nutnfancy's review of it, and he's getting nickel size groups with CCI mini mag at 50 yards, and if i really wanted, some sanding would free float my barrel like chaos said.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 PM

at the moment im leaning towards marlin. even though its not free floated i watched nutnfancy's review of it, and he's getting nickel size groups with CCI mini mag at 50 yards, and if i really wanted, some sanding would free float my barrel like chaos said.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

I can't find the picture anymore of my groups with the XT-22 and CCI bulk ammo. I may have another target somewhere...
Old 09-25-2012, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sounds awesome! We need photos of the stock!
I have to figure out how to post a picture first, but I will get a picture online as soon as that happens.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
I have to figure out how to post a picture first, but I will get a picture online as soon as that happens.

Here you go.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=86685
Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Lurker
CGN Contributor

Picked up a 795ss earlier this year (several months ago) and I've put about 1500 rounds through it. Great rifle. I took it apart and polished the insides before I ever took it shooting. It functions flawlessly for me--my only problems have been due to bad ammo.
Old 09-25-2012, 3:46 PM

I like how these Boyd stocks look. How much more weight do they add to the riffle.
That's of the main things I like about the 795, how light it is. After shooting it standing all day at the indoor range I appreciated the low weight even more. Why I've kept it stock without adding a single thing.
But dam those Boyd stock sure look good.
Old 09-25-2012, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

This stock was purchased from Numrich and is for the Model 70. I posted earlier what I did to it: Dremeled a lot of material out, stripped it down, then sanded to 300 grit, applied Ebony stain, then 7 coats of Tru Oil. Here are the results of several days of work:

Here are the Pictures of my wooden stock for the Marlin 795:

Last edited by MaHoTex; 09-25-2012 at 5:41 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

I went to pick up my Marlin 795 yesterday from turners, but found that the front sight is little canted. Did any one experienced this in 795s? Store is getting me a replacement.