Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Default Anyone get the Nikon m-308 yet? Says available 10/23/12

Title says it all. I've been waiting for a while and just want to see people reviews since everyone has been waiting. Is is truely available today?

Please let us know your response? And reviews when it's in your hand.
Old 10-23-2012, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like another "I’ll pass on it" Nikon product. Not much I like about this optic, but I guess it’s not a bad price point considering it comes with a mount... but I’ve been less than impressed with that Nikon has been putting out lately. So many other better options on the market.

1" tube

Small objective

40 MOA of internal travel, even with the included 20 MOA mount it’s still 15 MOA less than a Vortex PST and you can always add a 20 MOA mount to that scope as well.

I really don’t know where Nikon gets these reticle designs but it’s near useless for ranging and measurement.

I’ll take a standard mil or moa graduated reticle over their BDC or useless Nikoplex any day of the week.
Old 10-23-2012, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

where did you it ?
Old 10-23-2012, 6:42 PM

Mb, It is out there and shipping from retailers to those who ordered early. I have had the opportunity to look one over at Shot and some of my buddies have taken it to 700 yards in Utah just a few months ago with rave reviews. It comes with the Nikoplex and Rapid action Turret to 800 yards and the BDC reticle. Use it with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to increase your accuracy even more. Similar to Nikon's M-223 there's a big demand for this scope for a reason. As I tell folks every day, take a look down the tube and buy the scope that will best for YOUR needs.

Here's a post from another site by a guy who actually has some trigger time with this optic and does not work for Nikon.

"Its my buddies rifle that I did some work to and wanted to see how it shot. I had installed a Geissele trigger, Magpul stock and a few other items. Last month I was able to shoot this rifle out to 700yds at Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf. I hated the trigger so much I had him sent me the rifle to work on. The new Nikon M308 worked great on the rifle. The reticle has holders from 100yds out to 800yds. Between the semi auto and the M308 engaging targets was fast and very accurate. Spirit Ridge is one awesome place to shoot. They have targets out to 1300yds. With the Armalite we shot at 300,500 and 700yds. First round hits at 300 and 500 with no problem. 700yds was tough with the high winds. Today I was able to get 3/4 groups without even working up a load. The rifle also has the M308 mount with 20MOA built in."

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...940/m-3081.jpg
Old 10-23-2012, 9:26 PM

Yes I know about the scope and it sounds great on paper, have seen a few initial reviews on you tube but wanted to see if people are actually getting their hands on the new scope now given its just released.

So anyone get their scope yet? Can't wait to hear from real world people on the forum. Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Looks like another "I’ll pass on it" Nikon product. Not much I like about this optic, but I guess it’s not a bad price point considering it comes with a mount... but I’ve been less than impressed with that Nikon has been putting out lately. So many other better options on the market.

1" tube

Small objective

40 MOA of internal travel, even with the included 20 MOA mount it’s still 15 MOA less than a Vortex PST and you can always add a 20 MOA mount to that scope as well.

I really don’t know where Nikon gets these reticle designs but it’s near useless for ranging and measurement.

I’ll take a standard mil or moa graduated reticle over their BDC or useless Nikoplex any day of the week.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on these scopes too. I'm not sure what the thought process was behind putting a BDC turret on a scope without a rangefinding reticle (Mil Dot, MP-8, etc.). The BDC reticle as well completely lacking a standardized method of mil based rangefinding. I like the glass and overall quality of Nikon products, but I think they dropped the ball on the design features of these scopes. I suppose for a company that also sells laser rangefinders though, the lack of a rangefinding reticle might not be a bad thing....
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I might as well just start ranting about it because I’m in the mood lol.

There are so many things wrong with that scope and Nikons marketing approach with the M series that it almost feels like an insult last time I used one of their products, and their Spot On software isn’t helping their cause either.

I don’t want to sound like I am coming off the wrong way, but I just don’t like the scope from a fundamentals standpoint, and I feel the same way about their Spot On software… it really deters someone from learning how to operate a target scope the right way.

Along with many features provided in a scope, I think reticle design is extremely important. A good target scope brings to the table a platform to learn on which can be adapted on any rifle, with any cartridge. Unfortunately Nikon does not deliver on that front with their M series.

Instead of telling me drop in MIL or MOA, Spot on tells you drop in Inches, which then needs to be converted to MOA in order to dial in correction using their ¼ MOA turrets.

For example a 100 yard zero using a 2.7” sight height with 168gr OTM at 700 yards has a drop of “150 inches”, it would be a lot easier to just tell me -21 MOA drop. Dial that into the turret and off you go. On the fly in a hold over situation, honestly how the hell do you figure out how much -150 inches in in your reticle? Even if I knew the drop in MOA, I am forced to dial it in…

Then in case you can’t figure that out because it really isn’t the best way to represent drop over distance when actually shooting with a scope, they tell you how many “clicks” you need. Excellent way to get lost in the dial, I honestly can’t remember the last time I actually counted how many “clicks” I needed.

On top of that, with the large numbers of variables and ammo selection to negate the use of a pre-calibrated BCD reticle for a long range rifle, you now need to figure out how much to hold over using a reticle that’s somewhat cryptic compared to something with a MIL or MOA scale, which would directly correlate to a dope sheet or a good ballistic calculator like Ballistics FTE or similar, which is also better than Spot On by an epic measure.

You completely remove the ability to range a target using the reticle, and there is no way to actually measure correction if you are target shooting with their reticles…

To top it all off they provide you a “Field Reference Ballistics chart” since hold over obviously changes with every magnification value making the entire process even more more complicated… This is also true with a standard SFP scope, but it’s a lot easier to use with a MOA scale then trying to remember or even figure out what dot means what with which ammo and at what magnification....

This is what a real reticle should look like… and anyone willing to learn and worth their salt as a long distance or precision shooter is probably using one, and if they are not, they should be.

Old 10-24-2012, 7:24 AM

Ok ok, I get it, it may not be the ideal scope for me, you guys seem to really dislike the idea of the BDC reticle and the spot on software. I need to do more research and probably take a training class on using a high end scope like extreme listed. Seems pretty complicated so far but I'm willing to learn, probably the best idea so far. Can you guys point me to some good training material. I'm also a front sight member some see a class in my future.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Mb, The best thing to do is look down a few tubes, think what you are going to use the scope for and buy which ever one you think will serve your purposes the best. I hunt with a rangefinder so I know how far I am going to shoot which makes using the BDC reticle easy. Does it work ? Over 1,000,000 registered user's can't all be wrong. Is it for everyone, absolutely not. Check one out and see what you think. My longest shot using the BDC reticle and Spot On is a 427 yard one shot stop,not 30 sec. before I harvested a doe at 50 yards. For hunting it is tough to beat.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

My choice:

Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
My choice:

I really like the G2DMR reticle. It's like a Mil Dot and Horus reticle got it on and had a kid. Practical ranging and holdover ability without looking like you're shooting through a chainlink fence. Now if the could just make an illuminated version of it in the 3-12X44 FFP. I may end up going with their BTR Mil reticle with illuminated center for my SPR.
Old 10-24-2012, 9:50 PM

Sadly I have been waiting since Aug to get mine.

It feels like its never going to come
Old 10-24-2012, 9:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
My choice:

This. I love mine, it works out great in matches.
Old 10-25-2012, 5:42 AM
Banned

My First and LAST Nikon p223 came with the wrong turrets-----> FAIL<---- and got returned.
Old 10-25-2012, 8:44 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
... I suppose for a company that also sells laser rangefinders though, the lack of a rangefinding reticle might not be a bad thing....

I think I'd hold off on ordering one, until far more YouTube reviews are available.
The above advice from the seasoned shooters is priceless and could save you a lot of re-buying over the years.

I see the best use model for the M308 BDC or Turret scope being a mid-range tactical scope for someone who already owns a decent laser rangefinder, and really needs to stay under $500, including mounts. If that same underfunded shooter doesn't have a range finder, a strong argument could be made to save up an extra $200 and get a Vortex 4-16 PST SFP and learn MIL (SFP is not as functional for ranging at distance as a FFP, but is still more than capable of good ranging out to 900!).

Past those price points, those Bushnell & Horus reticles are great... IF you have the funds for those optic packages... seems like that Bushnell LRS 3-12x with the G2DMR reticle is the price leader on that front.

Last edited by SoCalXD; 10-25-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

each reticle has a purpose. I'm lucky enough to sell them all and get to test them out out. If youre a shooter and a hunter, you have plenty of different scopes with different reticles for different styles.

Duplex/nikoplex/multi-x/ etc.. Great reticle for a basic hunter. usually shooting closer ranges, under 400 yards, but perfect for drawing your eye into the center. If you're diligent you will know where your holdovers are for that reticle with practice. that style still works for well for its purpose.

BDC. Ive used this reticle quite a bit. Nikon put a nice package together and kept them at great prices. If you know your distance or have a rangefinder, this is a good choice for that budget. Many shooters shoot at known ranges or can range them electronically. I've used the BDC on a few hunts and it worked well for me. Literally wrote and printed my dope on paper, taped it to my stock, and had it for easy access. I hate moving my turrets on a HUNTING setup, so they BDC is nice for me for that SPECIFIC purpose.

Ranging reticles Mil Dot, TMR, MLR, EBR, G2DMR, Horus, etc. These are great for target shooters who are extending their shooting distances or are shooting at the unknown ranges. I've been out before, no rangefinder, and just picking targets out after Ive set them up. These reticles are needed for that. As long as you know how to use them correctly. its great to have one and practice fundamentals as well. Its a skill that becomes lost with current technology.

Bottom line is that there are many different styles of reticles out, many scopes or various price ranges, many options for you. There is not one reticle that I would use for everything. I have a 1895M marlin and sure as hell not putting a G2DMR on it. I have a German #4 thats perfect for it and its purpose for me.

I have a tarhunt RSG slug gun that has a Duplex style crosshair in it's glass. I'm shooting within 200 yards, that is what I like on that setup and it works extremely well for me. Lots of racks to prove it. Also have a M&P 15/22 with a nikoplex on there. I'm not gong crazy with it, but thats all I need and its fun.

I have a MOA PST that I love. On an AR platform, and its a nail driver. Targets get shreded. Unknown distance doesnt bother me at all. Also have a M223 BDC on another one. Coyotes pay the price for it. Works perfectly for that setup, for me.

Sorry for the long winded response as well. Just want to chime in and say there are purposes for everything if its what you like and need.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!

Last edited by OpticsPlanet; 10-25-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Old 10-28-2012, 7:14 PM

Anyone get one yet?
Old 11-02-2012, 6:58 AM

Nobody on this forum have one in their hands yet, surprising. Does anyone know what stores may have one of these in stock so I can take a look down the glass like many others suggested? Thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 2:04 PM

I just got mine, but it's missing the supplied mount. What a bummer! I was hoping to go out and use it this weekend.
Old 11-03-2012, 2:20 PM

bushnell hdmr g2 and you wont look back
Old 03-09-2013, 4:39 AM

I was hell bent on putting glass on my M1A and was able to find one after weeks of searching, and watching Nikon delivery deadlines pass by. I missed the Nikon promo on this scope but got a pretty good deal so I sat it on a Sadlak Airborne mount.

This was my first real scope; now I see the "chainlink" comment and agree Nikon should stick with the standard MOA system and truer rangefinding would be nice. The 20 MOA mount on top of the Sadlak makes for a challenging cheek weld solution -- that's a whole 'nother animal.

This scope will only be used on .308, the build and optics are pretty good so for the $450 price tag I'm happy, I didn't get to play with the parallax setting yet.

Nikon cust service is as convoluted as any, just try to find a manual for the BDC 800, three extended calls and a few emails... nothing yet.

FYI: The 40mm objective with the Sadlak let me use the irons if I want/need to.

Last edited by sdkevin; 03-09-2013 at 4:43 AM..
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Kevin, Send me a PM with your name and address, I'll make sure you get a manual. Hopefully it'll be up on the web site soon.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not quite a necro-bump...

Has anyone got the M-308 and care to comment on it?

I'm bouncing between an M-308 and Leupold MK4 4.5-14x40. It's going on an LR-308 SASS that'll be used solely for target shooting off the bench, between 300-600 meters.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
CGN Contributor

Those two scopes you mention are pretty distant in price points. A BDC rectical is a bad choice for known distance target shooting at a range, period. Scratch the M308 off your list.

You should either dial for the known range, or hold over with mil or moa stadia.

BTW, I think your usage model needs a bit of review. an LR308 in an SASS configuration has a lot of capabilities, but it sounds like you are not planning on optimizing them based upon your scope selection. If you truly have no intention of using that as a personal defensive rifle, in which range estimation via reticle could be a lifesaver, fine. If you truly have no intention of shooting past 600 meters, even though the rifle can go to 900m, fine. So, you spent an extra $1000 on a 308 range rifle, to get a semi auto, when you could have just bought a bolt gun with better accuracy, fine. If you are fine with all those assumptions, then don't bother to spend money on first focal plane or a Mil/Mil solution.

If it was me, and I had $750-$900 to spend on a Mark 4, I wouldn't buy one. I'd buy a Bushnell 3-12 FFP G2, or a Vortex PST FFP Mil, depending upon how much I felt I needed the illumination, the option to go 24x and a "kinda" zero stop of the Vortex. You'll note that the veteran Calguns shooters (vs. collectors) above have also suggested these solutions... with good reason: experience!

But for your stated use model of 300-600 meters, known distance range use, I'd suggest saving a whole bunch of money and going with a Bushnell 5-15x40mm, a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40mm, or maybe even a fixed power Bushnell 10x Mil/Mil (depending upon what you define as a "target" (Type E targets vs. precision bulls-eye). My rule of thumb on magnification is a min. of 1x per 100m/y for Type E, 3x per 100m/y for precision; YMMV.
Old 04-12-2013, 2:42 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalXD View Post
Those two scopes you mention are pretty distant in price points. A BDC rectical is a bad choice for known distance target shooting at a range, period. Scratch the M308 off your list.

You should either dial for the known range, or hold over with mil or moa stadia.

BTW, I think your usage model needs a bit of review. an LR308 in an SASS configuration has a lot of capabilities, but it sounds like you are not planning on optimizing them based upon your scope selection. If you truly have no intention of using that as a personal defensive rifle, in which range estimation via reticle could be a lifesaver, fine. If you truly have no intention of shooting past 600 meters, even though the rifle can go to 900m, fine. So, you spent an extra $1000 on a 308 range rifle, to get a semi auto, when you could have just bought a bolt gun with better accuracy, fine. If you are fine with all those assumptions, then don't bother to spend money on first focal plane or a Mil/Mil solution.

If it was me, and I had $750-$900 to spend on a Mark 4, I wouldn't buy one. I'd buy a Bushnell 3-12 FFP G2, or a Vortex PST FFP Mil, depending upon how much I felt I needed the illumination, the option to go 24x and a "kinda" zero stop of the Vortex. You'll note that the veteran Calguns shooters (vs. collectors) above have also suggested these solutions... with good reason: experience!

But for your stated use model of 300-600 meters, known distance range use, I'd suggest saving a whole bunch of money and going with a Bushnell 5-15x40mm, a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40mm, or maybe even a fixed power Bushnell 10x Mil/Mil (depending upon what you define as a "target" (Type E targets vs. precision bulls-eye). My rule of thumb on magnification is a min. of 1x per 100m/y for Type E, 3x per 100m/y for precision; YMMV.
Thanks for the input! So you don't have an M-308?

If I go M-308, it would be the Nikoplex reticle, I'm sorry I should've made that more clear. I wanted to hear from an actual owner if the M-308 was as good in reality as it looks on paper. It seems like a good value, especially as it comes with a 1-piece mount/rings. But it's a bad value if the optics aren't up-to-snuff.

I'm not following you though when you say my 'usage model' needs review? I wanted an AR-pattern .308. When I looked at the various ways I could put one together, I decided I liked the DPMS SASS. So starting last November, I ordered (backordered is more like it! ) all the parts I would need. The SASS barrel was the last piece of the puzzle and it finally arrived this week. So now it's time to put it all together, and I'll need some glass for it. The gun club I belong to has a rifle range that goes out to 600 meters. So that's what I have to work with.

Yes, I have ZERO intention of using it as a personal defensive rifle. It'll be in the safe, then in the truck, then on the bench at the range to punch holes in paper, then back in the truck, then back in the safe. Will I ever go past 600 meters? Maybe, if my gun club decides to make a longer-range rifle bay, and if they do, then I'll buy upgraded glass. I've got all sorts of guns that can be used for personal defense, this rifle is going to be used purely for recreational target shooting.

I already have a longer-range bolt action, a Rem 700PSS in .300WM, with the aluminum-bedded stock, big-a** glass, free float, etc, etc, plus a few milsurp bolt actions that hold their own in the 300-600 range (K-11, K-31, Swedish Mauser, Finn 28/76) and another Rem 700 in .308. Like I said, I wanted an AR-pattern .308, NOT another bolt action. I've got plenty of those!

My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I would like a scope with as much GOOD magnification as possible. I'm concerned that if I go too low on the quality scale, then I'm going to be frustrated as heck. It's sort of like in photography. A 300mm f/2.8 lens costs a bunch and is suited for the most demanding professionals. A 300mm f/4.0 costs a whole lot less, yet delivers the same results under ideal conditions. But a 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 starts to lose some image quality, even under ideal conditions.

So while I would love a USO LR-17 (just from the technical virtuosity aspect), a lot of the $$$ is going to Type-III anodizing, extreme weather sealing, tungsten detents on the turrets, etc. What I want is nearly equivalent image quality...under ideal conditions. I'm not going to be trying to hit a moving target, at dusk, in a 20mph cross-wind, at 20 degrees f, from a moving boat, from 850 meters.

I am going for bulls-eye targets, so your "3x for 100 meters" rule makes some sense. I may need to look for more magnification on top. That will push me in the direction of a MK4 6.5x20 or equivalent. The great thing about this hobby, you can try something out and if you don't like it, sell it and get something else!

Again, thanks for the input!
Old 07-03-2013, 9:36 PM

How does this compare to their Monarch series bdc? I have a couple of them and love them. I also have a range finder. I am building a lr308 and was going to put a tr22-2g on it, but my cousin brought over a m308 for me to try. This is just a pig/ranch gun for me.

My travel blog
The Wong Winding Road-Adventures of The Chinese Cowboy https://thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com/
Old 07-04-2013, 5:54 AM

I have a M-308 on my DPMS LR-308 and one on my Remington 700 AAC in .308. Great glass, easy to use and backed by Nikon's outstanding warranty.
I like the BDC reticle because I use both rifles for hunting and shot's of 500+ yards are possible. I also dialed in my scope, rifle and ammo using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to maximize your accuracy. I have also used the Nikonplex reticle scope that has the Rapid Action Turret dialed in for the .308, 168 gr bullet at 2680 fps.

Drop me a note with any questions about this scope. It has quickly become one of my favorite scopes from Nikon.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...nm-3084-16.jpg
Old 07-04-2013, 5:56 AM

Here's a pic of the Nikon M-308 BDC 800 on my bolt action Remington. Pretty darn good shooting rig. My buddy managed that 5 shot group 3 weeks ago. Not to shabby!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/.../308andrew.jpg