Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-07-2013, 2:45 AM

Default S&W Model 63 22LR 3"

I never paid any attention to .22 LR firearms. Last night for some strange reason I started web browsing to educate myself on the round. After maybe 3 or 4 hours, I ended up ordering this:

This is a Smith & Wesson website photo. I'll post a real photo of her when she gets out of jail.
Old 07-07-2013, 5:23 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

I have a 617 and I will tell you that you wont be unhappy with an S&W. Its a great gun.
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/Signature_copy_small.jpg
Visit http://www.cawheelburners.com
In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 07-07-2013, 5:59 PM

The 617 is my other choice but just happened to luckily stumble upon a link to a store in South Dakota selling a factory new 63. I jumped on it in a heartbeat.
Old 07-07-2013, 6:03 PM

I have a 1977 M-63 in 4 inch . all 63s are good and sought after. That same Rev in blue is a M-34 Kit gun. Nice looking piece .
Old 07-07-2013, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Among my S&W .22lr revolvers I have a 317 Airweight version of your revolver. I think you'll enjoy your model 63 very much. They shoot very nice and are great trainers. Their small J frame size makes it easy for kids and women to hold and shoot.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 07-07-2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrichards64 View Post
I have a 1977 M-63 in 4 inch . all 63s are good and sought after. That same Rev in blue is a M-34 Kit gun. Nice looking piece .
Thanks. I've read about the difficulty of extracting cases in model 63 after firing about 100 rounds. Have you experienced this?
Old 07-07-2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Among my S&W .22lr revolvers I have a 317 Airweight version of your revolver. I think you'll enjoy your model 63 very much. They shoot very nice and are great trainers. Their small J frame size makes it easy for kids and women to hold and shoot.
That's good to know. I hope my wife will shoot this one. She's intimidated by the size of my 625 JM and won't even touch it.
Old 07-20-2013, 9:29 AM

She gets out of jail on Tuesday. All I have right now is the box that I took home seven days ago.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsbearer View Post
Thanks. I've read about the difficulty of extracting cases in model 63 after firing about 100 rounds. Have you experienced this?
My starts to get a little sticky after about 200.

I've found that Federal seems to work better than CCI, going both in and out. I think their cases are slightly smaller.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneiderguy View Post
My starts to get a little sticky after about 200.

I've found that Federal seems to work better than CCI, going both in and out. I think their cases are slightly smaller.
Does cleaning the chambers help when it starts getting sticky?
Old 07-21-2013, 6:25 AM

It's a cool gun, I used to have one but sold it to get the Ruger SP101 equivalent. I'm just partial to Rugers. When you get your 63, check the barrel to frame alignment. Mine was over-torqued so the front sight was canted to the left. I sent it back to S&W and they fixed it.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Model 63 4" which I traded for here on Calguns.

I like the small size of it - it just seems to fit the size of the cartridge in a way that the K-frame 617's don't (too big IMO). It's kind of how I feel about the Ruger Bearcats vĂ*s a vĂ*s the Ruger Single Sixes.

Anyway - accuracy is okay. I haven't tried to bench it to test intrinsic accuracy, but it's okay. Trigger is HEAVY, and if you're thinking of this as a trainer for a youngster, frankly I think there are better choices. Even in single-action mode, manually cocking the hammer is something that might be tough for a child. Extracting spent cases is indeed sometimes difficult, even after a very thorough cleaning to make sure the chambers are very clean.

So - while I am a bit of a Smith fanboy and am pleased by the size, weight, and heft of this little piece, as a shooter and plinker it's kinda - meh.
Old 07-29-2013, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch762 View Post
It's a cool gun, I used to have one but sold it to get the Ruger SP101 equivalent. I'm just partial to Rugers. When you get your 63, check the barrel to frame alignment. Mine was over-torqued so the front sight was canted to the left. I sent it back to S&W and they fixed it.
Thanks. Checked the barrel to frame alignment with just my old eyes and looked OK. Enjoyed shooting a few rounds through it last weekend with my daughter. Also took the 625 JM with us and she said she liked it better than the .22.

Last edited by armsbearer; 07-29-2013 at 9:41 AM..
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
I have a Model 63 4" which I traded for here on Calguns.

I like the small size of it - it just seems to fit the size of the cartridge in a way that the K-frame 617's don't (too big IMO). It's kind of how I feel about the Ruger Bearcats vĂ*s a vĂ*s the Ruger Single Sixes.

Anyway - accuracy is okay. I haven't tried to bench it to test intrinsic accuracy, but it's okay. Trigger is HEAVY, and if you're thinking of this as a trainer for a youngster, frankly I think there are better choices. Even in single-action mode, manually cocking the hammer is something that might be tough for a child. Extracting spent cases is indeed sometimes difficult, even after a very thorough cleaning to make sure the chambers are very clean.

So - while I am a bit of a Smith fanboy and am pleased by the size, weight, and heft of this little piece, as a shooter and plinker it's kinda - meh.
I did not find the trigger on this to be heavy but then I have not had the privilege of shooting any revolver with trigger job done on it so I have nothing to compare with. It seems to get lighter as I shot rounds after rounds through it. Not sure though if the trigger actually got lighter or maybe I just got used to it.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

22s are awesome for plinking, shoot all day and it barely costs anything

Old 07-29-2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNCaliber View Post
22s are awesome for plinking, shoot all day and it barely costs anything
Exactly my reason for getting this model 63.