Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-14-2011, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
Granted permits as in they have them in hand?
Good point... Thatrogue has shared on the forum that he was approved only to have been later denied over a traffic citation that I am pretty sure he said he disclosed.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Yes, in hand. But like i mentioned in the first post this was about 2 months ago, and am not sure if things have changed again with this new look they have.

Last edited by beerbeer95648; 09-15-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Old 09-16-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post
Good point... Thatrogue has shared on the forum that he was approved only to have been later denied over a traffic citation that I am pretty sure he said he disclosed.
The funniest thing about my case was to have sat down talked to the ret. Captain they had in charge of the program at the time, speaking in depth about everyone of my indiscretions (all Traffic related... 2 speeding 7-20% over the posted/ cell phone/ towing over 55). To be told directly "when you come to renew I will not approve it again if this continues"... then to happily walk to over Jessica having the retired captain instruct her to have me sign my Actual Permit and do my live scan, pay 210 and then be denied 70 days later for my traffic tickets that we all talked about before I payed the F*****G $210.

I know it wasn't purposeful, I've been told that I was just one of the few that had this happen during the changing of the old guard to the current system. I still feel really crushed to be swindled out of my $$$ by my own County Sheriff's office.

So does anyone think it has been long enough to for me to reply? I haven't as much as even asked for my money back, after being told that I needed to put time between me and my traffic tickets.

Old 09-21-2011, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Well, I wanted to let everyone know that I RECEIVED MY PERMIT YESTERDAY!!!

WOO HOO!!!!

And the cherry on top is that I also received an email yesterday from Tucker Gun Leather that they will be shipping out my HF-1 holster today!!!

Yesterday was a great day!

Congrats

Last edited by ParanoidCivilian; 09-26-2011 at 7:21 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 8:17 PM

Default Great info

Ok...I live in Placer County as have been considering applying for a ccw for quite sometime due to my business taking to parts of Sacramento that are clearly unsafe even for police officers.

I haven't had a traffic violation in 15 years nor have I had any "run ins" with the SO or PD of any city.

I have had a bk and a foreclosure though in the last year. Would that go against me?

Thanks to you all for your contributions to this section of this great site.

Old 10-23-2011, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
Ok...I live in Placer County as have been considering applying for a ccw for quite sometime due to my business taking to parts of Sacramento that are clearly unsafe even for police officers.

I haven't had a traffic violation in 15 years nor have I had any "run ins" with the SO or PD of any city.

I have had a bk and a foreclosure though in the last year. Would that go against me?

I don't believe there are financial questions on the application. Whether they pull that info in their own research... IDK.
Old 12-02-2011, 6:25 PM

I recently renewed and sadly did not see Ms. Jessica. Does she still work in this department?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post

Your bankruptcy and foreclosure will not disqualify you from the CCW process. It's such a common occurence in society right now that it's seen as kind of a normal thing. I'd be surprised if you have to elaborate on that at all during your application process.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 12-04-2011, 8:24 PM

I just pcs'd to Beale AFB and am thinking about moving to Roseville. From what I've been reading it sounds like the traffic citations are the biggest hurdles to getting a LTC. I have only had 1 speeding ticket in my life, and that was a little over 4 years ago. That's it for law violations nothing else. For good cause I was thinkig about saying active duty military with high security clearance... Or something like that (which is true). What do you think my chances are? Do I still have to get letters of recommendation? If so how many?
Old 12-05-2011, 9:27 PM

You'll be fine. Placer is pretty reasonable.
Old 12-05-2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:
You'll be fine. Placer is pretty reasonable.
Do i still have to get letters of character reference? If so how many? And i put some night sights on my glock 27, will i still be able to carry that?
Old 12-14-2011, 3:20 PM
Banned

Default Applying Soon more info on traffic violations

So, here is my traffic situation and hoping to hear some more info on what is expected. Recently i have had a cell phone ticket, about 2 years ago a speeding ticket, and a red light violation 3 years before that. I'm not terribly worried about that, But about 9 years ago when i lived in the Boston area i had several tickets and even lost my license for 3 months. Since then, i have just had the 3 violations listed above. Do you think they will consider what happened 9 years ago? I was much younger and much less mature then. Now i am a home owner, married, with a good job and kids coming soon. I drive like an old man these days for the most part. I have never been arrested for anything, no felonies, no misdemeanors and am a US Navy vet.

Thanks,

Seth in Roseville
Old 12-15-2011, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfshrevident View Post
Do i still have to get letters of character reference? If so how many? And i put some night sights on my glock 27, will i still be able to carry that?
No letters of character reference required.

Not sure, exactly on the night sights. I would suggest that you have them on before you go in and apply. They will inspect the weapon. Make sure it's clean too, for good measure I know they dont want lasers and trigger jobs added, but night nights might be different. Best play it safe and either ask them directly, or install them before you apply. Unless they were some weird aftermarket type, they probably wouldnt know the difference. Many a pistol comes with night sights as a standard now...
Old 12-15-2011, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSTIFJ View Post
So, here is my traffic situation and hoping to hear some more info on what is expected. Recently i have had a cell phone ticket, about 2 years ago a speeding ticket, and a red light violation 3 years before that. I'm not terribly worried about that, But about 9 years ago when i lived in the Boston area i had several tickets and even lost my license for 3 months. Since then, i have just had the 3 violations listed above. Do you think they will consider what happened 9 years ago? I was much younger and much less mature then. Now i am a home owner, married, with a good job and kids coming soon. I drive like an old man these days for the most part. I have never been arrested for anything, no felonies, no misdemeanors and am a US Navy vet.

Thanks,

Seth in Roseville
The tickets you have in the last 5 years wont matter, but they might have an issue with your license being revoked 9 years ago, mixed with the current tickets. My guess is that you'd be much better off if you havent had any tickets since your license revocation long ago. The fact that you have a few now might tell them that either A) You're getting away with it and just not getting caught, or B) You havent fully changed to following the law while driving. For Placer, it's not the tickets but rather what the tickets usually represent: An inability/carelessness to follow the law. Their thinking is that if you can't/won't follow the law while driving, you might likely not follow the laws of carrying. The Sheriff told me that they have to balance your right to self defense with the right of public safety. I am not saying i agree with this, only that this is their view. And in CA where it's not shall issue, it is legitimate for them to issue based on this perceived liability.

Personally, if I were you, I would still apply and try to show them how you have changed, what you learned from your past mistakes and what you're doing differently now. The worst they can say is no, or better yet, "wait". They will not ring you up for the $210 if they dont like what they hear at the meeting. I was 100% honest, down to the nitty gritty with the sheriff and on my app, saying even that I had once used a "common illegal substance" (one time 10 years ago). But I told him of how I learned my lesson and have had absolutely no desire to ever do it again. It may have helped that I am also now a family man, regular church attender, devout Christian, and have a successful career.....all things that point towards a vast change in maturity and being a steady, law-abiding and productive citizen. I had one ticket in the past 3 years, and one more failed to stop ticket in the past 6. All together in the past 13 years of my driving, I've had a total 3 or 4 moving violations. Not great, not bad.

Just be honest. They WILL find any dirt in your BG, if you have any.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfshrevident View Post
No references required.

Night sights are also fine. As mentioned - No trigger or otherwise mechanical functional modifications are allowed.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The tickets you have in the last 5 years wont matter, but they might have an issue with your license being revoked 9 years ago, mixed with the current tickets. My guess is that you'd be much better off if you havent had any tickets since your license revocation long ago. The fact that you have a few now might tell them that either A) You're getting away with it and just not getting caught, or B) You havent fully changed to following the law while driving. For Placer, it's not the tickets but rather what the tickets usually represent: An inability/carelessness to follow the law. Their thinking is that if you can't/won't follow the law while driving, you might likely not follow the laws of carrying. The Sheriff told me that they have to balance your right to self defense with the right of public safety. I am not saying i agree with this, only that this is their view. And in CA where it's not shall issue, it is legitimate for them to issue based on this perceived liability.

Personally, if I were you, I would still apply and try to show them how you have changed, what you learned from your past mistakes and what you're doing differently now. The worst they can say is no, or better yet, "wait". They will not ring you up for the $210 if they dont like what they hear at the meeting. I was 100% honest, down to the nitty gritty with the sheriff and on my app, saying even that I had once used a "common illegal substance" (one time 10 years ago). But I told him of how I learned my lesson and have had absolutely no desire to ever do it again. It may have helped that I am also now a family man, regular church attender, devout Christian, and have a successful career.....all things that point towards a vast change in maturity and being a steady, law-abiding and productive citizen. I had one ticket in the past 3 years, and one more failed to stop ticket in the past 6. All together in the past 13 years of my driving, I've had a total 3 or 4 moving violations. Not great, not bad.

Just be honest. They WILL find any dirt in your BG, if you have any.
Most of this is fairly accurate. I always chuckle though at all the "devout Christians" saying so in the interview. Your religious preferences play no roll in the application acceptance or denial. Just like you proclaiming to be a devout heterosexual, or a devout republican has nothing to do with acceptance or denial.

As long as you're not a prohibited person according to the various PCs listed on the back of the application, everything else is just a sniff test. You pass the sniff test, you get your LTC.

This is what I recommend:

Dress conservatively, speak eloquently (no slang, ebonics, or other common verbal gaffes like "dude, bro, man" etc.) be honest and forthright, make good eye contact, sit up straight, answer the investigators questions as asked, don't beat around the bush, don't try to sugar coat any past histories. Be a man (or woman) and own your mistakes; it's a sign of maturity, and maturity is paramount to being issued in Placer county.
Old 12-15-2011, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I always chuckle though at all the "devout Christians" saying so in the interview. Your religious preferences play no roll in the application acceptance or denial. Just like you proclaiming to be a devout heterosexual, or a devout republican has nothing to do with acceptance or denial.
I think you might be surprised. It's in our human nature to trust other people we can relate to. In my case, we spoke a little bit about the churches we go to and shared a little bit about them. I initially brought it up not because I thought it might get me in his good graces, but because 1) It is a large part of my life and 2) It was part of the story of my one time drug use.

It may not play a direct role in acceptance, and I certainly dont advocate people who are not devout christians to say they are just to get a LTC. But if your interviewing officer relates to you on a personal level, they will more than likely be more apt to write a good recommendation for issuance, outside of the background check. If you go in there and he doesnt like you or doesnt get a good vibe, he is not going to have a good feeling about giving you a good recommendation. Again, it's human nature.

It is impossible to be human and to be a truly impartial judge. We ALL have biases and opinions....that's just the way it is.
Old 12-15-2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
I think you might be surprised. It's in our human nature to trust other people we can relate to. In my case, we spoke a little bit about the churches we go to and shared a little bit about them. I initially brought it up not because I thought it might get me in his good graces, but because 1) It is a large part of my life and 2) It was part of the story of my one time drug use.

It may not play a direct role in acceptance, and I certainly dont advocate people who are not devout christians to say they are just to get a LTC. But if your interviewing officer relates to you on a personal level, they will more than likely be more apt to write a good recommendation for issuance, outside of the background check. If you go in there and he doesnt like you or doesnt get a good vibe, he is not going to have a good feeling about giving you a good recommendation. Again, it's human nature.

It is impossible to be human and to be a truly impartial judge. We ALL have biases and opinions....that's just the way it is.
Unless (s)he's a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, or Atheist - then it might work against you. In a situation like this, my personal preference is to stick only to the facts of the interview. Small talk; be it political, religious, or social can be a double edged sword as you never know who you're talking too. In this case I'm sure you're fine ... but an effective investigator will often lead you into such conversations just to see what you say.

Last edited by Anti-Hero; 12-15-2011 at 8:57 PM..
Old 12-18-2011, 7:30 PM

Finally! License in hand. I was approved on October 15. Live scan in November 18. License in hand December 17. Easy enough process, casual interview, good communication from the County. I felt it was too drawn out but its all good. Just be prepared for the interview and be yourself and don't lie.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Unless (s)he's a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, or Atheist - then it might work against you. In a situation like this, my personal preference is to stick only to the facts of the interview. Small talk; be it political, religious, or social can be a double edged sword as you never know who you're talking too. In this case I'm sure you're fine ... but an effective investigator will often lead you into such conversations just to see what you say.
This may be true for other counties. But I know in the case of placer that the only person who is conducting the interviews is the semi-retired sheriff who is working directly for the head sheriff in doing these interviews.....it's not really a "luck of the draw" situation in Placer.

In any case, I was comfortable saying what I said, but you are probably right that it is best left unsaid, specifically in a situation where you dont know what the other person's views are; the interviewer may not agree with your politics/religion/etc and because of human nature, may affect the outcome.

Oh and I know i'm fine as far as the license is concerned.....I received it this past February
Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kparsons02 View Post
Finally! License in hand. I was approved on October 15. Live scan in November 18. License in hand December 17. Easy enough process, casual interview, good communication from the County. I felt it was too drawn out but its all good. Just be prepared for the interview and be yourself and don't lie.
Congrats!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
Two current points one for towing with only one chain, and another for doing 65 while towing. I have another speeding ticket recently that won't hit a point as I'm doing traffic school.

2 or three other violations over the last 12 years.
new law says even with traffic school, you get the point on your record but its confidential in that they will not let insurance companies know about it, but its still on your record.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM

whats the best way to get a full criminal history report? from decades ago i had a small issue in college, no idea what the date was nor specific offense. i did an online search, and nothing showed up (used ussearch.com )
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM

I can't answer your question, but for your LTC app, just acknowledge the approximate time and what you can recall of the circumstances. If you honestly can't remember much about it and can't get a report, I don't think the interviewer will count it against you as long as you are forthcoming with what you are able to provide.
Old 01-06-2012, 1:05 PM

great thanks. does juvenile things count at all? being detained after a house party broken up but nothing charged, etc?
Old 01-06-2012, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvinny View Post
great thanks. does juvenile things count at all? being detained after a house party broken up but nothing charged, etc?
I don't know off hand, but from what little I understand, I think the biggest consideration with Placer might be how much time has passed since the occurrence. 5 years might work... of course the longer the better, but this is just my best guess.
Old 01-06-2012, 2:57 PM

thanks....college was much longer ago than that.

In placer, how well does a letter of character help? I've been told it helps a lot to 'don't bother'. My neighbor of 7 years is a public investigator, knows me exceedingly well. thoughts on a Letter of Character specifically in Placer?
Old 01-06-2012, 4:31 PM

I was told straight to my face by an interviewer there a couple years ago that "everything helps" when I asked about character letters. How much it helps, I would have no idea.
Old 01-06-2012, 7:29 PM

Quote:
whats the best way to get a full criminal history report? from decades ago i had a small issue in college, no idea what the date was nor specific offense. i did an online search, and nothing showed up (used ussearch.com )

The best way is to file a records request with the agency you had the issue with. If it was that long ago - i.e. years before the computer age, it may not even exist any longer. Many records, especially juvenile records were never entered and destroyed.

Quote:
Depends on the offense and the disposition. It may and it may not, however your adult record will be scrutinized. If a pattern develops between the two, you will likely be denied.

Quote:
thanks....college was much longer ago than that.

In placer, how well does a letter of character help? I've been told it helps a lot to 'don't bother'. My neighbor of 7 years is a public investigator, knows me exceedingly well. thoughts on a Letter of Character specifically in Placer?
Character references can help, but are not necessary.
Old 01-08-2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
I did a live scan, even though I would have to do another one. I can't remember details from last year, much less 25+ years ago.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Ahhhh....Placer I wish CGF would write you a letter...

So 13 months after being over charged by $190 and denied due to minor vc violations after submitting a unnessary live scan, I finally gave Elaine @ PCSO a call which at the time of my denial seemed to be secratary for captain Hutchinson/mittensander and the under sherriff (I may be complety wrong thats just what the chain of events lead me to beileve).

She promptley called me back the same day and we spoke about my previous denial. That I may have been over charged, and since my denial they have changed PCSO ccw policy as not to overcharge people that have not been approved.

I was very happy to hear the new system and requested that my previos denial be reviewed again. She stated they may not review the denial, and that I should just start the process over.

I questioned this logic asking if I would be required to pay the fees I previously was over charged? She stated they could charge the fees in any matter they choose and that they only made the policy change as she felt times were tough and $20 denial was better than $210.

I politely vented frustration with the logic and asked if she was willing to speak with her supervisors to see if they could review my denial as to by pass all the red tape and not repay fees. She stated she will see what she can do and call me before the 2/15.

What are the guys "in the know" thoughts on this issue???

Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
So 13 months after being over charged by $190 and denied due to minor vc violations after submitting a unnessary live scan, I finally gave Elaine @ PCSO a call which at the time of my denial seemed to be secratary for captain Hutchinson/mittensander and the under sherriff (I may be complety wrong thats just what the chain of events lead me to beileve).

She promptley called me back the same day and we spoke about my previous denial. That I may have been over charged, and since my denial they have changed PCSO ccw policy as not to overcharge people that have not been approved.

I was very happy to hear the new system and requested that my previos denial be reviewed again. She stated they may not review the denial, and that I should just start the process over.

I questioned this logic asking if I would be required to pay the fees I previously was over charged? She stated they could charge the fees in any matter they choose and that they only made the policy change as she felt times were tough and $20 denial was better than $210.

I politely vented frustration with the logic and asked if she was willing to speak with her supervisors to see if they could review my denial as to by pass all the red tape and not repay fees. She stated she will see what she can do and call me before the 2/15.

What are the guys "in the know" thoughts on this issue???
Isn't there any amount of money they can refund? I thought perhaps they might be able to at least give you some money back. Keep us updated, thanks.
Old 02-04-2012, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

i wish CGF would write placer a letter too, they are right on the fence of shall issue, but there are other counties that I think are easier targets right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM

Default Wife wants to carry - what are her chances?

We both live and work in Placer County, and my wife has brought up her "want" to carry a few times lately. It is a work related thing. I told her that writing her letter referencing that you need it for work might result in a "to and from work only" license.... She said "Fine with me, that's when I am most worried".

I am thinking though, since she is an independent contractor (her own business, but works at someone elses shop)... how would anyone know if she is on a work related outing or just a regular outing?

Her deal: she's a massage therapist and is sometimes the only person in the shop she works out of, often times the last person to leave, the rest of the business park is closed on the days she works, the business park doesn't get any traffic other than the people going there specifically, the shop backs up to acres of open land (fields, woods, train tracks), there is a lot of transients that pass by and "camp out" in those areas, there have been multiple break-in to the buildings as well as the cars in the area. So she is always a little freaked out when she has to walk herself out to her car when it's dark out, nobody around, and no chance of anyone driving by in the off chance that she was attacked.

So typically she parks real close to the door, but when she leaves, she is usually carrying a laundry basket full of her sheets and towels, has to set that down and lock the door then pick it up and carry it over to her car, put it in the trunk, then hop in and go..... not too smooth if you ask me, kinda hard to keep an eye out on everything around you. Her schedule is also pretty routine, same days and typically the same ending times - good for me, knowing her schedule... not very good if anyone decides to scope out the situation and use that to their benefit.

I would, of course be very jealous if she was to get one... but I would feel more comfortable knowing she has it and can use it if needed, and fully support getting her something other than my XD9 to carry

In the mean time, I plan to get her a couple things to carry and have for defensive purposes... but what would her chances be in getting approved for LTC in Placer County with that type of cause? I have read some stuff on applying, then taking a course when you have been approved for an interview, then the interview process and wait for approval and when it's all said and done you spend about $400 - is that about right, or did I mix things up?
Old 02-10-2012, 5:42 PM

Why would you be jealous? Why don't you apply too? Why not apply and train together?
Old 02-10-2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Why would you be jealous? Why don't you apply too? Why not apply and train together?
Do we know if "hubby" has cause? I recently spoke with one of Placer's interviewers. He was a very amiable and fair person. He however was clear that Placer is NOT a shall issue county for "Self Defense" alone as a reason for cause. He was specific that they want people to have a reason that carves them out from the rest of the population as being a person with a higher risk in some way.
Old 02-11-2012, 7:00 AM

I wouldn't mind applying and training together, but I think it would be pointless for me... No cause other than normal self-defense reasons.
Old 02-13-2012, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Do we know if "hubby" has cause? I recently spoke with one of Placer's interviewers. He was a very amiable and fair person. He however was clear that Placer is NOT a shall issue county for "Self Defense" alone as a reason for cause. He was specific that they want people to have a reason that carves them out from the rest of the population as being a person with a higher risk in some way.
This is true, I just received my denied letter last week for not having "good cause". During my interview, I was told they are looking for an employment related reason, not a recreational related reason (regardless of past experiences). So if you are applying because you have a recreational activity that puts you in danger, they believe that you chose to place yourself in that situation, so just "don't do that". If it's a work related cause, then they see it as you have no choice (as if we can't choose our profession?).
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencekutter View Post
This is true, I just received my denied letter last week for not having "good cause". During my interview, I was told they are looking for an employment related reason, not a recreational related reason (regardless of past experiences). So if you are applying because you have a recreational activity that puts you in danger, they believe that you chose to place yourself in that situation, so just "don't do that". If it's a work related cause, then they see it as you have no choice (as if we can't choose our profession?).
How long since your interview did it take them to respond with that letter?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
How long since your interview did it take them to respond with that letter?
45 days