Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 07-03-2018, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Allow me to correct you. Even when you paid $35, it wasn't $30 hahah. Yeah that's a $80 knife on sale for $40... I do have a sweet Kizer that I paid $50 for that is S35VN, but fit and finish is just ok.

I've seen the LAPG knives. I love many of their packs and gear bags - probably have a dozen.

Do not love many of their LA PG branded items like gloves, most pants, etc... Low-end Chinese stuff. Have not tried the knives, but I am a huge ZT, Spyderco fan even some Benchmades like the Contego and Presidio... LAPG knives probably can't compete fit and finish even if they are S35VN.
Allow me...

I am a knife snob, so like you I was worried about buying a LAPG knife. I drove to the store to check it out first. I have carried Spyderco, Emerson, Mcusta and many others for years. I rotate depending on how I feel for the day. But I consistantly go to the LAPG as I love the feel of the action and the steel is amazing.

If you buy one sign up for the emails from LAPG. You will get a 20% off offer.

In other words, I agree with you. But I'll put my rep on the line for this folder.
Old 07-03-2018, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boludo12 View Post
https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-kn-tbf...ing-s35vn.html

It has gone up in price from 35 when I bought the first edition. Its now tip up carry. I will be buying the 2nd edition as this knife is that good.
Getting closer... INDEP15 code for 15% off and the knife is $34 plus $8 shipping.
Old 07-03-2018, 7:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Allow me...

I am a knife snob, so like you I was worried about buying a LAPG knife. I drove to the store to check it out first. I have carried Spyderco, Emerson, Mcusta and many others for years. I rotate depending on how I feel for the day. But I consistantly go to the LAPG as I love the feel of the action and the steel is amazing.

If you buy one sign up for the emails from LAPG. You will get a 20% off offer.

In other words, I agree with you. But I'll put my rep on the line for this folder.
I can't take you seriously unless you carried ZT. Kidding.

Yeah I get their catalogs... I snap a phone pic of the catalog code so I have it when I order. I used to when I ordered from them regularly anyway.

One thing about cheap knives is the fit and finish is always different till you get to real bargains like Kershaw Blur level, etc... honestly it'd be tough for me to pick a $40 LAPG over a $40 BLUR, but I rarely buy a folding knife anymore. Every BLUR I have was basically exactly the same (except blade shape, steel type). That's pretty amazing to me.

I bet you get five LAPG's and they all feel different (Action-wise).

Knives don't have to be cheap to vary either... I have a lot of Presidios... all of them were different. Yeah Benchmade aiin't the best IMHO.

ZT is the best IMHO.
Old 07-03-2018, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I can't take you seriously unless you carried ZT. Kidding.

Yeah I get their catalogs... I snap a phone pic of the catalog code so I have it when I order. I used to when I ordered from them regularly anyway.

One thing about cheap knives is the fit and finish is always different till you get to real bargains like Kershaw Blur level, etc... honestly it'd be tough for me to pick a $40 LAPG over a $40 BLUR, but I rarely buy a folding knife anymore. Every BLUR I have was basically exactly the same (except blade shape, steel type). That's pretty amazing to me.

I bet you get five LAPG's and they all feel different (Action-wise).

Knives don't have to be cheap to vary either... I have a lot of Presidios... all of them were different. Yeah Benchmade aiin't the best IMHO.

ZT is the best IMHO.
I can't argue with your ZT opinion. They are immaculate knives. I will add one, then many to my collection some day.

I looked through 3 boxes before choosing the LAPG I bought. They were all close in fit/finish. The one I bought had a consistent lockup that made the difference.

I bought it as I wanted to see if the S35VN was that different from the 440c/8cr/9cr/VG10 and other steels I have used. The answer is yes. I check my blades with jeweler magnifier while sharpening. The steel looks better when polished with a ceramic stone and stays sharp for so long. But dont ever use a carbide sharpener on it like the smith pocket tool. That jacked up the blade so bad. I did this on a camping trip. Took me hours to reshape the blade with my lansky jig.
Old 07-03-2018, 8:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
But dont ever use a carbide sharpener on it like the smith pocket tool. That jacked up the blade so bad. I did this on a camping trip. Took me hours to reshape the blade with my lansky jig.
I use Lansky ceramic rods setup mostly and a standard Work Sharp on bigger fixed blades or blades I've convexed like my ZT 0909.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Still digging this blade!

Taped boxes, fruit servings, warded off a few bees with it

Keep it away from sand and it works.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 AM

Looks like Prime day has started early. Honey Badger Flipper large models selling at 16% off making them even cheaper than the small model.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:09 AM

Just ordered the large tan. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-01-2018, 12:26 PM

I gave some of my Honey Badger Flippers away as gifts and replaced them with models I have not yet owned. Here alongside my EDC large black model is my new medium green and small tan. Looks like the green is a hot seller as it's not always in stock on Amazon.

Old 09-02-2018, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
I gave some of my Honey Badger Flippers away as gifts and replaced them with models I have not yet owned. Here alongside my EDC large black model is my new medium green and small tan. Looks like the green is a hot seller as it's not always in stock on Amazon.

Great thread. Thanks for posting. Can't wait to get my order delivered!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 AM

I know, the anticipation sucks!
Which one did you order?
Old 09-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I know, the anticipation sucks!
Which one did you order?
Same exact set as your picture of three on that citrus.

My current favorite knock around set of knives is the Spyderco Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious and Resilience series. Probably the cheapest Spyderco knives made but have really worked well for me. My EDC changes daily depending on the project, outing or job ahead.

Last edited by iambic; 09-02-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambic View Post
Great thread. Thanks for posting. Can't wait to get my order delivered!

I'm disappointed in my Honey Badger. It doesn't flip open easily, and actually needs a sharp wrist flick in order to fully open. I've tired Tuf-Glide, etc. The flipping function is weak....at least for the one I bought (large, btw). Perhaps you need to lower your expectations.

Last edited by ilaw; 09-03-2018 at 6:41 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaw View Post
I'm disappointed in my Honey Badger. It doesn't flip open easily, and actually needs a sharp wrist flick in order to fully open. I've tired Tuf-Glide, etc. The flipping function is weak....at least for the one I bought (large, btw). Perhaps you need to lower your expectations.
Sorry to hear that. Did you return it?
I'm not shy about returning things to Amazon.

Old 09-04-2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaw View Post
Before I got these I had never had a flipper before. I was also pressing on the flipper tab and wondering why it was tough to open.

I then realized you have to make as if you're stroking the flipper towards the rear of the knife and it popped right out.

Also, after loosening the pivot screw very slightly I inserted a thin piece of paper between the handle and the blade and slid it back and forth. Some gunk came out and voila opened as slick as anything. A small drop of oil on the detent ball can also help.
Old 09-04-2018, 5:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Before I got these I had never had a flipper before. I was also pressing on the flipper tab and wondering why it was tough to open.

I then realized you have to make as if you're stroking the flipper towards the rear of the knife and it popped right out.
Friends who see me slam open a 0452, 0801, or 0909 out and want to try (who have never used a flipper before) 9/10 times cannot get it to work. With a $30 knife it could be that or it could be the knife. The video I have seen looks like these flip really well, but at $30 they cannot have the QC of a ZT. If they do, I'd buy one regardless of the steel.
Old 09-05-2018, 2:22 PM

Hi Crufflers. I did 2 short videos to show the slickness of the bearings. The large black I have carried for months and the medium and small models are straight out of the box with no adjustment. It may not be obvious in the video but the medium and small models open quicker than the large probably due to the lighter blades. I have given away a few of these knives too and they all performed flawlessly. Of course at this price level there could be some which are stiffer.

Ilaw, if it looks like yours are not as slick as mine in the video then send it back for an exchange. What size is your knife?

Demonstrating the action of the Honey Badger Flipper blade up

Demonstrating the action of the Honey Badger Flipper blade sideways

Last edited by Zimbo; 09-06-2018 at 6:17 AM..
Old 09-05-2018, 6:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It may not be obvious in the video but the medium and small models open quicker than the large probably due to the lighter blades. I have given away a few of these knives too and they all performed flawlessly. Of course at this price level there could be some which are stiffer.
Sounds right... same thing seems apparent on my Kershaw Nura's (3.0 and 3.5) Both smooth as hell, but the small one is faster. Same for the 0452CF and 0450 for that matter.

Nura's are a different look (classic Sinkevich), but in a similar if not lower price range with KVT washer bearings.

#3,#4 in this pic
Old 09-10-2018, 3:38 PM

I haven't tied a lanyard in a long time. I found some green 550 to match the knife and used some bicycle chain spacers for the bling! I love the fact that the knife has a deep pocket carry clip but sometimes when my hands are dirty using the lanyard to get the knife out out of my pocket is useful.

[/
Old 09-17-2018, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

It still kicks ***.