Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360PA View Post
Socal guns does leave plenty to be desired. While they seemed to be well stocked on both guns and ammo their policies/customer service isn't that great. I walked in and roamed the store without acknowledgement. I left the store and returned with another member who was selling me a gun for a PPT. They said it might be a wait. The guy who helped us stated that they "prioritize" their customers. Now, I understand there isn't any money in it for the FFL to do a PPT and they are prohibited by law from charging more, but man that was a terrible feeling to walk in there asking for them to complete the transaction. Made me feel like I was the one being unreasonable. To top it off, they said they cannot keep the gun in the factory case for storage and made me take it and all the accessories with me when I left.

I went there before the "re-opening". They were *******s then, and they are *******s now. I just wanted to give them a second chance since I like to support LGS's.
Only been there once, and won't go back. I had pre-ordered a Springfield XD .40 in bi-tone, and gone in to cancel the order - no gun arrived yet. They asked why, and I told them I bought an off-roster XDm .45. They gave me loads of FUD about ATF coming to my house to seize the gun because it was illegal. I put a thread about it some time ago on this forum...

Anyway, so many better places to go...

Thanks,
Michael J.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:42 PM

I second Royal Pawn and Loan on El Cajon Blvd. I have an M1 Garand and an M1 Carbine on layaway with them. Great selection, they tend to get alot of C&R stuff (M1s, Springfields, Mausers, etc.) they also have some off-roster stuff on consignment from time-to-time (they had a Beretta 96FS I wanted, but someone bought it). 90 day layaway with only ten percent down, can't beat that.

Their ammo selection ain't that great and is kinda overpriced.

Turner's is alright, they get their ammo shipments on Tuesday morning and usually have everything in stock most of the time. Bought a 1942 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant from them for $129 that looked like it had never been fired and was free of cosmoline. They get really busy on Saturdays.

Fine Firearms is definitely my favorite LGS though. Great service and selection, and tons of old long guns! The guys there are awesome, and will take the time to talk to you and answer any questions you may have. Can't say enough good things about them.

Last edited by m1carbine; 01-11-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
A little pricey, but good people there - Team Big Shot. they're new in that location and stock fluctuates a lot. They've been adding a lot to the store so displays etc are filling up! I bought my XD9 and Remington shotgun there.

I once asked them if they could single shot an XDS 9 since they had one and they go "you don't have to single shot them, its the same gun as the XD subcompact"
Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 PM

Since this thread popped back up:

North County Firearms won't get any of my money ever. Met a calgunner there to do a PPT. They were not busy, four employees and only two actively helping customers. We get greeted and asked what they could do for us. We told them we wanted to do a PPT.

The response was "you need an appointment." That was it nothing else. I know, their store their rules. Still if they wanted to have another loyal customer they had the chance to make an impression and failed. I'd have understood if it was "take a number" busy like Turners, but it wasn't and I'd done one there in the past and they had no appointment policy then or just took care of me anyway.

Went down the road to Turners, took a number, and was helped in a courteous and friendly manner by a manager there, Ryan.

North County Firearms gets an F and added to a growing list of shops that have left me unsatisfied.

Glock 20C at indoor range....
http://youtu.be/T4bP8DnhT9Q
Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg1966 View Post

North County Firearms won't get any of my money ever. Met a calgunner there to do a PPT. They were not busy, four employees and only two actively helping customers. We get greeted and asked what they could do for us. We told them we wanted to do a PPT.

The response was "you need an appointment." That was it nothing else. I know, their store their rules. Still if they wanted to have another loyal customer they had the chance to make an impression and failed. I'd have understood if it was "take a number" busy like Turners, but it wasn't and I'd done one there in the past and they had no appointment policy then or just took care of me anyway.

Went down the road to Turners, took a number, and was helped in a courteous and friendly manner by a manager there, Ryan.

North County Firearms gets an F and added to a growing list of shops that have left me unsatisfied.
Gunther guns in carlsbad. Help them out. A little bit more of a drive but best service you will ever get.

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 01-12-2014, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsouls View Post
I second the below recommendations. Good experiences at both locations.

Fine Firearms of La Mesa - Calguns supporter (good customer service / very knowledgeable)

P2K Range in El Cajon - Strong Calguns/CGSSA supporter (good customer service / good selection / well kept range / hosts SD Chapter Events)

Fine Firearms is a great store!! very knowledgeable and friendly (imo)
Old 01-12-2014, 8:19 AM

Default Recent assessment of San Diego gun shops/ranges

Quote:

I was in there when that happened and my jaw dropped. All the times I have talked to them about stuff they have been helpful.

Last edited by gigglemonkee; 01-20-2014 at 7:22 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 7:56 AM
Banned

I use to be a big fan of North County Firearms. I've spent thousands of dollars there from when they first opened. I started to use DAS as my go to LGS the past few months since they're customer service is top notch.

After about 5-6 months, I walked into North County Firearms last month to see what they had. I was basically shut out, ignored, and I simply walked out.

I'll stick to DAS.
Old 01-13-2014, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
I use to be a big fan of North County Firearms. I've spent thousands of dollars there from when they first opened. I started to use DAS as my go to LGS the past few months since they're customer service is top notch.

After about 5-6 months, I walked into North County Firearms last month to see what they had. I was basically shut out, ignored, and I simply walked out.

I'll stick to DAS.

Das has gotten a lot better. They used to laugh when I wanted to special order something. Now they check prices and will order it.
Old 01-13-2014, 7:10 PM

I had a great experience at TDS, purchased a Sig and the staff was nice and courteous.

Support your local biz!
Old 01-15-2014, 1:19 PM

I guess I will throw in my .02 for my favorite places.

Fine firearms in La Mesa. Always had a great experience there, purchased my daughters youth rifle there (.22 single shot bolt action).

DGM in Santee. This is where I always go for the range. They also allow my daughter (who is 6) to shoot with me. Most other ranges are 8 years old. Friendly staff and my most recent purchase (para USA elite 1911) was there. Been many times when not busy and not been charged more than an hour on the range even when over the time.
Old 01-15-2014, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

I like P2K, have been there for about 20 years, prolly my favorite, always worth the drive. I tend to "offer" respect & have always got it back from the girls at P2K. Morena DGM is about 5 mins away, I'll shoot there off hours for a quick trip. I've bought plenty at DGM, lots of attitude sometimes. SoCal, put any face at the counter, it's still the same. Little to no accessories, overpriced ammo & guns. I'll browse at Turners, I'm in the KM area a lot, I'll never buy another firearm at Turners, I don't care how cheap it is. Far too many defective firearms come from Turners, this has been going on for over 20 years (I'm 49). Ca. Police Equip, lots of accessories & the guys always nice, LE discount program.
Old 01-15-2014, 9:40 PM
CGN Contributor

I can definitely second the recommendation for Gunther Guns. It's a great family owned business and they do transfers.
Old 01-22-2014, 5:46 AM

I'd recommend Gunther Guns as well. I took my wife in there this weekend to look at some "starter" guns for her and she was treated very professionally. She was asked a lot of questions and shown several guns. They had a good selection to look at. She liked the little Browning 1911-22 a lot and soon she'll be able to get to the range with me.

So yeah, I'd highly recommend the store and the staff at Gunthers.

Sig P226 X5 Competition
Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Not a great fan of DGM on Morena.
I have bought there and it was just ok. felt like I was doing them a favor. Purchase pickup took forever, and over an hour for transfers.
American is just rude, try not to shoot there or buy there. P2k is nice, and I like Turners and Fine Firearms.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Yes, SO Cal Guns was closed. Yes, they just reopened.

Also, there's Team Big Shot on Miramar road - a good bunch of people. Prices seem a little high - especially their FFL fees (I go to Gussler's in Santee).

Also, Wiser Owl on Miramar Rd - not the best selection, no longer an FFL...

Poway Weapons and Gear is a hit or miss - IMO. I bought a rifle from them, seemed to go OK. Sometimes it seems they tolerate you when you ask for questions or service, other times, not so bad...However, they are responsible (from what I hear) for the HUGE shooting range opening up in Spring '14! I'm happy!
I was just at wiser owl yesterday, still an FFL, still good service
Old 03-23-2014, 3:23 AM

Dros'd a pistol at CA Police Equipment today. Didn't get a good vibe at all. Ordered the pistol from galleryofguns.com. The guy helping me seemed put off that I got the pistol for about $300 less than the compact version they had in store. Not sure if I'll do business there again.

Last edited by sjg1966; 03-23-2014 at 3:25 AM..
Old 03-23-2014, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Dros'd a pistol at CA Police Equipment today. Didn't get a good vibe at all. Ordered the pistol from galleryofguns.com. The guy helping me seemed put off that I got the pistol for about $300 less than the compact version they had in store. Not sure if I'll do business there again.
The old Ca Police Eq was pretty good. When Lee sold the shop to the current band of morons it when south real fast.
Old 03-23-2014, 7:05 AM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Smile

Quote:
I gave Fine Firearms a chance to match prices, they passed while just fingerbanging the snot out of the gun I had in mind.

Go with Gusslers or DeChiels. Business is business and Don and Mitch will take care of you without the attitude.
Old 03-23-2014, 7:51 AM

I just went to P2K yesterday morning for the first time. That place is awesome! Really clean, nicely set-up, and nice lighting. Not sure why everyone hates it. The only two hings I didn't care for was the cardboard size for the target holders and the hourly pricing, otherwise I had 0 complaints. Its shocking that people complain about that safety test that are basically common sense questions and the ~10 minute ceasefires that you aren't charged for.
Old 03-23-2014, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy87 View Post
I was just at wiser owl yesterday, still an FFL, still good service
I saw they posted on their Facebook that they were t able to do anything FFL stuff for a couple days/weeks but then posted they were back up and running. not sure what the reason was though.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

My favorite go to FFL is a fellow in South S.D. County (Chula Vista). He has a home business and can get anything that is available, lots of AR stuff and is very fair on DROS/Transfer fees (PPTs). He's a former Marine, family man and all round good guy. A pleasure to do business with. PM me if you want contact info.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 03-23-2014, 11:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Gunthers does transfers for $25. No wait, nice and clean too.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Gunthers does transfers for $25. No wait, nice and clean too.
online transfers? last time they quoted me $75 or $100 + DROS. will have to check them out next time... though my next 2 are off-roster :/

been using paul johnson in escondido... about $65 for DROS+xfer

Sent from my Apple Galaxy Note 7
Old 03-23-2014, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
I gave Fine Firearms a chance to match prices, they passed while just fingerbanging the snot out of the gun I had in mind.

Go with Gusslers or DeChiels. Business is business and Don and Mitch will take care of you without the attitude.
+ for Gusslers/Straight up guy!!! Stay far, far away from Mitch -a weasel to say the least! Ask any informed long term member of SBR&G
Old 03-24-2014, 8:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid52 View Post
Stay far, far away from Mitch -a weasel to say the least! Ask any informed long term member of SBR&G
I've never death with de Chiel, but I know there was bad blood between him and SBR&GC over land. I don't remember the details, but I do recall I couldn't pick a clear "right" or "wrong" there, and that really doesn't have anything to do with the firearms business. If he's close to someone, I'd suggest that they look for reviews by people who have transferred guns through him rather than angry posts by people who are maybe just running on what SBR&GC says without any knowledge of the other side of the issue.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 03-24-2014, 6:31 PM

I bought a rifle from Mitch Da Chiel. No issues and it was a pleasant/no hassle transaction. My only issue is his limits business hours which made my 10 day wait a 13 day wait. I would still buy from him though. I think he's more than fair with his prices.

Last edited by sjg1966; 03-24-2014 at 7:21 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 PM

Last edited by chicanomarine; 03-27-2014 at 7:25 AM..
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Maybe it's my lack of attitude being reflected back.

I have personally been in the garage and listened to the stupidest things come out of the mouths of young service members and Don just nodded and did the paperwork.
Old 03-27-2014, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Maybe it's my lack of attitude being reflected back.

I have personally been in the garage and listened to the stupidest things come out of the mouths of young service members and Don just nodded and did the paperwork.
Me too.
Old 03-27-2014, 7:17 AM

Glad to hear it

Last edited by chicanomarine; 03-27-2014 at 7:24 AM..
Old 03-27-2014, 8:09 AM

I have purchased most of my new firearms from IronSights in Oceanside.
The staff is busy but friendly and their prices are good. if you want something you do not see just chat with them and they can order it up for you.