Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-04-2011, 8:11 AM

Now just waiting for the permit pick up!

My interview was along the same lines as stated by 15th above. The Lt. provided some examples of how the CCW can be taken away, i.e., don't be a dumbass once you're granted a CCW, regardless of whether or not a gun is involved.

The process to date:

1. Go online to https://app.timetrade.com/tc/login.d...eriff.eldorado. Register and set an appointment to turn in your application.

2. At the initial appointment, you will turn in your completed application and go over your answers with the technician / clerk, pay the $125 fee (includes Livescan), do the Livescan finger prints, and take a picture for the permit. Should take about 10-15 minutes.

3. EDCo SO will call you to schedule an interview once they get your background check back from FBI, DOJ and any other counties you've lived in within the past 5 years.

4. Interview with EDCo SO officer or deputy to review your good cause, get to know you, explain the responsibilities of CCW, etc. At this point, they will also verify your listed weapons are serviceable and you are knowledgeable in the operation of each. (Transport your listed weapons per law and leave them in your vehicle until asked to inspect them.)

5. EDCo SO Records Department will call to schedule an appointment to come down to Records to do the thumb print for the permit and to pick up the permit.

6. Go to EDCo SO Records to give the thumb print for your permit and pick it up. Bring with you the certificate of completion for your 8-hour minimum CCW training class. (Thanks for the reminder, konata!) Leave with your shiny new permit.

As has been stated before, EDCo wants you to take at least an 8-hour CCW course for the initial permit. It needs to be completed prior to Step 6 above. My personal timeline has been approximately 6 weeks between Step 2 and Step 4, and approximately 4 weeks between Step 4 and Step 6. Having no idea of the timeline, I took my class right after Step 2. If you're at all unsure of whether or not you will be approved, you should wait until after Step 4 to take the class. I did not ask about any time limit between taking the class and final permit pick up.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by sacto929; 03-04-2011 at 1:12 PM.. Reason: Add process steps....
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Very nice write up. Thanks. Just one thing - CCW class before picking up the permit?
Old 03-04-2011, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konata88 View Post
Very nice write up. Thanks. Just one thing - CCW class before picking up the permit?
Updated the above per your reminder....
Old 03-04-2011, 1:31 PM

I find most of my students will take the course after the first interview/application submission takes place.

Sacto929 lays the process out very accuratley as it is working right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Also, don't forget, bring a slower friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic32 View Post
i was hoping for a 1911. very disappointing. it's like you are getting ready to have a threesome with jessica alba and scarlett johansen and finding out they're both dudes...
Old 03-14-2011, 6:46 PM

I called to make my final appt. today and the earliest they had was the 11th of April!
Bummer.
Took my "training" this weekend. Went well I guess.
Old 03-15-2011, 3:44 PM

Thumbs up Process Timeline

1. 01/05/11 - Walked in application.
2. 01/19/11 - Initial application-review / interview appointment. (+14 days / 14 days total)
3. 02/22/11 - Face-to-Face Interview - Weapon's check (+34 days / 48 days total)
4. 03/14/11 - CCW License Issued (+20 days / 68 days total)

If you measure from 01/19/11 to 03/14/11 it's only 54 days. The initial 14 days from 01/05/11 to 01/19/11 was due to them failing to find my application until I called in to verify ... then they found it.

So about 2 months. But who's complaining?
Old 03-15-2011, 5:09 PM

Default Schools Restriction on EDSO Permits

As of right now, when you receive your EDSO CCW permit, you will also receive a restrictions page that states that you can not carry on school grounds. This was brought to my attention by one of my recent students. I contacted Sheriff D'Agostini immediately, as this was something that he aimed to remove from the restrictions. He stated that he would look into this and update it accordingly.

I thought you all should know that it's being handled.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 03-16-2011, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
As of right now, when you receive your EDSO CCW permit, you will also receive a restrictions page that states that you can not carry on school grounds. This was brought to my attention by one of my recent students. I contacted Sheriff D'Agostini immediately, as this was something that he aimed to remove from the restrictions. He stated that he would look into this and update it accordingly.

I thought you all should know that it's being handled.

Wes--

Please work with the Sheriff to eliminate this policy. We appreciate your efforts.

However, the stated "restrictions page" does not limit where the license is valid. Per our own CalGuns Wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...the_license.3F),
Where is concealed carry allowed by the license?
Unless limited by a 12050(b) restriction on the license, a license is valid in the entire state.
Specific exemptions allowing concealed carry for licensees under 12050 are

Penal Code 171b public meetings
Penal Code 171c State Capitol and related areas
Penal Code 171d Governor's mansion and Legislator's residences
Penal Code 626.9(l) School zones (K-12 and college/university)

If one follows the link to 12050(b), one will find the following:
(b)A license may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(c)Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be indicated on any license issued.
What this means to us peons, as I read the law, is that our permits need to state, on the permit itself, any restrictions on the license. I have not seen an EDCo permit in person, yet , but bombmaster posted a thread not long ago regarding carrying in a bar, and the restriction was printed right on the face of his Sac Co permit. This restriction was mentioned during my interview, but nothing about any other restrrictions.

There is a CGN thread sticky trying to keep tabs on this stuff here.

I hope that I'm correct and thorough and not spreading any FUD....

Last edited by sacto929; 03-16-2011 at 7:01 AM.. Reason: Add link...
Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 PM

Default CA PC 12050(b) & (c)

I certainly will also bring to the Sheriff's attention that CA PC 12050(b) & (c) state:

"(b)A license may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(c)Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be indicated on any license issued."

There are two things that I really want you all to keep in mind ... and this is not directed at anyone specifically, just for the sake of the passer by who may get the wrong idea from scanning the content of these posts rather than thoroughly reading them. First, Sheriff D'Agostini's intentions are in the right place so, things like this will be fixed as they are brought up. Second, please don't become a test case by violating a Sheriff's Department policy, just because you have read the law and see an inconsistency. You won't like the process of fighting that fight (if you get caught). Policies like the one were discussing here will get changed shortly. The Sheriff has a number of matters throughout the department, CCW and otherwise, to get up to his standards. It all takes focused time and effort. Unfortunately, he can only tend to so much per day. He really is doing a superb job given the circumstances. Look how far we've come on the CCW issue just since January!!

I know we all feel the same on this but, I want to say that I'm really glad to see you, the good people in society, getting the legal authority to be armed in public! This is the way it should be.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 PM

Default Renew Early

I just got off the phone with EDSO Records. They are requiring an appointment now to even drop off renewal applications. I expire in two weeks which in the past was plenty of time to renew. Now the first appointment for me is 22 days after my expiration date.
Old 03-22-2011, 7:40 AM

Just received the call from the records office that permit is all approved and just need to drop off documentation that ccw course has been completed and pick up permit....earliest appt for that is 4/26..almost 5 weeks out now...they are slammed
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkfan View Post
I just got off the phone with EDSO Records. They are requiring an appointment now to even drop off renewal applications. I expire in two weeks which in the past was plenty of time to renew. Now the first appointment for me is 22 days after my expiration date.
I'll see what I can do to help.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:35 PM

As a quick heads up to folks looking for info on the EDCo CCW process, the Sheriff's website has been updated. The current info is located here.
My guns haven't killed any friends or family ever since I sat down with them and had a long talk about how that behavior just isn't acceptable in my household. I encourage all gun owners to sit down with their guns and have the same talk. Its the responsibility of all gun owners to ensure their guns just don't go off on their own killing people.
Old 04-11-2011, 3:55 PM

I picked up my permit today!!!!

I was given a credit card style card along with the old laminated card that measures 3"x4".

I was told that the CC style was given because John promised it in his campaign, but that the DOJ doesn't recognize it so I need to carry the other as well??? I'm not sure why then he would give us the CC one if it holds no value.

Here are the two cards I got today with my info redacted.

I am by no means complaining; I want that to be clear. I am just informing/looking for info on this conundrum.
Old 04-11-2011, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleup16 View Post
I was given a credit card style card along with the old laminated card that measures 3"x4".

I was told that the CC style was given because John promised it in his campaign, but that the DOJ doesn't recognize it so I need to carry the other as well??? I'm not sure why then he would give us the CC one if it holds no value.

I am by no means complaining; I want that to be clear. I am just informing/looking for info on this conundrum.
The DOJ may not recognize the CC style, however maybe the EDSO will, since it's issued in their county...not a fact, a possibility.
Old 04-12-2011, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleup16 View Post
I'm not sure why then he would give us the CC one if it holds no value.
First off, congratulations. It's a great feeling!

My view on why BOTH licenses were issued to you is ... Perhaps EDSO is working with CA DOJ to get the CC version approved, and if so, you've already got it and they don't have to issue it later. Did they say anything at all that might lead you to believe this might be the case?
Old 04-28-2011, 1:12 PM

So I received my CCW permit yesterday...they did not issue the CC style permit that doubleup16 shows above...guess there was no reason for it?!?! But my question is this...the laminated permit is HUGE...about 50% larger than a credit card or driver's lic. So, it doesn't fit into a wallet as is...how do you store these?? Can these be folded to fit in wallet? Will the lamination break apart if folded? What do any of you do? Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeferd View Post
So I received my CCW permit yesterday...they did not issue the CC style permit that doubleup16 shows above...guess there was no reason for it?!?! But my question is this...the laminated permit is HUGE...about 50% larger than a credit card or driver's lic. So, it doesn't fit into a wallet as is...how do you store these?? Can these be folded to fit in wallet? Will the lamination break apart if folded? What do any of you do? Thanks
It folds just fine....
My guns haven't killed any friends or family ever since I sat down with them and had a long talk about how that behavior just isn't acceptable in my household. I encourage all gun owners to sit down with their guns and have the same talk. Its the responsibility of all gun owners to ensure their guns just don't go off on their own killing people.
Old 04-28-2011, 6:01 PM

Thanks Sacto...any word from those in the know (ccwtrainer) on the "restrictions" received with permit regarding school grounds? Also, there were restrictions on carrying "where service of alcoholic beverages is the primary function"...we have several spots that we go to for dinner...i.e Purple Place or Manderes that have bars, but also serve good food...so those are now off limits?? How do you distinguish which are ok and which are not?? Thanks for any input
Old 04-28-2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeferd View Post
Thanks Sacto...any word from those in the know (ccwtrainer) on the "restrictions" received with permit regarding school grounds? Also, there were restrictions on carrying "where service of alcoholic beverages is the primary function"...we have several spots that we go to for dinner...i.e Purple Place or Manderes that have bars, but also serve good food...so those are now off limits?? How do you distinguish which are ok and which are not?? Thanks for any input
No word yet on the restriction situation. When I had my interview with the Lt., I asked for clarification on the alcohol service situation. He indicated that the intent was to keep ccw out of bars. I am personally going to use the following guideline: if there's a sign on the door stating, "no persons under 21 allowed," then it's a bar. If not, it's a restaurant first and I won't sit at a bar inside.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto929 View Post
No word yet on the restriction situation. When I had my interview with the Lt., I asked for clarification on the alcohol service situation. He indicated that the intent was to keep ccw out of bars. I am personally going to use the following guideline: if there's a sign on the door stating, "no persons under 21 allowed," then it's a bar. If not, it's a restaurant first and I won't sit at a bar inside.
Nicely said. That's precisely how I'd approach it too. The Sheriff still hasn't given me any word on the school zone issue. I'll post his updated policy as soon as I hear anything.

Old 04-29-2011, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
Nicely said. That's precisely how I'd approach it too. The Sheriff still hasn't given me any word on the school zone issue. I'll post his updated policy as soon as I hear anything.
Thanks for the input guys....I'll keep checking back for any policy updates
Old 05-11-2011, 6:00 PM

How long is he in office for? My office's move got pushed back till Oct 2012. I spend my weekends there but I know that doesn't qualify me as a county resident.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim713 View Post
How long is he in office for? My office's move got pushed back till Oct 2012. I spend my weekends there but I know that doesn't qualify me as a county resident.
Sheriff D'Agostini will at least maintain his position until January of 2015. It's a 4 year term and as long as he runs again, he is pretty much going to win for another 4 years. The incumbent almost never loses an election for the position of Sheriff.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom16Fan View Post
EDSO requires a quick appointment to go over your application with you prior to "submittal". Is essentially a 15 minute review or help filling the application out so there are no mistakes.

Myself and several folks have seen this process and it has gone very smoothly and the deputies are polite and pleasant. The process has changed ALOT. Including most importantly "personal protection" being the only good cause required.

Keep in mind the new Sheriff is just that...brand new. Sheriff D'agostini will need time to rettrain his staff in cases where they are not following the new and streamlined procedures. This SO office has been doing things one way...the wrong way for a long time.

Get down to the records office and ask for an interview. Fill out the standard CAL DOJ CCW application appropriately so when you get your interview you are just reviewing it. No questions have been asked during this interview regardng cause, background, need, etc...they only seem to be making sure it is filled out accurately so it doesnt get kicked back. This is very fast and polite.

Who knows, in many cases, after this, you may not be required to even get interviewed...
I've read that some Sheriff's departments will accept an application in which just two words were used as your good cause statement "Personal protection"... Is that the case here or does one need to elaborate?
Old 05-17-2011, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDustin View Post
I've read that some Sheriff's departments will accept an application in which just two words were used as your good cause statement "Personal protection"... Is that the case here or does one need to elaborate?
Although "personal protection" or "self defense" will be accepted as good cause for your CCW application with the El Dorado Sheriff's Department, I'd recommend writing a nice, short sentence that states something like this, "I am respecetfully requesting a CCW for the protection of myself and my family." It's just a bit more personable and polite.

Old 05-18-2011, 8:47 AM

What actually determines which county I am a resident of? My house is in EDC but I stay in San Francisco during the week for work.
Old 05-19-2011, 2:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim713 View Post
What actually determines which county I am a resident of? My house is in EDC but I stay in San Francisco during the week for work.
It is based on your drivers license address.
Old 05-19-2011, 2:21 PM
Banned

Made my appointment online the other day to turn in my application and it is not until July 8th. The suspense is going to drive my crazy. Oh well, it gives me new time to pick up a new firearm since I really do not have anything I would like to use as a concealed piece. My old 1911 is a bit heavy and bulky.
Old 05-22-2011, 5:40 PM

Default Discrepancies between the EDSO offices...

Well I finally went by to get my re-app at the SLT office. I was told by the tech there that the the Lt in charge wasn't going to permit more than 3 weapons on the permit, despite the fact that others have been allowed 5 from the main office in Placerville. When I call the Placerville office to check what really was the policy, they transferred me back to the Tahoe office for clarification, where the same tech proceeded to tell me the same 3 gun story and how she was tired of getting the same question every week. I guess the citizens of El Dorado county who have permits and live in the Tahoe Basin aren't permitted the same consideration the citizens outside the basin get. Very frustrating. I really had hoped the new Sheriff would straighten out this process, but it appears it's still got the arbitrariness and capriciousness many complain about in the CCW process. On the up side, volume of applications in Tahoe is much less and turn around it supposedly faster. I guess I'll be able to comment on that soon enough.

CCWInstructor: if you read this, it would be great to see what Sheriff A would have to say about this divergence in policy depending upon location.
Old 05-23-2011, 6:45 PM

TahoeSig,

I just sent the Sheriff a message. PM me your e-mail address and I'll update you with his reply.

Old 06-01-2011, 8:43 AM
Banned

Question in regards to filling out application:

Section 2 requires you to fill out any traffic citations, do I need to put down a traffic violation if I had it removed by going to a drivers safety class. I got a speeding ticket and then was able to take traffic school to remove it, but should I still put it on my application?

Also how do I show proof of ownership on my firearm, do I need to go get a letter or something from a firearm dealer?

Thanks for any information and assistance.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curley Red View Post
Question in regards to filling out application:

Section 2 requires you to fill out any traffic citations, do I need to put down a traffic violation if I had it removed by going to a drivers safety class. I got a speeding ticket and then was able to take traffic school to remove it, but should I still put it on my application?

Also how do I show proof of ownership on my firearm, do I need to go get a letter or something from a firearm dealer?

Thanks for any information and assistance.
You absolutely should include your traffic citation regardless of your attendance in traffic school. Traffic school doesn't actually remove the violation from your record. It merely removes the moving violation point that would have affected your insurance rate. Don't leave that citation out.

As for proof of ownership of your gun(s), I always recommend that people save and file their receipts and request that the FFL dealer print a copy of the DROS form for them at the time of purchase. It's actually written in CA PC12076(c)(4) that "If requested, a copy of the record of electronic or telephonic transfer shall be provided to the purchaser by the dealer." Here's the link to this on DOJ's website: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#12G

Although this can help you organize records in the future, this doesn't really help you right now. For your immediate situation, I gave a call to Danette at the Sheriff's Department. She advised me that you no longer have to show proof of ownership. She agreed to talk with you and answer any questions that you have. Look in your PM for her direct phone number.

Old 06-01-2011, 8:53 PM

My first appt. is June 27th. Cant wait.. Sacto thanks for the write up..

www.NorCalBroncos.com
Old 06-06-2011, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeSig View Post
Well I finally went by to get my re-app at the SLT office. I was told by the tech there that the the Lt in charge wasn't going to permit more than 3 weapons on the permit, despite the fact that others have been allowed 5 from the main office in Placerville. When I call the Placerville office to check what really was the policy, they transferred me back to the Tahoe office for clarification, where the same tech proceeded to tell me the same 3 gun story and how she was tired of getting the same question every week. I guess the citizens of El Dorado county who have permits and live in the Tahoe Basin aren't permitted the same consideration the citizens outside the basin get. Very frustrating. I really had hoped the new Sheriff would straighten out this process, but it appears it's still got the arbitrariness and capriciousness many complain about in the CCW process. On the up side, volume of applications in Tahoe is much less and turn around it supposedly faster. I guess I'll be able to comment on that soon enough.

CCWInstructor: if you read this, it would be great to see what Sheriff A would have to say about this divergence in policy depending upon location.
I just got this email directly from the Sheriff:

Hi Gray,

Sorry so long to get back to you on this. I gave direction to fix this.
John

You're set, Tahoe Sig. Please let me know if there are additional problems.
Old 06-07-2011, 8:17 PM

Thanks Gray:

CCWInstructor also inquired privately for me and was given a somewhat nebulous answer (thanks again CCWInstructor for taking the time and trouble). Good news is that a buddy of mine did just re-up through the SLT office and apparently had no issues with listing 5 weapons. So despite the on-going confusion, it would appear that Sheriff John has really followed through and improved the process as promised. Here's to re-electing him when the time comes! An individual in a political post (I just can't demean the man by calling him a politician) who actually does what he promises...virtually unheard of in California. Maybe there is hope for this state after all. Start with one and work from there.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeSig View Post
Thanks Gray:

CCWInstructor also inquired privately for me and was given a somewhat nebulous answer (thanks again CCWInstructor for taking the time and trouble). Good news is that a buddy of mine did just re-up through the SLT office and apparently had no issues with listing 5 weapons. So despite the on-going confusion, it would appear that Sheriff John has really followed through and improved the process as promised. Here's to re-electing him when the time comes! An individual in a political post (I just can't demean the man by calling him a politician) who actually does what he promises...virtually unheard of in California. Maybe there is hope for this state after all. Start with one and work from there.
Sheriff D'Agostini is the best thing to happen to El Dorado County in a very long time.
Old 06-12-2011, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
I just got this email directly from the Sheriff:

Hi Gray,

Sorry so long to get back to you on this. I gave direction to fix this.
John

You're set, Tahoe Sig. Please let me know if there are additional problems.
Thank you Gray and ccwtrainer for your efforts on these EDC matters!
Old 06-16-2011, 1:41 PM
Banned

July can't get here fast enough!

Last edited by Curley Red; 07-05-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

3 more days til I drop off my intial paperwork.