Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-16-2013, 5:21 PM

Exclamation CIVIL RIGHTS MARCH & PUBLIC MEETING in support of the 2nd Amendment

repost from Calguns in Your Community > Southern California > Ventura Chapter

Day of Resistance - Ventura County

DayOfResistance.com & PeopleProtectingFreedom.com are sponsoring:

A CIVIL RIGHTS MARCH & PUBLIC MEETING
That will be held in Ventura, California on Saturday February 23rd, 2013

Californians will gather at the steps of City Hall in Ventura and commence a March at 11:30 a.m. down California Street and Main Street towards Mission Park where we will assemble for a Public Meeting at NOON to Rally and Protest the efforts of the California State Legislature to impose a de facto repeal of the 2nd Amendment. Speakers will inform the activists attending the Rally on what they can do individually and collectively to combat these proposals and what we can do if the ban goes into effect. The organizers of the Ventura Day of Resistance will provide the people attending with the tools and organization they need in order to effect real change.

Old 02-16-2013, 6:22 PM

I'm in.
Old 02-16-2013, 7:43 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 02-16-2013, 8:26 PM

Every single gun owner from Bakersfield to San Diago should be there. Thousands should show up to this. No excuses.
Old 02-16-2013, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

I hope you guys have a great turn out.
Old 02-16-2013, 8:47 PM

See u there!
Old 02-17-2013, 4:38 AM

I hope to be there.
Old 02-17-2013, 6:21 AM

Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapmaster View Post
Every single gun owner from Bakersfield to San Diago should be there. Thousands should show up to this. No excuses.

We need activists and volunteers. PM me here or at the facebook page if you want to help out.

Other than that show up, bring your friends, make a great sign, engage the public, be courteous and work towards winning, it is going to be a long road and a hard fight.

"Your Responsibility to be Ready for the Fight Never Ends" ~ James Yaeger
Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Old 02-17-2013, 1:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why do people jump at the chance to stand in front of a building and accomplish nothing but shirk actual opportunities to make a difference?

Sigh.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-17-2013, 5:33 PM

Exclamation Need activists to teach about "actual opportunities to make a difference"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Why do people jump at the chance to stand in front of a building and accomplish nothing but shirk actual opportunities to make a difference?

Sigh.

-Brandon
Because the reality is that most people just are not motivated enough to do anything and just sit around at home or in their office at work and complain but do nothing. Doing public events gives people an opportunity to learn what steps they need to take to become an effective activist, it allows for critical networking with other engaged people, it generates PR value which translates into additional activism, perhaps most importantly events like this help people realize that they are not alone and that there are real physical people who are willing to go out of their comfort zone and be a part of something larger than themselves.

You can complain about another event, or you can join us and take the time to convert some of the people who aren't as dedicated working behind the scenes as you are. We need the help. I don't know you, but you have over 12 thousand posts on CalGuns, you probably know the issues better than I do, so why not come out and lead a few breakout groups on how people can become effective activists and inform them about "actual opportunities to make a difference".

If you would like to help organize this event, or would like to help transfer knowledge to us or event attendees please PM me on CalGuns or visit www.facebook.com/DayOfResistanceVenturaCounty and leave a comment and we will get in contact with you. Thanks.

Jay

Last edited by bearflag; 02-17-2013 at 5:36 PM.. Reason: additional content
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jay, I'm afraid I can't personally coordinate another 2A project at this time but I would be happy to help get people involved in efforts to really make 2013 a year to remember. Let me know your thoughts, my email's in my sig.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Sigh.

-Brandon
Methinks you Sigh too much,,,,,
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyatollahGondola View Post
Methinks you Sigh too much,,,,,
Sometimes it feels that way, my friend.

-Brandon

Old 02-17-2013, 11:48 PM

Wish I could go, but live too far away. Good luck.

Romans 1:16 - 32

Old 02-18-2013, 1:07 PM

We need someone from CalGuns, SAF, NRA etc to step up as a speaker for this event and instruct the attendees on the current state of affairs in the state, what exact bills are on the docket, and what action needs to be done and how to go about doing it. Ideally we would have a team of acicists there who could run a few breakout groups or a booth with collateral so that attendees could leave the event knowing exactly what they need to next and have the tools to do it.

Also we would appreciate any help with getting the word out. The support outside the traditional firearms crowd has been very favorable, but inside the firearms community there have been many people who are just crest fallen and all they talk about is moving out of state or stocking up ammunition in their cabin. People. We need to wake up, there is a great opportunity before us, get involved!

Visit: www.facebook.com/DayOfResistanceVenturaCounty to volunteer to take California back!
Old 02-18-2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:

Sigh.

-Brandon
For the same reason people will drive 30 minutes out of there way on a road 20 miles longer to avoid 10 minutes of traffic on their normal route. If I am moving I must be accomplishing something.
Old 02-18-2013, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonderplatz View Post
Wish I could go, but live too far away. Good luck.
There is a similar rally in Atascadero (you set your location as Central Coast).

Atascadero Day of Resistance
Time: Noon-3PM
Sponsoring Organization: SLO-North County Tea Party
Contact Name & Email: Lydia Thompson
Lydia@NorthCountyTeaParty.org Facebook Page: North County Tea Party
http://www.dayofresistance.com/rally/

Last edited by penguin0123; 02-18-2013 at 5:35 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 9:13 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Jay, I'm afraid I can't personally coordinate another 2A project at this time but I would be happy to help get people involved in efforts to really make 2013 a year to remember. Let me know your thoughts, my email's in my sig.

-Brandon
Emailed you yesterday, no reply.

Visit: www.facebook.com/DayOfResistanceVenturaCounty to volunteer to take California back!
Old 02-18-2013, 9:47 PM

Day of Resistance, 23 Feb 2013 is scheduled all over the country
http://www.dayofresistance.com/

For all the individual local demonstrations:
http://www.dayofresistance.com/rally/

If anyone cares to start a separate, generalized thread, please feel free.
I'm a new kid here, still feeling my way around.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll be there.

Mods -

Please delete my thread below, or perhaps merge it. Thanks.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=706753
Old 02-19-2013, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Has anyone established a list of "appropriate" signs? Will there be a stack of pre-made ones we can pick out?

Also, what is the dress code?

Bearflag, are you the coordinator of this event?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
Has anyone established a list of "appropriate" signs? Will there be a stack of pre-made ones we can pick out?

Also, what is the dress code?

Bearflag, are you the coordinator of this event?
Someone in our group has a list of the usual signs, I'll dig it up for you.

I do not have the resources right now to provide signs, I would LOVE it if someone could pick up the ball and run with it on that matter. If this is something you are interested we can definitely coordinate.

The theme we are trying to tap in for our event is similar to the CalGuns Foundation theme. Gun Rights, Civil Rights, Your Rights.

I need more resources and colunteers overall to help getting the word out. Posts on this forum help, shares of FaceBook are great, printing out the event flier and posting it somewhere is awesome, physicially getting the comittment from someone to attend or volunteer is best.

We still need a speaker for firearms legislation and activism.

We are putting together a flier to hand out on the day of to attendees, CalGuns could help a ton here. We would be more than fine if they could set up a table or booth and hand out collateral and accept donations, solicit for membership etc.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 AM

You can print out this flier and post it ANYWHERE. Or you can hot link the URL and share it on forums:

Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM

Exclamation Press Kit (attachment) for distribution

Press Release 2/19/13 — For Immediate Release
A CIVIL RIGHTS MARCH & PUBLIC MEETING
IN SUPPORT OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Ventura, California on Saturday, February 23rd, 2013

People Protecting Freedom, a non-partisan Ventura-based grassroots organization, is sponsoring this local event as part of a coordinated national effort of DayofResistance.com. Day of Resistance - Ventura County is organized by regular people in Ventura, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, Orange and San Bernadino Counties, who are concerned about the loss of a fundamental civil liberty. It is an element of a larger effort to highlight the purpose and significance of the Second Amendment as the foundation of our other freedoms, stop further unconstitutional legislation and point out better methods of improving safety.

The event will be attended by diverse Second Amendment constituencies ranging over a wide geographic area and diverse in political spectrum. The activists attending the event will have a unique opportunity to learn about the the history of gun control in the United States and abroad, and how in almost every case firearms registrations, restrictions, and ultimately seizures have been to oppress minorities and institute authoritarian governance. Ultimately gun control always results in the restriction of other civil liberties as well as increased violent crime. Attendees will learn about the recent legislative efforts by misguided representatives like State Senator Leland Yee and United States Senator Feinstein as well as the recent infringements on their constitutionally guaranteed rights in the states of New York and Colorado. Both efforts have already had massive economic consequences for those states as well as further burdening law enforcement with prosecuting law abiding citizens for exercising their statutorily guaranteed liberties. The activists attending will learn what actions they can take in order to prevent a civil rights crisis from occurring in California and how they should prepare in the event that their rights are infringed upon. The organizers of the event will provide a much needed opportunity to network as well as connect attendees with other civil rights minded and pro Second Amendment advocacy groups on what legal and legislative actions we are currently involved with and how the Constitution and past SCOTUS rulings unequivocally support the right of regular citizens to maintain proficiency and carry arms for their own protection, for the common defense, and to act as the final deterrent to authoritarian governance.

This February 23rd we join with long tradition of civil liberties minded Americans from all walks of life and stand up in union, allied in common cause with the love of freedom and its exercise thereof.
Please take the time to watch this short video which encompasses many of the issues that we are concerned that our representatives have lost sight of:

Henson Ong at Gun Violence Prevention Hearing - Hartford CT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYYgLzF6zU

Event flier: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...20812620_n.png

Jay McKearn — jmckearn@gmail.com — 805.907.8898 Organizer, Day of Resistance - Ventura County www.facebook.com/DayofResistanceVenturaCounty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PressKitVentura223.pdf (111.8 KB, 4 views)

Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM

The above press-kit can be sent to local magazines, bloggers, media outlets etc.

Really bloggers would be best. If we can get a bunch of bloggers or popular youtube channels to tell their followers that they like what we are doing here, join the facebook page, go to our event or their other local event, donate to CalGuns Foundation, NRA-ILA, GOA etc. Its all good.

Old 02-19-2013, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is a horrible thing to say. It's events like this that motivate people, make new friends, new connections, co-ordinate activity, etc. Not everyone is cut out for the same thing.

Some work on the courts, some work on the paper campaign, some organize events, some show up to events and then get motivated.

At any rate, great job bearflag, keep on keeping on!
Old 02-19-2013, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Guys, we need support on this. There are no other organization better suited to supporting 2A than Calguns. This is why we are members here.
  • For those who are staying home because they think this will change nothing, imagine if our forefathers said the same in 1776.
  • For those who are staying home because they think one more won't matter, imagine if our forefathers said the same in 1776.
  • For those who are staying home because they are afraid to be seen in public for supporting our inalienable rights, imagine if our forefathers said the same in 1776.

Lady Liberty cannot defend herself alone. She needs your help.
Different thread, same rally: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=706753
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearflag View Post
Emailed you yesterday, no reply.
Would you mind resending? I don't see any emails with "Jay" or "Ventura" in them.

-Brandon

Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's only horrible because it's accurate.

I understand that grassroots must be adaptive; however, an effective grassroots operation doesn't spend time, money, and energy where it doesn't create real outcomes.

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSoCal View Post
This is a horrible thing to say. It's events like this that motivate people, make new friends, new connections, co-ordinate activity, etc. Not everyone is cut out for the same thing.

Some work on the courts, some work on the paper campaign, some organize events, some show up to events and then get motivated.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I understand that grassroots must be adaptive; however, an effective grassroots operation doesn't spend time, money, and energy where it doesn't create real outcomes.

-Brandon
Why so bitter? You sound like 1.) perhaps a bitter person in person, or 2.) just very bitter about protests/rallies/meetings, etc.

Care to elaborate? Because right now its like trying to talk to a brick wall.

Time & money? What "time and money" is being wasted? Energy? What energy is being wasted? Getting my butt out of the house for 3 hours on a Saturday is not even a factor. Sorry.
Old 02-20-2013, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapmaster View Post
We have our own event taking place on 223. It's at Bear Mountain Sports. Much as I love Ventura (and I do), I plan to attend my hometown event.
Old 02-20-2013, 1:54 AM

Duh. I'm in Bakersfield.
Old 02-20-2013, 2:36 PM

Talking

I hear bakersfield will have a good turn out, best of luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikel61 View Post
Duh. I'm in Bakersfield.

Old 02-20-2013, 2:54 PM

Exclamation PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTIUON

Oath Keeper Stewart Rhodes and Ventura County Supervisor Peter Foy headline A CIVIL RIGHTS MARCH — in support of the Second Amendment THIS Saturday, Feb 23rd in sunny Ventura, California.

Californians will gather at the steps of City Hall and will commence to March at 11:30 a.m. thru downtown Ventura towards Mission Park where activists will converge in resolute rejection of further restrictions on their Constitutionally guaranteed liberties by US Senator Feinstein, State Senator Leland Yee and their colleagues.

Activists attending Day of Resistance - Ventura County will then have the opportunity to engage in a Public Meeting with a panel of passionate speakers including Stewart Rhodes of the Oath Keepers movement, Ventura County Supervisor Peter Foy and other speakers. Afterwards there will be opportunities for more networking and instruction on what actual steps can be taken NOW to have real results in California.

On February 23, we rally to take back our state and restore your rights.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PressKitVentura223.220.pdf (628.1 KB, 2 views)

Old 02-20-2013, 2:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Peter Foy? Who is he?

You mean we actually have someone in SoCal government who is out of the closet on the 2A? Unreal!
Old 02-20-2013, 3:18 PM

Exclamation

CalGuns should be spending some of it's social capital into trying to recruit new activists outside of gun shows and gun ranges instead of tearing down efforts meant to drive people to their website, join their foundations, donate to their causes and so forth.

They are fortunate because there are thousands of people on their forum who will continue to support their initiatives in spite of this. I will continue to support CalGuns and the other firearms advocacy organizations despite the fact that many of them have facilitated gun control in the past. Now is not the time to discount any effort or contribution in whatever form it takes as long as we stand in solidarity of cause NOW and moving forward.

So while I greatly appreciate the contribution Brandon Combs and what his Firearms Policy Coalition in particular has done for Californians, I respectfully disagree fundamentally him in that we need to be fighting this war also in the realm of public opinion, recruiting more activists from outside the traditional firearms enthusiasts, and not just relying on letter writing campaigns or praying for legal victories on various technicalities.

Respectfully,

Jay McKearn

Quote:

-Brandon

Old 02-20-2013, 3:40 PM

I will be there! I have posted to my social media. I will bring whoever will come with me!

For me, this isn't about changing the politicians opinions or having a direct effect on some particular piece of legislation. This is about morale! I am tired of banging my head trying to figure out wheter its worth leaving this state for another... and ultimately recognizing for every state abandoned we allow the dominoes to continue to fall... until there is only one dominoe left.

Further, we cannot retreat ourselves to victory.

Finally, from my perspective, the only way to truly change things is to get rid of the infringing politicians that run our state, and the only way to do that is to sway public opinon to our cause. no one pays atention to the various legal battles but they do pay attention to numbers demonstrating in their home town.

Feel free to be negative if you choose, but for me this a positive thing.

"One to the head keeps them dead, but a double tap is worth the lead." - Larry Ray

Last edited by LarryRay's; 02-20-2013 at 3:42 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 5:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jay,

I think you're misunderstanding my point and working from a lack of information, not all of which is public yet so that's certainly not your failing. I'm still interested in talking about this in more detail if you are.

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearflag View Post
CalGuns should be spending some of it's social capital into trying to recruit new activists outside of gun shows and gun ranges instead of tearing down efforts meant to drive people to their website, join their foundations, donate to their causes and so forth.

They are fortunate because there are thousands of people on their forum who will continue to support their initiatives in spite of this. I will continue to support CalGuns and the other firearms advocacy organizations despite the fact that many of them have facilitated gun control in the past. Now is not the time to discount any effort or contribution in whatever form it takes as long as we stand in solidarity of cause NOW and moving forward.

So while I greatly appreciate the contribution Brandon Combs and what his Firearms Policy Coalition in particular has done for Californians, I respectfully disagree fundamentally him in that we need to be fighting this war also in the realm of public opinion, recruiting more activists from outside the traditional firearms enthusiasts, and not just relying on letter writing campaigns or praying for legal victories on various technicalities.

Respectfully,

Jay McKearn