Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 09-30-2012, 7:45 PM

Default Newbie need scope buying advice

Hello all,

I been shoot pistol for a few years, and going in to the precision rifle shooting. The range in my area are about 200-300 yards, but as I get good, there are 1000 yard range within 2 hrs driving distant. I'm getting a Remington 700 Police for a really good price. Now It's the time to choose a optics, base, rings, and other equipment. A buddy of mine is police office and he can get some good deal on Leapold scope. I did some research and asked around and kind of settle on Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50mm (was look at 3.5-10x40mm but was told to get a 50mm objective for brighter image). I also heard Nightforce are much better scope but it is also more $$$, too (with the deal my buddy can get from Leapold). Is it that much more better?

On the Leupold Mark 4, they have the M1, M3, M5 with different reticle, I'm confuse what is the different and which one is more suitable for me as a beginner. Another friend told me to get the scope have a matching reticle and turret, I'm not sure what he mean by that, anyone may be can explain please?

Leupold base and ring good? another other suggestion? BTW, 1pc base or 2 pcs base?

Finally, what other equipment I may need?

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by ulpian; 10-01-2012 at 9:34 AM..
Old 10-01-2012, 8:47 PM

Mark 4 is a great scope, you're not "settling". This seems to be the scope everyone is lusting after. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/435...-reticle-matte

Why is it so good? First the Horus reticle. Next the first focal plane. and lastly the matching milradian adjustments. The next scope with all 3 features cost $1000 more.

If you are really serious about long range shooting I would recommend getting the Magpul precision shooting DVD before you buy anything else. Scope buying is not to be taken lightly.

The following is my 2 cent... for what it's worth.

Your equipment depends on how you plan to shoot. For example, less then 300 yards from the standing: the scopes you mentioned are fine. I would set it up with a 0 MOA base with 2 peice rings.

For up to 600 yards you might look at a 20x or 30x scope with a 20 MOA base. Most will shoot from the prone with a bipod.

At 1k, I don't think you can beat the Nightforce NSX 42x.

Stick to 30mm or more tubes unless weight is an issue.

As for reticles. I would get the TRM then mildot. you will learn how to use them as you get better. But again, crosshairs may work for you if you plan to do a lot of running then shoot standing from short range.

1 piece rings with 20 MOA I put on my AR's. For bolt guns, it's 20 MOA at the base then 2 piece rings so I can set the scope lower. Do not get a 20 MOA base and a 20 MOA 1 piece ring.

Do more research, check more forums and wait. A scope can be with you a lifetime. Be sure you are 100% happy and there is nothing wrong with saving more money to buy what you really want.

My two scope brands are Leupold are Nightforce. If a Mark 4 is your first scope, then you are a very lucky man.
Old 10-12-2012, 9:03 AM

Its not available now but you should take a good look at the Vortex Viper HS 5-15x 44mm. Its the scope I'll be using for my dust gathering R700 that I'll one day use for long range precision work. Its a Midway only scope that was developed by Vortex, its features are great for the price, Mil-Mil with Zero-Stops.