Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-09-2013, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Wish they would make it with same length barrel as P226... I'm not a fan of having a compact (sub 4") length barrel as my only handgun. There is a reason the the P226, G17, USP9, 92FS, CZ75b have the barrel lengths that they do. If longer barrels were not an improvement for accuracy once past 50ft or so, ALL handguns would have short barrels for weight and size savings. Kinda like all the people who go buy a G19 over a G17 for a range gun... why in the heck would you do that if you're not using it as a CCW?? FYI, my ex wife just bought that same gun here in SD from Discount Gun Mart last week for $439..... to back up her G17. Not that you would do the same thing, but go watch Youtube videos where guys are shooting CZ's and Berettas @ 100 yards and hitting metal targets... then watch what happens when they try it with smaller guns.... they have no idea where their bullets are even going.

Last edited by missiontrails; 03-09-2013 at 6:56 AM..
Old 03-09-2013, 2:33 PM

So I started the 10 day wait for the sp2022 in 9mm. As most people complained about, it came in a cardboard box with only one magazine. I also saw that the guide rod is indeed polymer so I ordered a stainless steel rod to replace it. The magazine purchase for this pistol is just like what everybody said; hard to find! I did some serious searching and found nothing. They're typically priced between $40 to $50 each, which is fine because they are nice magazines with nice base plates. So I need help all. Can anyone please suggest a place to buy extra magazines? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2013, 2:41 PM

I lucked out and found 4 mags for my HK USP on ebay for $35. You have to scour eBay and different sites till you luck out.

Good luck, my buddy has a 2022 and its a blast to shoot, I almost bought one myself.
Old 03-09-2013, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

10 rounds mags are nearly impossible to find at MSRP (or anything near it). Get an Uplula mag loader to help reload. That assumes you find any 9mm ammo.

I managed to get 2 spare mags (total 3). I'd love to get 2 more but will wait until things calm down.

Sent another 110 rounds of mixed breed into the backstop last weekend. Flawless except for their bad sense of direction.
Old 03-09-2013, 3:21 PM

Don't buy it!!.....because it will just make it harder for me to find the mags.

JK, great gun, but as someone else pointed out...it is *impossible* to find mags for it. Unless you like spending over $100 off ebay.
Old 03-09-2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miglo View Post
Don't buy it!!.....because it will just make it harder for me to find the mags.

JK, great gun, but as someone else pointed out...it is *impossible* to find mags for it. Unless you like spending over $100 off ebay.
I just ordered 2 mags from exile machine and they shipped within 20 minutes. I searched high and low for these...

Unfortunately it looks like they're now sold out
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/ma...anufacturer=31

-Armand
Sent from my Apple Galaxy Note 5
Old 03-09-2013, 5:19 PM

I don't own a .9mm verison of the Sig 2022, however I did purchase one in .40sw W/Nitesights earlier this year from Calgunner "yzernie" for $435 ($500 W/Tax & DROS); he is a fantastic guy to work with!

I must say, the SP2022 is a very modest and robust weapon -- you wouldn't think that a weapon at this price bracket would be of "high" quality, but the SP2022 certainly is above that and is upwards of being "excellent". The proprietary Sig finish on the slide is downright gorgeous and very durable. The individual components seem flimsy, but they are made and work well. Moreover, even though the pistol has Sig's well-known quality, I will say that the polymer frame slightly takes away from this.. it feels like a cheaper than cheap polymer. Now if Magpul made a polymer frame for the SP2022.. this would certainly and without a doubt be the utlimate package. I absolutely adore the Double Action for this pistol because of the control placement; I can easily manipulate the de-cock lever and slide-lock easily but at the same time, not as easy so as to accidentally activate/engage them. While the trigger is long for DA, it is smooth throughout the pull. The trigger does not engage the hammer until the absolute last moment before the trigger itself hits the back rear portion of the guard, so some might find this quite awkward. What is more, the single stage portion of the trigger is phenomenal because of its crisp yet smooth pull. There is a single major draw-back of the SP2022, and that is the scarcity for its magazines, especially in .40sw. The second point to this is the high price for one (typically $40-60 per mag). The second drawback is a somewhat minor one, which is the polymer guide rod; need I explain why? Also, a very minor thing is that the front portion of the frame is a hair short, meaning that if you eject a magazine and insert a new one, you might clip your pinky in the process if you aren't careful. Lastly, if you notice that the SP2022 looks large from the pictures, it does look actually that way in person.. but when you hold one, the weapon is nice and cute

What would I suggest that you get for this pistol right off the bat if you were going to purchase one right now?

1. Stainless steel guide rod.
2. Sig Pro Large (medium) Rubber Grip
3. Get at least 3 extra magazines
4. Nitesights

-Jarred

Last edited by Zenith; 03-09-2013 at 7:12 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 6:43 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo View Post
I don’t hear much about the SP2022 or maybe the other polymers are that much more popular. About a year ago, I remember reading on here about some complaints on this piece. Anyway, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gunho
Not sure if serious? The 9mm SP2022 is the unofficial handgun of Calguns!

LOADS of threads on it, especially when Turners was blowin' 'em out at $400 a pop the past couple of years or so. Seems we had a weekly SP thread to go with the marketplace whine threads.

They're good guns. They did have a run of bad ones awhile back but I believe that issue has been resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 03-09-2013, 7:01 PM

Still trying to figure out what's wrong with the polymer guide rod. They don't bother me much. Pistols works just fine with them.

Seems to me that a steel guide rod would cause a harder impact against the polymer frame than a polymer guide rod...
Old 03-09-2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neouser View Post
Still trying to figure out what's wrong with the polymer guide rod. They don't bother me much. Pistols works just fine with them.

Seems to me that a steel guide rod would cause a harder impact against the polymer frame than a polymer guide rod...
Truth be told, there isn't anything "wrong" with the polymer guide rod. It's just one of those things that makes a person wonder if the part is able to withstand the constant reciprocation of the recoil spring/slide over an indefinite period of time. And since there is an option for a metal guide rod, we figure that its a good 'upgrade' because it's the act of replacing plastic with metal, and logic tells us that metal tends to be more durable than plastic

Peace of mind in that the part won't end up in pieces because we got a new part for our piece; now we are able to fight for peace in this country that is dividing up into pieces

-Jarred

Last edited by Zenith; 03-09-2013 at 7:23 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 1:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So I started the 10 day wait for the sp2022 in 9mm. As most people complained about, it came in a cardboard box with only one magazine. I also saw that the guide rod is indeed polymer so I ordered a stainless steel rod to replace it. The magazine purchase for this pistol is just like what everybody said; hard to find! I did some serious searching and found nothing. They're typically priced between $40 to $50 each, which is fine because they are nice magazines with nice base plates. So I need help all. Can anyone please suggest a place to buy extra magazines? Thanks in advance.

Call Sig and see if they have a waiting list for those mags and if you could be put on it. I am on one for P229 mags .

Last edited by Napalm Bulldog; 03-10-2013 at 1:08 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 8:33 AM

Looks like they are back in stock, gunho and miglo ygpm

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/ma...5rd-55819.html

-Armand
Old 03-10-2013, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Looks like they are back in stock, gunho and miglo ygpm

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/ma...5rd-55819.html

-Armand
Unfortunatly for those of us in California, the 10 RD is sold out

But if you live in the free world best hop on it soon. There are 4 left according to the stock counter...
Old 03-10-2013, 9:07 AM

Unless you have some sp2009 mags from 1999. Then you could rebuild those

-Armand
Old 03-10-2013, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySquirrel View Post
One complaint I've heard is that field stripping it is a lot harder compared to a Glock. Personally, I don't find it hard at all.

Another is that magazines are expensive and hard to find. I have to agree here especially for 9mm.
not sure how easy it is to field strip a glock, but the sp2022 is a cake walk to take down. it's push the pin slightly, pull the slide back and push the pin all the way out. takes but a second to do. picked up mine in dec in .40 with night sights for $479 before tax and DROS. seems like they're harder to find lately and at a higher price. have had no issues with mine so far.
Old 03-10-2013, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
Not sure if serious? The 9mm SP2022 is the unofficial handgun of Calguns!
I was somewhat serious, but that's only because I'm not an avid calgun viewer. And the few times I peek in and read, I typically see glock, xd's, and m&p's. I'm sure if I do a thread search, I'll find many discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Truth be told, there isn't anything "wrong" with the polymer guide rod. It's just one of those things that makes a person wonder if the part is able to withstand the constant reciprocation of the recoil spring/slide over an indefinite period of time. And since there is an option for a metal guide rod, we figure that its a good 'upgrade' because it's the act of replacing plastic with metal, and logic tells us that metal tends to be more durable than plastic

Peace of mind in that the part won't end up in pieces because we got a new part for our piece; now we are able to fight for peace in this country that is dividing up into pieces

-Jarred
Haha, you hit it on the spot. I agree that with most people, it's not so much the functionality, but more on the self conscience. I simply do it for looks; the polymer one looks cheap (IMHO). Also, after the black starts fading off the barrel, I plan to remove all the black and polish it. It would then be a perfect match with the SS guide rod; just like what I did with my P226.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abulldog4me View Post
Call Sig and see if they have a waiting list for those mags and if you could be put on it. I am on one for P229 mags .
Yes, i'm all over that. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-8 View Post
Unfortunatly for those of us in California, the 10 RD is sold out
Yes, I agree. I found a few places with the 15 rd available, but I'm not ready to start engineering a way to cap it to 10. In my intensive search for the past 2 days, I've setup about 10 to 15 (in stock) notifications. So i'll give it about a week to two for inventory to arrive. If all fails, then I may resort to customizing a 15 rounder; if they're still available.

Last edited by GunHo; 03-10-2013 at 9:54 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 10:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mine was under $400 when I bought it in Dec last year. Looked at a G19, PX4 Storm, M&P 9, and an XD. For the fit, finish, feel and finance (had to keep all F's), the Sig was a no brainer, even paying for 2 extra mags.

YMMV.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudadeii View Post
Mine was under $400 when I bought it in Dec last year. Looked at a G19, PX4 Storm, M&P 9, and an XD. For the fit, finish, feel and finance (had to keep all F's), the Sig was a no brainer, even paying for 2 extra mags.

YMMV.
Funny how we question price versus quality that seems too good. You have to wonder how a pistol is priced lower than all the others in the same category. The cardboard box and single mag is the likely reason. The convincing factor for me is that it's a Sig; which alone, is a deal maker. In considering, looks, features, and functionality, the SP2022 was my top pick. After 2 more mags and the ss guide rod, the price is closer to the average polymer price.
Old 03-10-2013, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Funny how we question price versus quality that seems too good. You have to wonder how a pistol is priced lower than all the others in the same category. The cardboard box and single mag is the likely reason. The convincing factor for me is that it's a Sig; which alone, is a deal maker. In considering, looks, features, and functionality, the SP2022 was my top pick. After 2 more mags and the ss guide rod, the price is closer to the average polymer price.
And probably the fact that, regardless of whether it's Glock, H&K, Sig, S&W, etc... it probably costs the company a couple bucks to pop a polymer frame out of a mold. After the initial cost of R&D, the rest of the cost is probably put into advertising and product placement. How hard do you see Sig pushing the SP2022? How many shows or movies have you seen it in?
Old 03-10-2013, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neouser View Post
How many shows or movies have you seen it in?
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/SIG_Pro_SP2022#SP_2022
Old 03-10-2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post
Compared against the 226...

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/SIG-Sauer_...SIG-Sauer_P226

And USP

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_USP
Old 03-10-2013, 4:00 PM

1. Stainless steel guide rod.
2. Sig Pro Large (medium) Rubber Grip
3. Get at least 3 extra magazines
4. Nitesights

-Jarred[/QUOTE]

Where did you find that rubber grip?
Old 03-10-2013, 6:23 PM

No grease, but well oiled.
Old 03-10-2013, 6:24 PM

I love my Sp2022. Over 2k rounds of 9mm and not one FTF or FTE. I've seen a person awhile back that cerakoted his OD green. I really want to do that, but iono if it is expensive and who does it in the Bay Area. Does anyone can give me a clue? lol But anyways you can never go wrong with the 2022.

Old 03-10-2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
Wish they would make it with same length barrel as P226... I'm not a fan of having a compact (sub 4") length barrel as my only handgun. There is a reason the the P226, G17, USP9, 92FS, CZ75b have the barrel lengths that they do. If longer barrels were not an improvement for accuracy once past 50ft or so, ALL handguns would have short barrels for weight and size savings. Kinda like all the people who go buy a G19 over a G17 for a range gun... why in the heck would you do that if you're not using it as a CCW?? FYI, my ex wife just bought that same gun here in SD from Discount Gun Mart last week for $439..... to back up her G17. Not that you would do the same thing, but go watch Youtube videos where guys are shooting CZ's and Berettas @ 100 yards and hitting metal targets... then watch what happens when they try it with smaller guns.... they have no idea where their bullets are even going.

I was hitting plates at 100 yards easy with my Sig2340. Easier to do with my Beretta 92fs, but I think that's more of a .40 vs 9 thing.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMASTR View Post
Here you are sir:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-grips-sigpro-large.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/510...m-rubber-black

You can occasionally find these grips on Ebay or on Gunbroker as well.
These grips are ridiculously amazing.. not only do they look great, but they feel fantastic, and they are much more rigid than the stock factory grip straps.
Good luck!

-Jarred
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 PM

Sig 2022, most people would agree that it's underrated. One of the best trigger of the Sig lineup. Butter smooth. If you could find one that was made in Germany, it would be better. But it is very hard nowadays. About two years ago, Bud's had them with nightsights and made in Germany for $349. Got both of mine in 9mm and .40 for about $440 each OTD.
Old 03-20-2013, 8:43 PM

Finally got her home. My first polymer and first compact pistol for my collection. I actually was aiming for a more compact than 3.8 inch barrel but that will come later. Grip feels great and the especially like the trigger pull. Now it's mining for extra mags which appears to be just as hard to find and worth as much as gold.

Old 03-20-2013, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

congrats!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 PM

Sig party! I guess I should join.
Old 03-21-2013, 2:10 PM

Congrats, you're officially in the Amazing SP2022 9mm Magazine Race! I've had a two month head start and yet we're still neck and neck.
Old 03-21-2013, 2:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Held my ex wife's new one last night....DID NOT like the fact that my pinky came to rest on the mag bottom, and not the frame.
Old 03-21-2013, 4:18 PM

Ya pinky hangs over the mag but that's ok, it still feels great since the mag has a lip on the bottom.
Old 03-21-2013, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ya pinky hangs over the mag but that's ok, it still feels great since the mag has a lip on the bottom.
Yeah, I think that's the purpose of the mag lip and new design. I like it a lot, actually.
Old 03-21-2013, 5:22 PM

I have one, its great. I've put maybe 2k rounds through it and had one stovepipe.
Old 03-21-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
$499 is a great deal, especially with night sights. I guess $529 at Reeds is the best i found. Most gun shop in nor cali is cleaned out.
they where selling for 429 down here in sac earlier this year.
Old 03-21-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMASTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Here you are sir:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-grips-sigpro-large.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/510...m-rubber-black

You can occasionally find these grips on Ebay or on Gunbroker as well.
These grips are ridiculously amazing.. not only do they look great, but they feel fantastic, and they are much more rigid than the stock factory grip straps.
Good luck!

-Jarred
I personally strongly advise against that grip. It's not rubber, it's plastic, and it's the slippery kind of plastic as well. The tab that holds the grip in place refused to budge as well, so I ended up breaking it in order to get it off.

The grips that the SP2022 come with now are grippy and have better ergonomics than the older version IMO.
Old 03-21-2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post
I personally strongly advise against that grip. It's not rubber, it's plastic, and it's the slippery kind of plastic as well. The tab that holds the grip in place refused to budge as well, so I ended up breaking it in order to get it off.

The grips that the SP2022 come with now are grippy and have better ergonomics than the older version IMO.
What? No rubber.. Are you sure?
I'm not saying that you're wrong, because there could have been more than one variation of this grip. But the grip that I currently have (linked above) are half plastic and half rubber. Now while the rubber isn't sticky, it is still fairly grippy
Now that you mention it, my old medium grip strap (non rubber) was aggressively textured which was a great thing -- maybe my second SP2022 will have them installed.. I just like the bulk of the large Pro grips

-Jarred
Old 03-21-2013, 8:58 PM

Does the 2022 have an external safety? A decocker?
Old 03-21-2013, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRai2001 View Post
Does the 2022 have an external safety? A decocker?
No external safety, but a decocker.

As for the stock (plastic) grips, they kind of suck. I purchased a Hogue Hand-All slip on grip... got rid of that. Ended up buying some Sig Pro rubber grips (Medium), and makes a world of difference. The Hogue Hand-All is great too, but just didn't like the slip-on because it made the grip slightly larger.