Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-20-2013, 9:00 AM

Default What is needed to legal transport a rifle?

My CZ455 combo kit 22/17HMR rifle is coming out of jail this week. What is required for carrying her home from the gun shop in terms of a case? It will be in the factory cardboard box, but other than being locked in the trunk, what is the reg on carrying a rifle around in California now?

Do I need to buy a locking case?
Old 03-20-2013, 9:12 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

locking in the trunk pretty much satisfies most needs.
keep mags empty and make sure the rifle is unloaded.

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 03-20-2013, 9:38 AM

You should be good locked in the trunk, empty, mags empty etc., specially is you leave it in the box and have your paperwork in hand showing you just purchased it...

That said you will most likely want/need a case at some point so unless the shop is way out of line on their prices, might be a good idea to pick one up..
Old 03-20-2013, 9:50 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

It should be fine in the carboard box it came in for transporting home. Be aware that if you are with 1000ft of a school zone when transporting a firearm that it is required to be in a locked case and out of reach, ie. in the trunk.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The trunk acts as a locked case. You can have loaded magazines next to the rifle, just not inserted into the rifles mag well. No need for any paperwork; longguns are not registered in this State until 1-1-2014.

Enjoy your new Rifle..!

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
longguns are not registered in this State until 1-1-2014.

Enjoy your new Rifle..!
Is that a new or existing law? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Is that a new or existing law? Thanks.
AB 809 - Long Gun Registration Law 2014

AB 809 will require the registration of any newly purchased long guns, starting in 2014. Critics of this new gun law say it violates Second Amendment rights by forcing state registration of rifles and shotguns, and that the only value of long gun registration is in assisting governments to locate and confiscate firearms in the future. Law effective January, 1 2014.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:48 PM

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 3:09 PM

You can have the gun (unloaded) on your front seat (though I wouldn't recommend it) outside of a school zone. Putting it the trunk makes it safe for a school zone, and saves you from any hassle if pulled over (if they don't see the gun, then unlikely they will even ask you if you have one)
Old 03-20-2013, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
You can have the gun (unloaded) on your front seat (though I wouldn't recommend it) outside of a school zone. Putting it the trunk makes it safe for a school zone, and saves you from any hassle if pulled over (if they don't see the gun, then unlikely they will even ask you if you have one)
True this.....but when you get somewhere and want to walk with the Rifle (back to the house for instance) a new law just went into effect:

BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2013 Long guns must be transported in a completely enclosing case when not in a vehicle; if the case is designed as a gun case, no lock required. If the case is NOT designed as a gun case, must also be locked.

*So a zippered cloth gun case would work but it has to be completely zippered shut.

If carrying in a non-gun case, then you must have it locked before walking around with it. No open carry of rifles is the 'word'.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-20-2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_some_guy View Post
My CZ455 combo kit 22/17HMR rifle is coming out of jail this week. What is required for carrying her home from the gun shop in terms of a case? It will be in the factory cardboard box, but other than being locked in the trunk, what is the reg on carrying a rifle around in California now?

HERE IS ALL KINDS OF INFORMATION THAT CAN BE HELPFUL TO YOU AND OTHERS...http://oag.ca.gov/firearms
Old 03-20-2013, 3:47 PM

This is getting ****ed up
Old 03-20-2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
True this.....but when you get somewhere and want to walk with the Rifle (back to the house for instance) a new law just went into effect:

BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2013 Long guns must be transported in a completely enclosing case when not in a vehicle; if the case is designed as a gun case, no lock required. If the case is NOT designed as a gun case, must also be locked.

*So a zippered cloth gun case would work but it has to be completely zippered shut.

If carrying in a non-gun case, then you must have it locked before walking around with it. No open carry of rifles is the 'word'.

That's the one I was looking for.

Curious - does the cardboard box the manufacturer shipped the rifle in, count as a "case designed as a gun case"?

I mean, it is what the UPS guy delivered the rifle to the gun shop in after all.

Old 03-20-2013, 6:50 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default No you don't need a locking case or a trunk.

Quote:

You can bring it home in the cardboard box on the back seat, all that matters is that it isn't loaded.

The law referenced above is for carrying a rifle in public. It is highly unlikely anyone would bother you walking from the shop or FFLs front door to your car. Unless you planned to take a stroll through a mall on the way. All these laws are idiotic anyway, the police don't have time to camp out in front of gun stores to watch for people technically breaking a law because they are carrying a boxed rifle from the store to their car to take home.

These laws are just nusance laws to make it harder and harder to own and freely use a firearm in Comiefornia. NO ONE will be in less danger from a criminal because of these laws. They won't save any lives, make us safer, or have any positive effect what-so-ever. The idiot law makers in this state just don't like firearms in the hands of LAW ABIDING citizens and are determined to push their Stateist agenda down our throats. --RANT OFF --

Do know that it is a good idea to cover your firearms and anything related to shooting with a blanket if they are visible through the window of your car. That way you can avoid prying eyes and police searches.

I have an SUV and I always keep everything in the back covered including jackets, sports stuff, tools, etc. anyway. Just so I don't invite theft.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 03-20-2013 at 7:18 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRyder View Post
AB 809 - Long Gun Registration Law 2014

AB 809 will require the registration of any newly purchased long guns, starting in 2014. Critics of this new gun law say it violates Second Amendment rights by forcing state registration of rifles and shotguns, and that the only value of long gun registration is in assisting governments to locate and confiscate firearms in the future. Law effective January, 1 2014.
canada, which has roughly the same population as CA, had a long gun registry that they just recently scrapped. they had it for about 10 years IIRC. in the end the gov't decided it was too inefficient and moreover expensive to maintain. bear in mind, however, that their registry was supposed to be retroactive. there were a lot of *cough* canoe accidents *cough* right around the time they enacted it.
hopefully CA will take a chapter from canada's book, but the hubris of our legislators will likely not allow that

Last edited by dogfood; 03-20-2013 at 8:49 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
That's the one I was looking for.

Curious - does the cardboard box the manufacturer shipped the rifle in, count as a "case designed as a gun case"?

I mean, it is what the UPS guy delivered the rifle to the gun shop in after all.

Yeah, but he is exempted from the UOC (penal code 26405 subsection k)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 PM

I remember the guy at the shop explaining that to someone else who was picking up a rifle. He loaned him a case to carry out to the parking lot. The neighborhood ninnys are watching his store, looking for a reason to shut him down.
Old 03-21-2013, 4:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I remember the guy at the shop explaining that to someone else who was picking up a rifle. He loaned him a case to carry out to the parking lot. The neighborhood ninnys are watching his store, looking for a reason to shut him down.
That's Evil..^^^^^

I suggest that from now on, every Cal Gunner that buys a Rifle/shotgun go ahead and buy a soft zippered rifle case for legal transport. No use having our fellow members having legal issues over some State Mandated law.

When you walk out of that Gun Store, have that zippered case with you.

Old 03-22-2013, 2:08 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I have a new soft case for pick up today of my AR.
Old 04-25-2013, 2:01 PM

Default What is needed to legal transport a rifle?

So, I was recently told that beginning 4-1-2014, that We would need a hardsided case, and locked for long guns , just as we do for handguns. For transporting. I can't find any refrence to this new law in the forums or on the internet.
Have I been lied to??
Old 04-25-2013, 2:31 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelousmauser4sale View Post
So, I was recently told that beginning 4-1-2014, that We would need a hardsided case, and locked for long guns , just as we do for handguns. For transporting. I can't find any refrence to this new law in the forums or on the internet.
Have I been lied to??
Where and who told you that a hard sided case was required for handguns? That is the farthest thing from the truth.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 04-25-2013, 4:56 PM

Default what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelousmauser4sale View Post
Have I been lied to??
If you have an evil AK, AR etc. semi auto it has to have a hard case and locked to be transported.
Thats what i have to transport my FEG Sporter in now, while my nice quiet happy faced Mosin/shot gun/Marlin can be transported in a soft case because they are not evil.
Old 04-25-2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
About a month or so ago, I was at Ammo Bros and saw a guy go from his car, walk across the LEO entry to the public area with his shotgun in his hand.

I was like whoaa, guess he doesn't know about the new law
Old 04-25-2013, 6:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by small hole shooter View Post
If you have an evil AK, AR etc. semi auto it has to have a hard case and locked to be transported.
Thats what i have to transport my FEG Sporter in now, while my nice quiet happy faced Mosin/shot gun/Marlin can be transported in a soft case because they are not evil.
Not true. Please quote the PC that states that.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 04-25-2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Not true. Please quote the PC that states that.
X2.
Old 04-26-2013, 5:33 AM

How can so many people be so misinformed about this kinda stuff??
Old 04-26-2013, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by small hole shooter View Post
FALSE!!
Old 04-26-2013, 6:51 AM
retired Goon

Actual Ca laws...

Penal Code 26400
(a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun in an incorporated city or city and county when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in the incorporated city or city and county.

Penal Code 26405
Section 26400 does not apply to, or affect, the carrying of an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun in any of the following circumstances:
(c) When the firearm is either in a locked container or encased and it is being transported directly between places where a person is not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Penal Code 16505
For purposes of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4, a firearm is "encased" when that firearm is enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of that firearm exposed.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-26-2013, 7:00 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by somiskid View Post
It isn't simple, and the chances of getting correct info from a gun store, the doj, or a cop, are slim.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somiskid View Post
Because people just tell them they are wrong and don't explain why or what part is wrong.

Evil looking rifles don't have to be in locked containers but registered assault rifles do.

California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
Old 04-28-2013, 6:26 AM

Quote:

Total BS - A case is only needed to transport your rifle on public property. Walking out form the store to your car in their parking lot is not a violation.
Old 04-28-2013, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9 View Post
Total BS - A case is only needed to transport your rifle on public property. Walking out form the store to your car in their parking lot is not a violation.
It's not a violation but it still doesn't look good for the gun store to have a bunch of people running around with weapons out in the open. Especially if the store is in some sort of shopping center.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 AM

What about transporting rifle in a pickup truck. I know pistol needs to have cable lock + lock box to travel in cab (at least that's what I was told when I bought my first pistol) but what about a bolt action? Also my ffl said that a locking tool box on a truck isn't the same as a trunk with a car, said it was a "grey area"... Is this true? So many rules for legit folks to keep up on while gang bangers just cruise around with them in the cup holder (kidding... Sort of )
Old 04-28-2013, 1:28 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
What about transporting rifle in a pickup truck. I know pistol needs to have cable lock + lock box to travel in cab (at least that's what I was told when I bought my first pistol) but what about a bolt action? Also my ffl said that a locking tool box on a truck isn't the same as a trunk with a car, said it was a "grey area"... Is this true? So many rules for legit folks to keep up on while gang bangers just cruise around with them in the cup holder (kidding... Sort of )
Pistols need to be in a locked container, in the absence of a locked container, one can use the trunk of a car. A cable lock is not required in addition to the locked container or trunk.

Best to review the CalGuns wiki to clarify any questions.

Old 04-28-2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post

A rife can be transported unloaded in the cab of a pickup truck - you would only need to have in a case if you had to traverse with the rife on public property (sidewalk or public parking lot) to your truck,

A pistol can be stored in a tool box as long as it's locked
Old 04-28-2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Where and who told you that a hard sided case was required for handguns? That is the farthest thing from the truth.
A salesperson...on commission?!

Robert