Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 AM
CGSSA Associate

Default What does your Faraday Cage look like?

If you are curious on how to make one. I found a decent link here, have not yet searched youtube.com

I am very interested in making on myself, but love to do my research first. Then I plan on converting my old chest I had as a kid to a faraday box.
Old 07-10-2013, 1:23 PM

Simple. A metal garbage can from home depot.
Old 07-10-2013, 2:20 PM

Sounds like a smart idea to plan into my home PV battery/hardware box.

Thanks!
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-10-2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egslaw View Post
Simple. A metal garbage can from home depot.
Then my 20ft sea container should work just fine
Old 07-10-2013, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 07-10-2013, 7:59 PM

You basic faraday cage is a sealed metal container that is grounded. The items stored inside the container need to be isolated from the exterior metal.

The idea is that the metal container absorbs the electrical charge and directs it to ground protecting the isolated items inside. The ground is important because depending on the distance from the EMP the metal exterior could heat up quite hot and damage the interior contents, think electric oven. The ground allows the electrical energy to flow off of the container and lessen the heat. The interior items need to be isolated from the exterior metal and the ground so that the electrical energy that the outside absorbs cannot travel into them which is what your trying to prevent. You could connect your faraday cage to your house ground but I would choose to have a seperate ground as the electrical grid will absorb a lot more energy than your faraday cage and send some of it to your box as it is sent into your home. While a simple driven ground rod will work a spider ground is much more effective as it allows a much larger area to dissipate the electrical energy.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Last edited by badreligion; 07-10-2013 at 8:05 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Old 07-10-2013, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badreligion View Post
While a simple driven ground rod will work a spider ground is much more effective as it allows a much larger area to dissipate the electrical energy.
Badreligion has it down. Another method to the spider ground that he refers to is called a "crow's foot". Used in high voltage transmission lines. Get the ground to under 10-20 ohms and you should be good to go. Or, measure the resistance on the ground wire that's on the distribution pole in your yard and just keep the ground resistance lower than that.
Old 07-10-2013, 8:27 PM

Ours is all copper mesh. About 10' x 10'
Old 07-11-2013, 5:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Camp Parks Ca, Ft McCoy Ft Bragg, Ft Knox, Harvey Point

Any ammo can or metal garbage can works just fine, all you need to do is line the interior with something so there is no metal showing. I use 40MM ammo cans with heavy duty cardboard affixed to the interior. Worked great when we tried them out! Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 07-11-2013, 7:19 AM

Good points Bad! My PV bank install can be tied to a new ground rod, PV panel steel post mount, and the house plumbing easily.

House has new elec service to code.

"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-11-2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Do not tie into existing grounds such as plumbing and non shielded electrical grounds. If you do you will make a nice antenna for your cage.
Excellent points, thanks. I do realize that without water, copper plumbing is much less effective.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
I think good black iron or copper plumbing would be better than the ground wire in your house power wiring (house wiring can act like an antenna and bring an amplified EMP to the cage even though it is grounded at the supply panel) but nothing is going to beat a large gauge (think #6 stranded or larger) wire on a short run to a large copper or copper plated ground bar.
taken as a quote from another site.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM

Black iron is gas, while grounded, joints are not technically metal on metal - add fuel, bad idea.

NEC calls for solid 6' copper rod, not plated. Solid wire for ground line.

Old 07-11-2013, 6:25 PM

I wouldn't directly bury your PV steel post into the ground but incase it in concrete with rebar. This is a structural and longevity thing as soil like to eat steel. Make sure the rebar and steel post have a solid connection together then to a dedicated ground rod. Make sure your panels also have there own ground wires and if available use shielded cable for your electrical connections. The shielding needs to be taken to ground also. Your batteries and controller should be an a faraday cage. This might protect your exposed PV system from am EMP.

The NEC calls for a minimum of a 6' ground rod with minimum resistance. I doubt your ground was given a resistance test, just a visual. The ground wire is connected to your panel and then to each electrical circuit in your house. This is the antenna effect in an EMP. Same as those overhead power lines.

You can tie you PV ground and faraday ground into your house ground but I would only do it with each of them having their own ground rod at a minimum and direct bury bare copper wire from ground rod to ground rod. I would bury it at least 12" deep and oversize the wire to something like a #4 solid. If you do this I would also salt the ground around the ground rod and the buried wire. Dig a 12" round, 12" deep pit around the ground rod and fill it with rock salt, and heavily water. Do this for a few days. Cover the wire in the trench with rock salt also, only enough to cover the wire, then heavily water and back fill the trench. The salt helps to make a better earth ground as it leaches deeper into the soil, salinium is conductive.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 07-11-2013, 8:22 PM

40 or 28 foot cargo container.. Sealed 55gallon metal drums or trash cans on wood pallets or plastic.. Assorted sealed ammo cans inside drums or cans with some sort of oxygen absorbing material your choice.. Any questions..

Then again in the transportation industry, these items are fairly easy to squire !
Old 07-12-2013, 6:53 AM

Quote:
I would also salt the ground around the ground rod and the buried wire.
Mama Nature has done this eons before me, and will after. For inland folks, good suggestion.
I'm fortunate, battery bank location affords me easy grounding.

Old 07-12-2013, 9:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My Faraday cage is an old microwave oven that no cooks. I took it into the garage, plugged it in to ground it and keep radios in it.

I ran across this article on how to convert a metal file file cabinet to a Faraday cage and since I have a couple of them sitting around I am going to try to make one of those.

If it works it will look like this: