Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Has DOJ kicked back any registrations using Raddlock BBs since they look different than the standard BB?

I'm crossing my fingers as most of my ARs have Raddlocks. I tend to think the DOJ just refers to any maglock as a "bullet button".

Also, the majority of AKs do not use Bullet Button's products. The most popular AK mag locks are the Solar Tactical types.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Has DOJ kicked back any registrations using Raddlock BBs since they look different than the standard BB?
I haven't heard of any kickbacks for raddlocks, but I've heard of lots of approvals with them. DOJ is probably pretty well used to seeing them in our pictures by now.

Just make sure it's screwed down all the way before you take the pictures.

Last edited by CandG; 05-23-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM

I’m trying to register my NPAP. I went thru the entire country list and I cannot find Serbia. I checked under S and Republic but it’s not there.

Also, if I don’t know the exact month I purchased the gun can I leave that part blank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post
I’m trying to register my NPAP. I went thru the entire country list and I cannot find Serbia. I checked under S and Republic but it’s not there.

Also, if I don’t know the exact month I purchased the gun can I leave that part blank?
Maybe put Yugoslavia? And then put a history lesson in the Comments box to inform DOJ that Yugoslavia broke apart in the 90's and is now a bunch of new countries, Serbia being among them

Old 05-23-2018, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Maybe put Yugoslavia? And then put a history lesson in the Comments box to inform DOJ that Yugoslavia broke apart in the 90's and is now a bunch of new countries, Serbia being among them

Hadn’t thought of that. I know governments are slow. But Serbia has been around for the better part of 12 years now so one would think they’d update their country list....

Old 05-23-2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post

I can confirm for zastava, serbia npap opap you can put Yugoslavia as country of origin. I registered one of each. Just as mentioned in comments just give them a history lesson keep it brief. "country or origin listed as Yugoslavia now Serbia since 1992. "

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 1:54 PM

Default Question regarding AR style pistols and characteristics

If originally purchased from a firearms dealer a dimensionally-compliant AR Style pistol in single shot configuration and later converted it to semiautomatic. Do I need to make note of this in the comments section and how should it read?

Last edited by AmirGTS; 05-25-2018 at 7:20 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 2:30 PM

Default When DOJ request more information

When DOJ request more information, do they change the status on the cfars website or just send an email? Is there any indication other than the email if they ask for more information?

Last edited by maseratinut; 05-23-2018 at 2:32 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 2:51 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseratinut View Post
When DOJ request more information, do they change the status on the cfars website or just send an email? Is there any indication other than the email if they ask for more information?
Yes, they status goes from "processing" to "incomplete" on the website. You then have the ability to edit the transaction, but remember sometimes they send you the incomplete email and the DOJ personnel still has that transaction open on their end. While it is still open on their end you cannot edit it, and sometimes the doofus agent has it open for up to a day and you can't do anything.

Just wait and it will open up as soon as the DOJ person closes it (this is also listed in the guide).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 05-23-2018, 5:07 PM

Thanks for all the help and information!
Old 05-23-2018, 5:09 PM

Update to my previous post:

Submitted my registration for 1x normal ar15, 1x 80% ar15, and 1x Was-10 on May 13, got confirmation emails for all three less than a week after, waiting for approval letters.. Thanks for the well written guide!

UPDATE, 5/23: received my approval letter today! only took 10 days from submittal date
Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 PM

Has anyone uploaded a picture of their gun with an AFG and marked the "forward pistol grip" checkbox and the application was accepted? Or did they not consider the AFG a forward pistol grip?
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Yes, include all the alphanumeric letters. Do not include spaces or hyphens. So for one of my ARs, the serial is T-5555, so I entered "T5555" and put in under Comments section "The actual serial is "T-5555", to avoid any confusion down the line.

If the DOJ hasn't sent you an Incomplete Notice yet, you may or may not be able to edit your submission. Click under Pending Transactions the rifle's serial number and scroll to the bottom to see if you still have an "Edit" button. If you don't, use the Report An Issue link.

If they've sent you an incomplete, you will have an "Edit" button and you can correct it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I wasn't able to edit it but after following your suggestion to submit a issue they sent the application back and I was able to add the 2 letter prefix to the serial number then resubmit it.
Old 05-24-2018, 6:26 AM
Veteran Member

If I know I made a mistake on my application do I have to wait for them to get back to me or can I just resubmit that firearm?
Old 05-24-2018, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
If I know I made a mistake on my application do I have to wait for them to get back to me or can I just resubmit that firearm?
You submit a issue ticket reference the CRIS#, they will open it for you to edit it then you can resubmit.
Old 05-24-2018, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedkcuf View Post
Has anyone uploaded a picture of their gun with an AFG and marked the "forward pistol grip" checkbox and the application was accepted? Or did they not consider the AFG a forward pistol grip?
Last I heard the AFGs are not considered a forward pistol grip. I would follow suit with the guide and remove any extra components (grips, scopes, etc). Getting your firearms registered is more important than having to argue with the DOJ about an accessory you have attached.
Old 05-24-2018, 7:28 AM

I think they've hired some poorly trained admin's in the past month. A number of rejections on rifles already accepted and registered under the primary owner, with the only reason for rejection being that the photos did not match the description. Yes, these are rejections under the secondary owner but already accepted under the primary (letter received and all!).

Much poorer and vague instructions that what was going on a few months back. And also telling me to select items like flash suppressors (which the firearm doesn't have) or remove folding stocks (which it does have but is pinned). Worst part is the reason for rejection isn't clear as it had been, so I'm left trying to guess what item I'm supposed to fix. And having to go through multiple rounds of rejections until a probably a different admin states what exactly is the cause for rejection. Is there grounds for some sort of class action litigation if this one (or few) badly trained or politically motivated Admin(s) continue to keep making applications as incomplete without any specific info on what characteristic they are contesting? When does this cross into being unreasonable in terms of time and resources to complete this form?

Also, the system doesn't send out emails any more stating that there is a problem with an application form.

Amature WWII historian and collector, with a focus on Japanese Military Aviation and Japanese American (Nisei)442nd/100th/MISLS items.

Looking for original condition 1911s, Lugers, Walthers, and Nambus in the SF Bay Area.

Last edited by JpnNambusWanted; 05-24-2018 at 7:31 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 7:37 AM
Banned

With all these issues you would think the gun organizations would be able to find a pro Second Amentment judge to issue an injunction to the DOJ to stop this crap. Or at least make the DOJ do a better job if that’s possible. Gun owners are facing felon charges if they make an innocent mistake.
Old 05-24-2018, 8:39 AM

Could someone assist me with regards to choosing the manufacturer for a couple firearms?

I went to register recently, and figured at this late time I wouldn't have any issue with the manufacturer being listed for what I'd have thought are "popular enough" firearms. I don't see any obvious choices for either though.

1) SA-85M. Made by FEG, imported by KBI (I'm not sure if they would have been the ones to add the thumbhole stock or do any final assembly?). On the receiver: the model name, caliber, and "Made in Hungary" is stamped forward of the magwell, with the "FEG" stamp and serial number nearby. Back by the trigger, "K.B.I. Inc" "Harrisburg, PA" is stamped.

The only 3 related manufacturer choices I saw were the following, but I'm not sure they'd be right to choose or wouldn't cause issues:
- "FEGYVERGYER TRANSLATION HUNGARIAN"
- "FEG UNION" (Mine doesn't say anything about "Union")
- "KBI, INC" (I assume I can't choose this because they are the importer in the US and this thing is stamped "Made in Hungary" and has the FEG stamp.

If I have to specify "FEG" in the comments section, do I still choose "U S" from the drop-down box per the guide's instruction (though this is stamped "Made in Hungary")? There is no "Made in Hungary" choice either in the drop-down list...

2) VEPR-12 shotgun. I can't believe there's no Molot choice for manufacturer! Only option I saw that was close for manufacturer was "VYATSKIE POLYANY", which is the name of the city/factory where the firearm was built and is stamped on the rifle.. But that's not a company name and "Molot" is clearly stamped there as well as on the other side of the receiver with the model name.

Again, same question regarding choosing "U S" as being the best choice for this Russian-made firearm before adding a line in the comments section about Molot being the manufacturer.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.. This is such a nerve-wracking experience given what's at stake.
Old 05-24-2018, 8:45 AM

I don't know about your first question, but for your second question yes you should select "VYATSKIE POLYANY", it's what DOJ has been accepting for other people registering VEPR-12's.

Old 05-24-2018, 9:10 AM

for Q1: since none are listed in selection list, use any name then write in comment section say " Make and Origin are not in selection list as shown in my photos"

DOJ will either updated the list or tell you which one to select.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer View Post
Could someone assist me with regards to choosing the manufacturer for a couple firearms?

I went to register recently, and figured at this late time I wouldn't have any issue with the manufacturer being listed for what I'd have thought are "popular enough" firearms. I don't see any obvious choices for either though.

1) SA-85M. Made by FEG, imported by KBI (I'm not sure if they would have been the ones to add the thumbhole stock or do any final assembly?). On the receiver: the model name, caliber, and "Made in Hungary" is stamped forward of the magwell, with the "FEG" stamp and serial number nearby. Back by the trigger, "K.B.I. Inc" "Harrisburg, PA" is stamped.

The only 3 related manufacturer choices I saw were the following, but I'm not sure they'd be right to choose or wouldn't cause issues:
- "FEGYVERGYER TRANSLATION HUNGARIAN"
- "FEG UNION" (Mine doesn't say anything about "Union")
- "KBI, INC" (I assume I can't choose this because they are the importer in the US and this thing is stamped "Made in Hungary" and has the FEG stamp.

If I have to specify "FEG" in the comments section, do I still choose "U S" from the drop-down box per the guide's instruction (though this is stamped "Made in Hungary")? There is no "Made in Hungary" choice either in the drop-down list...

2) VEPR-12 shotgun. I can't believe there's no Molot choice for manufacturer! Only option I saw that was close for manufacturer was "VYATSKIE POLYANY", which is the name of the city/factory where the firearm was built and is stamped on the rifle.. But that's not a company name and "Molot" is clearly stamped there as well as on the other side of the receiver with the model name.

Again, same question regarding choosing "U S" as being the best choice for this Russian-made firearm before adding a line in the comments section about Molot being the manufacturer.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.. This is such a nerve-wracking experience given what's at stake.
Old 05-24-2018, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
DOJ will either updated the list ...
Eventually.

They've been telling me that they're "in the process of adding" my manufacturer to the list for almost 2 months now.

Old 05-24-2018, 9:21 AM

Same as mine application. I think they will wait till after closing of the registration then update the list at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Eventually.

They've been telling me that they're "in the process of adding" my manufacturer to the list for almost 2 months now.
Old 05-24-2018, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
Same as mine application. I think they will wait till after closing of the registration then update the list at once.
But hey, at least they made sure to put North Korea in the list of manufacturers. For all of us who need to register our North Korean bullet-button rifles.

Old 05-24-2018, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedkcuf View Post
I registered two AR-15s and two AR-10s, all with Magpul AFG-2s and did NOT mark "forward pistol grip." All were approved with no comment about the AFG. I know the common advise is to take off accessories before taking the pictures, but I left my optics and AFGs on.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

How long has it taken CFARS to get back to you about some more rifles registered in the recent weeks? Submitted a few more guns this weekend and haven't heard a peep from them, whether there are any kickbacks or acceptances thus far. Seems like they're probably getting more backlogged as the deadline approaches.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Thumbs up Another Result

Folks
Thanks to everyone on Calguns and a special thanks to cockedandglocked for all the excellent help. I know your support made my process easier.

Submitted seven applications 4/18/2018
Received and made two correction requests 5/15/2018
Received In Progress emails on all apps 5/15/2018
Letter received 5/24/2018

I received quick and helpful responses from DOJ on my two issues questions.

Good luck to all the folks with applications still in progress.

Sending calguns contribution check today.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:32 AM

So with a n-pap df or mpx carbine do you select folding stock if both are pinned?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2Nova View Post
So with a n-pap df or mpx carbine do you select folding stock if both are pinned?
If it's pinned, don't check the box.

But if it still *looks* like it folds or telescopes, even though it doesn't, then make sure to include a note in the Comments section that says that the stock is pinned in a fixed position, because otherwise they're likely to just assume that it folds/telescopes. Might be a good idea to also include a close-up photo of how it's pinned, just to avoid potential confusion on their end.

Last edited by CandG; 05-24-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM

Ok. Thanks cockedandglocked. So after registration if they are over 26 inches folded or collapsed I could do so? I also see from the other thread for the magpul PRS I should select folding.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2Nova View Post
Ok. Thanks cockedandglocked. So after registration if they are over 26 inches folded or collapsed I could do so? I also see from the other thread for the magpul PRS I should select folding.
Yep, that's all correct.

Just make sure it's 30" or longer when you register it. After it's registered, 26" is the new OAL requirement for it.

Yep, DOJ wants us to check that box for PRS stocks, for whatever dumb reason. Probably not worth arguing with them about it.

Old 05-24-2018, 2:08 PM

Can you engrave on both side of receiver?

I originally engraved my info on one side and received my DOJ issued SN and wanted to put it on the other side with the same exact info from the previous side minus my own SN I had already engraved.
Old 05-24-2018, 2:09 PM

FINALLY received my email notifications today. Submitted on 3/18/18, received on 5/24/18. Now to wait for snail mail.
Old 05-24-2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawker View Post
Can you engrave on both side of receiver?

I originally engraved my info on one side and received my DOJ issued SN and wanted to put it on the other side with the same exact info from the previous side minus my own SN I had already engraved.
Sure, you can engrave on any visible part of the receiver. I've got some where the serial is on the front of the magwell. Some have half the info on one side, half on the other side. They don't care as long as all the required info is there, and visible.

Old 05-24-2018, 5:30 PM

Hey guys thanks in advance for any responses. I had a rifle DROS'ed with an incorrect serial # (ffl put serial # as the ###RO. The RO is just a receiver marking and not part of the serial-but thats how it was drosed. Should i reg with the incorrect serial# as it appears on my DROS or reg with the correct serial#? Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2018, 5:36 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorLove View Post
Hey guys thanks in advance for any responses. I had a rifle DROS'ed with an incorrect serial # (ffl put serial # as the ###RO. The RO is just a receiver marking and not part of the serial-but thats how it was drosed. Should i reg with the incorrect serial# as it appears on my DROS or reg with the correct serial#? Thanks in advance

EDIT: Bad Advice

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 05-24-2018 at 5:42 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorLove View Post

I would use the correct serial number, and then write in the Comments "firearm was originally DROS'd with the serial number written as xxxxxxRO."

Old 05-24-2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
I would go with what's on the Firearm since you will be taking a picture of it. I sincerely doubt they cross check against the DROS.

They absolutely cross-reference with the DROS /AFS. That's how the determine date of purchase for post-2014 guns.

But you should be fine as long as you make a comment about the DROS discrepancy.

Old 05-24-2018, 5:43 PM

Makes sense. Thanks for your responses and input, much appreicated

Old 05-24-2018, 6:11 PM

Forgive me if this has been covered in the past, but has anyone's registration been denied on the grounds that they are registering multiple AW's by mating the same upper with more than one lower?