Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-28-2013, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Default Anyone care to recomend a tablet for kids?

Looking to get a tablet that supports flash for my 2.5 yr old.. Going to use it as an educational tool .. might try out this ABCmouse.com place I've been seeing commercials for.. But he enjoys playing with our phones and want to get him something..

Figured some of you guys might have some knowledge to share on the subject.

thanks
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 03-28-2013, 8:28 PM

my kids (3 and 5) love the Ipad with games and educational apps but no flash
Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 PM

My 4 year old has a leappad, she likes it and it's turned out to be pretty rugged. We've also got an ABC mouse account which she can't access from the leappad, but she has no problem using a smaller laptop mouse.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Looking to get a tablet that supports flash for my 2.5 yr old.. Going to use it as an educational tool .. might try out this ABCmouse.com place I've been seeing commercials for.. But he enjoys playing with our phones and want to get him something..

Figured some of you guys might have some knowledge to share on the subject.

thanks
no flash but hands down ipad. great for you and great for your kid with toooons of educational apps
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

We had two leap pads for the kids. Their software SUCKS. I had one just brick my daughters leap pad, 5 days out of warranty. I didn't bother with trying to fix it because I was constantly messing with those things.

We bought them iPad minis and they use the heck out of them. They FaceTime with each other on wifi and with neighbor kids. The games are usually a $1 or free. My daughter (7) typed her entire science project on our laptop because she learned QWERTY within months writing emails and texting the neighbor kids.

Sometimes giving them the adult versions of a product is more helpful to them in the real world. The startup price is a little steep but the ongoing cost is very low. Also, it's a heck of a lot easier on me because I can add games and educational things in seconds rather than 10 minutes.

I locked out safari and a few other things. Apple makes it pretty easy to protect the kids.

I bought these cases for them and they have worked out very well.

http://amzn.com/B009PPGRZ8

My wife and I don't regret the purchase. For a younger kid an iPod touch can do a lot for cheaper.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 PM

My kids steal the wife and I iPads but they each have kindle fires and love them. You can put anything on them... Thousands of free apps games and books and you can control the hell out of it thru amazon...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for all the input.. Doesn't surprise me that everyone is recommending Apple product.. My niece and nephew have them.. as well as many other family.. the face time would be a great asset to have here.. ABC mouse was the reason I was leaning for a flash supported device.. and I'm a bit of an Apple Hater.

Wife found this one
ice cream sandwich ?? Wow I'm out of touch with android stuff..

Toy Man .. how do you like that ABC mouse?
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM

I have an ASUS pad, it has a detachable keyboard, and can handle 2 memory cards AND a memory stick! I am happy with it and the Android apps, much cheaper than iPad, and the shell is metal, not plastic. Check it out,

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post

Wife found this one
ice cream sandwich ?? Wow I'm out of touch with android stuff..
For $100, I wouldn't hesitate.

Apple has more educational software, but very few parental controls.
I know it's not a concern for a 2yr old, but I highly recommend Funamo for andoid OS.
You can schedule apps to turn off at certain times, block websites, and it logs all their apps/websites/texts/call usage for you. An hour before bedtime, my son's phone will only allow him to use the phone function & alarm clock, no browser, no text, no games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
A week ago Congress was asking Tide to change their pod designs so teenagers would stop eating them.

Now this week the media thinks teenagers should determine gun control laws.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 PM

I bought my daughter the innotab 2s. She loves the games and it has servived threw a great deal of harsh treatment.

Just another one to look into.
Old 03-31-2013, 4:39 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by decepticon6551 View Post
For $100, I wouldn't hesitate.

Apple has more educational software, but very few parental controls.
I know it's not a concern for a 2yr old, but I highly recommend Funamo for andoid OS.
You can schedule apps to turn off at certain times, block websites, and it logs all their apps/websites/texts/call usage for you. An hour before bedtime, my son's phone will only allow him to use the phone function & alarm clock, no browser, no text, no games.
That funamo app is a nice feature. Apple products do have the downside as not being as customize able.
Old 03-31-2013, 5:09 PM
In Memoriam

ANY android tablet. say 7".

my cousin's kid can stay forever on theirs.
Old 04-01-2013, 6:03 AM

I would be cautious of any android tablet not running a minimum of 4.0, preferably 4.1. I highly recommend the Google Nexus 7 tablet for general use. i've fondled a few of them and are very nice.

With that said, my 2.5 year old son uses our ipad and iphones amazingly well. For early childhood development games/apps you really can not beat the ipad.

It can be difficult to find a game or app that runs on both Android and iOS due to the differences in programming languages used for each platform.

As others have mentioned, iOS does not have the same granularity as Android when customizing parental controls.

Hope this is useful.
Old 04-01-2013, 6:13 AM

My 3 year old uses my iPad 2. I have about 20 educational apps and games on there for him. S
Old 04-01-2013, 6:14 AM

My three-year-old uses my iPad 2. Got about 20 educational games and apps for him. Sometimes I use it to stream Sesame Street on Netflix.
Old 04-01-2013, 6:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nook tablet, < $200 brand new and about $100 refurbished (eg @ Frys). It's a very solid android tablet from a name brand company. Runs flash.

Kindle Fire probably ok as well.

I wouldn't buy Apple-anything for a 2.5 year old, be prepared to lose whatever you spent when the device is dropped or lost.
Old 04-02-2013, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

My 4 year old has an iPad Mini and an iPod Touch. My 1 year old has the full size iPad and an iPod Touch. All four are in cheap cases and my kids and their cousins beat the hell out of all of them. My 4 year old is pretty careful with his new iPad mini becasue Santa brought it for him and he really likes it but everything else gets pretty thrashed. I did purchase AppleCare+ for the mini so if he breaks it I'll get it replaced. But all 3 other devices are not insured and haven't broke.

The selection of the Apps from Apple App store is reason enough to go with an iPad. A new 16GB mini is only $330. My son has 4 movies and 64 apps on his 32GB mini. He also has an AppleTV in his room so he can beam games and movies from his iPad to his TV. He had a full size iPad since he was 2 years old (it's the one we gave our 1 year old when he got the mini). He's now extremely skilled at iPad use. He uses YouTube well and Safari if I help him. He kicks *** at games like Temple Run and Subway Surfer.

We limit TV/iPad use to under 1 hour a day.

IMO the Apple products are worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 04-02-2013, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

The other day at a family party I asked everyone to throw their iDevices on a chair. I have two kids and my 2 sisters have 2 kids each. So 6 adults and 6 kids. Every one of us and every kid has at least one Apple product. All the kids are under 6 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 04-02-2013, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Damn!!! ^^ thats insane.. lol

Happy I bought low and sold high with Appl.

I went ahead with the 9" tablet i linked.. found it on amazon for 120 or so shipped.. hopefully it will be legit.. if not .. only a minor investment.. Might end up getting an apple product.. for facetime to my niece and nephew.. and grandpa grampa aunt and another aunt ..
-Edmund Burke
- Phil Dalmolin

Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Kids will be fine with anything, but if they have a back button, they might grow up and take the long way home, instead of "holding up traffic making illegal lane changes with an Apple sticker on the back of their vehicle..." >
Old 04-02-2013, 3:13 PM

I bought my 3 year old a Google Nexus 7". Perfect for him and the wife and I use with him. My 7 year old has a Samsung Galaxy 7. If I were to compare the two, I'd say over all the Nexus is a better product. If you need a camera on the back, the Galaxy would be your choice.

Both came in at about $199. Get a nice sturdy case like a Otterbox or Gumdrop. My kids have both dropped theirs several times and they both keep ticking.

Last edited by vr6veedub; 04-02-2013 at 3:15 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 3:23 PM
Banned

coloring book and crayons
Old 04-02-2013, 3:48 PM

I've heard good things about the Nabi Tablet for kiddo's. They are fairly inexpensive and can survive being dropped-with very few Apple products live through. Check them out, they are Android, and quite easy to use.

http://www.nabitablet.com/
Old 04-05-2013, 2:23 PM

I totally recommend an Ipad. Go to your local best buy...they usually have open box specials and you maybe able to get another discount off the open box price. Ipads are very easy to use and soon enough your child will be showing you how to use it. Cheers and good luck to you.
Old 04-23-2013, 2:55 PM

Tablets tend to break easily when dropped. Kids tend to drop things often. The 2 don't go well together.

Having said that, there are a ton of knockoff tablets these days that can be had with android for under $100 (like the one you posted from walmart), or name brand tablets starting at about $200 (like the kindle fire).

I recommend getting something that has at least a 1ghz processor, and 8gb of memory. The Nabi 2 is probably one of the best tablets out there today for kids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AqYiYhQj5w
Old 04-24-2013, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Etch-a-sketch. The battery last forever on that thing. And its easy to use and monitor what they do.
Old 04-24-2013, 2:31 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

We have had good luck with the Leap Pad for the little one. The iPads are reserved for the grown folk 'round here.
Old 04-24-2013, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Our 4 year old grand son loves his NOOK Color (now I think they call it the HD). Lots of learning/game apps storage for movies. He can also use his mom's Ipad.