Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-14-2013, 9:54 AM

Default training in OC

Hi,

I've been looking for a basic to tactical classes for my wife and I in Orange County (pistol to start, probably shotgun & rifle later). Most seem to be in LA (e.g. Angeles), which means typically a 2 hour or more drive each way, and the ones at one or two indoor ranges seem disproportionately expensive (I was quoted $80/hr). I know I'm being a pit lazy/picky/snobby, but can anyone recommend a day course in or near Orange County?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 9:57 AM

http://www.ftatv.com/
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

These guys rock!!

http://www.stcrispian.com
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM

I have looked into St. Crispian and it looks quite solid. However, their current courses in pistol are in Angeles.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Have you looked into Falcon Operations Group? I think they shoot at Prado which is in Chino and if you are around the Irvine area then it should be about a 40 min drive or less.

Just a FYI as far as pricing goes. For instructors with MIL/LEO experience (+10 yrs) 18~25 $/hr is the market rate. For instructors with SF experience you are looking at 22~35 $/hr.
Old 05-14-2013, 1:02 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Default Training

I'm interested in the Falcon classes as well.
Old 05-15-2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal20 View Post
These guys rock!!

http://www.stcrispian.com
Agreed!
Stan is a great instructor and very affordable
That being said, most of the upcoming courses are at Angeles.. cmon Stan hook up the OC folks soon!
Old 05-15-2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychophd View Post
Hi,

I've been looking for a basic to tactical classes for my wife and I in Orange County (pistol to start, probably shotgun & rifle later). Most seem to be in LA (e.g. Angeles), which means typically a 2 hour or more drive each way, and the ones at one or two indoor ranges seem disproportionately expensive (I was quoted $80/hr). I know I'm being a pit lazy/picky/snobby, but can anyone recommend a day course in or near Orange County?

Thanks.
Private 1/1 training is not good value for money. $80/hr is outrageous. I guess people pay it, but that's ridiculous.

The Falcon Ops Basic Pistol class would suit your needs. Thorough instruction, and it's relatively close. I live in OC and can get to Prado in about 30 minutes, which beats the hell out of 2+ hours to ASR or an hour to Burro. They don't have their 1.0 class on the calendar right now so it's probably a couple months away.
http://www.falconops.net/index.php?route=schedule

If Academy of St. Crispian would come down to Prado or even Burro I would suggest you try one of their classes.

Field Time Target and Training in Stanton offers an NRA certified basic pistol class but at $130 for 5 hours I think the price is a steep. But: it's an easy drive and the range is nice.

For comparison's sake Falcon Ops Basic Pistol 1.0 is $150 for 8 hours. I'd rather have the extra range and practice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 View Post
I'm interested in the Falcon classes as well.
Sign up! The Falcon classes I've attended are safe, well instructed, fun, and they offer excellent prices on ammo. I'll be at their Carbine 1.0 class (again) this Saturday and plan on taking several more courses in June and July.

Last edited by Case; 05-15-2013 at 8:14 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 5:09 AM

Second for Firearms Training Associates / Surefire Institute!
Old 05-16-2013, 6:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case View Post
Private 1/1 training is not good value for money. $80/hr is outrageous. I guess people pay it, but that's ridiculous.

The Falcon Ops Basic Pistol class would suit your needs. Thorough instruction, and it's relatively close. I live in OC and can get to Prado in about 30 minutes, which beats the hell out of 2+ hours to ASR or an hour to Burro. They don't have their 1.0 class on the calendar right now so it's probably a couple months away.
http://www.falconops.net/index.php?route=schedule

If Academy of St. Crispian would come down to Prado or even Burro I would suggest you try one of their classes.

Field Time Target and Training in Stanton offers an NRA certified basic pistol class but at $130 for 5 hours I think the price is a steep. But: it's an easy drive and the range is nice.

For comparison's sake Falcon Ops Basic Pistol 1.0 is $150 for 8 hours. I'd rather have the extra range and practice time.

Sign up! The Falcon classes I've attended are safe, well instructed, fun, and they offer excellent prices on ammo. I'll be at their Carbine 1.0 class (again) this Saturday and plan on taking several more courses in June and July.
I took the Falcon Pistol 1.0 course just a couple weeks ago (May 4). I recommend it. $150 for the single day course.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 05-16-2013, 7:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Falcon has great instructors. You'll learn a lot and your shooting will definitely improve. Plus very convenient location for us OC guys.
Old 05-16-2013, 9:36 PM

I signed up on Sat as well, glad the weather is being reasonable, see you there Case!

Sign up! The Falcon classes I've attended are safe, well instructed, fun, and they offer excellent prices on ammo. I'll be at their Carbine 1.0 class (again) this Saturday and plan on taking several more courses in June and July.[/QUOTE]