Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-17-2018, 6:29 PM

Default Cheapest route to CMP garand

What is the cheapest membership option to satisfy that part of things? Anything worth getting that would be more valuable in Orange County for other things to double up the spend?

As for shipping, will they ship directly to me or does it need to go to a FFL?

I don't want to spend a lot at the moment, is it worth the extra $100 for the service grade?

I see people saying they ask for specific things like a SA receiver or barrel and USGI wood or something. Any links to basic information or any point in asking them for anything specific?
Old 05-17-2018, 6:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Garand Collectors Association sends out a nice publication that makes for good coffee table reading and they'll automatically notify CMP of your membership

You can see California specific shipping info on CMP rifle sales page

Yes worth the extra $100 for service grade

Field grades used to be a nearly sure bet that you would get USGI wood but now field grades are coming with hackberry stocks (check cmp forums for info on those)

Ordering is luck of the draw, you can make requests but the people filling orders will be pulling from the rack in front of them and they are not obligated to look for your request, but they might
Old 05-17-2018, 7:32 PM

Only ship to you if you have FFL03/COE. Everything is answered on the CMP ordering website.
Old 05-17-2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
What is the cheapest membership option to satisfy that part of things? Anything worth getting that would be more valuable in Orange County for other things to double up the spend?

As for shipping, will they ship directly to me or does it need to go to a FFL?

I don't want to spend a lot at the moment, is it worth the extra $100 for the service grade?

I see people saying they ask for specific things like a SA receiver or barrel and USGI wood or something. Any links to basic information or any point in asking them for anything specific?
This is the CMP my friend. This is not the time to skimp. It doesn't get better than this.

It has to go to an FFL.

Order a service grade.

Include a small note on the order form "Request: low muzzle/throat #s, USGI wood"

If you prefer the look of a new stock and want something that you can refinish your way change "USGI wood" to "CMP wood".

All the stuff you have to do is a pain in the ***, but you will forget all about it when you receive your Garand. This rifle is something special and the CMP is the best gun deal currently available anywhere that I am aware of.
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth. BRE:#01443195 Fathom Realty
Old 05-17-2018, 8:56 PM

Thanks for all the information, USGI vs CMP wood is basically just old with history vs newer and looks better with the ability to customize a little right? So $750 + $25 GCA + FFL ($20) and wait what looks like 2-4 months?

Last edited by user01394; 05-17-2018 at 9:02 PM..
Old 05-17-2018, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post

Ordering is luck of the draw, you can make requests but the people filling orders will be pulling from the rack in front of them and they are not obligated to look for your request, but they might
Yes, I have toured the facility where they put together these rifles and this is exactly how they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmandowntown View Post
This is the CMP my friend. This is not the time to skimp. It doesn't get better than this.

Spot on! The requirements today are much less than the requirements when I got my first M1 over 30 years ago. This is a gift, take advantage of it while you can.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Old 05-17-2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post
Garand Collectors Association sends out a nice publication that makes for good coffee table reading and they'll automatically notify CMP of your membership

You can see California specific shipping info on CMP rifle sales page

Yes worth the extra $100 for service grade

Field grades used to be a nearly sure bet that you would get USGI wood but now field grades are coming with hackberry stocks (check cmp forums for info on those)

I also used the GCA membership to satisfy my requirements. I paid my due online on a Wednesday and by that Saturday I was at the CMP picking out my rifle. Even though it was electronic notification I still printed out my emailed GCA receipt and took it with me. They didn't end up needing my printout.
Old 05-17-2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmandowntown View Post

It has to go to an FFL.

Order a service grade.

Include a small note on the order form "Request: low muzzle/throat #s, USGI wood"

If you prefer the look of a new stock and want something that you can refinish your way change "USGI wood" to "CMP wood".

All the stuff you have to do is a pain in the ***, but you will forget all about it when you receive your Garand. This rifle is something special and the CMP is the best gun deal currently available anywhere that I am aware of.
The CMP is conservative with their grading system.

Every time I take mine to the range someone comes up with their child to show them the rifle that won the war. Of course I spin around and yell at them to get off my lawn. I'm just kidding, I let them shoot it. Sometimes they are too scared because they think it's priceless.

Buy them, shoot them, and post as many pictures as you can to encourage others to buy them.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-19-2018, 2:32 AM

If you are looking for cheap club membership the M1 Collectors Club is cheaper than the GCA. No quarterly mag but does everything the GCA does ,just cheaper club membership $14 per year
http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/
Old 05-19-2018, 4:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
So $750 + $25 GCA + FFL ($20) ?
Service grade ($750)
+membership (25?)
+dros ($25)
+ffl transfer fee ($25-$125 shop around)
+ CA sales tax ($60 if 8%)

This is if you don't have an 03ffl/COE
Old 05-19-2018, 5:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Sign up for an Appleseed event and add a Revolutionary War Veterans Association membership when you register. The RWVA will send you a membership card and Project Appleseed will give you a certificate of live fire training at the event. You’ll have a lot of fun, meet some good people, learn some American history, understand what it means to be a patriot, and become a better shooter in the process.

Old 05-19-2018, 6:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Sign up for an Appleseed event and add a Revolutionary War Veterans Association membership when you register. The RWVA will send you a membership card and Project Appleseed will give you a certificate of live fire training at the event. You’ll have a lot of fun, meet some good people, learn some American history, understand what it means to be a patriot, and become a better shooter in the process.
Now, there's an idea.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-19-2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Sign up for an Appleseed event and add a Revolutionary War Veterans Association membership when you register.
I did this and was shocked at how awesome it was. Project Appleseed is extremely cool. I learned proper form in shooting and I learned how to judge and improve my own shooting and I heard a lot of really cool stories. Please take the time out to do this. It isn't just cool, it gives you fundamentals that you can take home with you and teach to your kids.
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth. BRE:#01443195 Fathom Realty
Old 05-22-2018, 3:00 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmswins View Post
Every time I take mine to the range someone comes up with their child to show them the rifle that won the war.
I'd tell them to forget about the rifle and go thank a Veteran.
Old 05-23-2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I'd tell them to forget about the rifle and go thank a Veteran.
I have refreshed flowers at a veteran cemetery two Christmases in a row now. That is a sobering experience and puts a lot into perspective.
Old 05-23-2018, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!
Join the CRPA!

It's not rocket science. Yes, they are a CMP affiliated organization. Every CA gun owner should already be a member. Its easy just go to their website and join.

The CRPA is probably the best CA 2A rights organization doing the most work to protect our civil rights. They are very deserving of your membership. You also get a subscription to their CA gun rights specific magazine with your membership. It covers a lot of CA relevant gun rights issues including proposed gun control laws and litigation.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 05-23-2018 at 9:41 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 AM

Buy the highest grade that you can afford, you will not regret it... I bought a H&R that was collector grade metal in CMP wood when they were available for $950 a few years back, it is beautiful, I just wish that they would have had the correct GI wood for it, that would have really ice the cake.
Old 05-26-2018, 5:20 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned calguns shooting sports association. I believe membership is only $10.
Old 05-26-2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseboy84 View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned calguns shooting sports association. I believe membership is only $10.
It's $20 now. I joined early this year and am now waiting for my SG order to be processed by CMP.
Old 06-05-2018, 4:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Join the Army. No membership fees, they pay YOU!