Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-23-2019, 1:30 PM

An HK to carry? I never considered it because for me it would be too big. I can barely EDC an USPc. Biggest gun I can carry concealed is a G30SF and that's with clothing considerations first, but I can carry a Kahr all day long in shorts if I want. Given it wouldn't be much fun, I've shot +p out of my Kahr P9 and that feels like a 45. So as much as I love HKs, for this I'm sticking with a Kahr.
Old 01-23-2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Because 10MM is way more fun and .40 gives you more velocity.

End Hi Jack
I am ashamed to admit I never got into those rounds. But sounds like 10mm would be fun. . .40? ehh.

Re Hi Jack
Old 01-23-2019, 1:39 PM

I carry an XDs 45 3.3 barrel in the winter.
Old 01-23-2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
I am ashamed to admit I never got into those rounds. But sounds like 10mm would be fun. . .40? ehh.

Re Hi Jack
10mm Glocks can shoot .40 without any modification.... so cheaper ammo or if 10mm is unavailable, etc. In fact, my G20 very well may have seen more .40 ammo than it has 10mm.

OP: the problem with Kahrs is not that the trigger is long. It's actually pretty smooth. The problem is reset. The reset is ALL the way back out which is a deal killer for me.
Old 01-23-2019, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
An HK to carry? I never considered it because for me it would be too big. I can barely EDC an USPc. Biggest gun I can carry concealed is a G30SF and that's with clothing considerations first, but I can carry a Kahr all day long in shorts if I want. Given it wouldn't be much fun, I've shot +p out of my Kahr P9 and that feels like a 45. So as much as I love HKs, for this I'm sticking with a Kahr.
I didn't think recoil was bad at all with the P45, but I'm used to my Bulldog. I liked the Kahr enough I had to get one last summer. Nice lightweight 45acp to have.
Old 01-23-2019, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
I have a Colt Lightweight Officer .45acp, quite a nice gun but I won't want it for conceal carry/self-defense. I use it mainly as a range toy because it is not 100% reliable like my Beretta Px4 Storm.

Don't get me wrong, is not unreliable, but let's say you'll get a failure to eject every hundred rounds or so. Which might not matter for a carry gun but it worries me a little.

I have changed the spring to a Wolff one and also change to new Wilson Combat magazine. It has helped in reliability and there are days I can shoot without a single failure. But it just creates that small doubt in me.

Just my 2 cents.

I've heard good things about S&W Shield, I'll say look into that first.
I bought mine in the late-1990's. It's never burped on a round. It's my normal carry piece. It's light enough you don't feel it after 15 minutes or so. I haven't needed to try non-Colt magazines as it shoots fine with oem 6 round or 1911 7 or 8 round mags.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 01-24-2019, 6:38 AM

Shield 45
Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Calguns Addict

"There is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and 45 ACP cartridges." -Dr. Vincent Di Maio

https://us.macmillan.com/author/drvincentdimaio/

"Basically all the standard service calibers work when using good quality ammunition.". -Dr. Gary Roberts

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?author=5

Long story short. No reason to carry 45 Auto. It's not more effective than 9mm, costs more to train with, requires more skill.
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 01-24-2019, 5:48 PM

Sig P245.

If you see another one, let me know